Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
#51 Old 28th Jul 2011 at 1:20 PM
@ Sweet Mystre

Could you please continue this discussion in a different thread / private messages? I understand you're upset, however this thread is supposted to deal with the technical side of world editing. I'm sorry people did not respect your wish to not edit your world, please respect that this is the wrong thread to voice your concerns and anger. It gives one someting to think about, though. Thank you!
Advertisement
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#52 Old 29th Jul 2011 at 9:54 PM
Okay, let's keep this on topic.

To be clear, this is a thread about opening Premade worlds, meaning Packed worlds, be they custom or EA created.

To be even more clear, I have no problem with people modifying user created worlds for their own use.

To be explicitly clear, I do have a problem with people taking credit for something they did not create, or re-uploading work created by someone else (unless permission was granted).

To be even more really really absolutely clear, stop crapping on my thread with discussion that is not directly related to opening a premade world.

I am not interested with anyone's interpretation of the EULA, or with how people feel about things, or with who has a complaint.

This thread is not a forum for all of those things, we have plently of other places on this site for such discussion, as well as a whole bulletin board on the EA Sims 3 site.

So let's please discuss ONLY the modification of premade worlds on this thread- exclusive of the ethical implications of such.
Lab Assistant
#53 Old 30th Jul 2011 at 12:47 AM
So, now will you ask posters not to name the worlds of people who actually create the worlds? Is that really too much to ask? Really? Ethics aside- it's only a courtesy.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#54 Old 30th Jul 2011 at 12:55 AM
Sweet Mystre, if you post here any more you will receive another warning. This thread is for discussion of the title topic; if you wish to discuss anything else you may PM me, or else set up a thread in an appropriate forum.

If you post off topic then it makes it difficult for people to find the information they need, and I have asked twice for you to remain on topic.
Lab Assistant
#55 Old 30th Jul 2011 at 12:57 AM
Another warning? Where is the first so I may see it, please.

Or is that the warning?

Okay- So, how to I modify my packaged worlds to keep people from opening them? This will help me edit my own worlds.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#56 Old 30th Jul 2011 at 1:06 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Sweet Mystre
Another warning? Where is the first so I may see it, please.

Check your messages, you should have notification there.

Okay- So, how to I modify my packaged worlds to keep people from opening them? This will help me edit my own worlds.

You cannot. Just remove your downloads if you do not wish to share them.
Lab Assistant
#57 Old 30th Jul 2011 at 1:08 AM
I have removed them- I left two up- will you please remember I do not give permission for people to open my worlds and that if a world of mine is name that you will ask them not to name the world*... I wish you the courtesy you never gave me.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#58 Old 30th Jul 2011 at 1:28 AM
If you have your worlds up for download, then you are by definition agreeing to share them. There is nothing I can do to stop people editing these files, claiming them as their own, filling them with fluffy pink ponies or wearing them on their head. I will not ask people to not name your worlds, since (apart from the birthday cake one and the moon one) I have no idea how many you have created, nor what they are called, and it is not the concern of this thread (which is about the mechanics of the process, not the specific world). If you wish to put conditions on your files then please post these conditions in the place where you offer the files for download.

I cannot guarantee that people will follow your directions (as I have no control over that), but I can guarantee that your files will not be redistributed by this site, as that is against our rules. As I said before, you offered the files for download and the EULA quite clearly states that you are allowing others to use those files however they wish, and common sense dictates that you cannot control what other paople do to these files when you are not looking.

I am not 'hiding behind the EULA', I am merely trying to point out that what you are expecting is unreasonable. Also, I feel that this is an overreaction, since the name of your world was mentioned in a single post (not by me) and yet you have spent the last few days incessantly posting in this thread and on other forums about this, sometimes quoting my posts here as 'evidence' and generally making me out to be the anti-christ.

People are not visiting this forum to read about your feelings of violation, and quite honestly if you feel this way about it then perhaps it would be better if you just did not share anything.

From what I have seen of your creations they look very original and well thought out, and it is understandable that you would want to protect your creations. However, there is no evidence that the person who mentioned your world has any intention of claiming credit for your work, or of redistributing your work. When you say that you do not want people to open your world and edit it for their own use then that is akin to saying that you do not want people to put Don Lothario in the world because you don't like him. It's unreasonable, and cannot be controlled. If you don't want people to play with your worlds then just don't share.

At this point I have said all I want to on this matter, and ask you for the third time to not post on this topic in this thread again.
Lab Assistant
#59 Old 30th Jul 2011 at 1:45 AM
You still argue but take away my right to stand for myself.

Then let no world names be listed when people ask for help. What name the world is shouldn't be posted.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#60 Old 30th Jul 2011 at 2:07 AM
You still argue but take away my right to stand for myself.

Not at all, you can reply to me by PM or post in a suitable forum on this site or anywhere on the world wide web. I do not want ANY off topic posts in this thread, be it mine or anyone elses. And yet you continue to post, thus compelling me to respond.

Then let no world names be listed when people ask for help. What name the world is shouldn't be posted.

Again, this is unreasonable. Please stop posting here.
Lab Assistant
#61 Old 30th Jul 2011 at 1:33 PM
Just wanted to say thanks for this info. I've been wanting a way to edit Sunset Valley for awhile.
I read over this thread and the previous thread more than once just to make sure I had it straight in my head.
Finally gave it a try to get Sunset Valley and everything went smooth following the instructions for the First Method.

Best advice I can give is to be patient. When saving in CAW and Edit in Game it took awhile to save and CAW would even show as not responding like it had crashed but it hadn't.
Same thing after editing in game and saving. It felt like it took forever and the screen kept flashing from the map to a black screen. But I got a book to read and waited it out and it eventually finished.
Test Subject
#62 Old 30th Jul 2011 at 5:34 PM
So Simsample I have a question. I have a non EA world opened in my CAW. I have done the editting I wanted to do to it. It all looked fine and what I wanted. Saved it, exported it. Then in game when I went in to check it. I have weird images under lots that I have placed. Its were I moved the original lot, it was what didnt seem to move (but did just the images were left). And I also have a few homes that I built and placed that in game are showing only as roofs. When I go into the lots everything is how I placed it and wanted it to be, but from the air it looks horrible.

I read a few posts back about going in and painting the terrain, move a tree, etc. I went back to CAW and did this. Saved and exported. But in game its still the same. I can live with it if I have too. But its such a pretty map that if I can fix this I would love to. Do you have any other ideas? Suggestions?
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#63 Old 30th Jul 2011 at 8:27 PM
Thank you grimsoul, I'm glad you found this useful! Thanks for the tips, my EIG takes around ten minutes or more to save a large world, so you really do have to be patient! Also, when you first save a premade world that you've opened, remember that initially the information is all contained within the .World file, and that CAW has to extract all of the lot and layer information and save to individual files. So that can take a while, certainly.

krow134, is this image distortion you mention just existing on the lots themselves, or is it present in the world terrain also?

If it's on the world terrain, then you could try deleting the _KEY resource from your .World file in the CAW UserToolData folder. Then delete your CAW caches, save the world and export again.

If it's just in the lots themselves then try deleting your game caches, worldcaches and CAW caches and then editing the lots in EIG again. If that fails, try editing them in-game instead after you have exported the world. My computer isn't too fast and tends to screw up the low res lot textures all of the time (in CAW/ EIG and in-game), and I've heard others mention this too, so perhaps it's a hardware limitation or even a bug with the game.
Test Subject
#64 Old 30th Jul 2011 at 9:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample

If it's on the world terrain, then you could try deleting the _KEY resource from your .World file in the CAW UserToolData folder. Then delete your CAW caches, save the world and export again.

Thank you very much! That worked!
Test Subject
#65 Old 30th Jul 2011 at 10:56 PM
I tried the first method and everything worked fine. I was able to open a custom world in CAW, save it and load it into the game. I did this with two different worlds and got the same results. When I try to play the worlds I get lag. The Sims pause mid stride when they are walking and cars pause. The original worlds do not lag. Seems like there is a routing problem. Has anyone else had this problem?
Test Subject
#66 Old 31st Jul 2011 at 3:46 AM
Quote: Originally posted by richdre
I tried the first method and everything worked fine. I was able to open a custom world in CAW, save it and load it into the game. I did this with two different worlds and got the same results. When I try to play the worlds I get lag. The Sims pause mid stride when they are walking and cars pause. The original worlds do not lag. Seems like there is a routing problem. Has anyone else had this problem?

Richdre-when you do any editing in CAW, just before you save and export its always a good idea to rebuild routing data. To do this you click on view and its at the bottom of the list. If the problem is still occuring, then you may have to go in with the routing paint and check all the paints that were placed. This can be found in the terrain, routing option.
Test Subject
#67 Old 31st Jul 2011 at 12:15 PM
Thanks for the reply but I wasn't asking about lag in general. I would like to know if anyone is getting lag after using the conversion methods outlined in this thread.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#68 Old 31st Jul 2011 at 6:58 PM
Thanks for the reply but I wasn't asking about lag in general. I would like to know if anyone is getting lag after using the conversion methods outlined in this thread.

Just for the heck of it, do you still get the same lag if you do regenerate the routing data before exporting?
Lab Assistant
#69 Old 31st Jul 2011 at 8:28 PM
Have a problem getting Riverview. When I try to import Riverview.world S3PE gives me a error message.
Could not open package Riverworld.world. Expected magic tag 'DBPE'. Found 'DBPP'

Was using the first method like I did for Sunset Valley and the Riverview file in Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\InstalledWorlds\Riverview.world. It's the only Riverview world file I could find.
Test Subject
#70 Old 31st Jul 2011 at 8:46 PM Last edited by krow134 : 31st Jul 2011 at 8:49 PM. Reason: spelling error

Sorry I missunderstood your question. But to answer this question, No I have not gotten this lag.

However I have rebuilt the routing data. So this may be the reason.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#71 Old 31st Jul 2011 at 9:54 PM
grimsoul, you will need to fix the file with the recompressor, as S3PE will not open Riverview otherwise.
http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/s...ic,15129.0.html
Lab Assistant
#72 Old 31st Jul 2011 at 10:43 PM
Thank you simsample, That took care of it.
Forum Resident
#73 Old 3rd Aug 2011 at 10:05 AM
Is there a resource I need to replace, or delete to make the Wa Egypt world show up in game?

I opened the world up in Caw fine, opened in EIG fine, saved fine. Before starting the editing I want to do, I exported it to check and make sure that worked. I installed it, the message came up it installed successfully. The .world file shows up in the "Installed Worlds" folder. Here's the point of the post, the world does not show up in the list when starting a new game.

I thought there had been a thread discussing designating a world as a vacation spot, but for the life of me I can't find it. (could be because it's 2am here.)
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#74 Old 3rd Aug 2011 at 3:09 PM
Hey Lynds, you'd need to delete the WPID 0xF609FD60 (which identifies the world as being France) and also UNKN 0x296A6258 (which flags the world as a vacation world, as opposed to a suburb or city). Vacation worlds can't be selected through the main menu.

The thread you are remembering may be stw402's here:
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=421319

And this contains more info about UNKN 0x296A6258 and what you can do with it:
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=424374

I managed to accidentally set my world as a vacation spot in this post, I accessed it through a save and it told me there was no base camp!
http://www.modthesims.info/showpost...40&postcount=75

I hope this helps!
Forum Resident
#75 Old 4th Aug 2011 at 12:59 AM
Ah, thank you Simsample.

I knew I'd seen it, and read it, but couldn't find it.

That Simmer who's keeping all the links on the FAQ on the EA Caw forum is slacken off.

Need to whip her into shape.
Page 3 of 23