Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Nov 2018 at 6:13 AM
Default So WHEN do you get children?
it really hit me that i seem to have a reproducing mind when playing sims 4. i usually play with very big families, and i usually have them very fast in my gameplay.
but now i play with a lesbian couple and since they don't have money to adopt a baby, and can't make one, it really made me realise how much i haven't experienced jobs, lifetime wishes, skills and such because i hurry to get the biggest family possible.

so how about you? when do you usually let your sims have children?
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 26th Nov 2018 at 9:40 AM
I normally play legacy style and I start the reproducing asap. My older generations can care for the kids if my current generation wants to experience youngster life :D
Alchemist
#3 Old 26th Nov 2018 at 1:34 PM
Depends. The story must always go on. Sometimes I play sims obsessed with gaining success in their field, and there is a surprise pregnancy right before they get too old to reproduce. It always depends, but even the most family oriented sim doesn't have a kid until he/she is 10 days old since young adult.

what does his name even mean?
Forum Resident
#4 Old 26th Nov 2018 at 4:52 PM
I usually focus on getting to know each sim - I do up all my townies, get them all moved in, delete any pre-generated children (because I like to have all sims born in game) and then let the relationships and drama determine who has a child and when. I love surprises, and I like for my sims to autonomously get pregnant, with interesting results. I guess the goal of my gameplay is to enjoy the story as much as possible - and kids are a part of that, but not the whole thing.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 26th Nov 2018 at 5:11 PM
It just happens. To provide some realism with babies and such, I have wickedwhims and have it set so family household and townies can reproduce at their own rate. I sort of like when there's a sudden and surprise pregnancy to deal with because that's more real to me
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 27th Nov 2018 at 8:28 AM
It varies per sim for me. For example in one of my saves where I'm just barely four generations in (farthest I've gotten with any generational gameplay), the first gen sim lived in a crappy apartment and I wanted to focus on getting her money, and she was so busy fixing everything and doing her aspiration that it took awhile before I felt like she could have a kid and not have to run around in ten different directions. Second gen sim and his husband both worked on their aspirations while also raising a family from the get-go and just sort of built from the ground up as they went. I had my third gen have a baby right away since she had done most of her aspiration as a teen and was a vampire anyway so I didn't have to worry about cramming everything in before aging up. So I guess it kind of depends on my sims' aspirations and how much money they're earning, mostly. Sometimes I like to wait until they've finished their aspirations and have a good wad of cash, sometimes I throw some kids in to make things more challenging. But it's fun to mix things up and do families different each time.
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 28th Nov 2018 at 8:40 AM
It's different for me between every Sim. I've always been into writing fiction, so I can't help but overthink the 'character' in my Sims, and I really do think about what choices make sense for them from a storytelling perspective. I'm not going to take a Sim who doesn't seem to have any interest in family and make them raise a bunch of kids. It just wouldn't make sense in my head. I usually just sort of wait for the time that makes sense, and sometimes I'll have sims that never have any kids because they always had other things going on that they seemed way more into.
Test Subject
#8 Old 28th Nov 2018 at 4:42 PM
I play 21 families on a 3 week rotation (1 family for one day, then the next and so on) and my "baby-making" day is Friday, so as long as the family I play on Fridays is the right age and I have slots free to make babies (without going over the 70-sim rule I have set myself - not including townies and NPCs of course) then they will try for a baby. It works well until one of my sims gets abducted and I have alien babies to contend with (I never send them back to the home planet). I also have another 46 played families that I play on week 4 of my 4 week cycle and I follow the same rules for them. At the moment I have a lot of Castellanos' and Munch's in my game because they always seem to have boys. I'm currently on my 3rd generation and they have started to have kids.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#9 Old 28th Nov 2018 at 5:19 PM
Can't they have a one-night stand with a male NPC or something? Watching TV over his shoulder or something to take their mind off it.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Field Researcher
#10 Old 28th Nov 2018 at 6:38 PM
I let them have a baby once I finish deciding who gets a job, whether or not someone stays home, that kind of stuff. Usually, one parent already has a job or at least the skills needed for a job and couple promotions. Toddlers are hard work! Babies are so much easier.

All's fair in love, war, and video games! ~LyokoGirl5000
Scholar
#11 Old 28th Nov 2018 at 6:44 PM
I only play with one couple, and I try to spend most of their money on having a decently furnished home when I start (maybe with an empty room that is eventually going to be the kids' room), so they really just don't have the money at first. I think I try to get about... 4000 Simoleons or so together by writing books or similar, before I let them try for baby. Even if the whim appears earlier; I just save that one. And I always use a cheat for this one couple to have twin girls because... well, that's just how I envision them, and I have had no luck with forcing multiples, even with the right music and food.
Instructor
#13 Old 1st Dec 2018 at 5:13 PM
I let them have kids when both parties roll a wish to have a baby, or when they autonomously try to a baby, or when someone accidentally gets pregnant.
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 3rd Dec 2018 at 6:52 PM
I have autonomous try for baby/risky woohoo so sometimes it just happens like real life, but I try to make sure that both sims are excelling in their career before they have children.