Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#26 Old 26th Jun 2006 at 4:23 AM
Jasana, thank you so much. This is one of the most thorough tutorials I've ever seen. I am bumping into this odd problem, however, after going through the steps to alter the fat morph. I've attached a screenshot. Any idea why this might be happening?
It first appeared to be a mapping problem, and I thought it may have become corrupted in the process.. however, upon re-checking it in Max, everything seemed to be in order.
Any insight would be so helpful
Screenshots

.:: Sim Chic ::.
New & Improved with tasty TS3 goodness!
Advertisement
Instructor
#27 Old 26th Jun 2006 at 12:25 PM
Quote:
This is one of the most thorough tutorials I've ever seen.
Thanks

Quote:
Any idea why this might be happening?

First, it's bottom-only mesh, right? I assume that's the reason why there's a bit of vertex position mismatch on the waist line. This would be a pain, putting those vertices in proper position - I don't know a fast way
Second, it looks like a mapping problem to me, though I can't understand how it happened Let's try to reimport mapping, it's fast? Steps are:
- in normal mesh, apply Unwrap UVW modifier, open Edit UVWs dialog, and select File->Save UVWs from the dialog menu, save it somewhere
- in fat mesh, apply Unwrap UVW modifier - pay attention that it should be below Skin modifier - open Edit UVWs dialog, select File->Load UVWs, and load the file you've saved earlier; close dialog
- right-click on Unwrap UVW modifier and select Collapse To - note, it's important to Collapse To, not Collapse All
- then export from Max
If it wouldn't help, we'll think up something.
I assume your normal and fat meshes have exactly the same number of vertices?
Test Subject
#28 Old 7th Sep 2006 at 6:13 PM
Hi,
I am new to modding Sims, but not new on modding games with 3D max.
I was following the tutorial, the model looks ok in BodyShop, in SimPE (0.58 alpha) when I ask to preview the model it shows it all right then I export it using the SMD exporter, but when I import it to 3D Max (v.7.0) using Cannonfodder's importer (for max 6/7) I got the bones and only one line named smdimport not the model.
Do you have any idea of what I am doing wrong?

Thanks!
Instructor
#29 Old 7th Sep 2006 at 7:44 PM
NiniveKha, this usually happens with non-english locale settings in Windows - the one which have comma instead of period as decimal symbol. Go to Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Regional Options and change local to English there, or change 'decimal symbol' to period and 'digit grouping symbol' to comma on the Numbers tab of that dialog.
You'll have to re-export mesh from SimPE after that.
Test Subject
#30 Old 7th Sep 2006 at 8:42 PM
It worked!! Thank you Jasana! :D
Lab Assistant
#31 Old 1st Dec 2006 at 12:38 PM
Hi I have 3ds max 8, is there any way to make this method work? The plugins are not compatible. :-(
Instructor
#32 Old 1st Dec 2006 at 3:52 PM
Claireh82, AFAIK you can use Max8 as well, which plugins you downloaded, is SMD import available?
The only difference for it is in UVW mapping part - to enable automatic mapping options, you must select face, not vertex, in the EditUVW dialog.
Lab Assistant
#33 Old 1st Dec 2006 at 5:33 PM
No that is the problem, the smd doesnt show even with the plugins installed, and I have noticed that the plugins say they are for 5 or 6/7.
Test Subject
#34 Old 3rd Dec 2006 at 7:20 PM
I tryed this tutorial, nd when i try 2 export it 2 3D max 7 I don't get the stuff that pops up when exporting it. Why? I downloded the plugins so what am a doin wrong
Instructor
#35 Old 4th Dec 2006 at 12:00 PM
Claireh82, I checked with the girl who has Max8, and she confirmed that she's using "6/7" plugins and everything works for her.
Did you got both export and import plugins, they're are in different archives? Did you extracted both archives and to correct folder? Are you looking for smd format in Import/Export dialogs in Max, not in Open/Save dialogs?

wiccasims, you have problems with export from SimPE, did I understood you correctly? Which version of SimPE are you using? Which mesh are you exporting (at least object or clothing)? Does export to other format works (or, more correctly, are you doing export from right place - any chances that you didn't installed managed DirectX extensions and don't see GMDC contents and Export button in it)?
Test Subject
#36 Old 15th Dec 2006 at 8:45 AM
hello there Jasana! thanks for this wonderful tut! it's really awesome but i got one problem! when in the begining I right click and click on hide unselected the mesh becomes so weird some how like the attached image. it's so weird and i dunno what to do ! plz help me asap!
Mandy
Screenshots
Instructor
#37 Old 15th Dec 2006 at 4:39 PM
Mandymand, first, you see about half of the mesh in perspective view - that's normal, though looks annoying If you reduce scale, the mesh will be full.
Second, looks like your polygons aren't smoothed. Perhaps when importing the mesh to Max, you had 'Rebuild smoothing groups' unchecked? You can either reimport it, or assign smoothing groups manually (the latter will take more time and may produce different smoothing than in original mesh).
Third, it's strange that in some places, like on leg, edges aren't highlighted. It's probably because smoothing groups are messed up. The edges are present on other viewports, right?
Test Subject
#38 Old 16th Dec 2006 at 4:59 PM
could you plz tell me exactly what to do coz i'm not good at processing info about 3d programs. you mean i should reduce the scale for the mesh to show from all dimensions? i really don't get what you mean! sorry!
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#39 Old 16th Dec 2006 at 7:00 PM
Mandymand, if you do not know HOW to use Max effectively, then you should go out on the web and use a bunch of generic tutorials (and/or any materials that came with the program) to learn how to use it. I don't have Max and I can still tell that Jasana used pretty basic terms to describe things in her message.

I believe she might be talking about zooming in and out on the mesh. Did you try it?

The focus on mts2 for all the 3d editors (and graphics programs) is not to reproduce all the basic tutorial info that's already out there, but to help folks with the special procedures and settings and such necessary to successfully modify a sims 2 mesh. (as she pointed out, it also looks like some of your import settings might not be right)

We're blessed that Jasana comes here and supports folks who want to work with Max, but members really have got to put time and effort their own to learn the basics of using the program.

"Undertake something that is difficult; it will do you good. Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow." - Ronald E. Osborn

Please do NOT PM me with requests, creation questions, or game help questions. Click for help:
Game Help | Create | Content List | Where Can I Find?
Test Subject
#40 Old 20th Dec 2006 at 4:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tiggerypum
Mandymand, if you do not know HOW to use Max effectively, then you should go out on the web and use a bunch of generic tutorials (and/or any materials that came with the program) to learn how to use it. I don't have Max and I can still tell that Jasana used pretty basic terms to describe things in her message.

I believe she might be talking about zooming in and out on the mesh. Did you try it?

The focus on mts2 for all the 3d editors (and graphics programs) is not to reproduce all the basic tutorial info that's already out there, but to help folks with the special procedures and settings and such necessary to successfully modify a sims 2 mesh. (as she pointed out, it also looks like some of your import settings might not be right)

We're blessed that Jasana comes here and supports folks who want to work with Max, but members really have got to put time and effort their own to learn the basics of using the program.

thanks tiggerypum, i guess we ARE blessed to have Jassana and you and all the other gr8 ppl here. and i suppose i need to learn more about 3ds max before i read her tut. thanks anyway...
Test Subject
#41 Old 18th Sep 2007 at 4:36 PM Last edited by Flamegrape : 18th Sep 2007 at 5:55 PM.
Is it inappropriate to bump old threads like this?

I need help with making body meshes. I have 3ds max and I absolutely do not want to use MilkShape. I have been following Jasana's tutorial and I seem to be lacking information. I don't seem to be encountering errors but it's not working.

Before I start thoroughly describing my problem, is there a newer tutorial or method of creating body meshes using 3ds Max and SimPE?

I read someplace that they used Maya to create the graphics for Sims 2. Wouldn't it be logical to use that program for making body meshes?

*UPDATE*
I found the solution. It is explained here:
http://www.modthesims2.com/article.php?t=131405
(Thanks, Tiggerypum.)

The trouble I was having with Jasana's tutorial is that I didn't know that I had to edit and work with the package file that is in the SavedSims folder. Other than that, I had no other troubles.
Page 2 of 2