Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th May 2010 at 4:58 AM
Default Convert Toddler's outfit to Child?
I'm playing around with converting a few things and I was wondering if you can take a toddler outfit and make it work for children. I'm willing to put a lot of effort into it, so if there is a tutorial on it, please let me know!

If nothing else, let me know what the scale ratio would be?

Just started playing Sims 2 again after a very, very, veryyyy long time!
I also use Poser Pro 11!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 24th May 2010 at 10:45 PM
This should probably be in the Meshing section.

You have to make a new mesh, because the skeletons are different. You can't just change the age in SimPE, for example. There's also no set ratio when you're converting between age groups. You kind of have to work with each part of the body separately, because the proportions aren't the same (toddlers have long torsos and short legs... kids have shorter torsos and longer legs).

So, basically, you need to make a new mesh for kids. You can take the original toddler mesh and resize it in MilkShape... but you still need to do it as if you're making a brand new mesh.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 25th May 2010 at 6:54 AM
Quote: Originally posted by fakepeeps7
This should probably be in the Meshing section.

You have to make a new mesh, because the skeletons are different. You can't just change the age in SimPE, for example. There's also no set ratio when you're converting between age groups. You kind of have to work with each part of the body separately, because the proportions aren't the same (toddlers have long torsos and short legs... kids have shorter torsos and longer legs).

So, basically, you need to make a new mesh for kids. You can take the original toddler mesh and resize it in MilkShape... but you still need to do it as if you're making a brand new mesh.

OOps, wasn't sure where to put it, sorry about that.

Right, I figured so. I'm just unable to find a tutorial on doing so. I know I can't just change the age, man that would look really weird. I've seen some pictures where people have just gone in and done that and it's usually very scary.

I just read a tutorial where someone was telling about setting the scaling ratio for teen to adult and vice versa, so I was wondering if it could be done here at all.

Can you give me some advice on doing this? I'm trying to convert the Freetime overalls for my little girl Alex. She's wearing them as a toddler and I fell in love with them, lol

I've also got Milkshape and whatnot, so I can follow along.

I also use Poser Pro 11!
Doing all the things, and *mostly* not failing.
retired moderator
#4 Old 25th May 2010 at 3:50 PM
Here's a swoosh to the right forum. In the tutorials sub-forum you'll find lots of helpful tutorials.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 25th May 2010 at 7:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BeeTaisho
I just read a tutorial where someone was telling about setting the scaling ratio for teen to adult and vice versa, so I was wondering if it could be done here at all.

Well, you could do it with a set ratio, but like I said before, toddlers have very different proportions as compared to the other age groups. Adults and teens have similar proportions... but when you get down to kids and toddlers, things really change. So if you used a set ratio, most of the joints would be in the wrong place... and your Sim would move very oddly indeed.

Can you give me some advice on doing this? I'm trying to convert the Freetime overalls for my little girl Alex. She's wearing them as a toddler and I fell in love with them, lol

It's basically just meshing... and a lot of trial and error to get things the right size. When I'm converting between toddler and child, I use a child-sized mesh as a template (deleting it before I export the final mesh, of course). Then when I'm resizing the toddler mesh, I can make sure I've got all the limbs the right length, and that the joints (elbows, knees, etc.) are all in the right places. The neck is also very important. You want to make sure that it's exactly the same size and shape (and has the same normals) as your template child mesh... or you'll have a visible line between the body and the head.

One thing you'll want to be aware of, however, is that if you're going to use the textures from the toddler mesh, your outfit will be blurry. Toddler textures are 512x512 pixels... while all other age groups are 1024x1024 pixels. So once you size the toddler texture up, it's going to lose a lot of sharpness.

I've also got Milkshape and whatnot, so I can follow along.

I'm not sure if there's a particular tutorial for age conversions. It's no different than regular meshing, really. You're just resizing a mesh.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#6 Old 25th May 2010 at 7:27 PM
IIRC, most of the time with converting like this, it's easiest to use a child mesh that's roughly similar (or frankenstein together a few and modify things to shape properly - make a hem a little longer or flared more, puff a sleeve, that kind of thing), and if you have to, just grab a few specific detail pieces, if necessary, from the thing you're converting (like a particularly rippled skirt or a flower, or whatever). And then mainly convert the textures - as fakepeeps said, in this case, you're going to get some blurring, so you might have to trace over the textures/recreate them somewhat at the larger size.

So basically, you might get a better result with sort of recreating a very similar outfit for children, from mostly child parts, than trying to size up the toddler mesh, IMO.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 26th May 2010 at 4:56 AM
Okay I'm going to give this a shot, I am so glad you guys are helping me!

I also use Poser Pro 11!