Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#976 Old 5th Sep 2016 at 6:51 PM
Wow, you put a lot of love in their story :lovestruc
Advertisement
Instructor
#977 Old 25th Sep 2016 at 2:04 PM Last edited by Lady Scarlet : 25th Sep 2016 at 9:14 PM.
So, I back! I know, I know, I keep dissapearing without any trace and popping up months later and, as always, I come bearing gifts No new chapter this time (unfortunately), though I do have a new chapter written (I still have to prepare the pictures and that might take some time).
Right now... I'm here only to ramble and complain about fate. I've played a lot during this last week (after I've managed to make my game compatible with Windows 10 - I still miss my old Windows 7 ), I played through another rotation and I've already began the 13th (I think this is actually the first time I've played this much).

So, here's my ramble. I had a Crown Prince engaged to his niece (his sister's oldest daughter). There's quite an age gap between those two (the Crown Prince must be around 35 or so and his betrothed is only 12), but they do get along somehow (keep raising your eyebrows people, but if the Habsburgs did it for so many generations, I see no reason why I couldn't; there's the whole inbreeding problem, I know, but it's so much fun!). During this rotation I had them married (I had to rush things a little, because the Crown Prince's always been very sickly and I'm not sure he's gonna survive his next birthday). (Un)Fortunately, the girl got pregnant really quick (their second try) and she gave birth to a boy (yeeey, right?). Well, no. And here comes fate ...
These are her birth and vital statistics
The fact that she has a pelvimetry score of 1 actually makes sense, with her being so young and her pelvis not entirely developed, so I guess that was a lucky roll (I'm still thinking that as she ages, I should change her pelvimetry). Then, I rolled a breech birth and I think that makes sense too, because with the mother so young and her body underdeveloped, a complicated birth such as this one's got to have an impact on her THS. The Midwife Score is not great either, because in this kingdom, there's actually a law preventing women from practicing medicine (there are midwives, but the royal family has a doctor/surgeon/barber that has almost no idea what he should do [also, male doctors are forbidden to touch their female patients]), so he's got an average score. The birth outcome wasn't great, but hey! At least there's an heir, right? It may be room for a spare, but that could come with time, no need to risk the mother's health.
Time to roll for the baby's THS.
GREAT! Out of 100 possibilities, I get 4. And then a -5! No heir for me now.
The father is also suffering from consumption (pulmonary tuberculosis), so I have no idea how long he'll be around. I'm really sorry for the poor mother, but they've got to keep trying. Though with my luck lately, they'll get a couple of daughters (I've got quite a few families that have 4 or 5 daughters and no sons; not such a tragedy for farmers and merchants, but the royal family really has to have a male heir).

BTW, in my game I don't name babies that don't survive their first roll (I call them stillborns), I just assign them a number corresponding their order at birth (no need to baptize babies that never lived, right?). Actually, I find it too much of a bother to think of names for them too and that way I can keep track of a family's medical history (I'm thinking of introducing the whole genetic make up concept now that there are so many consanguineous marriages).

UPDATE #1 She is pregnant, people! On the 6th try! Keep your fingers crossed for a boy!
UPDATE #2 Aaaand... my game just crashed At least I managed to save it after she got pregnant.
UPDATE #3 It's a girl. Poor mother... I think she has only one last chance to give birth to a boy... These pregnancies&births are crippling her.

UPDATE #4 She got pregnant again on the second try. Too bad she has such a low THS otherwise she could be considered quite fertile (unlike her mother, who needed 4 or 5 years -> countless tries to get pregnant).
UPDATE #5 I guess there's one more daughter in the family (and with a THS of only 15, she's quite useless, so I guess I'll send her to a Convent later; or move her in with one of her aunts, to help them with their children). This birth went surprisingly well, so I guess there's still room for one more try. Maybe 4th time's the charm? I'll have to wait 'till next round to find out.

UPDATE #6 Do I need to mention how 'lucky' I've been today? So there was this sweet family. Farmers. Mother, father and their two daughters (already lost 3 children). Then the mother gets pregnant again. Everything's perfect until the night she has to give birth. She suffers a miscarriage. And her THS drops considerably. No sons and a THS of 38 (by the way, she's already 38 years old). Why is fate so cruel to my sims?
Inventor
#978 Old 27th Sep 2016 at 8:09 PM
Well, I've been working a lot on building my Warwickshire file, and I have a question regarding township sizes.

The rules say the following:
Quote:
For each residential neighborhood, roll a 6 sided die to determine the size of the township in that region.

Does this mean each subhood or each fief? I have two subhoods: one a duchy with a nested baronetcy, and one a duchy with a nested baronetcy and a nested county. Does this mean I have to roll twice (once for each subhood), three times (once per subhood and once for the main hood), five times (once per fief in the subhoods), or six times (once per fief in the subhoods and once for the main hood)? Right now, I have no idea which one it is. Thanks!

The Darkdusk Legacy has ended. Read the whole thing!
The Nightmagic Legacy has ended. Read the whole thing!
Last of Her Kind has ended thanks to a dead computer.
Instructor
#979 Old 27th Sep 2016 at 8:21 PM
Now this is what I call a good day!
The King's daughter got married to a newly created nobleman who already had three daughters (he was a widower). She got pregnant from the first try and she gave birth to a healthy baby boy! Now both mother and father can go on with their lives (I already have in mind a dashing young Marquis who will try to win her heart).
Test Subject
#980 Old 28th Sep 2016 at 1:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Lady Scarlet

...Now both mother and father can go on with their lives ...

You know you jinxed it now? I'm already waiting to hear of the deadly illness that struck our new prince :'), or even some space scrap.
Instructor
#981 Old 28th Sep 2016 at 7:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Wups
You know you jinxed it now? I'm already waiting to hear of the deadly illness that struck our new prince :'), or even some space scrap.

God, please no! I'm tired of death and suffering.
I just finished the rotation in this household and everybody's quite healthy. I sure hope they will remain so.
Test Subject
#982 Old 29th Sep 2016 at 9:54 AM Last edited by Yvi-sama : 1st Oct 2016 at 8:58 PM.
Speaking of rotten luck: I rolled a fresh baby a 7 (1/100) and the second roll (-25/25) was a -7!! Well, she was a transverse, which makes frightening sense

An entire Family died on me, except their toddler, who will now live a life of neglect in the orphanage... his parents loved him so much...

I also lost my dear Lizzy She was my starter-sim for this challange and the last years were the worst for any family-sim: Firstborn lost his wife and child in childbed, second son moved into another subhood, thirdborn got unhappily married and since both got along so terribly, Lizzy's husband forced both to join the monastry/convent for no less than 5 years (she now had two grandchildren she had never even met), afterwards the son ran away and hadn't heard from since. Then her Husband died... It was just one blow after the other And now she is gone...

All of this JUST THIS MORNING! I'm soooooooo done for today...

Edit: Do stillborns count as miscarriages?

EDit 2: What happends to sims with negativ RFPs/CFPs? Like more than -1000? A King would be declared insane, "normal" people, too? Is this status irrevocable or do they get "cured" and can reclaim their former titles (eg. as gentry estate-holder)?
Instructor
Original Poster
#983 Old 2nd Oct 2016 at 5:41 PM
So, I back!

Hi Lady Scarlet! So glad to hear from you!! I love your updates. I totally agree--enough death and mayhem for a loong time in your world. It's good to see that things aren't boring though. I look forward to hearing about what happens with the Lancastrian line. The whole fate's been cruel thing has happened toooo many times to me, especially with rolls that just don't go the way I'd wanted them to. I have a young noble in Westsea who just wed his wife, a princess from the Dusek house. She was a younger sister of the crown prince. Her THS was not very high before she got married--she was at 45, just fair. Then she married Lord Wesley, an average doctor. Watch out for those guys--they are scary bad for women. Well, anyway, she got married and her first birth was noneventful, actually no loss of THS. Then she had an age roll that lost her ten points, so she was at 35--considerably worse for a woman of childbearing age than a 45. She had a second baby, a girl, whom the happy couple named Aleida. Aleida's birth was a bit rougher than the first--Lady Amalia's strength just wasn't there. She lost another 9 points for the second birth, which wouldn't have been a huge deal for a healthy woman, but that put her to a 24 THS. Aaaand then, Lord Wesley took charge of his wife's care, because you know, he's a doctor. A few "treatments" later and she is in a coma ... and then dead at the age of 34. And baby Aleida? Her first roll was a 12, followed by a -18. Terrible. So he lost both his wife and daughter and is now raising his first child, Wesley IV, on his own. At least Wesley IV is in excellent health. But there are literally no other nobles for Wesley III to marry. Like none.

@Yvi-Sama. Wow, terrible woes--an entire family? Sounds like the plague ... what else could wreak such awful havoc? Or war, I guess ... but really makes me wonder what happened there. Sad for the little toddler, never to know his family. And Lizzy's story--so heart wrenching. I hate to say it, though, but it is that kind of drama that makes for a great story. My sims' lives are so real to me ...

@PS_Duckie: I think it really matters how many different nested fiefs you have in your subnh. It would just be so hard to have more than like two or three towns to a subnh--of course, if you wanted to, why not? Technically speaking, you would roll for each fief to determine the size of the town in that region, so if you have a nested fief, roll for the smallest one first and then on up to the largest fief in the region. If that means you need a ridiculous number of towns, I think it makes sense to leave it up to player discretion what makes sense for the world. It really comes down to world creation at that point--and what you want to do.

@Yvi-Sama:
stillborns are not miscarriages, no--but both require a birth record

low CFP is handled on pp. 130-131 of the latest edition--insanity is certainly a possibility there, but not for low RFP, which is handled on p. 115. Low RFP is left entirely up to the player to decide what happens when someone, even the King, falls out of favor. And yes, anyone could be declared insane and then .... ? ... put into an institution, hung, locked in a dark room .... who knows? Low CFP does not result in a loss of title. You could be as mad as a hatter and still have your title intact. Low RFP is entirely different--that probably would result in some sort of loss of title or fief or whatever ... but that is up to the player to decide.

It's "easy" to get "cured"--just raise the CFP or RFP. There are lots of ways to do this. See pp. 127-129 for the CFP. and for RFP, it's a matter of doing behaviors that raise it--or inheriting the points from a father or mother who earned them for you.
Inventor
#984 Old 2nd Oct 2016 at 7:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by M3g7e
I think it really matters how many different nested fiefs you have in your subnh. It would just be so hard to have more than like two or three towns to a subnh--of course, if you wanted to, why not? Technically speaking, you would roll for each fief to determine the size of the town in that region, so if you have a nested fief, roll for the smallest one first and then on up to the largest fief in the region. If that means you need a ridiculous number of towns, I think it makes sense to leave it up to player discretion what makes sense for the world. It really comes down to world creation at that point--and what you want to do.

None of the fiefs are nested more than two deep. The subhood with two fiefs obviously has the baronetcy directly under the duchy, and the subhood with three has both the baronetcy and the county directly under the duchy. So is what you're saying that I make towns for all five of those? What about the main hood? I'm still really confused here.

Instructor
Original Poster
#985 Old 2nd Oct 2016 at 8:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by PSDuckie
None of the fiefs are nested more than two deep. The subhood with two fiefs obviously has the baronetcy directly under the duchy, and the subhood with three has both the baronetcy and the county directly under the duchy. So is what you're saying that I make towns for all five of those? What about the main hood? I'm still really confused here.

From what you're saying here, yes, there would be five towns. But ... if you think five is too many, then you can just cut however many you don't really want. And the main hood would work the same way ... just roll for however many fiefs you have there and make a decision as to what works best for you.
Inventor
#986 Old 21st Oct 2016 at 1:46 AM Last edited by PSDuckie : 21st Oct 2016 at 9:41 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by M3g7e
From what you're saying here, yes, there would be five towns. But ... if you think five is too many, then you can just cut however many you don't really want. And the main hood would work the same way ... just roll for however many fiefs you have there and make a decision as to what works best for you.

Well, I rolled the size of the five towns in the subhoods. I decided that (at least for now) the main hood is entirely under the control of the king, and will not be considered a town.

Now to finish building everything...

EDIT: While rolling for one of the duchies, I ended up in a situation where I needed to create a Lord Chancellor. Am I correct in thinking that the Lord Chancellor has a temporary Rank 14?

Instructor
Original Poster
#987 Old 22nd Oct 2016 at 7:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by PSDuckie
Well, I rolled the size of the five towns in the subhoods. I decided that (at least for now) the main hood is entirely under the control of the king, and will not be considered a town.

Now to finish building everything...

EDIT: While rolling for one of the duchies, I ended up in a situation where I needed to create a Lord Chancellor. Am I correct in thinking that the Lord Chancellor has a temporary Rank 14?

Yes, sounds right to me.
Instructor
#988 Old 2nd Dec 2016 at 1:52 PM Last edited by Lady Scarlet : 2nd Dec 2016 at 6:48 PM.
Remember poor Princess Mathilde Lancaster from before? The one who had a stillborn son, then gave borth to two daughters? Well, she got pregnant again at 17 (first try, actually) and guess what?

EDIT #1 Finally! An heir! Quite healthy too!
Instructor
Original Poster
#989 Old 7th Dec 2016 at 11:13 PM
Wow. I'm surprised her scores turned out as well as they did considering her morphology score being a 1 and not even a midwife score on the first birth
Glad to hear you've got a healthy heir!!! What is her THS right now? On last rotation, I had five women die in childbirth. So sad.
Instructor
#990 Old 8th Dec 2016 at 7:31 PM
Mother's THS is currently 16. It's not great and I'm really scared that another birth might kill her (I keep trying to keep her from getting pregnant again). She may not survive aging up, but that won't come for a couple more rotations. The Crown Prince is not healthy either, but at least there's a healthy heir now. And the King is atill alive too. I can't decide what to do if the Princess dies... I could find another wife for the Crown Prince, but I don't really see a reason to do so. The Crown Prince is sick, he probably won't live long enough to be crowned King (I'm pretty sure his father will outlive him), but he already has a son who will live long enough to marry and have heirs too. And there really aren't many young girls suitable to marry him... He would have to marry another one of his nieces...
Meanwhile I have another family without an heir. The Reverend and his wife have two surviving daughters but no son. The wife is still pretty young so there's still time to try for a son, but who knows? They might end up with another girl and that will only complicate things more (they're already working a lot to earn enough money to educate their two daughters and prepare dowries). One of the girls isn't exactly a pleasure to look at, so she might have to become a nun, but that would still mean her parents would have to pay for her to be accepted in a convent. And now I have to look for a husband for the other daughter. I'm thinking about making her a midwife and marrying her to a Preacher.
Test Subject
#991 Old 10th Dec 2016 at 10:02 AM
but he already has a son who will live long enough to marry and have heirs too.
That beeing said, you are soooooo asking for it

My own king is even less happy than yours... With his dead heir, an infurtile wife in selfimposed exile in a convent (fearing rightfully for her life at court), a stillborn barstard-son and his beloved courtisan (the boy's mother) just having commited suicide, he can only look with resentment to his brother's family. While he only has a single daughter, his little brother has 4(!!) exeptionally healthy sons, a daughter and a wife who suffered close to no injuries from the births! And the two are still very much in love :lovestruc

Did I mention he is not the sanest person? ;-)
Scholar
#992 Old 10th Dec 2016 at 5:38 PM Last edited by Florentzina : 10th Dec 2016 at 5:53 PM.
I already playing a medeival hood that inspired by various challenges on here (different aspects of TOT, BACC, RKC mainly), but intruiged to add the roll/consquences stuff from this challenge as an additional gameplay (not as a "challenge" coz normally I play with instinct but sometimes find it difficult to make decisions for my sims. As I play with own social class structure, it was similare to the "stations" of this one, Although I use 10 for mine, its seems easy to adapt them.

But there are two aspects I didn't quiet understand.

The random odds.
For example, if you have a elder sim who is 53 years, and the odds were 12/20 (which is 65%), what do you usually add in a randomizer website? Normally I random 6 number intergers (which is basically 15% each), where my sim would die from a plauge if rolling 6. But 65%? Does the rule mean a 100 intergers with either the last 66-100 resulting in death? (or whatever you are rolling)

Also, whats THS?
Although, I've scroll down the 85 pages quickly to get an overall idea of the challenge (perhaps didn't saw it or perhaps its an additional thing simmers added, I dunno. New to this one ), but I don't quiet understand this part that were mentioned in the posts above. I saw RFP and CFP in aspiration charts, but no THS? How does randomize and calcuate one health works?

Usually I just roll for each pregnancy, 1-6 where even number (2,4,6) results in childbirth and 1,3,5 being succesful (50% chance either direction) and then 1-5 for singles and 6 for twins, and play with a 24 hour pregnancy hack, but find this kill off the pregnant women way too quickly. In one my slave/servant ("Serf") families consist of 3 couples plus another girl, all four died from chilbirth (where one had twins).
Test Subject
#993 Old 10th Dec 2016 at 8:01 PM
Hi there :-)

Quote: Originally posted by Florentzina
The random odds.
For example, if you have a elder sim who is 53 years, and the odds were 12/20 (which is 65%), what do you usually add in a randomizer website? Normally I random 6 number intergers (which is basically 15% each), where my sim would die from a plauge if rolling 6. But 65%? Does the rule mean a 100 intergers with either the last 66-100 resulting in death? (or whatever you are rolling)

12/20 means you roll 1-20 and the roll succeeds if you roll a number between 1 and 12.

Also, whats THS?
Although, I've scroll down the 85 pages quickly to get an overall idea of the challenge (perhaps didn't saw it or perhaps its an additional thing simmers added, I dunno. New to this one ), but I don't quiet understand this part that were mentioned in the posts above. I saw RFP and CFP in aspiration charts, but no THS? How does randomize and calcuate one health works?

THS is the TotalHealthScore, more or less the "Hitpoints" your sim has before he is dead. Diseases, aging, childbirth and accidents lower them and healers, doctors or aging can get them up again.

Usually I just roll for each pregnancy, 1-6 where even number (2,4,6) results in childbirth and 1,3,5 being succesful (50% chance either direction) and then 1-5 for singles and 6 for twins, and play with a 24 hour pregnancy hack, but find this kill off the pregnant women way too quickly. In one my slave/servant ("Serf") families consist of 3 couples plus another girl, all four died from chilbirth (where one had twins).

In this challange, you roll 1-3 to determine the pregnancy-length in days (or sim-years) and then roll the birth-injuries a woman needs to lose from her THS. The miscarriage-hack is very important, because two or three miscarriages mean she is no longer able to concieve.

Alltogether, it sounds, like you didn't read the newest version. And consider: this challange is a lot of paperwork, because you need to keep track of health, behaviour-earned points, education-points, taxes, income, etc. I have three big folders for my hood for only this challenge.

It is still fun, but very overwelming, if you start with all the rules at once (I've been more or less playing for 2-3 years and have not even started with taxes yet )
Scholar
#994 Old 10th Dec 2016 at 8:29 PM Last edited by Florentzina : 11th Dec 2016 at 8:09 PM.
I think I read 2.0, the PDF. Started to the read the thread a few days ago.
EDIT: Found 3.0 and THS, no wonder I feeled a bit lost.

But still, I always tryied to figure out the odds as using the dice feels a bit limited. Also, I only like to get inspiration from challenge so I don't follow everything. My hood is a custom "hand plocked" type.
From the BACC, I use the career and SM to calcuate the amount cas and lots I plan to have, RKC for the social class which Ive been tweaking to my own taste but like the TOT Rules for the medieval groups more. The only gameplay aspect I found missing were the randomness, but wanted to understood the way they work as I wrote, Im more familiare with using the dice method, not percentage. The miscarriage part for each semester I won't follow as I like my own 24hour pregnancy for it, but a 3 year long pregnancy doesn't make sense to me (use 1day=1year lifespan I made myself which is almost indentical to the age charts in the pdf). :P

Its much to read, but I don't consider it overwhelming as I use alot of structure and spreedsheets for my simmies. Like Ive develope my own tax system (simplied) where each class/station is payed a specific amount daily with monique payeer bill.

EDIT (to avoid double posting) Long post.
While playing around with the THS, Idecided to modify the child birth outcomes to a more simple version, coz it was too many rolls for my taste. Each social class groups devided as High (nobles/royals), Middle (merchants/gentry/bourgeoise) and Low (peasant/outlaws/serf) has invidual birth outcomes, where the higher rank you sims has, the lower the effecy (the substracted THS). For royals and nobles I decided to use 0-20 (good to poor) and got rather interesting results.

Testing it out on my royal and noble families (13 couples in total, the crown prince has two mistress), played 9 of them, and around 50 sims with the born-in-game kids played , I had four death so far: The crown prince (Will Worcester) first child who was suppose to be the heir rolled like 5 THS , along with a future noble heir from a duke family rolled 15 and then -18, . This duke (Basil Barlow)'s wife Alexandra died from childbirth after giving birth to two daughter Alice and Aurora, Alice THS is terrible. The third royal son, the grand duke, Winston's wife (Rosette) also died from childbirth after giving birth two relatively healthy girls.

Even though, I use fewer rolls and randomize the cas founders THS, removing the birth statistics didnt made it harder/easie, but works better for me as I deal with more famileis than simmer usually start with (51 couples from all classes ) Still, I must say I LOVE the THS system. It make it more relastic than rolling 50/50 change for each pregnancy (a RKC suggestion). Way too many death. Now, I just gotta figure out the storyline for the two couple who lost the wife without having an heir. As I play with modified BACC (Build-A-City-Challenge) rules as well, my gene pool is more limited. I cannot add any new cas until Ive earned back the 100 bacc cas points (did that bacc rule sort of backwards as I don't play with townies) by having community lots and districts.

Currently thats the only Warwickshire rule I've been playing around with so far, as well as giving each family new titles/stations based on my previous plan with the hood. I restarted it to try this challenge out (a back up where Ive only added the cas, so it's easy to restart it). But as I try to understand the other aspects, I will look at the others as well. Mortality/Birth rate was a thing that I feel missed in my hood before.
Instructor
Original Poster
#995 Old 18th Dec 2016 at 10:03 PM
Hi, Florentzina,
It's always interesting to see new faces on the forums and hear about your experiences with Warwickshire. I see that you are combining quite a few different challenges for a very personalized game--very involved and interesting. Since each one has such a different underlying philosophy (i.e. legacy building or rules limiting, etc), it might be interesting to try some of the ways that Warwickshire handles the current issues you're talking about here--all of which are covered in the challenge somewhere. The THS system and birth rolls are really one very limited aspect of the total game. As others have said here already, it is a lot to take in and certainly no reason to feel rushed with anything, but feel free to ask questions and share ideas: I'm always interested in how Warwickshire is being used. ((As everyone here knows already, this thing has kinda taken over my life, and I doubt that I'll ever be finished writing it ... but that's another story for another day.))

@Lady Scarlet--I realized shortly after posting earlier that your Princess was in perilously bad health. With end of semester grading and the general crush of finals and such, I haven't had a chance to visit the forums again since then. I totally understand your plight there--it is awful to think of losing her and I know that chances would be slim for the Prince to remarry. I have a Duke in the same situation--one infant son, dead wife (who actually was a lesser princess of the royal house of Westsea). He lives with his aging mother and the infant. There is no one for him to marry, and really he probably wouldn't remarry. But it is going to make playing that huge estate rather dull.

@Yvi-Sama, I love love love the scandal and the intrigue. Wow. What a story. (I dare say it's what Warwickshire was made for!)

On a wider note, I have been doing a bit of statistics nh-wide and have discovered some interesting things--I don't actually have nearly as many babies die in infancy as I thought that I did (and really, I **don't** fudge the numbers and save babies. There are literally just too many born to do that, so these numbers are very accurate in terms of the random rolls done over the past 50 game years.) The total number of births counted here was 838.

11% of births result in an infant in distress (i.e. terrible or comatose THS): this would be the initial 1-100 roll, plus the first -25 to +25 roll
Of those births, 9% die in infancy (at their first -20 to +20 roll)
44% remain in comatose or terrible health
42% improve to poor or fair health
and 4% were plead for and saved from death

An infant with a THS of poor or worse had only a 2% (4/197) chance of dying as a toddler; an infant with a THS of terrible or comatose had a 5% chance of dying as a toddler (5/74).

Age at death (out of 838 births):
Infant: 10
Toddler: 7 (all of these were in terrible or comatose health, except 1 in poor)
Child: 13 (only two of these were in better than poor health as infants)
Adolescence: 10 (nearly all due to disease of some kind, i.e. smallpox, apoplexy being the prime causes)

Not sure if all this means that the system is too lenient ... or if it just means that the random is kind. I always feel like I have a lot of babies on the brink of death, but I actually don't have that many really die. What is kinda annoying is that 19% of toddlers are are in poor or worse health, so nearly 1/5 cannot learn all of their toddler skills. Of those toddlers, 9% go on to be in good or superior health (none in excellent health) in their teen years. 22% of them remain in poor health straight through their teen years. So even though they don't all die, a lot of them have weak constitutions that make them a burden to their families and make it difficult for them to get an education or pursue a career.

I could go on for ages about this silly stuff. It fascinates me to no end. But I'll stop here.
Test Subject
#996 Old 19th Dec 2016 at 6:54 PM
I just re-organized my NH, so that I split a huge mainhood into 4 subhoods (the asset-tax was just too high )

Yes, the drama :lovestruc I love it!

Wow, more than 800 births in 50 years Respect! I also noticed that I lose less children than in the older version.

But I have soooooo many Sims in terrible health, that I started to roll each day to substract 1-3 health point(s). I work in the health-care-systhem and there are just so many things threatening a comatose patient (breathing in fluids, water in the lungs, pneumonia, bladder infections, etc)

What I'm kind of missing is a chart for babies' survival-rate without a wetnurse (in correspondence to the THS)
Scholar
#997 Old 20th Dec 2016 at 8:29 AM Last edited by Florentzina : 20th Dec 2016 at 9:11 PM.
M3g7e
Well, the first time I saw this challenge, I thought it was one of those restricted challenges aimed for advanced users.
Over the last few days, Ive been reading more and more of the 2.5 versions rules/playstyles but still a long way to go to grasp all of it and there are many rules, particulare the rolls Im omitting (such the risk factors of diseases. The THS along with the chart and simplied birth rolls was enough for me to simulate my sims health! the majority of the born in game sims has an average TSH of 35-45. When they are ready to marry and have kids, the females would drop dead quiet constantly. Out of my 50 couples, at least 15 of the females has died from childbirth or illness ).

There was one area about plot sizes I didn't understand, the Fief . I assigned a station for each cas couple and adjusted the funds/businesses/relations to suit it along with removing the corresponding titled sims funds (the title fee). I also tax their total net funds (neighborhood view) annually (every 20 days). But as I play with BACC, I prefer all of my founders living in the MAIN hood for the time being and plan to have the the dukes living there as in well instead of subhood. I also plan to form alliance between several of them.

The question
For each titled sim (baron, marquis etc) do I need each of them have the number of plot size EACH, when I combine several nobles into one superior lord?
I.e. If I want my marquis to be the Fief lord to several smaller fief, like for example baron an earl (Country) and a Barony, Would I need 1000 total plot square, or just the 500-ish and tax the other two, living on the marquis fief? (perhaps this is silly, but do you even need to use the entire fief anyways? )

My hood has about 9 titled nobles and 3 titled gentry (Baronet and Knights) families in total, so having each family own the fief, it would be quiet a HUGE hood, wouldnt it? ;-) Currently with my 50-ish families, my total plot size worth are around 400 in plot size and a City in township size (excluding community lots), but I prefer to not exceed much more than amount of households. Having a personal playstyle, I plan have my spare royal sons and dukes to be in charge of all of the taxes as I dont play with shopping districts, but a bit lost with how to calcuate the total Fief plot size for the other families.
Instructor
Original Poster
#998 Old 20th Dec 2016 at 6:03 PM Last edited by M3g7e : 20th Dec 2016 at 7:24 PM.
Quick News! Happy Holidays Gift 2016 is available HERE !! Enjoy everybody. This mini expansion aims at reworking the entire royal appointment system. It is only the beginning. What you have in the gift is the process for making royal appointments, and a fully reworked set of titles and positions for the Ministry of Agriculture. Enjoy!!

Hi, Florentzina,

This is a common question, so no worries! Your Marquis may control a fief of up to 500 plot squares, inside which may be any configuration of smaller fiefs that "nest" together. There is no need for every plot square of the march to be assigned to a smaller fief, some may just be controlled by the Marquis and no other lesser lord. For example:

March I: 500 plot squares (note: this is just a max size--a March may be anywhere from 351-500 plot squares--see p. 8)
------------County A: 350 plot squares
------------Barony B: 150 plot squares

350+150=500 so all works there: that would seem to be the most the March could contain--but not so! Those smaller fiefs can also contain even smaller fiefs inside them.

March I: 500 plot squares (note: this is just a max size--a March may be anywhere from 351-500 plot squares--see p. 8)
--------------County A: 350 plot squares
----------------------------Barony A1: 150 plot squares
----------------------------Barony A2: 150 plot squares
---------------County lands unassigned: 50 plot squares (these may be apportioned out to gentry class if you wish, i.e. a baronet or knight, or whatever--but no need)
---------------Barony B: 150 plot squares
---------------------------No smaller fiefs contained (but you could have them ... if you want them ....)

And even Barony A1 could have smaller fiefs nested inside again:

----------------Barony A1: 150 plot squares
-------------------------------Baronet A1.1: 100 plot squares
-------------------------------Shire A1.2: 50 plot squares

And of course that Shire could even have a Gentleman inside it ... (up to 30 plot squares)

There is, as I mentioned above, no need to "use" up every plot square of a larger fief. Any lands inside a large fief that are not apportioned as smaller fiefs will simply be controlled by the fiefholder of the larger fief and be part of the duchy, march, county, whatever that fief is called.

Hope this helps!
Test Subject
#999 Old 21st Dec 2016 at 7:54 PM
Good day (or night =P)! I return from obscurity with a question. When a woman discovers her husband to be having an affair, what concrete steps might she take?

Context: My baronet has been having an affair with a deceased knight's wife, so she has no romantic attachment (which is probably the reason the affair existed - ACR decided she was lonely xD; ). Practically the whole Court knows this affair has been going on, and there have been rumors that she's involved in a similar scandal with a widower duke. Somehow, the baronet has managed to hide the affair from his wife for years, but she finally saw them flirting and was understandably upset. With the social system skewed in favor of men as it is, is there nothing she can do? Does she just have to accept that her husband cheated on her? (Also, all Sims mentioned here are extremely good Sims on the alignment scale. Paying taxes and tithes and so forth have canceled out the negative impacts of cheating. xD)

PS - Thank you so much for this updated Royal Appointments pack; I'm about to start reading now! I've so far been playing without them because I can't see their use aside from adding to the refrigerators of my royal family - and they already have way more fish than they know what to do with. xD; I look forward to learning how my Simmies can use them. x3

My Sims 2 Test of Time Challenge Blog - Here - Updated 6-10-2015
Instructor
Original Poster
#1000 Old 22nd Dec 2016 at 3:48 PM
Hello faerie6099, what a wonderful question. I'm sure that there are many things she could do, but these would need to be surreptitious or conniving. Unfortunately, she has very little legal recourse. Other than the loss of CFP and RFP that he will suffer due to her discovery of the affair, not much else will happen. She will be yet another woman whose husband has strayed. Alas.

Now then. There are other ways to fight. For example, does the deceased knight's wife have brothers? sons? uncles? Are they aware of how much this scandal is hurting her reputation? You get the picture--one of them could be ahem persuaded to bring charges against the woman's husband. This might be a problem for her, too, though if she has sons of her own to protect (one of the potential outcomes is family disgrace, so it might cause trouble seeking new titles for a generation). Yikes. Aside from that, she may not want to be banished from court ... so the royal humiliation could also be kinda bad. She could potentially sue her husband for abandonment of family (see version 3.5 pp. 151-152). But that could have side effects too. For one, it might not work if the only grievance is the affair. Also, does she really want her husband in jail ...?

If she does ... she might frame him for another crime. Or she could arrange an inconvenient accident for him. Or for the beloved. But now that does depend on her own ethical and moral alignment and whether she would get up to such shenanigans or not.

If she's good and sweet and kind and has little ones of her own, it would be best she eat her breakfast alone until her heart heals.

You're very welcome for the new royal appointments. I am very interested in hearing your experiences with them.
Page 40 of 44