Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th May 2005 at 2:17 PM Last edited by Delphy : 16th May 2005 at 3:34 PM.
Default Site Changes and Updates
Hi All,

You may have noticed some changes to the site today. We hope they improve the usability of the site. They are:
  1. We've added the navigation/breadcrumb/welcome box to the front page, to make it consitent with the rest of the site.
  2. We've removed the Welcome box on the front page, since this information is duplicated in the Navigation bar
  3. We've removed the search box from the front page as it didn't make sense to have it in both places
  4. On posts that have attached files, the actual box for these has been renamed "Downloads" and moved to the top of the post. This will ease downloading for members not familiar with the forum layout
  5. We've renamed "Attached thumbnails" to "Screenshots"
  6. I fixed an error with some thumbnails not showing up (Specifically with bad characters like # in the name)
  7. Lastly, a big change. I've added a new page to the User Control Panel called Forum Subscriptions.

To better explain the last point, at the request of many people, and thanks to Inge Jones for the link to the hack that I modified, we've implemented functionality that lets YOU customise what you do and don't see both in the "Latest Forum Posts" on the front page and in the "New Posts".

How does the Forum Subscription system work?

When you have subscribed to specific forums (as opposed to subscribing to none at all), you will see ONLY the posts from those forums you have selected when you look in the "Latest Forum Posts" section of the front page, or in the "New Posts" section.

You can subscribe to a forum by either using the normal forum tools, or through the new Forum Subscriptions page.

Also, if you select a forum section, you will automatically subscribe to all the forums that are a part of that section as well. For example, if you subscribe to the Build Mode forum, you will also subscribe to the Building, and Building Requests sections, which are part of the Build Mode section itself.

You can also exclude forums that you feel you don't want to read from a section, simply by selecting ONLY the forums you want to see.

Please note that you *cannot* unsubscribe to any of the forums within the "Welcome to ModTheSims2" section. They are important forums and contain information for all users.

We hope you enjoy the changes, and you are all welcome to give feedback.

Regards,
Delphy

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 16th May 2005 at 2:21 PM
Bravo, a very useful and worthwhile effort of your part!
Forum Resident
#3 Old 16th May 2005 at 3:19 PM
The forum subscription is a good idea. Now we don't have to wade through dozens of posts that have absolutely nothing to do with what we're interested in to get to the ones we are.
Test Subject
#4 Old 16th May 2005 at 3:27 PM
Hi,

With regard to point 3, where is the other place?

Thankyou
Pibber
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#5 Old 16th May 2005 at 3:28 PM
Search is on the navbar, top right.
Test Subject
#6 Old 16th May 2005 at 3:42 PM Last edited by Pibber : 16th May 2005 at 4:20 PM. Reason: Issue resolved
Thanks, that just jumps the page up to put the nav bar at the top of the
page - it's a script thing isn't it!

We don't allow browsers to run scripts here - security policy overrides
usefulness once again.

The Forum Subscriptions is a great idea, keep up the good work

Cheers
Pibber

It's Ok - Issue resolved
Slacker of Immense Slackness
retired moderator
#7 Old 16th May 2005 at 4:15 PM
Of course you realise .... people will no longer be able to complain about seeing forums they don't want.....this will give them cause to find something else to complain about!! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!

I for one will be subbing to every forum except that SILLY anime one

<:3))~~ Loverat
"In some cultures what I do is considered normal"

www.loverat.net Check it out for other recolours & lot uploads =D
Forum Resident
#8 Old 16th May 2005 at 4:20 PM Last edited by eddief66 : 16th May 2005 at 4:25 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Loverat
Of course you realise .... people will no longer be able to complain about seeing forums they don't want.....this will give them cause to find something else to complain about!! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!

I for one will be subbing to every forum except that SILLY anime one

Now they'll complain about not having anything to complain about. :fight:

It says that we can't unsubscribe to the "Welcome to ModTheSims2" section, yet this thread didn't show in the new posts even though there were several new posts in it.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#9 Old 16th May 2005 at 6:06 PM
eddie, it should have done
Forum Resident
#10 Old 16th May 2005 at 6:42 PM
It did this time. Maybe I just missed before.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#11 Old 16th May 2005 at 7:16 PM
I was probably in the middle of fixing something
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#12 Old 16th May 2005 at 7:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Loverat

Fresh challenges - it's all part of life's rich tapestry :D

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#13 Old 16th May 2005 at 8:02 PM
Wow Delphy! That is one very smart forum subscription form
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#14 Old 16th May 2005 at 8:13 PM
I know, I wrote it myself :P
Test Subject
#15 Old 16th May 2005 at 8:57 PM
Thanks for fulfilling my request. It's working out great. :D
Mad Poster
#16 Old 16th May 2005 at 10:15 PM
I KNOW this is the wrong forum for what I am about to ask and I apologise but seeing as there are two administrators in this thread I thought I might actually get a response from one of them. Why can I not access the adult forums? I have always been able to before but now it has stopped. The box will NOT stay ticked when I save the changes! WHY?! Delphy, I PMed you about this but since I did't get a reply I can only hope it was because you didn't get it and not that you deleted it before reading. Please help and I promise I wont post in the wrong forums again.
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 16th May 2005 at 10:49 PM
Thank you so much Delphy for your effort !!I think It rocks and it's very useful :D
Administrator of Loverat's Tea and Underpants
#18 Old 16th May 2005 at 10:55 PM
Yay for the changes. And Inge, thanks for the link to the subscriptions hack. We really needed that.
Test Subject
#19 Old 16th May 2005 at 11:15 PM
Thanks!
Scholar
#20 Old 16th May 2005 at 11:18 PM
A wonderful site made even better. Thank you! Now to go explore all the new changes. You guys are great!

Teresa
Lab Assistant
#21 Old 16th May 2005 at 11:52 PM
Delphy, thanks for all you do and the same to all the mods... this is a great place!!
Instructor
#22 Old 17th May 2005 at 12:13 AM
woohoo i was one of the ones that requested the ability to choose which forums we do/dont see so I'm very happy Delphy and Inge made it possible :D
The changes are great.
Instructor
#23 Old 17th May 2005 at 5:15 AM
you know, i've never seen this option on any other message boards before. this is a neat idea, and it works fine.
retired moderator
#24 Old 17th May 2005 at 1:34 PM
What I would like to know is, what do the extra lines under the User avatar mean (i.e., Posts/Thanks
Administrator of Loverat's Tea and Underpants
#25 Old 17th May 2005 at 1:42 PM
Delphy's just added a "Thanks" feature to the downloads section. Now instead of making a new post just to say, "Thank you, this is great!" people can just click a button to add their name to a list of people to say thank you for the download. He just got it installed, it may not be finished but it is working. This should make it a lot easier to see important posts about a download like whether there's been a bug report because it won't been in the middle of 50 thank you posts.

So Posts = your total posts on the forums.
Thanks = how many times you've clicked the thanks button.
Thanked X times in X posts = how many times someone has clicked the button for your downloads, and in how many different threads.

I don't know if all those stats will be permanently displayed.
Page 1 of 3