Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Mar 2015 at 11:19 AM
Default EIG / Can't edit terrain on beach lots
I searched for this problem, but couldn't find an answer. Sorry if this has been posted before.

I'm building an island with the mapsize of 1536x1536, mapheight 200
The waterlevel is raised, so that dive lots will work.

Two days ago i tested my beach lots in EIG, if they have the right height to place ports there. Some of them worked perfectly fine. The odd thing is, 4 of my beach lots refuse to let me raise or lower the terrain ("Can't level terrain"). Those 4 lots are all inside the same chunk.

The problem only exists, when the lot is partly in the water. Lots in the same chunk, but completly on the ground work perfect.
However, i can flatten the terrain from the beachside, at least partly. But not backwards.

I tried constrainfloorelevation false
makes no difference

Replacing lots in CAW with or without sculpting the terrain in that area dosn't have any effect.
The funny thing is, when i delete the lots in EIG, and replace them in EIG (same size, same position), they work perfectly fine
But i really want the lots to work correctly when exporting from CAW, without using EIG.

I even exported my heightmap and created a whole new world with it. Same problem.

I don't get why some of the lots work, and those 4 don't. Has it something to do with the chunk the lots are in?
What am i missing?
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 30th Mar 2015 at 4:09 PM
I never experienced that "bug" because I dont use EIG. Maybe you could try your world in the game? Or you do the right terrain sculpting in caw (-> try out the street tool for flattening).
What I know is that the terrain could be odd depending on the grid, but lots have their own grids...

Im not a native speaker
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 30th Mar 2015 at 7:33 PM
I don't know if it really is a bug. But it certainly isn't restricted to EIG.
The first time i encounterd this "bug" was not in EIG, but in game. Sorry, i forgot to mention that before. But still the same world and the same lots.
I only tested if it accours in EIG too, after i noticed it ingame. And then i switched to testing that lots in EIG, since it loads quicker then exporting and installing the world every time. The behaving of my terrain editing tool is the same in EIG and in the game.

Actually, i don't really need to sculpture the terrain in that area on the lots anyway. But the problem is, i want those lots to be ports. So i have to have a platform there, and for that i need stairs. But even with the cfe cheat on, it won't let me place stairs there. Because it can't level the terrain.

Some more pics:

It won't even let me place the platform across the whole lot (again: can't level terrain)

constrainfloorelevation false is active... that's not how it usually looks.... and it is normal on all other lots than those 4

Flatten the lot from a certain point benath the water level works

A bit higher and i'm out of luck again

It makes absolutely no difference here if cfe is activated or not.
I also tried the street tool for flattening as you suggested. Didn't change anything.
Scholar
#4 Old 31st Mar 2015 at 3:29 AM
You may know this already so I apologize but you are pulling your platform from the water to the shore, aren't you? You have to do that for it to work properly. To get the stairs for a platform, you must hold the alt key down when placing the stairs. Here's the explanation: "IMPORTANT: Add a staircase to your dock. Adding a staircase in CAW is slightly different than adding a staircase in-game in that the staircase will always default to 4 steps in height. You do NOT want to use the default 4 step height stairs as this will cause the terrain to be pushed down below sea level at the base of the stairs. Instead, hold down the ALT key when attaching stairs to the dock. This will cause the stairs to be built with the minimum number of steps required." More information about ports and houseboats can be found in this tutorial: http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/690014.page.

I'm afraid I can't answer your question about beach terrain editing except to say that I've always had better luck editing the beach without a lot and then adding the lot after I have the beach how I want it. If you edit the beach under the lot, the lot does not automatically conform to the shape of your edit at the edges of the lot. You must use the "conform lot edges" tool in CAW to make the edges match. This tool is tricky as using it can mess up the edges of other lots. (Rather than conforming the lot edges to the world, it seems to sometimes conform the world to the lot edges. I had the best luck using the tool on all the lots and then ending with a lot that was perfectly flat.) I hope that this helps and good luck with your project! Maybe someone else will have other suggestions.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 31st Mar 2015 at 10:43 AM
Thank you for your answer
This is actually the 3rd world i am building, and all of them had beach lots. I also build some ports before, so i know what you are talking about.

But i found a workaround for my problem, and even better, i probably found the source of the problem, so that i can avoid it all together.

The beach lots wich were working, have all a more gently inclined terrain, than those which have this "bug". I don't think it's a bug after all.
It seems the height difference you can have on a lot is limited, independent of the heightlimit of the map. You may already know that, i didn't (if it is true, i don't know).
The lots i had problems with started almost completly on the bottom of the map. My waterlevel is very deep, so that i can build dive lots. Becauso of that, my beach lots in that area had to rise up suddenly.
I liftet the terrain in the area of those lots, so that the height difference inside the lots is smaller. Now they work completly normal (at least for now)

I never used the "conform lot edges" tool in CAW. I either edit my terrain without lots placed, or i delet the lot and pres ctrl+z. That way the lot normally conforms itself to your edit.
Scholar
#6 Old 1st Apr 2015 at 1:44 AM
Thank you for the tip! I'll have to try ctrl+z. I think you may have found your answer. I've never tried to edit a very steep beach lot. I'm glad you solved your problem!