Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Nov 2006 at 4:51 AM Last edited by IgnorantBliss : 1st Dec 2006 at 1:47 PM. Reason: removed attachment
Default "Curtain" - Import Error (Index) and Diagonal Linking Issues
First of all, thank you to everyone =).

My major problem is probably common. I cannot link my diagonal to my straight "curtain". Or rather, I was able to, but the result didn't work right.

I have done this twice (following Numenor's tutorial), with two separate clones. In the game, my diagonal does not work, but it does tell me that it cannot be placed on a diagonal. I opened up the Curtain tutorial by eevilcat but did not find much but some information on the OBJf. I double checked mine with tutorial and everything was already matched up.

A minor problem (That I actually received on another object as well as this one) was with importing the .obj back into SimPE. I would receive an error about something being negative with regards to Index. Fortunately, I figured maybe something was corrupt, and by doing the whole clone over again, it solved the issue. I would like to know, though, what exactly this error means. (Sorry, I cannot copy and paste this error because I did delete the packages causing it.)

For the record, I am using Wings3d and do not know if the Index error is caused by something Wings is known to do.

With the "curtain", I thought maybe it was because it wasnt lined up on 0,0 (I had it moved slightly away from that point so that the window frame wouldnt bleed through my curtain mesh). So I deleted that one, made it over again, but this time did not adjust for the curtain frame, leaving it on 0,0, and the Index error did not occur...but the diagonal link problem did.

I have: Uni, NL, OFB, FFS, Pets (No holiday or glamour)

Thank you for any and all help!!
Advertisement
Part-time Hermit
#2 Old 24th Nov 2006 at 5:04 AM
When you copy and paste the CRES name of the straight one into the tsMaterialsMeshName block of the diagonal, you should not include the "_cres" extension. Try removing that.

If you're using the latest version of SimPE, it seems you can now link the GUIDs more easily on the main page of Object Data without needing to go to Raw Data. And, for the straight version of the window, there is no diagonal GUID listed. Try adding that and see if it works.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 24th Nov 2006 at 6:12 AM
Quote: Originally posted by IgnorantBliss
When you copy and paste the CRES name of the straight one into the tsMaterialsMeshName block of the diagonal, you should not include the "_cres" extension. Try removing that.

If you're using the latest version of SimPE, it seems you can now link the GUIDs more easily on the main page of Object Data without needing to go to Raw Data. And, for the straight version of the window, there is no diagonal GUID listed. Try adding that and see if it works.

I fixed the cres, and GUID (Though I remember thinking when I did that "Why are these numbers zeros on both of them", I must have accidentally used the first diagonal package..).

But I still get the message that the object cannot be placed on a diagonal. =/
Part-time Hermit
#4 Old 24th Nov 2006 at 7:21 AM
Which curtain did you clone, by the way? If it was the Stewart Mourning curtain, I seem to remember the diagonal linking doesn't work on that one. I have a list of suitable objects for cloning on the main Object Creation & Texturing forum, you could check that for a better 1-tile curtain to clone from instead.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 24th Nov 2006 at 8:47 PM
I cloned the cheap blinds as I was having that index error importing problem with the veil of dreams. The diagonal was showing up as the blinds before I had start a second mesh for them, so I figured everything would work fine.

I will try it again and see if I get that Index issue like last time when I import it back in.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 26th Nov 2006 at 8:46 AM
Okay.

I started over again. I cloned the Veil of Dreams, this time had no index problem.

My linking isn't working, the cres file was fixed though. I thought for sure this time that I had it, I even changed the hexadecimal to decimal to fix the problem with a lot of the GUIDs in raw data being exactly the same. This was also after I made sure I got them each their own unique GUID.

In "Placement", my Multi-Tile GUIDS (The "Master" and the "Sub") in both were set to 0. In fact, when I went back up to "GUID" in "Raw Data", and did the whole copy and paste business, I found that everything was already there. So as I said, I tried the changing it to decimal and only found one difference - the GUID1 of the Straight was one digit higher than the GUID1 of the Diagonal. The GUID2 of both was exactly the same.

So I inspected the picture very very very very very closely in Numenor's tutorial. I noticed that GUID1 and GUID2 was the last and first half of the Object's overall unique GUID. So then, I went back and decided I would try those values (Not Numenor's, but using that formula with my own GUIDs). That not only didn't work, it made the object not show up at all in the game when I tested it.

Am I missing some sort of step in my object creation, maybe? Something that changes all the file names in the TGI list that has to do with GUIDs?

So now I am downloading the new SimPE, and am hoping that that will fix the problem. If not, I am really not sure what else to do - I have a lot of projects in mind riding on this small problem with the diagonal linking. The version of SimPE that I had previously was 0.5b, I think that was the one before this latest one as it was downloaded in the beginning of this month.

Thank you very much for your help this far!
Part-time Hermit
#7 Old 26th Nov 2006 at 10:22 AM
Please, upload the new clones to take a look at if the new version of SimPE doesn't work, either, otherwise I can't say what would be wrong.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 27th Nov 2006 at 2:36 AM
The new version of SimPE has done wonders! The values no longer showed up as zeros, and yes, the linking is MUCH easier.

Thank you for all of your help =)
Locked thread | Locked by: IgnorantBliss Reason: problem solved