Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Dec 2015 at 4:18 PM
Default Strange ocean border issue
Hey guys, I've been working for a while on an edit of a user-made world (not sure if this is important, but thought I'd include it just in case) and somehow managed to either screw something up along the way, or not notice I had this problem until recently.

This happens all around the world (it's an island) and nothing I've tried has fixed it. It's not possible for me to lower the terrain in the water any further in CAW, and it's flattened all the way around at the borders. The water's plenty deep, too. It's not obvious from some angles, and glaringly obvious from others. Is there any way to fix this problem, or am I stuck with it?
Advertisement
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#2 Old 3rd Dec 2015 at 4:52 PM
That's on the boundary of the world, right? I think that's probably normal, as the water which extends to the distance is a different thing altogether to the water in your world cube.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 3rd Dec 2015 at 6:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
That's on the boundary of the world, right? I think that's probably normal, as the water which extends to the distance is a different thing altogether to the water in your world cube.

Yep, it's the boundary. But is it normal for it to show up in game? When I exported a rough version of the world to start building in, it was really obvious and looked horrible. I thought it was supposed to blend pretty seamlessly with the rest of the water past the boundary.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#4 Old 3rd Dec 2015 at 7:12 PM
Do you have any custom sky colours in there? That could possibly affect it. Does it look like that in-game? Do other worlds have this problem? Your first image looks much as I'd expect- you're always going to be able to see the seam, if you know it's there. But your graphics settings will affect the prominence too.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 3rd Dec 2015 at 8:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
Do you have any custom sky colours in there? That could possibly affect it. Does it look like that in-game? Do other worlds have this problem? Your first image looks much as I'd expect- you're always going to be able to see the seam, if you know it's there. But your graphics settings will affect the prominence too.

In those pictures, no. The version I exported has this lighting mod's files imported into the world file. Maybe I wasn't supposed to add all of them? When I first load the world and you see it from above, it looks absolutely fine. It's when you get down to sim level and time passes that the boundaries become quite obvious. The mod itself is a bit foggy which I think exacerbates the problem.

You know what, let me jump in game and get a screenshot for you. I'm notoriously bad at describing things!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 3rd Dec 2015 at 9:12 PM
Here we are!

It seems to get worse when it's cloudy/getting dark, but is still there when it's sunny. The water outside the boundary seems to be lighter than inside.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#7 Old 3rd Dec 2015 at 9:31 PM
Well, the fog settings in particular have a big effect upon water appearance, as illustrated in these pictures.

The water transparency will have a big effect on how the colour ramp is projected, as the water colour ramp applies only to the 'murkiness', and not the water itself. The fog distance affects how the 'murk' is applied to the water- in the last image any colour is gone completely and the water is transparent, so rending the colour ramp uneffective. So you'll have a more noticable seam where the world cube meets the horizon plane.
dodgy builder
#8 Old 3rd Dec 2015 at 9:42 PM
With burntwaffles mods you have to choose a world mod and water mod. If you download many mods for one of the settings it can create strange glitches.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 4th Dec 2015 at 12:53 AM
Okay, I'm going to try to make the most sense I can here.

I like the look of the first picture. If I changed the fog distance start and end values in every ini file that came with the mod, would that make it better? I don't know if that's how it works.

@Volvenom I just downloaded the one mod, with Moonlight Falls water. I meant I extracted every file from it and imported them all into the world file. I wasn't sure if I was only meant to import certain ones and not the others. Can you tell it's my first time doing this? Haha =/
dodgy builder
#10 Old 4th Dec 2015 at 9:57 AM Last edited by Volvenom : 4th Dec 2015 at 12:08 PM.
Ok I never needed to do that, the Base game color and ini was fine for my use. I did mess around with the files though, but I have never made a mod. I don't know if you can just do changes to those files and then save them. I'll probably just leave you to simsample, she's more into it

I do know that changing the values is what we do. It can be a lot of trial and error. That's why people use the mods, it saves them the work. We have a long thread on testing and tweaking those settings. I'm on my mobile and feel helpless when I don't know or if it's possible to just link here. A search in the forum might help, on the other side it's a long thread.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#11 Old 4th Dec 2015 at 1:19 PM Last edited by simsample : 4th Dec 2015 at 5:25 PM.
Hehe, Volvenom- I recall that you helped test and figure things out quite a bit!

@srHz`- the thread is here:
http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=459198

Yes, the way I would do things is to import the ini files to the world file (did you know that can do that automagically for you, as long as you name them right!). Do this after you've saved, but before you export- otherwise CAW will discard the inis.

I always prefer to have the ini files in the world, as opposed to having a mod. The reason for this is that you can have lots of worlds with different sea and sky parameters, instead of having to swap mods in and out.

Note that I've not really done any work on the sea and sky parameters for a while- so I have no idea how the later EPs affect things. I know that Supernatural added moon phases for example, which we have a thread on here:
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?p=4018989

So you can create effects like this:
http://www.modthesims.info/showpost...43&postcount=19

No idea how the seasons EP affected things though- maybe someone else can shed some light on that?

You could experiment, and show us your findings!.