Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Jun 2017 at 10:41 PM
Default Request/help/advice? Re-creating faces in the Sims 3.
I have no idea where to put this thread so if this is the wrong place I apologize.
I am looking for a good way to edit faces in the Sims three. No face is coming out like I want to. The sliders are just not working for me; I have already created some of the faces that I'm trying to re-create in the Sims three in the Sims 4. I want to re-create these Sims in the Sims 3 because the gameplay is just so much better. However, I can get nothing to look right using the sliders. Is there a mod or a tool or something that can help me be a little more precise
Advertisement
Test Subject
Original Poster
#2 Old 15th Jul 2017 at 2:37 AM
Is there anything I can do to make face creating easier or more manageable?
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#3 Old 16th Jul 2017 at 11:41 AM
IIRC, since the faces use sliders, things will never look all that accurate. I think to create something more accurate would be making sure every single detail is around the same size and height as the original face. So for example, having the eye socket being the same height, size, width as the original face. This is because all sliders- even custom sliders, are made for the original sims 3 face, so usually things will look a bit off once you wouldn't. I'm not sure if you've ever made CASparts before? But say, if your sim's arm on the mesh would be somehow lower compared to the original one, the arm will look incredibly stretchy and wrong in-game. So accuracy and this game is really important

I don't think there are any tools for it though... I know that sliders are basically made by hand as far as I know
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 23rd Jul 2017 at 10:37 PM
But the thing for me is that no matter how I mess with the sliders fingers never look right. It just gives me these weird deformed shapes. And I know you can click on the arrow thing to go back a step five there's just no fine tuning with sliders.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 24th Jul 2017 at 12:53 AM
Actually, sliders ARE the fine tuning. You can move the sliders around a tiny little bit, and you can see exactly what you're doing. In TS4, you can never be sure how much you changed and in what way.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#6 Old 24th Jul 2017 at 11:05 AM
What GrijzePillion said!

That's why I mentioned maybe scaling, rotating, etc the facial features to something that looks close to the default sims face so you actually have them kind of... slider compatible.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 24th Aug 2017 at 11:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by GrijzePilion
Actually, sliders ARE the fine tuning. You can move the sliders around a tiny little bit, and you can see exactly what you're doing. In TS4, you can never be sure how much you changed and in what way.

The sliders are not at all accurate if you have no idea what part you're Trying to fix.
Site Helper
#8 Old 25th Aug 2017 at 12:58 AM Last edited by Ghost sdoj : 25th Aug 2017 at 1:16 AM.
That just takes practice and experimentation.

You can probably post in Creator Feedback with pictures of what your sim is supposed to look like and what it looks like now and get suggestions for what you need to fix. Or just keep an eye on every CF thread with sims in it and see what is suggested for each problem, until you get enough experience to know what you want to fix in your own sims.

Edit: Creator Feedback is here http://www.modthesims.info/forumdisplay.php?f=612 in case you have trouble finding it.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Instructor
#9 Old 26th Aug 2017 at 12:59 AM
It might be helpful if you take a generic sim (maybe not one you are trying to work on) and go through each of the sliders one by one and watch what effect it has on the sim's face. You might have to rotate the sim to different angles to see what is happening. But learning what each slider does will help you figure out how to manipulate your sim's face.

Also, I agree with Ghost sdoj. It is helpful to post your sims with reference pictures on the Creator Feedback forum. If I'm around (I'm not always) and you have specific questions I can try and help you figure out which sliders to try. And there are others in the CF forum who can help too. But really, it's hard to help without knowing a particular issue you are having.

EDIT: And I'd also like to say, you can really do a lot with the basic game sliders. More than you might think. I do the vast majority of my celebs with the basic sliders first and only add on custom ones for very specific features.

Duh and/or Hello!
(simblr)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 10th Sep 2017 at 6:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by k2m1too
It might be helpful if you take a generic sim (maybe not one you are trying to work on) and go through each of the sliders one by one and watch what effect it has on the sim's face. You might have to rotate the sim to different angles to see what is happening. But learning what each slider does will help you figure out how to manipulate your sim's face.

Also, I agree with Ghost sdoj. It is helpful to post your sims with reference pictures on the Creator Feedback forum. If I'm around (I'm not always) and you have specific questions I can try and help you figure out which sliders to try. And there are others in the CF forum who can help too. But really, it's hard to help without knowing a particular issue you are having.

EDIT: And I'd also like to say, you can really do a lot with the basic game sliders. More than you might think. I do the vast majority of my celebs with the basic sliders first and only add on custom ones for very specific features.

Is there any place I can go to ask for help that isn't that form since as of right now I'm not planning to upload my creation to MTS. I may in the future, but at least for the moment, it's going to be part of my personal game. I don't want to get in trouble, but every time I try and create Sims, usually they end up looking like monsters. And even when I just try and tweak a particular feature like the nose or something like that something always comes up looking quite bad.
Site Helper
#11 Old 11th Sep 2017 at 2:06 AM
I don't know what the official policy is on posting in CF with something where you specifically state at the beginning that this is going to be for your own personal use, but the only other place that I can think of on MTS where you might be able to post for help creating your sims would be in Sims 3 Discussion. (And if you post there you are likely to have a lot of people sending you to CF anyway. )

If you are uncomfortable posting in CF, you could start a thread in Discussion. You will reach a different set of people, though.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook