Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
#76 Old 6th Aug 2005 at 3:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by thesims2formeforu
Mike I am scratching my head as to how your floppy drive is crashing your computer. Your floppy drive should not be able to do that. You have a setting wrong somewhere. Floppy drives are pretty stable.

yep i scratched my head as well but the pc was just determined to check/use the floppy even though there was no disc in there. but disconecting it solved the problem. it had never caused a prob till then my pc has always had the same settings since i built it about a year ago so anything that changed it was not done by me.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#77 Old 6th Aug 2005 at 3:45 AM
Folks, I think my problem has been fixed. You all have been so helpful; thank you so much! A user by the name of Renatus Valentinus tuned me into XP's System Events viewer and this led me to discover that there were indeed two major problems: my graphics card was getting stuck in an infinite loop and couldn't get out of it, so I upgraded my graphics card control panel using a driver called Omega. Second, my stupid effing mouse driver wasn't installed! My poor mouse had been using some weird defunct driver for a waaaay old mouse. Here's hoping there aren't any more problems!

Thanks to you all again. You guys seriously rock for taking so much time to help me out. Good luck with all your simming!
Test Subject
#78 Old 7th Aug 2005 at 12:22 AM
So glad you were able to get it worked out. Computers can be tricky to work on and there are an infinite number of problems in each case. Luckily you were able to figure it out without the need of a hands on technician and with the help of a great community. Happy Simming!!
Lab Assistant
#79 Old 7th Aug 2005 at 12:32 AM
see told you it would be something staring you right in the face, or the palm of you hand, he he.

Wow this has been a fun adventure, i saw this problem right from the beggining, hope you dont have anymore problems, well done
Test Subject
#80 Old 7th Aug 2005 at 1:26 AM Last edited by pikchu : 7th Aug 2005 at 1:31 AM.
Try testing Direct3D to make sure it works. Click Start, Run..., type dxdiag, click on the Display tab, and click Test Direct3D. It will show you a bunch of floating cubes and ask if you can see them. If you can't see all the cubes, then you should check your cards. Oh, and one more thing, check all your drivers and make sure you have the latest version of DirectX. Hope this helps.

My Xbox 360 Gamertag: Lhasapso
Test Subject
#81 Old 7th Aug 2005 at 11:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mike190870
yep i scratched my head as well but the pc was just determined to check/use the floppy even though there was no disc in there. but disconecting it solved the problem. it had never caused a prob till then my pc has always had the same settings since i built it about a year ago so anything that changed it was not done by me.

Hey Mike, I too had a problem with my floppy drive once. The little green light on front of tower was staying lit at all times. After many hairs being pulled out and countless hours at looking inside tower, checking cable connections, rebooting, etc...I finally found that I had plugged the cable onto the floppy upside down (not the power one, the other). And this was after telling my sister that it wasn't possible to plug it in upside down. Boy did I feel like a big dork. If for any reason you had un-plugged it and plugged it back in, this could have happened. After I turned it right-side-up, it worked perfectly.

jstmel :o)

"The United States government is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion" - George Washington, Treaty of Tripoli, 1796
Page 4 of 4