Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Jul 2005 at 4:57 PM
Default Add Group to Body Mesh - is it possible?
Well, the adding part is possible. But what I can't figure out is how to give the new mesh part it's texture.

I would prefer, if possible, to have it use a different texture than the "body" group.

But it would also be OK to have it share the same texture as the body.

I have tried everything I could think of, but no luck doing either.

This is not really surprising, I'm not much use with SimPE.

The new part shows up just fine, but with a completely wrong texture.

Is there a way to do this?

Thanks for any advice.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 10th Jul 2005 at 10:15 AM
I have just finished one skin set which do have two subsets, I did follow these steps:

For Mesh package
1. Clone the files as we need as usual way, or simply rename any one we need, Fix Integrity.
2. Edit the mesh, make it has two subsets, export it as GMDC, then replace it in SimPE.
3. GMND/Plugin View, select the tsDesignModeEnable by the drop down menu, add an array and change the name to the extra subset name.
4. SHPE/Plugin View/Parts, add the extra subset, in the MATD field, fill anything, it does't matter.

For Recolor package
1. 3IDR/Plugin View, Link the recolor package to the new mesh package as usual.
2. Add or Clone any TXTR in the recolor package, always fix TGI after change any name. Replace the image with the extra new one.
3. Add or Clone any MATD in the recolor package, fix TGI when change any name, edit the parameters.
4. 3IDR/Plugin View, press "Package" button, drag your extra MATD to the bottom line of the window, count from the top (0), the new extra MATD should be line 7 (it depends on what recolor package it is), write down the line number.
5. GZPS (Property Set, maybe different depends on the recolor package) /Plugin View, select "numoverrides", change the parameter to "2" (if we only have one extra subset, but the game seems only can handle two recolorbale subsets for object, not sure if there will be more for skin files.)
6. Add one dtUInterger: onerride1shape = 0x00000000
7. Add one dtString: override1subset = the extra subset name
8. Add one dtUInterger: onerride1resourcekeyidx = the line number of the MATD in 3IDR, here should be 7

Hope it helps

Welcome to SunairSims

Recommended browser for the sims2 section of my site: IE (came with Windows XP), AOL 9.0 Optimized SE, last version of FireFox vs Flash and SunJava plugin.
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 10th Jul 2005 at 10:34 AM Last edited by Dr Pixel : 10th Jul 2005 at 7:00 PM.
Thanks, I'll have a try. I did do some of that, but not everything.

Oh, with skins it is possible to have at least 3 recolorable parts - one of the Maxis skins has 3 parts.

Probably more, since some hair has 7 different "alpha" groups, each can have a different texture.

============================================

It worked! Thanks again.
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 10th Jul 2005 at 9:23 PM
Don't mention it:D
I have learned so many things from you and lots of friends here, so happy can help a little

Happy Simming!

Welcome to SunairSims

Recommended browser for the sims2 section of my site: IE (came with Windows XP), AOL 9.0 Optimized SE, last version of FireFox vs Flash and SunJava plugin.
Instructor
#5 Old 1st Aug 2005 at 8:29 PM
I didn't notice this thread before.
I think that Sunair explains good!

But just to add some information:
You can add as many groups as you wish, don't need to clone something with 2 groups just for include another.
What you need to do is to change the BINX fields:
iconidx
stringsetidx
binidx
objectidx

They are values that always are in sequence. So, if you add one group will need to add one value to all those fields. If you add 2 groups will have to add 2 more values to those fields.. and so on.

But remember that will only work if you change all the Data as Sunair already explained.
Instructor
#6 Old 1st Aug 2005 at 8:35 PM
I've been trying to figure out hou to do this so if one of you brilliant people could give the how to's for the first part(importing the mesh) I would be extremely grateful.Thanks for what you have shared it will help when I get this part straight.
Instructor
#7 Old 1st Aug 2005 at 8:59 PM
PAF, try in the tutorials section. It's a good start to know the basics of create a new mesh:

http://www.modthesims2.com/forumdisplay.php?f=248
Instructor
#8 Old 1st Aug 2005 at 9:21 PM Last edited by PAF : 1st Aug 2005 at 9:25 PM.
I know how to make a new mesh and have posted a couple I'm just having problems with adding new groups the mesh always explodes or won't showup with the meshtool and SimPE and I haven't quite figured out Wes's plug-ins yet.So I just thought that I'd ask for some tips here,which method to use or any other information you think maybe helpful.
Scholar
Original Poster
#9 Old 3rd Aug 2005 at 12:36 AM
Unfortunately, you can't add a new group to a mesh after you have edited the original mesh with Wes' plugins.

At least, I haven't been able to make that work either.

What I have been able to do is to add one or more groups to an un-edited Maxis mesh by using SimPE's new MS3D ASCII import/export feature.

I can after doing this also successfully edit this mesh using the .obj export format and the MeshTool.

The MS3d ASCII format (like Wes' 2.16 plugins) does allow bone (joint) assignments.

What I do is export the original mesh as MS3D ASCII with the Order set to XZY, then use the original group(s) of the mesh as a reference to where to make my new group.

After editing the new group, texture mapping it, and assigning all it's vertices
I delete all the original groups, leaving only the new one.

I check to see exactly which bones (joints) I have used to assign vertices to.
Write it down if necessary.

I export as MS3D ASCII file.

This must be edited before importing it back into SimPE, or the mesh will get all distorted.

I open this is notepad, and scroll down to the place where the Bones are listed

The first thing will be the number of bones used - I change this to indicate how many bones I assigned vertices to.

After this is the information for all the bones

Each bone's data looks like this:
First line - name of bone
Second line - name of another bone (the one it connects to?)
Third line - 7 numbers
Fourth line - always 0
Fifth line - always 0

Example:
"spine0"
"root_rot"
8 0.000000 -0.044000 0.116000 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000

OK, so now you must carefully delete all the bones you did not use, leaving only the bone data for the ones you have assigned your vertices to.

After doing this, save the file.

Back in SimPE, you can now go to the GMDC container again, click [Import], set to MS3D ASCII, and find your new file.

A window will open, listing your new group(s) and the used bones.

Click on each group name, and set it to "add"

Don't change anything else.

After importing, commit and save.

Now follow the instructions by Sunair.
Instructor
#10 Old 3rd Aug 2005 at 1:00 AM
Thanks Dr.Pixel for your time I will give it a shot tonight and see what I can come up with and thanks again.
Test Subject
#11 Old 6th Aug 2005 at 10:25 PM
Default Thats all ok but ...
there is always the problem with the one bone assignment and that looks terrible. The ascii exporter assign only one bone per vertex also as each other ones. To write them down manually is stupid work. Is there a trick to ehold the two bone assignment ???

Supertramp
Scholar
Original Poster
#12 Old 6th Aug 2005 at 11:32 PM
There is no easy way to do that, because MilkShape itself only has single vertex assignments.

Wes H's BodyChop plugins for body meshes preserve them by a clever use of extra mesh groups, but they can only be used on single-group meshes.
Test Subject
#13 Old 6th Aug 2005 at 11:47 PM
Yes i know the trouble with milkshape, but i have testet with the hulaskirt. I want to kill the stupit coconuts. I build a new original mesh and exchange the bodymesh with the original nudemesh. Then i added the body_alpha from the hulaskirt, whitch was extracted with the ASCII exporter. I did no changes. The body has the two bone assignment (with MTS2 Meshtool) and the skirt has one bone assignment, without anything changes with milkshape. Only export in SimPE as ASCII and imported the same way. So it must be the im/exporter themself who killed the second bone assignment.

Supertramp
Scholar
Original Poster
#14 Old 7th Aug 2005 at 2:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Supertramp
Only export in SimPE as ASCII and imported the same way. So it must be the im/exporter themself who killed the second bone assignment.

Well, yes it is - but it has to do it that way, the Ms3d ASCII format is a MilkShape format, and has no provisions for multiple vertex assignments.
There is no place to put them into that file format.

If the exporter tried to add them to the file somehow, MilkShape would not be able to open it - it would be an invalid file.

It's just like the .obj file exporter, which has no vertex assignments. Simply because the .obj file format doesn't provide for them.

An exporter can only work properly by using the file format as it exists, it can not make up it's own additions to it.
Test Subject
#15 Old 7th Aug 2005 at 1:13 PM
OK. So Quaxi has to do something. :howdy:

So the Meshtool is the only way to make it with two bone assignment, but you must have a referenzGMDC and that´s make it it not easier, when you want to create a total new mesh. So i work with alpha_bodys. My basic is the nude body and any cothing i added by body_alpha. So i can make many cothesoutfit with one Mesh. I have only to change the alpha_xxx_alpha. But it´s realy a hard work to assign the bones correctly in two ways. OK, i hope anytime some good guy have an idea to im/export with both bone assigment. If there a chance to store the values manually from a original mesh? SimPE cant´t do this. So i would can cut and copy. I thing you know what i mean.

Thanks for your time to spend

Supertramp
Scholar
Original Poster
#16 Old 7th Aug 2005 at 2:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Supertramp
OK. So Quaxi has to do something. :howdy:

So the Meshtool is the only way to make it with two bone assignment, but you must have a referenzGMDC and that´s make it it not easier, when you want to create a total new mesh. So i work with alpha_bodys. My basic is the nude body and any cothing i added by body_alpha. So i can make many cothesoutfit with one Mesh. I have only to change the alpha_xxx_alpha. But it´s realy a hard work to assign the bones correctly in two ways. OK, i hope anytime some good guy have an idea to im/export with both bone assigment. If there a chance to store the values manually from a original mesh? SimPE cant´t do this. So i would can cut and copy. I thing you know what i mean.

Thanks for your time to spend

If you can get Quaxi to add import/export of .smd files, those do support multiple assignments.

Also check the thread about the newer release of the MeshTool - it does have .smd support.
Test Subject
#17 Old 7th Aug 2005 at 2:40 PM
I will do, but what 3D program can handle the multibone assignment? Milkshape doesn´t also as smd what i´ve extrakted with the mesh tool.

Supertramp
Instructor
#18 Old 8th Aug 2005 at 5:36 AM
I think that I have almost got this except for recolor part of sunair's instructions.I am really dumb when it comes to SimPE so I was wondering if someone could "dumb down" the explanation so that I can hopefully understand what to do?My problem is this the new group shows in bodyshop in bright blue like the game can't find the texture before I do the recolor steps which makes sense to me.After I do the recolor steps I lose the mesh entirely so I assume that is where I am messing up.My other question is should I assign both groups to the same texture in milkshape or can or should I use seperate textures?
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 8th Aug 2005 at 8:06 AM
Quote: Originally posted by PAF
I think that I have almost got this except for recolor part of sunair's instructions.I am really dumb when it comes to SimPE so I was wondering if someone could "dumb down" the explanation so that I can hopefully understand what to do?My problem is this the new group shows in bodyshop in bright blue like the game can't find the texture before I do the recolor steps which makes sense to me.After I do the recolor steps I lose the mesh entirely so I assume that is where I am messing up.My other question is should I assign both groups to the same texture in milkshape or can or should I use seperate textures?

Assign to same texture or different, it is up to you, but maybe the reason why we need more mesh group is we nedd more textures:D

The blinking blue means you have a wrong MATD file, check here by Numenor, it helps a lot
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=44997

Welcome to SunairSims

Test Subject
#20 Old 8th Aug 2005 at 3:21 PM
PAF, that the reason why i use 2 groups. One ist the body where i can handle as usual. The second is the clothes which i can asign to a second texture with the alpha channel. So i can make skirts long or short and see through with the greyscale of the alpha and if the sims have no clothes behind it looks very sexy.

Supertramp
Instructor
#21 Old 8th Aug 2005 at 5:06 PM Last edited by PAF : 8th Aug 2005 at 11:01 PM.
Supertramp that is kind what thought abot adding the groups so thanks I just wanted to make sure,my biggest question is when sunair says to edit the parameters of the cloned MATD what do I need to do?I think that may be a little over my head but you never learn without trying something new.Also does it matter what I name the materials in milkshape?
Test Subject
#22 Old 9th Aug 2005 at 12:02 AM
You can name your groups as you want but in my opinion it´s the best you behold the usual names. The easiest way to work with two groups is clone! The hulaskirt has two groups so you don´t have to change anything in the MATD. You have 2MATD for every group one. I have replaced the body with the coconuts to the normal nude mesh. So i can use the original Boneassignments. To import your selfmade obj to group2 you can use Simpe. It is better to work with the ASCII im/exporter, so you can assign the bone. Surely only one bone for each vertex. Import-Group:relace and Bones:replace.
Hope this can help!

Supertramp
Scholar
Original Poster
#23 Old 9th Aug 2005 at 3:18 AM
It makes no difference at all what material (texture) name you used in MilkShape, this information is not imported with your mesh.

You do need to make sure your new Texture Image's name in SimPE matches with the information in your new MATD file
Screenshots
Instructor
#24 Old 16th Aug 2005 at 3:18 PM Last edited by PAF : 16th Aug 2005 at 3:52 PM.
I haven't been able to work on this much lately but I have another problem now.The new group is showing up and will recolor fine but I can't get it to take the new bone assignments.I edited the file and just left the 2 bones that I added to but the new group won't move.It is aligned in the "divinci pose" but will not move.Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?
Edit: I found the problem.If you only add to a few bones (less than ten?) the number of bones used in the milkshape file needs to remain two digits like 02 or 03.Thanks again for all of your help.
Test Subject
#25 Old 25th Sep 2005 at 8:31 PM
I still can't figure figure out...
Quote: Originally posted by Sunair
...3. GMND/Plugin View, select the tsDesignModeEnable by the drop down menu, add an array and change the name to the extra subset name.
4. SHPE/Plugin View/Parts, add the extra subset, in the MATD field, fill anything, it does't matter.

Hi evrybody !

I still can't figure figure out how to add subsets to body mesh... particularly here (see quoting)
I don't find the tsDesignModeEnable in the drop down menu, and how to change the name to the extra subset ? I tried to double click, tried to look for elsewhere...

Can someone help me ?
Thank you very much.
Screenshots

Rosemat -
~°~ www.pronupsims.net ~°~, the Rosemat's Wedding Sims Shop...
Page 1 of 4