Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Jul 2017 at 7:39 AM
Default object making
hello

I was making object (blanket decor) in blender from scratch by editing and adding some modifier to the plane object and then exported it into wavefront obj file
but when I tried to import it to milkshape it read nothing
I double checked and try to export it again and used windows 3d object viewer to view the obj files and it's there but when I tried to import to milkshape again it read nothing
I exported a downloaded decor from TSRW into obj file and import it to milkshape and it worked, so I'm thinking the fault must be when I made the object from the scratch but I don't know which step did I miss
could someone help me, I already pre-made 20 decors into obj files, it would be pain the a** if I can't use any of it
Advertisement
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#2 Old 22nd Jul 2017 at 11:03 AM
Were you creating the blankets with modifiers? You know... where you 'drop' the plane and it kind of looks like a blanket? I think you might have accidentally not pressed the apply button. Blender has this habit of not saving it whenever you just export it.

One thing I wouldn't personally do is work with obj files with TSRW. 1. they cause for crashes more often because TSRW has to conver the obj file to a wso file or... well a 'model' file as that's what the sims uses to read meshes. So I would actually recommend using their WSO plugin importer/exporter which you can find right here: http://wiki.thesimsresource.com/ind...bject_.28WSO.29
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 23rd Jul 2017 at 6:56 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Greenplumbbob
Were you creating the blankets with modifiers? You know... where you 'drop' the plane and it kind of looks like a blanket? I think you might have accidentally not pressed the apply button. Blender has this habit of not saving it whenever you just export it.

One thing I wouldn't personally do is work with obj files with TSRW. 1. they cause for crashes more often because TSRW has to conver the obj file to a wso file or... well a 'model' file as that's what the sims uses to read meshes. So I would actually recommend using their WSO plugin importer/exporter which you can find right here: http://wiki.thesimsresource.com/ind...bject_.28WSO.29

OMG!! I didn't know that before, but what about the obj files I have created? I tried to reapply the modifiers (clothes, solidify and subdivision surface) and exported it again but milkshape still won't read it
does it mean I have to recreate them again from the scratch? there were more than 20 already!

I make the obj file from blender first and import it to milkshape to assign bone after that I export it into TSRW file (WSO) and export the mesh with TSRW, is that the correct way? I followed your tutorial in youtube (i thnk it's about converting TS4 object to TS3)
Virtual gardener
#4 Old 26th Jul 2017 at 3:23 PM
Would you be able to show of step-by-step what you do usually when creating the blanket?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 27th Jul 2017 at 5:03 AM
Would you be able to show of step-by-step what you do usually when creating the blanket?

1. creating the mesh plane and adjusting the size according to the bed
2. in object mode I apply the cloth modifer first
3. next is solidify modifier, I usually apply the thickness between 0.005-0.007
4. after that I change into edit mode and subdivide the mesh typically into 30-40 cuts (sometimes 50)
5. back to object mode I apply the subdivision modifier and set the shading to smooth
6 next I change the blender render mode into cycle render mode and apply the glossy BSDF material and set the color
7. I apply the cloth physic to the plane mesh and collision physic to the bed and adjust the cloth quality and set the preset to silk or cotton
8. I play the animation and pause whenever I see the mesh fit to my liking
9. after that I export the mesh into obj (wavefront) and check the selection only option

done. that's before I know I have to hit the apply button of the modifier.
even tough it looked simple but sometimes I have to make a somewhat precision fold of the mesh (before subdividing into cuts) in order to make the creases looks better or adjust the angle of the mesh before it collide with the bed
so yeah... it'll be really tough and painful to make it all again from the scratch

here is one of the example I made for pose
http://imgur.com/a/dAWIR
Virtual gardener
#6 Old 27th Jul 2017 at 12:26 PM
Ah I think I see what's going wrong here, and it's actually the exporting itself. If you only have the selection only option applied, it won't really... well export any other 'data' of the mesh. Here's actually the more... well, TS3 'recommended settings':

(And selection only in your case is okay to keep ticked )
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 27th Jul 2017 at 2:04 PM
Ah I think I see what's going wrong here, and it's actually the exporting itself. If you only have the selection only option applied, it won't really... well export any other 'data' of the mesh. Here's actually the more... well, TS3 'recommended settings':

(And selection only in your case is okay to keep ticked )

I tried your settings and it works if I made the mesh from the start, but if I try re-export the mesh that I already created with the setting and import it into milkshape it still didn't work
goooddd...! means I have to make it all again from the start