Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#101 Old 18th May 2013 at 9:13 AM
Quote: Originally posted by fanseelamb
This may be a dumb question, but to Denim and the other migrane sufferers or folks who can't deal with bright screens for medical reasons - there are lots of bright websites out there. Wouldn't it help to just turn down your monitor's brightness/contrast setting?

If it's anything like mine, it isn't brightness in that sense, it's really intensity of color. If you get two colors against each other that are both loud, like bright red and bright green, or more than a small splash of intense color on the page. So I can take one headline or banner in an intense color, but can't read an entire post against a background of that colour without beginning to get nausea and that warning ringing in my ears. Also where the font is lighter than the background, I can't manage for large areas of text. It's probably eyestrain that is the direct cause of the symptoms rather than anything weird.

However, I will say that most of the bootstrap styles on offer before they were removed were usable for me, although some were not - for example the one that had the dark grey blender-style background.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Advertisement
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#102 Old 18th May 2013 at 9:16 AM
Ok. We will bear that in mind and make sure we implement at least one fairly muted, low-contrast theme, once we have the basic layout etc. sorted.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
#103 Old 18th May 2013 at 10:25 AM
I'm not really up to date on this technology - is bootstrap meant to be something where the user can set their own colors anyway? Or just that it gives users an opportunity to contribute a theme to the site?

NB I am having no visual problems with the default bootstrap theme I am using now. If you keep this as an option it will suit at least one person

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#104 Old 18th May 2013 at 10:50 AM
It is pretty easy to produce one's own colour combinations for bootstrap, yep. Now that D has been tinkering with the more basic elements of bootstrap, new colour schemes will need to be done through a special MTS thing (general use sites like Lavish Bootstrap won't work), but I get the impression that there is going to be such a thing. We're also hoping to let creators set their own colours for use on their profiles (within reason) like we did under the vBB themes. I'm not sure if we'll have an option for users to set their own colours sitewide, but it is a nice idea, so hopefully it'll be discussed.

I also see no reason why we wouldn't implement user contributed themes for everyone, if they're nice.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Inventor
#105 Old 18th May 2013 at 1:43 PM
My honest opinion is that I dislike the new theme/ layout for several reasons.

1. Why must something that works brilliantly and has garnered a lot of respect over the years for the immense usability need to be "fixed"? This is the problem with the internet, so much changes and we're constantly having to learn to adapt to these changes despite the original design of things being so popular.

2. The new theme is messy, things are all over the page and there's very little colour scheme going on which makes it difficult to distinguish between functions.

The current theme is well bordered, has familliar colours that people are well comfortable with and which imo, has made MTS so popular because of the easy browsing. You're not confronted with different information and an array of features and functions, they are all laid out nicely and are easy to read.

This isn't the case with the new theme, it's taking a leap back. It's like games released these days, so many are based on design rather than functionality. The current design is great, it's simple and really easy to navigate.

I just personally don't see the point in fixing or 'improving' something which works absolutely great and has done so for so long.
Test Subject
#106 Old 18th May 2013 at 2:14 PM
I'd just like to say that Delphy shouldn't have to face an uproar so bad that he has to revert the whole website back when he changes it. It's his website, when Facebook changes stuff, people complain, but that's that, it was their decision and they do their best to fix new bugs and issues. RoosterTeeth creates a new channel, starts uploading set videos every day, takes weeks for Minecraft Let's Play - Shopping List to be released? Get the fuck over it, you have to respect these people for sharing their talent and creations with you in the first place. So, basically, stop being pussies and just let the man make the website the way he likes it. It's not like the site will lose that many users if they hate the layout, seeing as it's still one of the best and most trusted custom content sites for TS3. I personally would love for the grid pattern to be back and for the Ad spaces to be a little less invasive, but if he doesn't change that then I'll live with it. This comment will probably be deleted for my language, but it was really the only way to describe how I feel about the situation.
Lab Assistant
#107 Old 18th May 2013 at 4:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
Would it be possible to have a "View first unread" button on topic listing level not just after you opened the thread? After all that's what most people are probably wanting to do when they're opening a thread, and it would save an extra click and a little bit of time. Currently there is a "Go to last post" button at listing level, but I am not sure that's very useful as a rule, unless by chance the last post is also first unread

That would be helpful too (I think) but the advantage of the Go to last post is if no one else aside from the creator of the thread has written and the creator has update his/her last post, in order to avoid the double posting rules, the thread itself won't get update and this way every person is gonna be able to see the update post

Live your life to d fullest! B happy!!
#108 Old 18th May 2013 at 5:10 PM Last edited by Inge Jones : 18th May 2013 at 9:15 PM. Reason: Added something new
Quote: Originally posted by ChiK_HeinekeN
That would be helpful too (I think) but the advantage of the Go to last post is if no one else aside from the creator of the thread has written and the creator has update his/her last post, in order to avoid the double posting rules, the thread itself won't get update and this way every person is gonna be able to see the update post

... and miss it if it happened to be penultimate post. Ok so this option is useful in one particular situation, but since we don't know before clicking when that situation might have arisen, we'll have to click the button at random and hope the situation coincides with our decision. Or have I missed some important point?

Edited hours later: I just spotted the "Go to first unread" on the listing of topics in individual forums. Just need that button added to the "New Posts" search listing too (and similar search results), and I am a happy bunny

Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#109 Old 19th May 2013 at 11:10 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
Yes, but only after you open the thread by clicking on it in the list/index. What I was wondering is if we can actually have it at list/index level, instead of the Go to last post button.

No its on forum display too. Down arrow to left of thread titles, same as old theme

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Site Helper
#110 Old 22nd May 2013 at 3:13 PM
@Saturnfly:

I really hadn't noticed that things were any more "All over the page" than they are in the old familiar themes. The pages sometimes have more on them, and things have been moved a bit, but the placement logic is similar. If I can figure out where to look for something in this format, I can find it in Bootstrap.

And if you really hate the colors in the current Bootstrap theme, check Whiterider's post just above yours.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Lab Assistant
#111 Old 23rd May 2013 at 12:20 PM
Is it just me or the upper menu really doesn't work anymore? O_o;

Welp, until the problem is fixed, I'll just use Google search for now. :|

† Psycho-Raven the grave digger. †
Scholar
#112 Old 24th May 2013 at 3:03 AM
dose bootstrap not have a theme selector, at all? I was using old-style for a bit and saw a message at the top that said "Hey NightRacer, still using Blue Game style? Why not try the beta version!" And it linked me to a bootrsap link, that didnt work. So I came in here and clicked the dedicated link, but now I cant for the life of me find a theme selector :/
*shrugs*
retired moderator
#113 Old 24th May 2013 at 3:10 AM
Night Racer, Delphy has disabled all custom bootstrap themes for now.

Quote: Originally posted by Delphy
Hi All,

I've disabled all but the basic Bootstrap theme for now. This is becuase I am now compiling my own version with custom mixins and LESS and adding additional colour gradients and so on. So that means that all the existing custom CSS files no longer work properly.

Once the basic layout and markup and CSS works for the bootstrap theme, I can then start working on *specific* custom colour schemes.

https://www.modthesims.info/sh...ad.php?t=503224

I don't mind if you call me "MSD" or something for short.
Tumblr
Perhaps someday I'll have leisure time back...
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#114 Old 24th May 2013 at 11:03 AM
Quote: Originally posted by psyraven
Is it just me or the upper menu really doesn't work anymore? O_o;

Welp, until the problem is fixed, I'll just use Google search for now.

What do you mean "doesn't work anymore"? I can't "fix the problem" unless I know what the problem is - and it works perfectly fine for everybody else testing it...

Please give specifics:

- Browser user + version
- OS used
- Description of issue
- Screenshot of issue happening

Thanks

Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#115 Old 24th May 2013 at 11:03 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Night Racer
dose bootstrap not have a theme selector, at all? I was using old-style for a bit and saw a message at the top that said "Hey NightRacer, still using Blue Game style? Why not try the beta version!" And it linked me to a bootrsap link, that didnt work. So I came in here and clicked the dedicated link, but now I cant for the life of me find a theme selector :/

What, specifically "didn't work"?

Scholar
#116 Old 24th May 2013 at 2:37 PM
ok, scratch that. now the link loads Bootsrap fine, but yesterday it just loaded old style with attempted bootstrap text layout, so it didnt match, and the downloads pages was 6 levels of messed up.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#117 Old 24th May 2013 at 4:04 PM
That sounds.... very weird. Glad it's fixed now though!

Lab Assistant
#118 Old 24th May 2013 at 6:44 PM
ok, i'm a nobody here. not much comments, no support, no upload, nothing - a little lurker who shouldn't have the right to express an opinion since i never participate much.
nonetheless - my opinion about the new layout, bacause i was shocked:
i don't have anything against changes generally, absolutely not - at - all.
though, as i saw the whiteness blending my eyes, and the general look of the new style, i was like "OMG. they did it. AGAIN! aaaargh!

not "you" or "MTS" again, but after *cough-the-site-that-shouldn't-be-mentioned*, aka TSR, and the newly awful changes on Livejournal, i really really wonder why e-ve-ry-bo-dy is switching to this loathesome, naked, bland, eyehurting white layout. i heard it's a facebook clone - dunno, i never go there i avoid like the pest.
i know there are/should be style/color options coming (but somehow, i saw the option to custom the colors only once, the 1st time, now the link or button is gone, or i'm very stupid). though from what i saw in the cyborg greyish blue (??) - huh, less worse than the white, but that's about it.

i'm not one who cries for old stuff past. nor do i go apes*it when stuff changes from one day to another, with or without announcement. when the result is comparatively just as good, or naturally, better. but this state of the art clone design that all forums/journals seem to be greedy to adopt ranks for me a lot lower than "just as good".. ~

i know you and your team(s) have been doing an amazing awesome great job building up this wonderful interesting site, spending days, months, years giving your all to make it work - and you succeded. i can only bow low to your engagement, your skills, your endurance, and be thankful you offered us the result of your hard work just like this. the world needs more people like you and probably less like me, comfortable lazy little lurker with a big mouth and an opinion. and anyway, hey your site, your rules, your game.

just.. a layout is the 1st thing that you see on a site. THE impression. just after the whole background server stuff which nobody "sees" but gets pissed off when they get a 404. so from it hangs the whole degree of fun the user actually has on the site - even before the content imho, because with an awful layout, i don't even want to stay to view said content really. guess what: i already wasn't a huge follower of TSR, now since they changed for their new layout, i land there casually by a link, but generally, i don't visit it any more. my own new scrapbook on Livejournal which replaced the previous awesome galleries? i hate it. if Dreamwidth had galleries, i would move everything over there at once, because DA galleries don't offer more either in customizing. so i just use LJ's scrapbook as my storage for the pics on my LJ/DWs, just because it's practical.. and as LJ keeps implementing new crap, i only stay there because all my communities and friends are there - if there was a real crosstalk between LJ & DW, i'd be gone in a wink, even if a good friend has paid until 2018 (i'm serious, LOL).

i really don't want to experience the same with MTS - it's the only sim site i follow and visit regularly, and it would be a big loss to not visit it any more - or to barely "bear the look of it".. i would be around more too if i was actually playing right now - due to tech spec issues, i made a sim pause, so there's a reason why i don't participate more actively too ~ as soon as i'd get a decent PC, i'd play again, and bring some stuff too ^^.. just.. don't put your site in the same basket as certain social networks *snort* and emulate them (per intent or pure chance) - you're much better.

ooops guess i am a slight little bit upset.. i wrote a bloody novel XDD
feel free to delete this if you want, as long as you, the mind behind it, get to read it once ^_^
Site Helper
#119 Old 24th May 2013 at 7:57 PM
It's in development. If you have a strong opinion about what should or should not be included in the new setup, https://www.modthesims.info/forumdisplay.php?f=671 is a forum where you can make suggestions and give feedback.

(And you are just as important as anybody else. Even if you only lurk, you qualify as someone who sees the ads, which help provide revenue for the site. And there would be a lot fewer people interested in uploading anything if nobody downloaded it. )

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Test Subject
#120 Old 27th May 2013 at 2:01 PM
I usually don't have input about what people want to do with their sites, even those that I visit frequently (like this one). The way I see it is, I'm not paying for it, so my opinion is invalidated. I come for the content, however you want to serve it up is your deal, not mine. Having said that, I'm old, and as such, I'm resistant to change. I logged in that day when the site had been flipped over and my immediate response, after "was it hijacked or sold?" was "Oh great, now I have to learn where everything is all over again." As far as the looks? Don't care. Getting lost in an area that was once familiar? Frustrating.

My impression on the overall look was that it belonged on a smartphone. You know, those overpriced mini-tablets that kids* use to be rude at each other? Yeah, looked like it should go on one of those, and not a real computer that's capable of running TS3.

* Kids = Children under the age of 25. As opposed to children who are around retirement age, like me. :P
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#121 Old 27th May 2013 at 2:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Krysee
I usually don't have input about what people want to do with their sites, even those that I visit frequently (like this one). The way I see it is, I'm not paying for it, so my opinion is invalidated. I come for the content, however you want to serve it up is your deal, not mine. Having said that, I'm old, and as such, I'm resistant to change. I logged in that day when the site had been flipped over and my immediate response, after "was it hijacked or sold?" was "Oh great, now I have to learn where everything is all over again." As far as the looks? Don't care. Getting lost in an area that was once familiar? Frustrating.

My impression on the overall look was that it belonged on a smartphone. You know, those overpriced mini-tablets that kids* use to be rude at each other? Yeah, looked like it should go on one of those, and not a real computer that's capable of running TS3.

* Kids = Children under the age of 25. As opposed to children who are around retirement age, like me. :P

Can I ask if you have even tried the new theme since then? Becuase there has been a *lot* of changes to it. Yes, some things are a bit different, but most things are actually in the same place as before. I suspect the main thing that people found "different" and "getting lost on" was the download browser with the pinterest type view, and thats gone now.

Regarding the comment about smartphones - the new layout is actually readable on a smartphone or tablet now. The old one wasn't. So if you regularly get involved in the discussions (as opposed to only downloading) then you now have another option for checking the site on the go.

Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#122 Old 27th May 2013 at 2:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by portisHeart
i really don't want to experience the same with MTS - it's the only sim site i follow and visit regularly, and it would be a big loss to not visit it any more - or to barely "bear the look of it".. i would be around more too if i was actually playing right now - due to tech spec issues, i made a sim pause, so there's a reason why i don't participate more actively too ~ as soon as i'd get a decent PC, i'd play again, and bring some stuff too ^^.. just.. don't put your site in the same basket as certain social networks *snort* and emulate them (per intent or pure chance) - you're much better.

I'm just curious why people always assume I am copying facebook. The style and content is totally different and I'm not using it in any way to shape how the new look works.

Instead, I'm basing changes on how the non-vocal users actually use the site. For example, the majority of people browse at specific resolutions, and the download browse pages get the most hits - and most people click on the images, and not the text. So to make things more accessible to people (by, for example, displaying images above the fold) then it enables them to more easily determine if a download is, well, downloadable. Previously there was an *awful* lot of scrolling needed (or a bunch of mouse clicks) to see the screenshots. I know it's "different" but thats what happens when things get moved around.

I think part of the problem here is that MTS has not changed it's style in 8 years or so. At all. Sure, there've been minor bits and pieces, but overall it's been basically the exact same style - and people get used to that. So as soon as something new comes along it's like "I don't know where to click!" or "I'm confused!". But in essence the majority of things are in the same place - they are just styled differently.

You know one of the good things about this new codebase? If you wanted to, you could make your own colour scheme. For only you to use. You could style it however you like. Want to make the site have a pink background? Go nuts. Want to have huge fonts only on the post messages? Thats possible to. Theres a lot more thats actually possible to give you - the users - the power to control, if you want it. But obviously that power comes with a price. It is one that I'm willing to pay, however, given the ancient theme that we have, and given the power of modern browsers and screen sizes.

So, no, it wont look like Facebook (and indeed, I don't think it does), but it does share a lot of similarities in terms of underlying web technologies. General comparisons are, I think, a bit unfair at this point.

Lab Assistant
#123 Old 27th May 2013 at 3:09 PM
So, no, it wont look like Facebook (and indeed, I don't think it does), but it does share a lot of similarities in terms of underlying web technologies. General comparisons are, I think, a bit unfair at this point.

well.. i might be a bit biased & traumatized from the few sites where this kind of change happened and disappointed/unnerved me, ok . i'm sorry if i overreacted here. it was just this clone effect - which obviously isn't the case as you mention here->

If you wanted to, you could make your own colour scheme. For only you to use. You could style it however you like. Want to make the site have a pink background? Go nuts. Want to have huge fonts only on the post messages? Thats possible to. Theres a lot more thats actually possible to give you - the users - the power to control, if you want it.

that's what i searched for a while for.. around here, then i went to the bootstrap page, but the customization page looked a bit confusing, not even sure if it was the right one - and if there was a menu anywhere to pick a layout, on myMts, bootstrap or anything, i totally missed it ~
though the download pages, and the huge icons *sigh*..

ah well, i think eventually, you working user-oriented & being flexible, and counting on cool customization, the new look won't be that awful. and i'll lose any reason to jump up & down thanks for your hard work anyway!
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#124 Old 27th May 2013 at 3:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by portisHeart
well.. i might be a bit biased & traumatized from the few sites where this kind of change happened and disappointed/unnerved me, ok . i'm sorry if i overreacted here. it was just this clone effect - which obviously isn't the case as you mention here->

No probs - to be honest, I get the same whenever I see a "standard" bootstrap site without any customisation. It's just been overdone at this point.

Quote:
that's what i searched for a while for.. around here, then i went to the bootstrap page, but the customization page looked a bit confusing, not even sure if it was the right one - and if there was a menu anywhere to pick a layout, on myMts, bootstrap or anything, i totally missed it ~
though the download pages, and the huge icons *sigh*..

If you want to have a play around with something specific, go to https://www.modthesims.info/themegen/ - you do need to know how to do colours and stuff, but some basic copy pasting will help. It's very quick and dirty so much take a little while to get used to.

As for the huge icons on the download pages - what do you mean? All the EP icons are small there. Do you mean the thumbnails? If so, then thats been changed. When I first rolled out the new theme I'd sized the thumbnails up to double (from 150x150 to 300x300 minimum), and people said they where too big, so *now* they are at *most* 250x250, which is larger than before, but not too large.

Quote:
ah well, i think eventually, you working user-oriented & being flexible, and counting on cool customization, the new look won't be that awful. and i'll lose any reason to jump up & down thanks for your hard work anyway!

Yeah, the customisation is really one of the things I like too - anybody can, with a little effort, make a real My MTS theme. I'm even working on an even *easier* theme generator, with colour picks and so on, but it's a bit more involved and the javascript is being annoying.

Thanks for the comments btw!

Top Secret Researcher
#125 Old 27th May 2013 at 5:33 PM
and most people click on the images, and not the text.
Pardon me if that's a dumb question, but why would I click on text unless it's a link?

You know one of the good things about this new codebase? If you wanted to, you could make your own colour scheme. For only you to use. You could style it however you like.
That's what I probably like best about the new site. I'm sure with time there'll be the right theme for everyone. Might be a good idea to think ahead and offer a central place where users can share their custom themes.

Check out Omicron-Simtauri, my new space project!

Newest creation on my Livejournal: Fish with party hats: Garland and default
Looking for an Underground Station? thread on GoS
Grungy cars! thread on GoS latest: VW Type 2 Two-Tones
Page 5 of 7