Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Inventor
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Jun 2009 at 11:52 PM
Default Non-default replacement meshes?
I'm new to the modding community. I have Milkshape and Postal, but I've never made a mesh that's successfully showed up in a game before. I want to make meshes that are don't replace others. I've used WesHowe's accessory mesh tutorial but I couldn't get it to work for non-default replacements.

How does one make non-default replacement meshes? I want to start with accessories.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 25th Jun 2009 at 11:55 PM
At this stage we cannot make non default replacements for ts3 hopefully though soon the modders will work this out
Field Researcher
#3 Old 26th Jun 2009 at 12:55 AM
Peggy Sims just uploaded one today... http://www.peggyzone.com/Sims3ObjectFemaleHair.html

~ h e l a e n e ~
https://www.patreon.com/helaene (free)
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#4 Old 26th Jun 2009 at 12:58 AM
Helaene: Thats not a new mesh - thats a default replacement

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#5 Old 26th Jun 2009 at 12:59 AM
That is not a non-replacement. It replaces the female mohawk.

Non-defaults should be coming quite soon.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Test Subject
#6 Old 26th Jun 2009 at 1:21 AM
Quote:
Peggy Sims just uploaded one today... http://www.peggyzone.com/Sims3ObjectFemaleHair.html

I actually tried to use that mesh from Peggysims and my game crashes everytime I try to use it
Worst part: now I removed it and I can't seem to re-use the mohawk cut anymore :/ sigh...
Does anyone else have this problem?
Field Researcher
#7 Old 26th Jun 2009 at 1:27 AM
(eep!) Just realized that - sorry guys!

Just fyi, I can use her replacement in game without crashing. Seems like there are a lot of little gaps and clipping issues, but nothing new there...

~ h e l a e n e ~
https://www.patreon.com/helaene (free)
Inventor
Original Poster
#8 Old 26th Jun 2009 at 2:06 AM
Eminence Grise
#9 Old 26th Jun 2009 at 2:28 AM
That's a new skin, not a new mesh. It's an accessory in the catalog. We can do "new" (reskinned) clothes and accessories, just not meshes (yet).
Inventor
Original Poster
#10 Old 26th Jun 2009 at 2:44 AM Last edited by Nekonyami : 26th Jun 2009 at 3:28 AM.
I see. Well, is it possible to make new full face make-up?

EDIT: Never mind, the CTU does it, right?
Forum Resident
#11 Old 26th Jun 2009 at 3:28 AM Last edited by traelia : 26th Jun 2009 at 3:33 AM. Reason: more to add
Does anyone have any idea how to fix the crash that Peggy's hair causes?
I'd really like to actually play the game with the hair instead of making a sim and then the game closes itself. -.-

I've tried reloading all the mods, redoing the mod folder, I'm going to try re-installing the game, hopefully that works...
Alchemist
#12 Old 26th Jun 2009 at 4:20 AM
Delete the caches?
Forum Resident
#13 Old 26th Jun 2009 at 4:24 AM
Quote: Originally posted by wesHowe
Delete the caches?

Which folder should I go to for that?
(just so I don't screw anything up)
Alchemist
#14 Old 26th Jun 2009 at 4:29 AM
That Peggy hair is interesting. I wonder why she released it with bits messed up though.
Screenshots
Alchemist
#15 Old 26th Jun 2009 at 4:29 AM
CASPartCache.package and simCompositorCache.package look like suspects to me, although I also have compositorCache.package and scriptCache.package in my game.

These are in the *User* (My Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3/) folder.
Forum Resident
#16 Old 26th Jun 2009 at 4:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by wesHowe
These are in the *User* (My Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3/) folder.

Thanks.
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 26th Jun 2009 at 5:10 AM Last edited by Saikatsu : 26th Jun 2009 at 10:26 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Nekonyami
I see. Well, is it possible to make new full face make-up?

EDIT: Never mind, the CTU does it, right?

Been trying to do that myself, and haven't had any luck. I either end up with an exact copy with none of the changes I made (yes I hit the commit buttons) or it crashes. My guess is that it requires a slightly different setup, going by the complete lack of response to my inquiry in the CTU thread. >_>

EDIT: Answered elsethread, finally! Now waiting on a new version of the tool that can handle costume makeup.
Forum Resident
#18 Old 26th Jun 2009 at 5:35 AM
Okay, so, I uninstalled and re-installed, still crashed.
I deleted the caches, still crashed.
I hope it doesn't behave like this when more hair meshes come out...
Alchemist
#19 Old 26th Jun 2009 at 6:24 AM
You may have done this, but it isn't clear from the messages...
Did you remove all of the files that were included in the Peggy Hair package?
Forum Resident
#20 Old 26th Jun 2009 at 6:27 AM
Yeah, it was only one file, but I removed it a couple times, and when I play, it just puts her hair back to the mohawk.
I even tried getting a sim off the exchange with the hair to see if that would stop the crash, and it didn't haha.
I think I've give up and I'll just save the mod until I find something that can fix the darn thing...
Theorist
#21 Old 26th Jun 2009 at 7:56 AM
Quote: Originally posted by coltraz
That Peggy hair is interesting. I wonder why she released it with bits messed up though.

Because that's how she makes meshes. Hers are always a mess and people still pay money for them.
Sir Not Appearing In This Film
#22 Old 26th Jun 2009 at 8:40 AM
Well, I just tried her hair in my game, and it runs fine, no crashes or anything, but it has a lot more problems than the 2 pointed out above. I'm seeing a LOT of clipping issues, but, even with those, it's STILL nicer looking than the vanilla one, so until some better ones come out, I'm using this.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#23 Old 26th Jun 2009 at 8:50 AM
Just as an aside, I upped my number of hairs in game from 24 to 25 last night. Added a new caspart based on one of the existing hairs and it showed up fine in CAS. Course, the hair itself was borked but thats probably becuase of some other linkages I missed (it was late)

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Test Subject
#24 Old 26th Jun 2009 at 9:39 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Snaitf
Well, I just tried her hair in my game, and it runs fine, no crashes or anything, but it has a lot more problems than the 2 pointed out above. I'm seeing a LOT of clipping issues, but, even with those, it's STILL nicer looking than the vanilla one, so until some better ones come out, I'm using this.

Have you patched your game ? I cannot get it to stop crashing with the hair in as soon as I remove the hair the game runs fine

Quote: Originally posted by Delphy
Just as an aside, I upped my number of hairs in game from 24 to 25 last night. Added a new caspart based on one of the existing hairs and it showed up fine in CAS. Course, the hair itself was borked but thats probably becuase of some other linkages I missed (it was late)

thats great news it doesnt matter how it looked its a step in the right direction
Test Subject
#25 Old 26th Jun 2009 at 11:15 AM
So I just managed to play the game with the hair for more than 2 seconds because I deleted the cache files. But since they always come back, my game crashed again, so it does have something to do with those files, I suppose.
Is there a way to disenable the cache files to come back?
I'm so annoyed by the choice of hair in this game atm. D:
Page 1 of 2