Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Jun 2017 at 2:34 AM Last edited by pancake101 : 2nd Jun 2017 at 7:00 PM.
Default Creating "The Bubble Room". Feedback appreciated
Hi everyone. I am posting here to look for feedback on a rather ambitious project I am tackling. Some of you, especially if you live in Florida, may have heard of or visited a restaurant called "The Bubble Room". It is located in Captiva, Florida, and is regarded as one of the most famous restaurants in Florida. I have visited the place many times and really wanted to find out if I could build it in the Sims. It has a very complicated layout and the interior as you can see from the photos I have attached is decorated with more things than I can imagine. It is truly an amazing place and so far I have made four test attempts at bringing this iconic eatery to the Sims world. This is the final version thus far. I would love to hear any feedback you may have on my progress as well as any helpful insight if you may have visited the place yourself. I would particularly like to hear from any moderators who may have any helpful tips on how to make it better :3

Because there are places off limits to customers, such as the kitchens and storage rooms, I did not lay them out, but rather blacked the areas out with hidden room markers. The back of the restaurant was based on the only image I could find that showed any indication of the back so I took a few liberties there as well. Overall, though, I made sure that any part customers can visit are fully built and decorated. I may have to change the layout of the bathrooms though simply due to the sims building mechanics and the fact I have no idea what they look like. If you happen to know it would be helpful as well
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 2nd Jun 2017 at 1:10 PM
It is looking good! There is a heck of a lot to see. Quite fun.
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 2nd Jun 2017 at 1:39 PM Last edited by pancake101 : 2nd Jun 2017 at 2:20 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by daisylee
It is looking good! There is a heck of a lot to see. Quite fun.

It is truly an amazing place to visit. Decorating this lot with not only the objects but also changing the color of the lights and adding little animations is really great too!
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#4 Old 2nd Jun 2017 at 9:15 PM
You got a great start! I do think the colors you used are a tad too dark, since the reference seems to be using pastel colors, so I'd try to get them more pastel-ish ^- ~ (Speaking of both lots btw) I do think you miight wanna variate a little bit with the paintings as well, since it seems like you're reusing a lot of them and it appears that some of the walls didn't have much CASTing on them yet I'd say, go crazy with whatever pattern the game offers you! ^-^
What I would try as well is using one of my favourite roof decorations which works perfectly with walls as well, is this Island paradise roof decor. I've used it on my lot as well (Found here: http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=594814) You wanna focus on the lot's outside walls actually so see what I mean , and on tons of private projects as well, I think that would be a great way to change the wallpapers on the walls as showed in the reference image (All the walls seems to be made out of a different material).

So, try to get creative with decoration pieces you can find as well! It will help out making your lot look pretty interesting from the outside! ^- ~

On the second lot, Of course using some decoration on the outside would make it more interesting For the inside, I'd try to give it some more toy-store-ish feeling, you're almost there though! But, let's say, adding more parrots with different colors so it looks like there are more various products they're selling. Maybe adding a few curtains at the register area would be cool too! And I think rugs will do a lot as well. Just for the sake of going all "Wow!" On the furnishing! Of course you do have to make sure things stay routable

Hope this helps! :D
Instructor
Original Poster
#5 Old 2nd Jun 2017 at 9:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Greenplumbbob
You got a great start! I do think the colors you used are a tad too dark, since the reference seems to be using pastel colors, so I'd try to get them more pastel-ish ^- ~ (Speaking of both lots btw) I do think you miight wanna variate a little bit with the paintings as well, since it seems like you're reusing a lot of them and it appears that some of the walls didn't have much CASTing on them yet I'd say, go crazy with whatever pattern the game offers you! ^-^
What I would try as well is using one of my favourite roof decorations which works perfectly with walls as well, is this Island paradise roof decor. I've used it on my lot as well (Found here: http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=594814) You wanna focus on the lot's outside walls actually so see what I mean , and on tons of private projects as well, I think that would be a great way to change the wallpapers on the walls as showed in the reference image (All the walls seems to be made out of a different material).

So, try to get creative with decoration pieces you can find as well! It will help out making your lot look pretty interesting from the outside! ^- ~

On the second lot, Of course using some decoration on the outside would make it more interesting For the inside, I'd try to give it some more toy-store-ish feeling, you're almost there though! But, let's say, adding more parrots with different colors so it looks like there are more various products they're selling. Maybe adding a few curtains at the register area would be cool too! And I think rugs will do a lot as well. Just for the sake of going all "Wow!" On the furnishing! Of course you do have to make sure things stay routable

Hope this helps! :D

Ah! Thanks for the feedback! I'll certainly work on the colors and walls. I've updated the gift shop with a pattern that adds some of those bubbles to the walls. I think the reason the colors may look a bit dark is due to the time I was building in the game. But I will definitely lighten them up! You could probably tell decorating the walls in this place is insane but I will look into varying the pictures. The reason I reuse so many of the black and white little ones is because in the real building there are hundreds of equal size black and white photos of Hollywood stars covering almost all the available space! The routeability is fine and everything works from the bar to the pastry counter in front. Unfortunately I do not think I will be using the mod you suggested as I would like to stick to my pledge of using zero custom content in my lots. Thank you for the suggestion though! I also understand you saying change the wall patterns on some places and add curtains but in reality those are the colors and patterns of the real walls xD I also don't want to add any details th may aren't there in reality.
Virtual gardener
#6 Old 2nd Jun 2017 at 10:25 PM
Mod? Hmm I think you got confused with the link, I was actually referring to this little wall thingy:

(In game of course, this is just a ts3>ts4 conversion, couldn't find a great image of it)

http://www.designsforsims.com/?p=2149

(roof block thingies at the front).

Uuunless you were referring to something else
Instructor
Original Poster
#7 Old 2nd Jun 2017 at 10:56 PM Last edited by pancake101 : 3rd Jun 2017 at 2:38 AM.
Mod? Hmm I think you got confused with the link, I was actually referring to this little wall thingy:

(In game of course, this is just a ts3>ts4 conversion, couldn't find a great image of it)

http://www.designsforsims.com/?p=2149

(roof block thingies at the front).

Uuunless you were referring to something else

Oh wow my bad xD I see what you mean now. I don't think they work however on the building. Also what kind of decorations would you suggest on the exteriors? The real building doesn't have much extra outside decor other than what is in the reference pics. I have however, toned down the wall colors and added in the red colored dome light and white lamppost that are in the pics as well as changed the window trims on the sides to match. I also added some more details to the gift shop
Screenshots
Top Secret Researcher
#8 Old 3rd Jun 2017 at 4:56 AM
What a fun project! The colors should be muted a bit. The RL building seems more pastel than your sims version. I am thinking that the windows with the bubbles would work well. I will look up the name the next time I am in my game. Great start!!

Need help building? Mentoring4Builders: Click Here
Get in the swim- Mermaidia
New at Simszoo
Instructor
Original Poster
#9 Old 3rd Jun 2017 at 5:01 AM
Quote: Originally posted by attuned
What a fun project! The colors should be muted a bit. The RL building seems more pastel than your sims version. I am thinking that the windows with the bubbles would work well. I will look up the name the next time I am in my game. Great start!!

Thanks! I've muted the colors but the pictures still make them look too dark. Don't know why. Although to be honest those pictures of the real place are fairly washed out. I don't think the windows with the bubbles will work as the real building doesn't have those. I'm trying to replicate it as close as possible :3
Instructor
Original Poster
#10 Old 3rd Jun 2017 at 5:58 PM Last edited by pancake101 : 3rd Jun 2017 at 6:17 PM.
UPDATES: Here are some updated images of the main restaurant and gift emporium. I have muted the colors and changed some of the wall textures. I have also changed the doors and window trims to match the real buildings and done more landscaping around the parking lot. On the bottom are some new images of the more filled in gift shop. Still got some shelves left though
Virtual gardener
#11 Old 3rd Jun 2017 at 8:37 PM
While the colors are fine! I do think the purple color is still not matching that well with the other colors, you miiight wanna try making it more pink-ish, and make sure that you don't use solid colors as wall coverings, but actual stone pattterns! ^-^

And for the exterior, I usually use armiels buildset, if not, Il Grande Lama's building stuff, but since you didn't want to inlcude CC within your lot, here are a few ideas!:

It will look much better whenever you're using it on an actual lot, though keep in mind with some of them, it might look a bit odd from the inside. I'd try to use MoveObjects or CASTing it to the same wallpaper though if you do. and of course, using those corner wallpapers will certainly work great with lots like these! :D
Instructor
Original Poster
#12 Old 3rd Jun 2017 at 8:53 PM
While the colors are fine! I do think the purple color is still not matching that well with the other colors, you miiight wanna try making it more pink-ish, and make sure that you don't use solid colors as wall coverings, but actual stone pattterns! ^-^

And for the exterior, I usually use armiels buildset, if not, Il Grande Lama's building stuff, but since you didn't want to inlcude CC within your lot, here are a few ideas!:

It will look much better whenever you're using it on an actual lot, though keep in mind with some of them, it might look a bit odd from the inside. I'd try to use MoveObjects or CASTing it to the same wallpaper though if you do. and of course, using those corner wallpapers will certainly work great with lots like these! :D

Thanks! I did tone donw the purple quite a bit actually. I'm just a little confused on adding to the exterior. A lot of those accents you listed simply aren't there in the real building