Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#26 Old 10th Jun 2017 at 2:26 PM
My Sims dig for treasure on their lots, if they hit water, that's the well.
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#27 Old 10th Jun 2017 at 3:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Aysarth
My Sims dig for treasure on their lots, if they hit water, that's the well.

OH That makes so much sense. I should have thought of that myself. Cool idea.

for info on changing the Mac Open File Limit check out my post here http://www.insimenator.org/index.ph...html#msg1628939
Curiosity killed the cat,
but satisfaction brought it back.
Forum Resident
#28 Old 10th Jun 2017 at 5:56 PM
Aysarth:
I so enjoy reading about your families and their plight. Traveling to a new land, sleep deprivation, sleeping in shifts, toddlers and the firstborn infant in their new world.

I am fascinated by your imagination and game play:
bag of nails, tree trunk & mechanical skills qualifies them to own a bed.
Digging for treasure and hitting water equals a well.
I'd love to hear more!

I've used dice to decide character traits, but never to decide how many family members, their ages, gender, etc.
Can you explain how you use a die to create your families?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#29 Old 10th Jun 2017 at 7:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SIMelissa
Aysarth:
I so enjoy reading about your families and their plight. Traveling to a new land, sleep deprivation, sleeping in shifts, toddlers and the firstborn infant in their new world.

I am fascinated by your imagination and game play:
bag of nails, tree trunk & mechanical skills qualifies them to own a bed.
Digging for treasure and hitting water equals a well.
I'd love to hear more!

I've used dice to decide character traits, but never to decide how many family members, their ages, gender, etc.
Can you explain how you use a die to create your families?

Oh, its simple. For each family, roll a dice 1-6 for number of family members. Then for each family member, I rolled for age:
1 = toddler, 2 = child, 3 = teen, 4 and 5 = adult, 6 = elder (I seemed to get a lot of 1's and 6's). I also rolled again for gender, odds = male, evens = female.

Then I created the sims more or less accepting the random appearance and personality scores given by the game, just editing where I thought appropriate. I made the eldest generation for each family, then rolled the pacifier to get their offspring.

So the Asquiths for example, I made Albert and Hannah as adults, then rolled the pacifier to get their son. Then I aged them to elder and chose their outfits etc. I made a wife for the son and rolled the pacifier three more times to get the children, Betty, Bobby and Tom. I set up the relationships in CAS then moved the family into an empty lot to kill off the parents. That gave them the correct grandparent/grandchild relationship, together with the memory of Daddy's death.

You can see the effects of this in the Carroway children. Three have black hair but one has natural red hair, as their mother and grandmother had. All three black haired Carroway girls carry a recessive gene for red hair.

I was lucky not to get any "impossible" families, such as all toddlers. If I had, I would have moved them in with another family until they were old enough to cope alone. I always use some form of larger families mod, so that wouldn't be a problem.
Top Secret Researcher
#30 Old 11th Jun 2017 at 7:13 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Aysarth
Oh, its simple. For each family, roll a dice 1-6 for number of family members. Then for each family member, I rolled for age:
1 = toddler, 2 = child, 3 = teen, 4 and 5 = adult, 6 = elder (I seemed to get a lot of 1's and 6's). I also rolled again for gender, odds = male, evens = female.

Then I created the sims more or less accepting the random appearance and personality scores given by the game, just editing where I thought appropriate. I made the eldest generation for each family, then rolled the pacifier to get their offspring.

So the Asquiths for example, I made Albert and Hannah as adults, then rolled the pacifier to get their son. Then I aged them to elder and chose their outfits etc. I made a wife for the son and rolled the pacifier three more times to get the children, Betty, Bobby and Tom. I set up the relationships in CAS then moved the family into an empty lot to kill off the parents. That gave them the correct grandparent/grandchild relationship, together with the memory of Daddy's death.

You can see the effects of this in the Carroway children. Three have black hair but one has natural red hair, as their mother and grandmother had. All three black haired Carroway girls carry a recessive gene for red hair.

I was lucky not to get any "impossible" families, such as all toddlers. If I had, I would have moved them in with another family until they were old enough to cope alone. I always use some form of larger families mod, so that wouldn't be a problem.

Sounds like a cool use of random dice. Makes for good story lines

for info on changing the Mac Open File Limit check out my post here http://www.insimenator.org/index.ph...html#msg1628939
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#31 Old 12th Jun 2017 at 9:48 AM
Default Carroway Chaos
The Carroway's summer started the same way as spring, with two oldsters and a teenage girl running themselves ragged to keep up with three demanding toddlers. As they did not have a well, regular trips to Lone Lake were necessary and a bit of fishing was done, along with the water fetching.

I think Caro is showing her feelings quite well here.

Then, all of a sudden Ephraim died! I don't know why he died, his needs were no redder than anyone else's and he was no where near the end of his elder lifespan. Also, as you see, he died with a platinum aspiration! His grave was placed by the corner of the lot, as there is no community graveyard in New Lands for the moment. By the end of the summer, he had scared everyone in the family at least once, and made poor Caro wet herself.

Luckily, I had emptied his store of chopped logs shortly before, to start building the cabin.

The Carroway's first harvest was hardly wonderful, either.

Next, the family got a super-hot summer, with everybody passing out and needing to be revived all the time. Because of this, they missed the opportunity to sell to the people from the ship. So to sum up, the Carroway's have a dead family member with a vindictive ghost, almost no food, a half completed cabin and less cash (needed for taxes) than any other family.

At lest the triplets grew up OK. (Clarissa on the right).

Screenshots
Top Secret Researcher
#32 Old 12th Jun 2017 at 11:42 AM
Ah I am feeling sorry for the poor Carroway's family.

Maybe Mouring Ephraim might help?

Yes the triplets grew up OK. Looking good.

I quite enjoyed your update.

Forum Resident
#33 Old 15th Jun 2017 at 4:45 AM
I am so enjoying your Sims. I'm waiting to find out how the Carroways overcame their hardship -- provided they did not starve to death or die from exhaustion. The kids look good, in fact, the girls look downright happy.
Forum Resident
#34 Old 7th Jul 2017 at 9:18 PM
I'm loving this thread and looking forward to updates. I am excited about starting my own Pioneer game in the coming months.

So many things to learn; so few brain cells to process the info needed to learn things!
Shipwreck Island
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#35 Old 10th Jul 2017 at 11:29 AM
Thanks for your comments, SIMelissa. I have been side tracked recently on the competition and a creative project. I hope to get back to the Pioneers soon.

Page 2 of 2