Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Forum Resident
#8526 Old 8th Jun 2019 at 8:30 PM
I could've also added they said "open water gameplay" but I have no idea what they meant exactly by it...
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#8527 Old 8th Jun 2019 at 8:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by hiabara
I could've also added they said "open water gameplay" but I have no idea what they meant exactly by it...

Trailer pretty much spoke it for that one. However, doesn't seem like we'll be receiving diving

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Instructor
#8528 Old 8th Jun 2019 at 8:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
Trailer pretty much spoke it for that one. However, doesn't seem like we'll be receiving diving

Thought it was mentioned somewhere diving is a new skill. There's also a screencap where you can clearly see a crystal on the sea floor.

Doubt it's as unique or fleshed out as Sims 3, but it doesn't seem to be incorporated in one way or another.
Instructor
#8529 Old 8th Jun 2019 at 8:37 PM
The trailer makes it seem cute enough, but still doesn't feel like it'll add much new or noteworthy content compared to previous instalments packs of a similar nature? The beach clean-up seems to work exactly how I thought, but I feel like once the novelty wears off after one or two attempts it'll feel like a grind to keep doing it in order to keep the world clean (I like that the world changes depending on it's cleanliness though).
Mad Poster
#8530 Old 8th Jun 2019 at 8:39 PM
Other interesting bits found in trailer: fishing in a boat-esque, food stall (*crosses out from bingo card), reuse lightingbending animation for fire dancing/power lol

Mad Poster
#8531 Old 8th Jun 2019 at 8:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by andru
The trailer makes it seem cute enough, but still doesn't feel like it'll add much new or noteworthy content compared to previous instalments packs of a similar nature? The beach clean-up seems to work exactly how I thought, but I feel like once the novelty wears off after one or two attempts it'll feel like a grind to keep doing it in order to keep the world clean (I like that the world changes depending on it's cleanliness though).

I think the main draw for this pack is the world and beach life.

I have to wonder how the beach-clean up works- I think it'll be building off of Strangerville's world-changing code, but it'll be interesting seeing if they make you go through a checklist of things to do.
Instructor
#8532 Old 8th Jun 2019 at 8:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by andru

It's honestly tough to say. I mean clicking on piles of garbage and watching your sim sift through them would definitely get dull, but if it's incorporated with an active career it can work. Being able to affect the condition of the island is a nice touch too.

Whenever I see a new pack, I always try to imagine what I could see myself doing in the game with that pack. Currently, it seems like you could explore the mermaid life state, explore the new career, presumably explore a new aspiration (have difficulty picturing there isn't one), and I think you could explore things like interactions with dolphins and those elemental spirits. At the very least, that's a lot of different gameplay aspects to screw around with and explore, so even if some turned up lackluster, I still see the pack being in the same ballpark as Seasons.

Worst case scenario would be if Mermaid powers are about as extensive as Alien ones (read mind, disguise, aaaaand that's about it), there's no new aspiration or a barebones one that takes 5 minutes, and both dolphins and elementals have nothing going for them. Then we'd be stuck with a new career and a pretty world, but obviously that'll get old quick with nothing to do.

Another side note, I did NOT see that many recycled animations. Digging through garbage seemed to have new animations when they could've recycled animations for trash piles, so I actually consider that a good sign. The wavedasher riding had some extra animations too, which is above the bare minimum we've come to expect from them.

To me, the best we can do to gauge how good a pack will be right now is to look for hints of laziness or signs of new features. For once, it actually feels like there's more new signs instead of hints of laziness.
Mad Poster
#8533 Old 8th Jun 2019 at 8:51 PM
There doesn't seem to be much features that could be utilized outside of the world. Limit lifeguard and swimming, and that will be a joy kill. As for it being an expansion pack for TS4, its theme (I may be bias, but I think many will find too) is quite good.

Instructor
#8534 Old 8th Jun 2019 at 8:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Chax
Are they adding "ocean swimming" to all neighborhoods ? Like on the islandy part of Windenburg for example. Or is it only for the new world. That's something I'd like to know.

Probably not for other worlds because they'd have to re-code each individual area, plus tbh that island in Windenburg is the ONLY other neighborhood that could qualify for this. IF they actually went back and patched that Windenburg neighborhood for this, I'd be impressed, but I sincerely doubt they do.
Scholar
#8535 Old 8th Jun 2019 at 8:52 PM
By Sims 4 standards, this pack seems pretty good. I don't really expect any more depth than necessary for the features - if you take them for what they are, they're decent, but if you expect more you'll be disappointed. I don't think the mermaids will have much to them - they don't seem to have their own under water world (unless they're rabbit holes, and that doesn't really count), and whatever powers they have doesn't really make up for that. I don't really mind the disguise feature on them, as you decide yourself if you want them to be disguised or not, what is more concerning is that they can't really do anything as mermaids but swim in the ocean (and maybe talk to the dolphin). Real depth in my eyes would be actually having underwater lots where only mermaids could live, and that sims could visit with oxygen tanks. Guess they ran out of imagination and/or resources - again.

So be it. Move. ~Jason Bourne
Simblr
Forum Resident
#8536 Old 8th Jun 2019 at 8:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Chax
I've been out of the loop... Is this an expansion pack then ? 40 euros ? When is it coming out ? Thank you everyone.

New EP, probably same price as previous EPs and it'll be released June 21st. There were leaks yesterday and ~ an hour ago they gave us the official infos during their EA Play presentation.
Here's the official trailer btw

And here's the presentation with some more infos from Lyndsay and Duke
Mad Poster
#8537 Old 8th Jun 2019 at 8:52 PM
I assume it'll just be something for the new world, unfortunately. Shame too. Open waters and boating in every world is one of the reasons I love Island Paradise in TS3.

As for what we know for sure is in this pack, I'm actually kinda excited. So far, everything looks great.

The Receptacle still lives!
Instructor
#8538 Old 8th Jun 2019 at 8:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Apsalar
I don't think the mermaids will have much to them - they don't seem to have their own under water world (unless they're rabbit holes), and whatever powers they have doesn't really make up for that.

This is my concern too. If you rank the lifestates in terms of unique abilities and functionality from best to worst, the list probably goes:

-Witches
-Vampires (Sims 4)
-Servo (Sims 2)
-Genies
-Werewolves
-Fairies
-Aliens
-Plant Sims
-Mermaids
-Zombies

It's great to finally see a new life state, but Mermaids have always been one of the budget life states with very little to do. For Mermaids to actually be interesting, the team has to actually go above and beyond. This pack looks promising in terms of extra effort, but there's still about 5 years of laziness and barebones design under the Sims 4's belt.
Field Researcher
#8539 Old 8th Jun 2019 at 9:01 PM
You know how each expansion has a 'catch', a 'but'. I have a feeling that you wont be able to dive underwater in this expansion, unlike TS3: Island Paradise. I mean if you could, they definately would have showed a glimpse of it in the reveal trailer, it's basic marketing. Not having underwater lots would be a major problem when it comes to mermaids especially, it kinda invalidates them. Hopefully I'm wrong and they just decided to save it for a later gameplay video reveal or something. If diving lots are in the game, they'll probably act like the current hidden lots in the game. Your Sim goes to a specific spot out in the water, performs a diving down animation and then you loadscreen into the underwater lot.

Also, majorly excited about the Realm of Magic game pack, FINALLY WITCHES!
Mad Poster
#8540 Old 8th Jun 2019 at 9:01 PM
Werewolf above fairies and aliens? Well, referring to TS3'S, I would put below those from the immersion I have from my knowledge.

Forum Resident
#8541 Old 8th Jun 2019 at 9:05 PM
Werewolf above fairies and aliens? Well, referring to TS3'S, I would put below those from the immersion I have from my knowledge.

Well, around a year ago Grant said they didn't even start any work on werewolves. So if werewolves actually are part of the new GP then they must have started work on them just right after that tweet and I don't know if this is enough time for concepts and development?
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#8542 Old 8th Jun 2019 at 9:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lil bag2
I assume it'll just be something for the new world, unfortunately. Shame too. Open waters and boating in every world is one of the reasons I love Island Paradise in TS3.

This is why I miss TS1, TS2, and TS3 world tools. Everything was built from the same tools, just modified.

TS1 and TS2 lots were basically a rectangle you modified and everything was consistent. TS3 worlds all stemmed from a piece of terrain and an ocean mesh. Lots were segmented into other lots. These all made changes universal as they worlds were build from a similar model. TS4 worlds all have a terrain mesh, but the water mesh appear to be a separate piece of content not build into the base. I think this might cause all worlds with oceans not to be routable.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Instructor
#8543 Old 8th Jun 2019 at 9:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
No no, it's a pink leotard now.

A true classic never goes out of style.

A fool and his money are soon parted. ~ Thomas Tusser
Top Secret Researcher
#8544 Old 8th Jun 2019 at 11:14 PM

I was 'eh' on Sims 3 werewolves, but a fan of those in Sims 2.
Mad Poster
#8545 Old 9th Jun 2019 at 1:41 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Apsalar
By Sims 4 standards, this pack seems pretty good. I don't really expect any more depth than necessary for the features - if you take them for what they are, they're decent, but if you expect more you'll be disappointed. I don't think the mermaids will have much to them - they don't seem to have their own under water world (unless they're rabbit holes, and that doesn't really count), and whatever powers they have doesn't really make up for that. I don't really mind the disguise feature on them, as you decide yourself if you want them to be disguised or not, what is more concerning is that they can't really do anything as mermaids but swim in the ocean (and maybe talk to the dolphin). Real depth in my eyes would be actually having underwater lots where only mermaids could live, and that sims could visit with oxygen tanks. Guess they ran out of imagination and/or resources - again.

Thinking about it, the likelihood that there's no swimmable water in other worlds makes this almost another City Living- where many features are pack-segregated and only work as-advertised in the world provided.

More questions to ask:

- Where else are mermaids viable? Are you going to basically have normal sims that only have swimming pools to transform in?
- Will you be able to play in the sand in other worlds? What about the water activities and lifeguarding- will you be able to at least do some of them in normal pools?
- Is conservation going to be active only in Sulani? Goodness knows that Brindleton and Windenburg have beaches that are perfect for it, even if you leave out the world-changing element. Heck, Selvadorada and Granite Falls are perfect for the eco-warrior conservationist career- and something like the #TrashTag challenge could have been great for all worlds.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#8546 Old 9th Jun 2019 at 2:02 AM
A bigger question is whether we have ponds or not.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Mad Poster
#8547 Old 9th Jun 2019 at 2:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SusannaG
I was 'eh' on Sims 3 werewolves, but a fan of those in Sims 2.

Both versions didn't really appeal to me. From an aesthetic standpoint, I've always been a bigger fan of the werewolves that are more wolf than man, not the classic "man who seriously needs a shave" that we've been getting in the sims. As much as I despise twilight, I did think that series' version of werewolves were really cool.

From a functional standpoint, they obviously can't incorporate any of the horror aspects of werewolves (aside from them spreading their ailment through bites) I think TS3 was on the right track with the whole pack mentality. But that game never did group activities very well. TS4 on the other hand, for better or worse, is built around socialization and group activities. Especially after the Get Together expansion.

All they gotta do is give werewolves a badass makeover and find a way to integrate the concept of wolf packs into what they've already got going on with social groups, and we could have some decent, albeit tame (though, no more than vampires), werewolves.

Quote: Originally posted by matrix54
A bigger question is whether we have ponds or not.

It still pisses me off that we have buyable ponds now but they aren't swimmable.

The Receptacle still lives!
Instructor
#8548 Old 9th Jun 2019 at 8:30 AM Last edited by DeservedCriticism : 9th Jun 2019 at 8:45 AM.
First signs of cracks, here's quotes from someone who was at EA play:

Quote:
I only had about 15 minutes and I was frantically trying to see as much as possible, so I can't really form an opinion on much, but I will say that the world looks very pretty and the neighborhoods are very expansive, and there are 3 of them. I want to say there are 13-14 lots or so in the world total

Quote:
Mermaids are nice imo! In CAS they have 4 tail styles with numerous swatches, among lots of clothing, hairstyles, skin options that I didn't get to see because I wanted to get into the world. Their needs are the same except hydration replaces hygene and they have special powers that cost hydration.

Quote:
They have various charm powers they can use on other sims, a lullaby power they can use to put other sims to sleep, they can summon dolphins, and they can lure fish to them for fishing. There may be more, but those are the ones I saw.

Quote:
Mermaids are between Aliens and Vampires when it comes to gameplay depth. There's certainly more to them than Aliens, but they aren't as fleshed out as Vampires.

Quote:
There is a scuba feature, and you can activate it by interacting with any of the diving buoys floating around. However, when I tried to go diving it told me the water was too shallow. I'm not sure what was up with that.

tl;dr world is small and it's pretty much the same old mermaids we know with limited powers and uniqueness to them. To be fair, from the screenshots I've seen the existing lots are at least bigger than most neighborhoods (seems like multiple 64 x 64s are present), but lot count is still weak. For Mermaids, this person claims they're better than aliens, but that's not saying much since honestly what the hell can aliens even do?

Aspiration count is 1 and trait count is 2: Child of the Island and Child of the Ocean. Not sure what the difference is or why there's two because wtf both seem similar given that the ocean currently only exists next to the island in the entirety of the Sims 4's world.
Mad Poster
#8549 Old 9th Jun 2019 at 10:20 AM
At least mermaids get any powers, unlike previous incarnations. I like the siren apporach from them, and really... that was what was missing. Give the ability to pull sim anywhere from the world to their current destination and seduce them instantly, and you get a neat power. Allow the said under-trance Sim to mermaids-player bidding? Im not sure if and how many alternative ways of these things TS4 has?

Test Subject
#8550 Old 9th Jun 2019 at 10:38 AM
It has been confirmed that ocean swimming is only available in the new world, according to this AMA of someone who attended EA Play:

https://reddit.com/r/thesims/commen..._island_living/
Locked thread
Page 342 of 447