Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Inventor
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Jul 2005 at 6:21 PM Last edited by daysies : 14th Aug 2005 at 4:54 PM. Reason: removed excess smilies
Default makeing a table but not sure how 2 make the table top glass
:confused: hi :howdy: i wuz wondering if some 1 can help me im in the early stage of makeing a new table which if i can finish i will be posted on mts2.com
right now im in the process of finishing the table top and then uv mapp it but i won't be able 2 finish this object cuz i want the table top see through (glass) can any 1 please help me. :D
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 30th Jul 2005 at 8:03 PM Last edited by eddief66 : 30th Jul 2005 at 8:10 PM.
Make the table top part of the texture white and make the matching part of the alpha grey. The darker the grey the more transparent it will be. Then in the material defination change the stdMatAlphaBlendMode to blend. Make sure to commit after each step. Here's a test table I did to make sure it would work. Of course, it doesn't only have to be white, that's just for plain glass. You can make it any color you wish, even add a pattern if you want.
Screenshots
Inventor
Original Poster
#3 Old 31st Jul 2005 at 10:48 PM
ok kool thanx that wuz a big help.
Forum Resident
#4 Old 31st Jul 2005 at 11:19 PM
I forgot to say that for the texture you have to set the format to DXT3 or DXT5,
Inventor
Original Poster
#5 Old 19th Dec 2005 at 12:58 AM
where do i get this from!
Fluffy
retired moderator
#6 Old 19th Dec 2005 at 9:07 AM
jms,
when importing your texture, right-click the texture map and choose 'build dxt'
that gives you a new window where you can choose the type of dxt and a bunch of other things

there's also another way to make a glass top, that I feel gives a less 'grainy' glass
I'm not saying it's easier, though
for it, you'll have to find an object with glass that you like and extract the Material Definition of that glass
then, open your own object, find the material definition of your top, write down or copy the filename and stdMatBaseTextureName (line 13)
right-click on the matdef in the top right window and 'replace' with the glass one you extracted before
then copy back the filename and stdMatBaseTextureName
you can now adjust colour etc using the parameters in the Material definition
check RGiles tut on glass floors for some useful info on that
Inventor
Original Poster
#7 Old 26th Dec 2005 at 1:31 AM
thankyou lethe_s