Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Banned
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th Dec 2009 at 4:24 AM
Default Do uploaded worlds HAVE to have lots of lots? Or can it be few, situational?
I am working on a not-properly-scaled "re-imagining" of the sims 1 neighborhood.

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/6830/simsc.jpg

Despite not being the proper scale(It's hard to recreate an isometric map :\), I'm sure there'd be someone who'll want it when it's finished. But I can't guarantee it will have many lots! Is that acceptable, because of the point of the map?

Alternately, should I just put lots of maps instead of imitating the map it is based on?
Advertisement
Eminence Grise
#2 Old 29th Dec 2009 at 4:38 AM
Remember, players can't add additional lots in Sims 3. So they're stuck with whatever you give em.

While I suppose some folks might be interested to simply have a Sims 1 souvenir map, if they actually want to play Sims 3 on it, it has to have a certain number of lots.

If you want them to be able to access all the careers, you have to put in all the rabbit holes. Careers spawn NPC coworkers and bosses, so you have to have enough habitable houses for the game to place those NPC families. Certain other game functions are also tied to opportunities at particular rabbit holes, like ghost resurrection (science lab) and omniplants (grocery).

Then there are wishes that sims will have to go to a park, the art museum, the pool, the library etc... if you want to enable those wishes, you need community lots of those types.

And finally, the player needs at least one lot to play on, themselves... but they might appreciate a choice of more than one, and if they play for multiple generations, places for descendants to branch out to.

In other words, it's about playability.

HP has posted the guidelines for world acceptance here, and there's more discussion in the thread here, but I think it can be summarized as "is your world fully playble"?
Banned
Original Poster
#3 Old 29th Dec 2009 at 4:42 AM
I know there are guidelines, but I was wondering if it absolutely all the time had to have lots of lots.

I suppose I can just load it with lots and upload a "traditional" version, in the same post? Because I love how this is coming together so far.

Though the more I think about it, the more likely it is that too much is off scale, and it'd be better for it to simply be a tribute than a recreation...
Theorist
#4 Old 29th Dec 2009 at 7:55 AM
Claeric, DO WANT!! For seriously, only I want the CAW save files just as they are, with the roads so I can add roads if necessary and put in my own lots.

If you have it out of proportion, it won't be by much and to my mind it looks very usable, although it may need extra roads to accommodate shopping and work places.

I had a similar map for TS2 and it was one of my absolute favorites. :lovestruc

Nice job, BTW!
Banned
Original Poster
#5 Old 29th Dec 2009 at 8:07 AM
I put it in the create forum, and will be posting updates there.
Theorist
#6 Old 29th Dec 2009 at 8:24 AM
Awesome! Now if I can find which section of the Create forum I'll be in business. I should sleep, though, really I should.
Banned
Original Poster
#7 Old 29th Dec 2009 at 8:30 AM
Theorist
#8 Old 29th Dec 2009 at 8:36 AM
Cool beans! I love it--do, do love it!
Banned
Original Poster
#9 Old 29th Dec 2009 at 8:47 AM
Then post that THERE, haha
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#10 Old 29th Dec 2009 at 9:27 AM
I experimented last night with the world with only one lot - the one my family were intended to live on. The lack of school meant the bus didn't come and the school grade panel was blank apart from saying "There are no schools for your sim to attend". So basically the sim child didn't need to study.

The relationship panel gradually filled up with service sims, who were marryable in the normal way (hence the child). There were no jobs, so you'd have to do stuff like painting as an income.

And of course if you have WA you can meet foreigners.

Basically if you want to have your sims living on a desert island far away from civilisation, it is perfectly playable.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Theorist
#11 Old 29th Dec 2009 at 6:30 PM
When last I was playing I had a town with nothing but six families, so none had jobs and the kids couldn't go to school. After that experience I don't think I will ever put a school in any of my towns. Instead of going to school the kids fished, ran around the outskirts collecting gems and bugs, and one of them started on her painting career. I'm thinking I also had a mod that would allow children to learn from skill books. So instead of wasting hours a day doing nothing, they were gaining skills and contributing to the household. On top of that they actually had time to socialize with each other and the other children in the town. Granted, they get a random trait assigned because they've never gone to school, but changing that with testing cheats is a small price to pay for them reaching adulthood with some solid relationships and a bit of life experience.

Claeric, not to worry, I will post there! I was trying to get to bed last night before 2 a.m. I had to quit procrastinating at some point.
#12 Old 29th Dec 2009 at 7:55 PM
It's not as if they need the school grades for jobs either. Going to school serves no function in the game.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Banned
Original Poster
#13 Old 29th Dec 2009 at 9:18 PM
That's interesting to hear. I think I'll remove my school and check out how the game looks with kids running around. I just realized i've not seen a single one. <_<;
Forum Resident
#14 Old 29th Dec 2009 at 10:04 PM
I suppose that's easy to say now, but if you get attached to a world with only a few lots and minimal rabbitholes, and then upgrade to an EP that needs it for some reason you're kind of out of luck, especially if there aren't enough lots to add them after the fact. For example, kids moving on to University need a school for grades so they can get a scholorship. Not being psychic I'm not sure what the future holds for the Sims but I just wanted to suggest that considering how you plan on playing the game in the future should be a consideration in how you build it now.

Or not, depends on how you plan on playing, of course.

My cat taught me how to fetch. I throw the toy, she shows me where it landed, and I fetch it.
#15 Old 29th Dec 2009 at 10:29 PM
It's probably a good idea to make a secondary locality, maybe away from the main one, with some spare lots. At least the other users can make stuff in those if they want to - you can make any sort of lot from an empty one as long as there *is* one.