Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th May 2005 at 3:57 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business
Default Game Crash
Hello. I don't normally have a problem with my Sims 2 game, actually it's never EVER crashed before, but today while I was playing I got an error that said something to the effect of "The application has crashed, and will now be terminated." Or something close to that, and it was completely random. I had been playing for a couple hours.. o.O but that usually has no effect on the game, and it's not like I put some new object on the lot or something. Anyone know what could have caused this? I'm about to go load the game, and hope it doesn't happen again. :screwy:

Remember... He who laughs last, didn't get the joke..
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 30th May 2005 at 4:00 AM Last edited by Amish Nick : 4th Aug 2005 at 1:19 AM. Reason: spelling
Try your game maybe it was just a fluke.

In some cases it can be caused by a background program running that kicked you out.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 30th May 2005 at 5:38 AM
Blah. Ok tried it again. I played for 30 min to an hour, and saved every 2 seconds (exageration) Everything was find for a while, then all of a sudden it did it again. :confused:
Screenshots

Instructor
#4 Old 30th May 2005 at 5:59 AM Last edited by sissimoody : 30th May 2005 at 6:01 AM.
Have you installed a new hack or user created mesh lately? Clothing or object mesh...

Have you used "SimPE" to export sims into your "saved sims" folder? Peek in there to see if you have any files starting with N001, N002, N003, etc. If you do, get them out.

Try removing every download you have and go visit a neighbourhood or house you never play in and haven't specially decorated. See if it does ok! If it doesn't crash, you've probably got a messed up file and in that case you'll have to put a few items at a time in and visit the crashing house numerous times to track down the culprit.

Is it one house or is it happening with others?

EDIT: Have you put in a new AUDIO card lately? I ended up having to buy a new audio card because my game kept crashing every few minutes. I've not seen on Maxis site what audio cards are or are not compatible with the game. I got "Sound Blaster" and everything is fine with no crashes.
Scholar
#5 Old 30th May 2005 at 6:04 AM
http://forums.modthesims2.com/showt...ght=overheating

This is some info on overheating, this may not be your problem, but it does cause random crashing like you have. If I find anything else I will post.

Teresa
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#6 Old 30th May 2005 at 6:12 AM Last edited by kmercer1 : 30th May 2005 at 6:27 AM.
It's possible that it could be a user created mesh, but that doesn't explain why it runs fine for a while, then suddenly crashes. :screwy: I don't think I've installed any new hacks, and I don't mess with SimPE. As for overheating.. well, I don't have a laptop, so I don't think that's the problem, and also, I restart my computer frequently, especially before loading the Sims 2.

EDIT: Ok, after re-reading the thread on over-heating, I think that could possibly be a problem... but I never had problems before. I did download a ton of new stuff yesterday, including some new meshes. :smash: I just wish I knew if it were because of over-heating, or if there's a corrupted mesh. Why do downloads have to be such a pain? :blah: We have the side panel of our computer off, I hope that's not bad for the computer? We assumed it would help 'prevent' the over-heating. I guess not. :werd:

EDIT #2: Would it be safe to have a small fan blowing toward the inside of the computer? :screwy:
Scholar
#7 Old 30th May 2005 at 6:56 AM
A lot of people use a fan to see if it is an overheating problem. I did the same with my laptop, before I bought the cooling pad. Might try cleaning the fans with canned air(follow directions on can) or a cool blow dryer. Sometimes they just get clogged with dust. Good luck!

Teresa
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#8 Old 30th May 2005 at 7:12 AM Last edited by kmercer1 : 30th May 2005 at 8:30 AM.
I turned off my computer to let it cool down for a bit (if that's possible, living in Arizona.) Also cleaned it with a can of air, and put a fan infront of it. If all that doesn't work.. then booo. I guess I get to clean out my downloads folder again, yippee.

EDIT: :banghead: I re-loaded my game after my post above, and much to my dismay, it crashed again after about 15-20 minutes, if that. I just dont get it. I'm going to try taking out the folder with all the crap I downloaded yesterday and see if that helps. Thankfully I put it all in a seperate folder. If that's the problem, that sucks, I like my spiffy new stuff. :fallen: If anyone else has any ideas as to what the deal is... pllleeeeaase, for the love of.. um.. something.. let me know. :smash: :screwy:

Lab Assistant
#9 Old 30th May 2005 at 10:57 AM Last edited by Amish Nick : 4th Aug 2005 at 1:17 AM. Reason: spelling
If you downloaded a house as part of those downloads run clean installer, you may have had a hack or hacked object make it into your computer. If not then do transfer out the recent downloads and try the game.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#10 Old 30th May 2005 at 11:14 AM Last edited by kmercer1 : 30th May 2005 at 11:29 AM.
I removed the folder in which I put all the new downloads, and re-loaded my game. I'll be damned if it didn't crash again! I'm running Clean Installer right now. I have a new question though... what is the My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Teleport folder for? Mine is empty, but I thought that the Clean Installer installed some things into that folder earlier. Should it be empty, or what? And also another thing.. I noticed that the game seems to be crashing after running about 1 sim hour now, and its rather laggy. And one last thing, when I started Clean Installer, it was saying that a whole crap load of files could not be read :confused: :banghead: :wtf2: :madashel: :gonemad: :swear: :steam: :grrr: :soul: :loco: :shrug: :screwy: And all that other fun stuff....

(See attachment. And that's not all the errors it brought up. :blah: )
Screenshots

Lab Assistant
#11 Old 30th May 2005 at 11:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by kmercer1
"The application has crashed, and will now be terminated."

You are not the only one. This happens to me as well. But for me it seems to happen mostly when I leave the game paused too long, or if I leave the game running on the "choose a neighborhood" screen for too long.

Now some have suggested some things that might be causing it, so......

Amish Nick said it might be a background program kicking you out.... My screen savers used to cause crashes to my game, then I set it to not come on for one hour.... Game still crashes. Also suggested it may be a downloaded house or lot. Well I do not d/l houses or lots, so that is not the problem for me either.

teresa suggested perhaps it could be computer overheating problems. ok then, well if it is that problem, then would it not affect your system as a whole and not just one particular application or program in that system? I ask that because I work on my computer and have programs related to my work that run more often and much longer than the Sims without such problems. Wouldn't they be affected too if it were an overheating problem?

sissimoody suggested it could be a sound card. I am not running one so that is not the problem for me. Also suggested that using SimPE to export sims to the "Saved Sims" folder could be the culprit. I have never done that, so again this does not apply to my crashing.

Now as far as downloads of new meshes, I d/l stuff all the time, and I run the clean2pack thing alot. When I run it, it shows no hacks other than the ones I purposely put in the game. (And was very careful about which hacks to use since many of them conflict with each other. My other d/ls show up in the clean2pack thing as being fine. (What will I see if they are not fine? I know doubles of things show in pink, hacks in red...so if some mesh or object is messed up, what color would it show? I have never seen anything but pink and red.) So anyway, I have gone through the d/ls this way a bunch of times and nothing. So that cannot be the problem for me either. (WILL NOT remove all of my d/ls and try to put them back in a few at a time because with over 6,000 d/ls that would take an eternity. And aside from that if something is amiss with a d/l, wouldn't the clean2pack thing show it?)

Anyway, some great ideas as to why the crashing could be happening, unfortunately though, none of these ideas seem to apply to me. So does anyone have any other suggestions as to why this might be happening?? :confused:

Quote:
Life is not about the amount of breaths you take, it's about the moments that take your breath away.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#12 Old 30th May 2005 at 12:02 PM
My whole deal is that I've NEVER had a problem with the Sims 2 crashing, and it's completely random. I even got rid of everything I've downloaded in the last day or two, since before the problem started, and it's still crashing, so I'm at a major loss.
Test Subject
#13 Old 30th May 2005 at 12:14 PM
Same thing keeps happening to me! I bought a new computer for Christmas (yes CHRISTMAS!) and the Sims 2 is still not running on it. I am still playing it on my old computer. I get the same message all the time. At first it was after 15-20 minutes of playing, but now I can't even load a neighborhood anymore. I have no downloads (don't even have a downloads folder), no EP installed..... I have tried re-installing it a thousand times or more.....

I have tried with Windows XP and Windows ME (I think the rest of the world refers to it as Win 9X).

I have chaged my graphic card twice. I have the side of the computer of and a program to tell me if it is getting too hot and it isn't....

I have no soundcard installed, but I have had - made no difference....

The computer is two times faster than the one I use for playing the Sims2 now. It has over 1000 ram.....

I have had basically ever driver for the graphic card installed - new and old. No difference....

No background programs are running....

I have read almost every thread about "game crashing" EVERYWHERE, but no one seems to have any answers....

I just don't get it! It runs perfectly on the old computer - and I have changed more or less everything on the new computer (CD-drive, ram, screen, graphic card, sound card, power generator thing, fans, mouse & keyboard, Windows, BIOS settings........I have run out of ideas!).

So, if you come out with anything - please ANYTHING, please post it....... I would be very grateful!

Carina

P.S. kmercer1, I'm sorry I couldn't offer any help, but at least now you know you're not alone....haha....
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#14 Old 30th May 2005 at 12:18 PM
Very odd indeed...
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 30th May 2005 at 12:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kmercer1
My whole deal is that I've NEVER had a problem with the Sims 2 crashing, and it's completely random. I even got rid of everything I've downloaded in the last day or two, since before the problem started, and it's still crashing, so I'm at a major loss.

I am right there with you! Had no problems at all, then one day it just decided to crash. I thought it was perhaps the family I was playing. But no, it will do this no matter what family in what neighborhood I am playing.

Also the timing of the crashes seem random to me as well. Sometimes I am playing just a few mintues and it dies. Other times I have played for hours before it crashed. It just makes no sense. Wish there was a file cop thing for this game. I thought that was what the clean2pack thing was for, but as I said, it shows all my d/ls to be ok.

So I am lost right there with you! Trust me I know your pain and frustration, especially if you are like me and forget to save, then crash, hours of progress gone in a flash! Well maybe someone here will have a suggestion to help us both. (What surprises me is we seem to be the only ones stating this kind of problem!)

Quote:
Life is not about the amount of breaths you take, it's about the moments that take your breath away.
Test Subject
#16 Old 30th May 2005 at 12:24 PM
I have a problem with mine, it seems to work ok with established Sims but when I create a new family and try to house them, it just hangs...the egg timer goes round and birds are tweeting but it will not load. Anyone have any ideas?? its really starting to wind me up
Scholar
#17 Old 30th May 2005 at 12:29 PM
I have about 15 objects in my objects folder clean install cannot read, but they have never crashed my game. You can write down what they are and manually remove them.
Overheating on mine did not occurunless I was running sims 2. I can run anything else on here with no problem. It has to do with the 3d graphics, the video card and cooling systems or whatever in computers. Clean Installer as far as I know will not show bad objects. I know I can use the ones it can't read with no problems.
I don't know what you guy's specs are but maybe it is related to downloads and system specs. I know there are a lot of really nice new meshes out there(a lot of them are in my game) but I don't use them because of the effect they have on my computer.
I have only had 2 crashes not related to heating. One was caused by a faulty download(was stated it might cause crashes) and one from a hack I was trying. The only time I have uninstalled my game was when I got university. As of right now I have a little over 6 gigs of downloads in my game, including close to 200 hacks. I defrag and run complete virus scan once a week and i run syware remover programs every time I log off the internet. This maybe why I have no problems with my game.

kmercer1 have you tried moving all downloads out of your game to see if it will play? I know the groupes.cache file, and the content registry file located in the sims 2 folder can become corrupt. I have to remove these from my game every other time I play. They are regenerated when the game is loaded so it doesn't hurt anything. Not sure if it will cause a crash but with mine it won't even load. Might try taking them out and see if it helps.
If you do not have enough memory, when it gets low it will crash.
These are just ideas to think about. I have been looking for anything that might pertain to your problem. I will keep looking.

Teresa
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#18 Old 30th May 2005 at 12:48 PM
I appriciate all the help... thanks for baring (sp?) with me.. I am going nuts over here.. the Sims 2 is like a drug for me.. I can't live without it. :screwy:
Test Subject
#19 Old 30th May 2005 at 2:21 PM
Well, thanks for the Support
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#20 Old 30th May 2005 at 5:36 PM
Ok. Loaded my game once more. Crashed again. I'm giving up for now, and going to bed. Just one thing though. As I stated before, the game crashed when almost exactly 1 sim hour had passed. Coincidence? I don't think so. Anyone else find that odd? Or know what would cause such a thing? :confused:
Test Subject
#21 Old 30th May 2005 at 5:50 PM
Chack you're updates for youre driver(graphics and monitor). Update them. That should help it. At least it did for me. Im running on a laptop...blah
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 30th May 2005 at 5:56 PM
My game crashses randomly after about 10 mins playing its sooo annoyin mine comes up the same quote " The application crashed the application will now terminate" I have a new computer aswell its just sooo annoyin i also delted all the stuff from my downloads folder and uninstalled and re- installed the game three times and one again it keeps crashing grrrrrr
Instructor
#23 Old 30th May 2005 at 6:10 PM Last edited by idtaminger : 30th May 2005 at 6:12 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by MissTech03
Anyway, some great ideas as to why the crashing could be happening, unfortunately though, none of these ideas seem to apply to me. So does anyone have any other suggestions as to why this might be happening??

You don't know until you try, do you? You might not *think* these apply to you, but you obviously don't know for sure until you've positively ruled them out.

-Amish Nick said it might be a background program kicking you out....
Why not close down ALL extraneous background tasks - not just screensavers - and run the game to see? You can't just say, maybe it's the screensavers, and then rule out ALL other background tasks as the culprit when turning off screensavers don't help.

- teresa suggested perhaps it could be computer overheating problems
Wouldn't it make sense for the comp to turn off the app w/ the biggest load on your comp? TS2 isn't just some office app that'll run fine on even the crappiest of computers. It's a full blown 3D game w/ the works, so it's obviously going to be a heck of a lot more work for a comp to run. So of course it could be an overheating problem. But of course, you don't know if it is overheating unless you can positively rule it out, do you? So why not open up your computer case, run a fan on high directly at the internal components, and run up your game. See if it still crashes. If it doesn't, then you have your problem. If it does, try something else.

-Now as far as downloads of new meshes, I d/l stuff all the time, and I run the clean2pack thing alot.
The Clean Installer checks for hacks. That's it. It doesn't check for corrupted files or insanely high poly counts. But of course, corrupted files/insanely high poly counts can definitely crash your game. I've had d/l related crashes a few times, and yes, I use Clean Installer ALL the time. So why not make a backup folder on your desktop, *CUT* and paste your downloads folder onto the desktop, and run the game? If everything runs smoothly, then you've got your culprit. (Don't save after playing this, though, cuz if you save w/ the Maxis defaults, it's gonna stay the Maxis defaults) If that does happen to be your problem, you can move things back in to My Documents section by section to isolate the problem.

You can't just say, this is never going to work for me, never even TRY the solution, and then go about asking for pple to make up more solutions. These three could definitely apply to you, so why not attempt them, and if they don't work, THEN ask for more solutions?
Test Subject
#24 Old 30th May 2005 at 6:22 PM
Default crashes of SIMS2
... well I do not know what to say ... I just can tell my little story:

One day the Sims 2 crashed on my system. From that day it used to crash sometimes after a long time of playing. But I recognized that some other 3D games used to crash after some time too. I tried to figure out what has happened ... I ended up with setting down the speed of the front-side bus. My system should be able to run on 166 ... but doing that it started to crash on 3d games after a while. Now I run the system on 133. Well I thought that some heating problems caused that error. But now all you people report problems simmular to that ... well, well.

Perhaps you can turn your front-side bus down, too
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#25 Old 30th May 2005 at 6:48 PM Last edited by kmercer1 : 31st May 2005 at 1:40 AM.
Im not sure what that means...

(Oh yea, and I just re-installed, if that doesn't help, I'm going to get rid of all my custom content... :weep: )

UPDATE: I totally reinstalled both TS2 and Uni. :blah: I tested out another lot, and it ran fine, so I went back to the lot that had been crashing (there are only 2 lots in that specific town) and sure enough, at 7pm on the dot, it crashed again. It's done that 4 or 5 times now, at exactly 7pm sim time, so I have come to the conclusion that somehow my lot is bugged... how does that happen exactly? :confused: I built it from scratch. :shrug: This sucks because it's my legacy family too... I don't want to start all over... :weep:
Page 1 of 3