Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
#351 Old 23rd Jul 2018 at 2:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by iCad
Someone after my own heart! I can't stand BodyShop (which I call "BS" for a reason!). Like, I don't even use it to recolor hair, aside from very briefly to make an appropriate number of "dummy" recolor packages for a given hair. Other than that, I do all the real work in SimPE just to avoid screwing around with BS's system. Ugh, ugh, ugh!

It's legit taken me two days to figure out the BS way ( ) of simply duplicating a clothing recolour. There it was showing me a copy of the package under Projects when all along the real copy (the one that actually gets used by the game) is stored under SavedSims. And thank God for SimPE if you're a GIMP user because the BMP export borks the colours (and that single setting that does work apparently doesn't support transparency which I needed for socks ).

"It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
Truth will not fear scrutiny.
Advertisement
Undead Molten Llama
#352 Old 23rd Jul 2018 at 3:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Bubblebeam
It's legit taken me two days to figure out the BS way ( ) of simply duplicating a clothing recolour. There it was showing me a copy of the package under Projects when all along the real copy (the one that actually gets used by the game) is stored under SavedSims. And thank God for SimPE if you're a GIMP user because the BMP export borks the colours (and that single setting that does work apparently doesn't support transparency which I needed for socks ).

You ought to try the DDS method of recoloring stuff. Works for everything, not just CAS stuff. Here's a tutorial for hair that Poppet did for hair: http://poppet-sims.tumblr.com/dds The process is pretty much the same for all objects, CAS, build/buy, whatever. Poppet's tute uses Photoshop, but there's a DDS plug-in for GIMP, and I imagine the process for recoloring using DDs files in GIMP would be similar. Then, you wouldn't have to worry about the BMP issue. Using DDS files, the only thing I have to do in BodyShop is make the initial recolor files. I look at the results of what I do in-game rather than "previewing" in BS, which takes a little longer -- but not much, since a no-other-CC game will load in less than a minute -- because IMO, things look utterly crappy in BS, so loading up the game is better for previewing.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Mad Poster
#353 Old 23rd Jul 2018 at 3:31 PM Last edited by SneakyWingPhoenix : 23rd Jul 2018 at 3:56 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by complexion
Having a with/warlock is hard considering for EVERY spell you have to make a reagent, sims 3 did it better in my opinion

Totally about it. Certain powers (especially the weaker ones, like the one that evaporates puddle) could have used no regeants instead have a smaller cooldown implemented to balance things out. I used to use a mod that eliminates the requirement of having to use those mystical items for spells to use, but that makes witches even more overpowered with no weakness/limitations. I can only hope I won't have to use it again because I think having an entrepreneur witch that sells her own-made reagents to other people of her kind wouldn't be that hard, but would turn out to be fun.

The No Stupid Reagents mod: http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=299368

I don't play with witches much because they are, frankly, underwhelming. (In my unpopular opinion, maybe. ) But when I do have one, I certainly don't want to spend hours making reagents just so they can cast one or two spells. :P

Care to elaborate on your opinion? I know I have seen you saying it somewhere, but I can't remember. Though in my defense, witches are better than nothing, and by nothing I mean other life states, because funny enough I find them the least underwhelming than werewolves, vampires, plantsims and zombies (and maybe even bigfoots from what I read on the article, as I have never played them). They add much more impact to the gameplay than the rest of the occult that does nothing more than stand pretty and look cosmetically intriguing. I would have say this is unpopular of mine, but really it's hardly subjective.
The No Stupid Reagents mod: http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=299368

I don't play with witches much because they are, frankly, underwhelming. (In my unpopular opinion, maybe. ) But when I do have one, I certainly don't want to spend hours making reagents just so they can cast one or two spells. :P

Care to elaborate on your opinion? I know I have seen you saying it somewhere, but I can't remember. Though in my defense, witches are better than nothing, and by nothing I mean other life states, because funny enough I find them the least underwhelming than werewolves, vampires, plantsims and zombies (and maybe even bigfoots from what I read on the article, as I have never played them). They add much more impact to the gameplay than the rest of the occult that does nothing more than stand pretty and look cosmetically intriguing. I would have say this is unpopular of mine, but really that hardly can be argued.

Tempus interrupts spell disappoints me a bit. I wish the duration could be longer, though good thing there is a that solves that. What disappoints me is that whenever I used it doesn't simply put sims to pause without making them frantically... *vocabulary fart* aaaeeehh... startled or whatever. Kinda ruins the spell's aesthetic, which is a bit ironic to hear me complaining of what lacks a presence on a contraty when I was ranting about how there is a presence in another fantasy form.... Lol anyway, though the spell has a share of benefits so it makes up for it.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Undead Molten Llama
#354 Old 23rd Jul 2018 at 4:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
Care to elaborate on your opinion? I know I have seen you saying it somewhere, but I can't remember. Though in my defense, witches are better than nothing, and by nothing I mean other life states, because funny enough I find them the least underwhelming than werewolves, vampires, plantsims and zombies (and maybe even bigfoots from what I read on the article, as I have never played them). They add much more impact to the gameplay than the rest of the occult that does nothing more than stand pretty and look cosmetically intriguing. I would have say this is unpopular of mine, but really it's hardly subjective.

Honestly, for ALL of the supernaturals, there isn't much to them in terms of what EA gave us. Basically, they each have some special abilities that "normal" Sims don't have, and that's not really all that exciting, objectively speaking. For instance, werewolves can fight burglars...but then burglars only come at night when the household is all asleep and since werewolves don't generally sleep at night, you're not likely to have a burglar in a household with a werewolf present.

That said, I think that whether or not a person will find a type of supernatural interesting is pretty much dependent on the person. For instance, I like the vampires because I've always been interested in vampire lore. BUT! The way EA implemented them is...weird and, to me, annoying. Like, they can survive by eating food rather than drinking blood, which goes against the lore. Unmodded, vampires are pretty much just normal, albeit immortal, Sims with an inverted sleep schedule who can turn other Sims into the same thing. So, I have sought out and installed several mods that make vampires more like I think they should be, and I also have different rules for playing them, which make them more interesting to me. I went to that effort because I like "real" vampires. (Meaning, I like the lore; I know vampires aren't real. )

OTOH, I'm really not interested in witchcraft lore at all, so I'm not really interested in modding the witches and, as they are, there's nothing to them UNLESS you go about having them study/cast spells, which they won't do autonomously, and I'm not often moved to command them to do so. (Although one of these days I'll see if I can make learning spells, at least, autonomous by tweaking their spellbook thingy. Haven't gotten around to it yet.) Therefore, witches are "underwhelming" to me. However, someone who's really into witchcraft lore -- and I imagine people who are into Harry Potter (which I'm not) might REALLY like the idea of witchcraft in their game -- might be far more interested in playing/modding them. So in the end, it's a matter of a player's interests and then the effort they go to to make a supernatural state worthwhile because, as they are in an unmodded game, really none of them are all that objectively exciting.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Mad Poster
#355 Old 23rd Jul 2018 at 4:10 PM
Though I had more in mind with the vanilla setting. I think it has more to do with the implementation rather than the interest, because you said you don't play witches and wouldn't probably play vampires If it hadn't been for the moods.

Undead Molten Llama
#356 Old 23rd Jul 2018 at 4:21 PM
No, I would actually still play vampires without mods, precisely because I AM interested in vampires. Heck, even if EA had never made vampires I would figure out a way to do it myself. But since they DID implement them, if there were no mods, I would simply change them via rules that govern how I would play them. Like, I wouldn't allow them to eat regular food and I'd come up with some gameplay way to simulate drinking blood. Mods just make things easier. More automated, I guess. Whereas, since I don't have an interest in witchcraft lore, I don't feel much motivation to make them more interesting, either via mods OR gameplay rules. So for me, at least, how EA implemented a supernatural state is neither here nor there because I can make them how I want in various ways IF I'm interested enough to do so. With witches, I'm not interested enough. Nor for zombies. For vampires, werewolves, and plantsims (which are actually my favorite of the supernaturals, though vampires are a close second), though...Yeah, I'm interested. Heck, even Bigfoot is far more interesting with mods. (Particularly Bigfoot Romance.)

Of course, for other people, better EA implementation might make more people interested in a certain kind of supernatural, but for me, personally, having the interest is the most important thing.

Lab Assistant
#357 Old 23rd Jul 2018 at 4:35 PM
Pleasure is one of the more boring aspirations for a sim.
Forum Resident
#358 Old 23rd Jul 2018 at 5:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Karlissa
Pleasure is one of the more boring aspirations for a sim.

Yeah, I agree. The wants (bowling, dining, outings, ect.) are all things I do for my non-pleasure sims anyway, so I generally use pleasure for sims I'm not too invested in or the other aspirations don't fit their personality :/
Theorist
#359 Old 23rd Jul 2018 at 7:19 PM
I also find Pleasure to be the most boring aspiration. I don't like going on community lots all that much in Sims 2, so a lot of their wishes tend to be pretty annoying and those that aren't seem a bit underwhelming (jump on the couch, put on underwear)

I still use them and manage to keep my Pleasure Sims reasonably happy (I particularly like the aspiration for man-child/woman-child characters) but usually in junction with a secondary aspiration and even then I find the other aspirations much more itneresting.

Also this brings me to another unpopular opinion: I hate community lots. Most of the time my Sims even have their dates in their backyards.

Taking an extended break from Sims stuff. Might be around, might not.
Mad Poster
#360 Old 23rd Jul 2018 at 10:10 PM
Pleasure can be a fun aspiration - just have them do a lot of dating. While I don't like going to community lots a lot of times, after awhile I do start enjoying them. Besides, I love sim-owned businesses.
Field Researcher
#361 Old 23rd Jul 2018 at 10:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by JDacapo
Pleasure can be a fun aspiration - just have them do a lot of dating. While I don't like going to community lots a lot of times, after awhile I do start enjoying them. Besides, I love sim-owned businesses.

Yeah, but that's what makes them so boring. Dating tends to go a certain way if you want the dates to be moderately successful and all other aspirations date too. Plus, Pleasure sims have a really short attention span and tend to wish halfway through the date that they want to fall in love with someone else.
Have you tried the 50 Dream Dates thing? The memory description is hilarious.
On the other hand, since I'm very focused on the achievements of my sims, Pleasure sims kinda force me to be more relaxed and just do fun stuff with them. I wish Pleasure sims liked children more by the way, I get they don't want the responsibility and work of raising one, but it would be nice if this aspiration got wishes to play with their children once they got them. Having children is a great excuse to jump on the couch whenever you want!
Instructor
#362 Old 24th Jul 2018 at 1:10 AM
Possibly unpopular opinion: If you don't have certain restrictions while you play (but don't use cheats), and you use every opportunity to abuse what's "legally" available to you (like aspiration rewards, benefit points), TS2 presents little challenge to fulfilling almost any gameplay goal (especially with EPs).
Mad Poster
#363 Old 24th Jul 2018 at 2:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Vss2eip
Possibly unpopular opinion: If you don't have certain restrictions while you play (but don't use cheats), and you use every opportunity to abuse what's "legally" available to you (like aspiration rewards, benefit points), TS2 presents little challenge to fulfilling almost any gameplay goal (especially with EPs).

True. That's why we make our own rules. These rules keep the game from getting boring.
Theorist
#364 Old 24th Jul 2018 at 2:58 AM Last edited by PenelopeT : 24th Jul 2018 at 5:14 PM.
Not sure if this would be deemed an unpopular opinion or not, but here goes...

You do not have to play a game that has a certain style/theme/aesthetic just because it appears popular. Do what you feel, play how you like.

Some simmers are always so focused on whether someone is Maxis match, semi-realistic or realistic, and how that measures up on the popularity scale.

“Seize the time... Live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.” ― Jean-Luc Picard
Scholar
#365 Old 24th Jul 2018 at 8:49 AM
You ought to try the DDS method of recoloring stuff. Works for everything, not just CAS stuff. Here's a tutorial for hair that Poppet did for hair: http://poppet-sims.tumblr.com/dds The process is pretty much the same for all objects, CAS, build/buy, whatever. Poppet's tute uses Photoshop, but there's a DDS plug-in for GIMP, and I imagine the process for recoloring using DDs files in GIMP would be similar. Then, you wouldn't have to worry about the BMP issue. Using DDS files, the only thing I have to do in BodyShop is make the initial recolor files. I look at the results of what I do in-game rather than "previewing" in BS, which takes a little longer -- but not much, since a no-other-CC game will load in less than a minute -- because IMO, things look utterly crappy in BS, so loading up the game is better for previewing.

Funnily enough the only way I knew was the SimPE Build DXT way. I just lead myself down a false path of assumptions which started from using the wrong package copy.

In less boring terms, this is what Body Shop did to me (or maybe I'm just a halfwit).

"It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
Truth will not fear scrutiny.
Mad Poster
#366 Old 24th Jul 2018 at 2:33 PM
No, I would actually still play vampires without mods, precisely because I AM interested in vampires. Heck, even if EA had never made vampires I would figure out a way to do it myself. But since they DID implement them, if there were no mods, I would simply change them via rules that govern how I would play them. Like, I wouldn't allow them to eat regular food and I'd come up with some gameplay way to simulate drinking blood. Mods just make things easier. More automated, I guess. Whereas, since I don't have an interest in witchcraft lore, I don't feel much motivation to make them more interesting, either via mods OR gameplay rules. So for me, at least, how EA implemented a supernatural state is neither here nor there because I can make them how I want in various ways IF I'm interested enough to do so. With witches, I'm not interested enough. Nor for zombies. For vampires, werewolves, and plantsims (which are actually my favorite of the supernaturals, though vampires are a close second), though...Yeah, I'm interested. Heck, even Bigfoot is far more interesting with mods. (Particularly Bigfoot Romance.)

Of course, for other people, better EA implementation might make more people interested in a certain kind of supernatural, but for me, personally, having the interest is the most important thing.

I see. I care for implementation, because If they aren't implemented them, what's the point of transforming them? Ugh, I kinda wanna see zombies to be dangerous. Even in TS3 return in an expansion pack. What they could have done is brought a way to trigger the apocalypse, let it be through a disease (Biotech Station disaster) that spreads in air/water/food or whatever. Despite zombies regardless how many nice points they have, they should have the ability to attack sims and spread the disease. I know Pescado as made close to that, but I heard from somehow it had problems and only kicks in the chaos depending on the negative relationship undead has with a mortal, which kinda.... not that much fun. *Continues fantasize* the infection could work like a dominos effect, where eventually a whole neighborhood from one zombie turns into a zombie apocalypse. Of course there could be an exception who gets turned, so like the Pescado fighting mod would work where it takes fitness/body into account which might turn odds against the zombie with some chance of the mortal fending back an attack and successfully avoid being bitten. Weapons for mortals that neutralize (depleting energy to zero for) zombies would allow mortals to fight back (since killing guns would up the T rating). Also, when a zombie infects someone they would satisfy their hunger (since they're well known in folklore for eating a vital organ, because again since it's a T game, it wouldn't be graphical because there would be no animation other than the generic "Fight!" and no mention of "Brains" like the euphemism for 'plasma'. And maybe fewer needs like plantsims/servos, without fun, bladder, maybe omitting comfort, hygiene being always red or keep the quicker drop rate, hunger perhaps renamed as Brains.

I kinda do have a plan to give them such change when I learn modding Werewolves and plantsims too, a bit witches.

Mad Poster
#367 Old 24th Jul 2018 at 3:19 PM
A couple of possibly unpopular opinions:

I don't want any supernatural, magical, occult or similar elements in my game. I'd really much rather play without witches, Bigfoots, Werewolves, Plantsims, Vampires, aliens or even ghosts. Have I missed any? The only ones I'd keep are servos, provided they don't endanger my Sims. Because sooner or later we surely must get some kind of humanoid robots in Real Life.

I don't want to make my game harder. Because I care about my Sims, and I don't want to make their lives harder. The only exception is University -- just a little harder -- so my Sims could feel some sense of achievement when they make the Dean's List.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Mad Poster
#368 Old 24th Jul 2018 at 3:54 PM
Speaking of university, I wonder If I will ever be attached a college neighborhood in the future I will have a bunch of sims that will unemployed freelancers or employed to entrepreneurs.

Lab Assistant
#369 Old 24th Jul 2018 at 8:14 PM
Every time I see this thread, I try to think of an unpopular opinion, but I don't seem to have any that weren't already expressed (and most of those were given a lot of "agrees").

I guess I'm a sheeple.
Test Subject
#370 Old 24th Jul 2018 at 10:02 PM
I hate University... Partially because it makes my otherwise flawless game crash and burn.
Mad Poster
#371 Old 8th Aug 2018 at 9:54 PM
Maybe Glamour Life SP could have been an EP with fame and celebrity things - kinda like Sims 1 Superstar from what I understand? Or Sims 3 Showtime? :/
Alchemist
#372 Old 9th Aug 2018 at 1:02 AM
I frickin' loved Superstar. Maybe it's the nostalgia glasses, but, if ever there was an EP that deserved a perfect rating, that was it. I honestly can't remember a downside to it, except that the obsessed fan got annoying and was a big stalker problem, but well, he was obsessed! Such is the price of fame.

I was so disappointed that TS3, of all the games, didn't do more and channel that EP. The celebrity system is okay, if flawed. (TS3 sims are waaaay too concerned with who is sleeping with who, considering they're the ones who love open relationships with no labels. ) But you mean to tell me that the 1st generation game gets recording booths, photo shoots, catwalks/fashion shows, acting skits, stand up skits, and personal trailers while the gen 3, open world game gets... a rabbit hole?

Yeah, I'll be grumbling about that one forever. Anyway, my unpopular opinion that I didn't get to post earlier is that I like the reagents. Idk, good witches are so OP, it makes sense to handicap them a bit. And you can always buy the core ingredients, though I do think sims should be able to buy all ingredients from the head witches. It's not like alignment prevents sims from making certain ones.

No, my problem witches in TS2 isn't a problem with the spells and abilities, but rather a problem with the lopsided good-neutral-evil system and the seriously wasted potential. Sure, there could be more potions and spells, but more concerning is that the most useful, everyday spells are good spells. Neutral and evil witches don't have cleaning spells, except for puddles, neutral witches also don't have a throne so there's no mood boosting for them, and it's the good witches who have spells to cheat a bit and help them make friends and Let me stop myself before getting into another rant about good vs evil witches!

Basically, good witches have really useful spells and evil witches have a collection of pranks. The good-neutral-evil dichotomy shoulda been more balanced, with attractive elements and viable alternatives for all sides. Perhaps the neutral witches could've gotten more potions, to make up their lack of spells, evil witches could've caused more lasting damage, etc., etc. Alignment should've had real meaning--not only should there have been duels, but why wasn't alignment incorporated into the reputation system, so that when witches greet each other and interact, their alignment and the alignment of the other sim had effects? Sigh. See, it's the wasted potential that really gets me.

"May the sunlight find you, thy days be long, thy winters kind, thy roots be strong." -Grand Oak Tree, DAO

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
Bored? Read an unfinished legacy or sim story. | aka Kelyns | she/her
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#373 Old 9th Aug 2018 at 1:30 AM
In TS3, my self-Sim somehow became a celebrity (I don't know how) and received continual calls, multiple times a day even, from an agent telling her that she was gorgeous (that's a stretch) and that she should work out for x amount of hours. It got a bit frustrating.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#374 Old 9th Aug 2018 at 8:58 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Phantomknight
I honestly can't remember a downside to it, except that the obsessed fan got annoying and was a big stalker problem, but well, he was obsessed! Such is the price of fame.

He stalked my sim everywhere- even Vacation Island. He never was attentive to his fans, but he got the black roses for that spell...
Screenshots
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#375 Old 9th Aug 2018 at 12:32 PM
I see SimSample wasn't wearing PVC then - that picture with him in bed is creepy.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Page 15 of 17