Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Nov 2006 at 12:22 AM Last edited by Khaibit : 18th Nov 2006 at 5:26 AM. Reason: Removed file
Default "Maxis Drumset Mapping Correction"- working, problem solved
Terminal noticed that the Maxis drumset has a UVMapping problem (front and back of the basedrum are displayed the same way) so we agreed in offering one corrected/ fixed mesh prepared by me for his recolors and further ones which borrows the Maxis textures (just a kind of bugfix).

Edit: Found the reason why it didn't appear in game I forgot to delete my "experiment- mesh" which used the same GUIDs (a break can be helpful sometimes...)
But I noticed another prob (still trying to fix the mess "fix integry" did to my package): I wanted this mesh to use the Maxis textures (including recolors automatically) and still using it's own mesh (because of the uvmapping-fix) and this doesn't work so far... does someonw know how to correct it? As I'm linking back to an original Maxis mesh it's not done the same way as in the repository technique. Can someone help, please?

Fixed some texture linking in the rar which was 'damaged' by the fix integry.

Edit: please see the last post for actual file(s).

Yes, I am serious though I'm not serious at all. I'm serious about this!
Even the joker can be deadly serious...
Wichtig ist, was hinten raus kommt!
Entscheidend daran ist, wie?
Advertisement
Instructor
Original Poster
#2 Old 6th Nov 2006 at 1:08 PM
Ok, I thought the mistake could also be caused in the Text Lists so I added some which made sense to me, the mesh still doesn't behave like I'd like it to... so far I didn't really understand the text lists and their correct application so I guess they aren't correct yet, maybe some entries in the Behaviour Function to add? Does someone know how to do it?
Another mistake/ wrong way???

The file above is updated.

The ModFather
retired moderator
#3 Old 8th Nov 2006 at 11:14 AM Last edited by IgnorantBliss : 1st Dec 2006 at 1:41 PM. Reason: removed attachments
Khaibit, let me understand well what is your purpose.

If you want just to "Fix" the Maxis drum set, then the easiest and most efficient way to do that is the "Override" tecnique: you create a package that contains *only* the GMDC (which in turn contains the fixed mesh); this fixed GMDC must have exactly the same name and TGI as the original one (TGI = Type, GroupID, Instances).
In this "override" package you can also include the TXMT for the shadow, that I understand you have fixed, too, and the related texture; but again, the tXMT and the TXTR must have the same name and TGI than the original Maxis ones.
When you put this package in the Downloads, it will override the original Maxis one: every time you buy a Maxis drum set from the catalog, the new mesh & shadow will be used.

If on the other hand you want to create a different drum set, autonomously visible in the catalog, then the procedure is different, and it's similar to the one you used. Again, I understand that in this new drumset, the only differences from the Maxis one are the GMDC and the shadow; all the other elements of the object are directly borrowed from the Maxis drumset.

The first thing to do is then to delete from the package all the scenegraphic elements that are identical to the Maxis ones: MMAT, TXMT and TXTR.
(Scenegraphic elements = elements in your package that are in Group 0x1C050000)
Leave in the package the TXMT and TXTR for the new shadow (with your custom name and TGI), the CRES, the SHPE, the GMND and the GMDC. And of course leave in also the non-scenegraphic files, i.e. all the files assigned to the GroupID 0xFFFFFFFF.

Now it's time to link to the Maxis files, where needed: look in the attached package the block I've added into the GMND (to link the recolourable parts to the Maxis textures) and the changes I've made into the Shape, "Parts" tab (to link the shadows to your new shadow, and leave the other parts linked to the Maxis ones).

Unfortunately, this new drum set won't work properly anyway: it will look fine, with the new fixes, but the game doesn't accept new musical instruments (unless you purposely install a hack made by Atavera, the Band Controller).

Therefore, the "override" tecnique seems the best solution in this case.
Find the "Override package" attached here, too.

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Instructor
Original Poster
#4 Old 10th Nov 2006 at 2:01 AM Last edited by Khaibit : 17th Nov 2006 at 11:20 PM. Reason: Removed file, both full of bugs
Thank you very much! *bear hug* :D

Hopefully I made it to "English" more understandable...

Actually I didn't improve the shadows, don't think it's necessary. Your explanation is fantastic, understood some more things about the relationship of some resources within a package and how to link directly to Maxis objects, thank you!

I didn't want to create an override because I'd like to offer the choice to the recolor-creator and downloader/ player each which way (correction or not) the one prefers (depending on the recolor) and I think that quite a lot people (like me :D) already use Atavera's great Custom Instruments Hack.

On the other hand I think it's better to include the override into the download that people can choose if they prefer the override instead (Terminal wanted to make sure that it'll be offered in understandable English (he's a native speaker so if he understands me he can translate Khaibit-English to English English) so the instructions should be clear :D)

I knew that it's just a case of 'know how' to create a Maxis referring package - but adding another block into the GMND... this was the problem! Thank you!

Another problem appeared: cloned Atavera's Congas (drum set) which works with the hack because I couldn't get my file working with it (tried changing the BHAVs but something was missing, the animation was cancelled and the sim was standing next to the drum kit, no eror reported by the game) and now the Conga clone is playable but only the default Maxis color appears; the other recolors (Maxis and custom content) aren't included. Tried to change the TGI in the GMDC and GMND Resource View (forced commit) but this caused a game crashing package...

If I would understand SimPE and the whole package structure better I might be able to fix it on my own - but the Wiki stuff is just confusing to me, too technical (yepp, simple explanations are required )

Uploaded both packages, don't know which one is easier to fix, choose one (beware, both use the same GUID ) so can you take a look at the files again, please? Thank you!

The ModFather
retired moderator
#5 Old 16th Nov 2006 at 12:57 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Khaibit
Your checklist doesn't work for the drum kit trouble so it's just a clever solution... :D

Your drum kit, though it's a University object, actually crashes university games, so, there must be something more serious than a problem of invisibility...

Jokes apart, what I said it's true: I tried the Khaibit_FixedMaxisDrumSet.package in an UNI game, and it crashed during the startup. My first idea was to clone it again, but then it wouldn't be much of a solution. Or better, this is "THE" solution, but there's no need for me to do it myself. You asked me what was the problem with your drum set and I have no answer to give...

Try re-cloning the drum set, but be sure to *deactivate* all the EPs from the SimPE File Table (except UNI, of course). And when finished, test your object in a UNI game, using the BaseGameStarter.

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Instructor
Original Poster
#6 Old 16th Nov 2006 at 1:02 AM Last edited by Khaibit : 18th Nov 2006 at 5:23 AM. Reason: Didn't want to bump my own thread just because of an update
Thanks for taking a look!
It was about offering a brilliant because always working solution - the answer for every question... as you said, your thread doesn't support it...

I cloned the 2nd package (Drumkit_MaxisFixed.package) with all the expansions except Uni disabled, it works with Atavera's hack but not with the Maxis recolors - an idea what's up with it? (it is my clone-again-try :D)

EDIT: Took some pics (sometimes pictures can help explaining without having to write something like the Encyclopædia Britannica ) so let's try it out Please take a look at the picture "Links" - I imported the whole already fixed stuff (just renamed the _tslocator_gmdc.obj instead fixing again in UVmapper and re-importing what I exported earlier - can renaming the _tslocator_gmdc.obj from another package cause this link- difference??? 6 is default, 10 the result after importing a renamed _tslocator_gmdc.obj.
What does it mean, can it maybe affect the package and how can I fix it? (that's why I struggled with the Wiki again, the link)

As I fixed the Game-crash only (cloned the Maxis drumkit, not Atavera's one) it is, as you can see on the picture "notplayable", not playable, the interaction is cancelled and play Rock/Jazz/ehh isn't possible at all (didn't disappear in the pie menu functions/strings). Only the green default color available - so can it be caused by the links? The only difference I notice...
in all packages...
The upper right small picture shows another "beware" thingy: Fix Integry crashes the changed and correctly to Maxis linked stuff in the SHPE - I forgot about not performing Fix Integry after importing BHAVs so this is the result - stupid me was even shocked for a second

BTW, your BaseGameStarter baas because the downloads-folder isn't closed? *baa* :D

If it's not caused by this link-thingy, well maybe Atavera knows why performing doesn't work... oh well, I might have to PM him...

Editedit: Forgot to add: didn't upload this fixed package because for some reason it's about 5.5MB (!!!) huge so I didn't want to upload and no, didn't find a reason for this file size neither... *confused, as usual*

Editeditedit... still don't want to bump but I do have some news... more or less...

I really start to ask myself how stupid one actually can be .- and I suppose there is no limit...

Ok, found a OMG-am I stupid reason for the not appearing Maxis referring textures (how embarassing, I really forgot to update the Datalist Extension Reference ) when I cloned once more the Maxis drumkit. This time another strange thing happend (since SimPE created a corrupted _tslocator_gmdc.obj of the base game aquarium which crashes the 3D editors, I cannot find Pet extension pet-thingies in the OW at all though Pets is loaded in the file table and it looks like updating subsets in the GMDC is a waste of time because the package gives a damn on that I suppose that you have to be clever to use SimPe, and I failed the test... ) because I wanted to avoid creating a 5.5MB package so I cloned again (exactly like I did before, in this case this method worked as already the one-color option I created and Numenor's fix proves) the Maxis package and updated only the head-subset with a corrected UV map, replaced the old one, saved even in the Uni-downloads folder and when checking in Uni-only it went on using Maxis UVmapping. Tried even im-and exporting with Milkshape (thought this wouldn't be necessary but I really start to think I cannot think) and the corrected mapping is still ignored.

Can't see, find or even understand the reason for this error so here is the small package - without the try to get it working with Atavera's hack...
Can someone help a Vollgasidiot (?, someone like me) out, please?
Screenshots

Instructor
Original Poster
#7 Old 18th Nov 2006 at 1:47 AM Last edited by Khaibit : 18th Nov 2006 at 5:22 AM.
Hopefully starting a new post is ok...

Atavera could help me with telling me how to clone a hacked object to get it working' Thanks a million for that! Unfortunately only the corpus (mean the green/ black with flames/ whatever else part) is recolorable now, the head (the reason for all this) is not. For some reason I don't see it's only default green. Can maybe now someone find this recoloring-error? The other stuff seems to be fixed

Thanks again in advance

Lab Assistant
#8 Old 18th Nov 2006 at 2:56 AM
Hi Khaibit, I tried removing the "seat" from tsMaterialsMeshName because it was a slaveSubset(I think those don't need an entry here) and when I tried in game, I was able to choose colours for both parts. Maybe that was the problem, but I didn't try it in game before removing that. Maybe having all 3 confused the game since it only expects 2 recolourable subsets?
Instructor
Original Poster
#9 Old 18th Nov 2006 at 5:22 AM
Thank you, Atavera! *bear hug* This was the last missing problem!
*happy dance* The package is working!!!
Thank you too, Numenor for your patience, at last it is finally working *can't believe yet *

Jesus, I learned quite a lot with this one package and now it is finished... You'll get nice credits of course and some more thanks in the thread when the upload will be approved, guys! Fantastic! *happy dance goes on*

Locked thread | Locked by: Numenor Reason: Problem solved