Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Dec 2004 at 7:41 AM
Default Welcome to the new MTS2!
Hi All,

Hopefully you should all be seeing this new MTS2 site. Whats changed from the old one? Well, we are now running vBulletin 3.0.3 as the backend, which is a lot more powerful and efficient that the old e107 system.

All the forum posts, chatbox, downloads, faq entries are converted across. However, those of you who had avatars will have to upload them again.

We have a new system of uploads now too. Instead of uploading from a seperate screen, go to the download forum where you want to have you files, create a file and we'll see it in the moderation panel.

Unfortunately, it was not possible to convert polls or private messages across. Also, while the existing viewtopic links will still work (as do the old e107_files), none of the old scripts will.

I hope you like the new system - it should scale a *lot* better given the number of users.

Let me know if you have any comments.

Regards
Delphy
1 users say thanks for this. (Who?)
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 5th Dec 2004 at 8:42 AM
It looks to me that the new version is a lot faster then the old one.
#3 Old 5th Dec 2004 at 8:44 AM
i have a question...

say i submitted a house to you guys last night... will it still be posted?
do i need to upload it again?
Test Subject
#4 Old 5th Dec 2004 at 8:49 AM Last edited by blurred : 5th Dec 2004 at 8:52 AM.
I submitted a few things too, so I was also wondering if I was going to need to resubmit everything.

Edit: Thanks Delphy. From here on out we'll manage our own downloads then. Nice plan, no problems here.

Thanks, the new layout works better and faster. Love it!
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#5 Old 5th Dec 2004 at 8:51 AM
There's about 30 items still to go through on the old site - I'll get to them later today.
Test Subject
#6 Old 5th Dec 2004 at 8:57 AM
Hoi,

i don't like this new concept of an all in one Forum. No Avatar, No Download Statistic, No Votes. In the past it was only the betamod section like this, and i found it very unusefull, now it is the whole site.
If i come to the Site in the morning and look what's new, there come "hundreds" of new Threads and for me it's very difficult to know what's interesting and what not.
Sorry, no better News from my side. Maybe i'm a too old Geek to this "geekish" Site. ;-)
And again, i wish my english would be better.
Have a nice Sunday
TLupus

Radio Sunnydale:
Aly; i can't take my Eyes off You, in a virgin State of Mind :-(
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#7 Old 5th Dec 2004 at 9:03 AM
TLupus,

The same happened on the old site. When you log on you have hundreds of new posts to go through. Nothing has changed there.

Download statistics wont work for *current* and *old* downloads, but thats becuase they are not proper attachments as this forum knows. Once people start submitting new ones, it'll track downloads.

I don't know why you are complaining about the avatar - just set one yourself!

Thread ratings will get turned back on for certain forums once I edit the styles more.

Regards
Delphy
Test Subject
#8 Old 5th Dec 2004 at 9:06 AM
Delphy - a question about avatars. I always remote-link my avatars , and couldn't seem to find a way to do this. Will I actually have to upload my avatar to the site now?
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 5th Dec 2004 at 9:13 AM
I actually have no complaints. I really like the new look and how it's arranged. Now when I go into the downloads section I can actually see where there is new items and know what forums to check. I think it's great. Thank you.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#10 Old 5th Dec 2004 at 9:17 AM
nightspore, yes. vbulletin doesn't allow remote linking of avatars.

brgndyrose, thanks I like it myself - especially the speed!
Field Researcher
#11 Old 5th Dec 2004 at 9:27 AM
Quote:
nightspore, yes. vbulletin doesn't allow remote linking of avatars.

Are you sure about this? I'm a member of another forum using the same vbulletin version and I have my avatar and my sig remote linked there.

Its fun to be a Sadist.
*The Pain & Pleasure Principle*

Save the world and drown a politican today!

El diablo sabe mas por viejo que por diablo!
Test Subject
#12 Old 5th Dec 2004 at 10:19 AM
Love the new site. It's finally loading so fast that I can't take a nap anymore *lol* Really great
Banned
#13 Old 5th Dec 2004 at 10:28 AM
Nice site. But where's the "reply with quote"-button?
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#14 Old 5th Dec 2004 at 10:47 AM
Darkmoon, I checked on the official vbulletin forums and that was the word.

It might be a hack though.

Reply with quote is back but I personally can't stand it.
Field Researcher
#15 Old 5th Dec 2004 at 10:53 AM
Delphy.....come to think of it, you could be right. The webmaster on this site there is a programming genius. He did a lot of changes to the forum.

Question,....doesn't vbulletin also come with different background colors/themes?

Its fun to be a Sadist.
*The Pain & Pleasure Principle*

Save the world and drown a politican today!

El diablo sabe mas por viejo que por diablo!
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#16 Old 5th Dec 2004 at 11:00 AM
Darkmoon, I'm also a programming genius

vb3 only comes with one theme, you can either download the others or make them yourself.

I wanted something that was very similar to the old site, so no user selectable themes yet.
Slacker of Immense Slackness
retired moderator
#17 Old 5th Dec 2004 at 11:21 AM
Geez this sux - its too fast, it looks too good and its way to easy to navigate :mad:

No, seriously its great Delphy now we can mod at superspeed!
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 5th Dec 2004 at 11:29 AM
great work keep up the good work
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 5th Dec 2004 at 11:38 AM
I miss the old smiles.
They were sooo cute.

On the brighter side, I LOVE how much faster the site is now!

Thanks Bunches!
Test Subject
#20 Old 5th Dec 2004 at 1:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Delphy
The same happened on the old site. When you log on you have hundreds of new posts to go through. Nothing has changed there.

Hi Delphy,

the site is faster indeed and looks better, too, but still familiar.
It's a great update, thank you very (!) much.

But TLupus is right.
Clicking on the "new Items" brought a list that was some kind of sorted. Comments first, followed by chatbox and the forum posts.
I was able to scroll down (through >500 lines) to "general modding" and it took me one view to see if there are some replies to interesting threads or some new threads, usually at the beginning of the section.

That was the second best on this site. The best are still Aobhs polls and my first look usually goes to them.

Now I have to *search* >7 forum pages, instead of just "take a look".
That is a dramatic decrease of "comfort" since I have to *read* every Headline.

Anyway, you are doing a great job, running this site. Thanks again.

Gonmag
Test Subject
#21 Old 5th Dec 2004 at 3:05 PM
Thanks Delphy
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 5th Dec 2004 at 3:39 PM Last edited by hardonmachin : 5th Dec 2004 at 5:07 PM. Reason: addition
So far I like the new system... I am not missing any features yet I can imagine how much work that was to convert everything, and recreate what would not convert. You did a good job, delphy. Thank you.

It's much faster now... I the e107 was good, but apparently the software wasn't that good at handling such a large site :/

I guess I will be one of the first to upload with the new system, since my upload was declined (screenshot too small) . I tried resubmitting on the old system and recieved a critical error #6. But I doubt that will happen now and since then the site was too slow to try again.

The homepage says "powered by vbindex"... Not sure if you want to remove that or not... either way it doesn't really matter.... but normally people remove that type of thing.

I tried uploading the larger screenshot but it said it had to be below 97KB

did you do that ram upgrade while you did this? or is there more downtime ahead for that?

cool i'm a senior member
Forum Resident
#23 Old 5th Dec 2004 at 5:12 PM Last edited by Mutantbunny : 7th Dec 2004 at 11:29 PM.
Ok: I had to log in twice

Edit: My first reply showed up!

..other than that I love the speed and I really like that you left it 'familiar'.

Oh yes: on the front page of the downloads section I miss the number of downloads for each section column. I used that to detect quickly if there had been any new downloads. Also I miis the date an item for download was posted column. EDIT: download section is fine just took me awhile to ID everything there. I'm slow...

EDIT: I still can't seem to find "My Posts" anywhere. I really miss that function it was an easy way to track my threads....

EDIT: Yes I can: advanced search, user (searching on myself) brings up my posts.
PS: Delphy IS a programming genius.
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 5th Dec 2004 at 5:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Mutantbunny
Ok: I had to log in twice and then my first reply to the new site didn't post....other than that I love the speed and I really like that you left it 'familiar'.

I had that problem too. But I deleted the cookie from the old site and it fixed it.

Delphy: if you plan on adding more emoticons i suggest phrasing for :@ ( :mad: ) . ( ). And for new ones... :/ XD 8)
Lab Assistant
#25 Old 5th Dec 2004 at 9:22 PM
This is great! I also noticed we can put users on our ignore list! Yay! I've been waiting for that one. ^_^
Page 1 of 2