Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Jan 2010 at 11:56 AM
Default Create-A-World - EDIT IN GAME?
Hello. Look, I know this technically falls under 'game help', but I've looked in the help section and I can't find it. I can't run Edit in Game. I play the sims in fullscreen, I have the disk in, the lastest patch of 2.3, and WA (obviously ;]) - but when I try to run edit in game my screen goes blank. After a few moments, I press ctrl-alt-delete and click in task manager. It says that the Sims 3 is not responding.
There are a few things I want to ask about this matter:
-> Am I being impatient? I mean, when I load C-A-W it says not responding on the window, but only for a moment.
--> Is anyone else having this problem?
--> b) If so, what can I do to fix it?
Advertisement
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#2 Old 17th Jan 2010 at 12:01 PM
You are actually being too impatient, because it can take several minutes. One way to stop yourself having to do it too often is actually export and open your world in the real game, build all the lots using the normal Edit Town, then place a copy of all the lots in the library over however many days you need to complete this task.

Finally, go back into CAW and go out for the morning while Edit In Game is loading, then when you finally get there place a copy of all the lots you made into their final locations. At least that gets you in and out in one session.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 17th Jan 2010 at 12:26 PM
OK, I understand there's a lot to load and everything, but can't they do anything to speed this up, it completely ruins the whole creating of worlds. I love the idea, but I think I'll wait for the next version because this Beta versions seems a bit too 'flimsy'. Also, my screen resolution is 1280x768 on my PC and I can't see some of the slider bars unless I move the panels. They need to release a Mac version. I have a brand new iMac 27" and my screen res goes up to 2560x1440. It would be so awesome to be able to create worlds on this machine.

Hydroxide

Hydroxide Studio | Visit me!
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 17th Jan 2010 at 12:31 PM
I can get mine to load in under a minute by taking out my DCCashe files. I can't use any content in those files when building, but it hasn't really bothered me that much.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 17th Jan 2010 at 12:30 PM
Ohh. Good suggestion. I have heard that fixes a couple of things. Will definately be bookmarking this and trying that later.

Hydroxide

Fat Obstreperous Jerk
#6 Old 17th Jan 2010 at 12:42 PM
I would suggest not using unreasonable resolutions for doing, well, anything, unless you really enjoy watching things chug or not load.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 17th Jan 2010 at 12:58 PM
Nahh, this Mac was designed around this screen resolution - It's meant to be higher than Blu ray. It would be so much better for the CAW tool than my PC though.

Hydroxide

#8 Old 17th Jan 2010 at 1:12 PM
But if you wanted those items on your lots, you'd be fedup if you had moved them out of the way before editing. So you can choose which idea suits your needs best.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 17th Jan 2010 at 1:15 PM
I enjoy the World editer but it just seems to be lacking a user friendly UI.

Hydroxide

Lab Assistant
#10 Old 17th Jan 2010 at 2:21 PM
Concidering the only thing in those files is crap I got from the store, Personally I can live without it...besides, even just placing lots with that content in it takes forever...for me personally, it IS easier to just move them out. The onlything that I don't like is not being able to use the rabbitholes from riverview...but, lots can be changed after the game is installed...
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
#11 Old 17th Jan 2010 at 4:48 PM
You can use the Rabbitholes from Riverview. If you massage your datafiles right, you can even see them in Create-A-Crap, but even if you can't, they're still there.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 17th Jan 2010 at 6:11 PM
Create-A-Crap? I guess that's true, but isn't it just as easy to swap city halls once the DC's are put back?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 18th Jan 2010 at 2:54 AM
Thank you! I was being too impatient as it turns out - today I tried it and it worked!
Which leads to yet another wuestion. *rolls eyes*
I'm trying to do the career locations now, but only some are listed under the drop-down menue when you make a new lot and choose 'community'. What do you put the other ones under?
#14 Old 18th Jan 2010 at 7:38 AM
I have found the Properties tab in the main CAW seems to have more choices for lot type than Edit In Game. Try setting it when you get back.

Test Subject
#15 Old 4th Feb 2010 at 2:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by The_Clay
Well I need help to. I take the DCCach out and click to edit in game. I get to a screen simaler to the one when loading a town. then at about ten percent It crashes to desktop or other aplications.

That actually happens to me too,and I'm stumped as to what should I do.
Any suggestions?
Top Secret Researcher
#16 Old 4th Feb 2010 at 4:57 PM
I move my dcb files to my Mods\package files and it loads just fine and I still have the custom content in the game to use.
Field Researcher
#17 Old 5th Feb 2010 at 12:49 AM
There's some weird crap with Edit in Game. When I ran on XP it gave signs of a serious memory leak, took 30-45 minutes to load the map for editing, and would crash after I was in build mode for 'too long' (which was anywhere from 30 minutes to a couple of hours) with exponential item/menu lag times the longer I was in Edit in Game. This was happening with NO custom or store content at all, with me clearing caches, whole nine yards.

I was having to export, build in regular game mode, then bin and place the lots. (Though I had the crash issues even in regular game)

This happened both with fullscreen mode, and with a windowed mode at pretty conservative resolution, with every graphic control option in game set to 'minimum'

It was suspected it might have not been playing nice with my ATI card's 'control center'.

I happened to get Windows 7, and it seemed to solve everything. I even left all my CC in a few times due to laziness and it still worked perfectly, with graphics maxed out.

However I got High End Loft yesterday, and today tried to do "edit in game" for a small map with very few lots and the terrain only roughed in.

...Around 40 minutes to load Edit in Game, and there's the same horrible lag for menus and placements. With all custom content removed, it's still once again pretty much unusable for me, and my task manager makes me think there's memory leaks or something going on, but I'm not really entirely tech savvy to the point of knowing how to tell for SURE.

So.. I think there's a big variety to problems people are encountering based on individual hardware and software setups. Clearing caches or removing CC won't solve the problems for everyone.

I'm at a loss now as to what I can do. Regular TS3 is still running and loading fine since I got HEL stuff- other than sudden and random crashes to desktop after an hour or two- but I can't even use Edit in Game again unless I'm happy with every object placement or tool selection taking me 2-6 minutes.
Top Secret Researcher
#18 Old 5th Feb 2010 at 1:06 AM
Bakafox, I rarely use edit in game anyway. I just export the game, build and then save the lots to the library..and export for a backup. Then if you see something wrong, you can go back to CAW, change the terrain, roads, lots, etc., and export a new game and then go into the game and replace the lots. I don't find it that difficult to do, honestly.
Field Researcher
#19 Old 5th Feb 2010 at 5:15 AM
When edit in game actually loads it's a time saver, basically... it's not difficult to do it the bin way, but it's aggravating after a while for the way I build worlds at least. It may be less aggravating for people who do their planning and work in different ways on worlds than my kind of 'make things up as I go' building- and of course there's personal temperment involved. Me, I get frustrated when a tool does not function as it should, right off the bat- I don't like having to do workarounds. It's fingernails on the blackboard of my soul.

I mostly was in here again to note that the 'obvious' things like removing CC and clearing caches don't always work, and giving history of my issues as I often do in threads about Edit in Game in case someone can make sense of them and figure out where things may go wrong for people who DO clear the caches and everything yet still have problems, and to compare notes in case someone else has had same issues with crashing and 45 minute load times.
Test Subject
#20 Old 12th Feb 2010 at 12:01 AM
I've had those CAW blues myself. but I figured out a way to actually be able to Edit In Game.

Unfortunately it's very annoying. from what I have discovered is that if you have ANY custom content it will simply not load up. by ANY I mean anything you have DL'd in .sims3pack or .package. This includes the store content from EA.

So you need to move every little bit of custom content from your game, including the resource.cfg and the mods folder from both the EP and Base game directories.

What I've been doing is using the launcher and uninstalling all the custom content (except the worlds), go into my Sims 3 directories and move the resource.cfg and mods folder to my desktop (from both directories).

After that I go into the My documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3 directory and make sure the Cache Files are deleted (CASPartCache, compositorCache, scriptCache, simCompositorCache)

Only after doing all that can I actually use Edit in Game from CAW.

Then when I'm done the world and/or just feel like playing Sims 3 I install all my custom content back and play.

EDIT: Oh one other thing, do not in anyway Alt-Tab or Window Swap otherwise it'll freeze up and you'll need to force close it and start from last save, so SAVE often.

Like I said, Very annoying. But it works, at least for me. (WinXPPro, AMD, Nvidia)
Top Secret Researcher
#21 Old 12th Feb 2010 at 12:31 AM
Reavus, you can move the items to the mod/package files in dbc or in package format. I just take the dbc file and put it in the framwork for the mods files and I have custom content in Edit-in-Game.
Test Subject
#22 Old 6th Mar 2010 at 9:36 PM
Same ISSUE
I made a really good town, but i have the same problem as the first commmentor. Except, i let mine have one hour and 20 minutes to load and all i got after that was more sadness and a black screen on task manager could get rid of. I need help, cause i can't even export my thing? how do i give it a" name, picture and description" or whatever else is needed to export it? i can't even do that - i just wanna play my neighbour hood! cos sunset valley irks me.

And no way can i get rid of all my CC. it won't work, last time i tried, i got rid of some important riverview cache. things, and IM ONLY 13 FOR GOODNESS SAKES AND THIS MEAN STINKING THING HATES ME AND I NEED SERIOUS HELP AND I DON'T KNOW WAHT TO DO!?!?!?!?!
help me please! i really love this town, i worked for like, 3 weeks to get all the spawners and rivers and water and waves and beaches and mountains and lots and stuff. It breaks my heart... :cylon:
Top Secret Researcher
#23 Old 7th Mar 2010 at 12:09 AM
Do you have anything in your DC Cache? If so, take it out. You can move it to the mods framework and still have it in the game. Edit in Game does not work for me at all if I have dbc or ebc files in my DC Cache folder.
Forum Resident
#24 Old 7th Mar 2010 at 2:26 AM
Enili,
To export your world right click on the name of your world in the World Layers section, a menu pops up that wil have "Add/edit Description", click on that. You will need a 256X256 .png image in order to complete this. If you need help with that re-post and I'll run through what you need to do.
Theorist
#25 Old 7th Mar 2010 at 8:39 PM
Quote:
I made a really good town, but i have the same problem as the first commmentor. Except, i let mine have one hour and 20 minutes to load and all i got after that was more sadness and a black screen on task manager could get rid of.

If you let it try to load for that long, then I don't think your problem has anything to do with custom content. More than likely it's a road issue. Load your map in C-A-W and check every road for the following:

1. Intersection placed at each end of a road.
2. All road sections connected to each other and to any intersections properly.
3. Use the select tool and select each piece of road, delete it, and make sure there are no roads layered over the top of each other. If the ground below is completely clear, hit the Undo button, then move to the next section and repeat this process over every bit of road on your map. If you find anyplace where roads are layered, you'll need to delete what's underneath, and re-build.
4. Make sure there are no roads under the edges of lots. Sometimes a tiny edge of the sidewalk will be under a lot.

Quote:
And no way can i get rid of all my CC. it won't work, last time i tried, i got rid of some important riverview cache.

You don't have to get rid of all your CC. Most of us just move it out of our game while using C-A-W and put it back in when we're finished. Aside from the Riverview rabbit holes, which are in many cases much more useful than their Sunset Valley counterparts, a town really doesn't need custom content unless you're not planning on sharing it with anyone.

Quote:
IM ONLY 13 FOR GOODNESS SAKES AND THIS MEAN STINKING THING HATES ME AND I NEED SERIOUS HELP AND I DON'T KNOW WAHT TO DO!?!?!?!?!

Your age has nothing to do with it. Many people run into these kind of things, especially if they haven't yet learned how to use it. There are many things that aren't covered in the way-too-short manual. I just decided when I started using it to use the time it takes to save to learn more about the tool. I've spent hours reading as much as I possibly can and even more hours just learning how to make C-A-W do what I want it to do.
Page 1 of 2