Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th May 2017 at 1:22 AM
Default EIG – Save World Failed – Lot Placing
First, I'll describe the problem as succinctly as possible, then I'll detail the measures I've taken to solve it.
I'm using CAW with the base game alone. I have no custom content. I can save my world in CAW, I can save in EIG with most edits, but if I try to place a blank lot anywhere on the map I'm not longer able to save successfully. I have placed empty lots before without trouble, but for some reason I can't anymore. Instead, I get the error message depicted. I'm unable to scan through the full message to see exactly which file is causing the error, but I'm fairly confident I've narrowed it to the new empty lot nevertheless.
I've cleared the caches of both the CAW and Sims 3 folders in My Documents. I've renamed the world. I've made new User files. None of it has worked. However, I have found a work-around. If I build on the empty lots, I'm able to save. It's just... annoying to have to do that with every single lot I place.
So, I hope someone knows why CAW suddenly stopped accepting empty lots and a more convenient way to get around, or preferably fix, the issue.
Screenshots
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 18th May 2017 at 7:24 AM
I recommend to place empty lots always in CAW itself, not in the EIG tool. You have a much better control of lot size, you can align them with grid and roads much better. You can then build them in EIG or plop finished lots on them.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 18th May 2017 at 10:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Vincent T.
I recommend to place empty lots always in CAW itself, not in the EIG tool. You have a much better control of lot size, you can align them with grid and roads much better. You can then build them in EIG or plop finished lots on them.

In certain contexts that is true, but I have a lot of trouble aligning new lots straightly with the road and neighbouring lots because the rotation tool isn't precise enough, especially the when it comes to larger lots. Also, since I have the addlotsize cheat mod, size isn't an issue in EIG for me. I prefer to create the empty lot in EIG for rotational alignment, then tweak the placement in CAW (I also tend to have problems with lots sticking to roads, but that's not really much of an issue, just a nuisance that probably stems from my crappy ability to make straight roads).
Mad Poster
#4 Old 19th May 2017 at 12:02 AM
Your error should be showing what lot failed. I had an error recently and it said which lot failed. I knew which one it was as I had only worked on one. For who knows what reason, I bulldozed in EiG and put the exact lot back and it saved. (?) I always add lots only in CAW and so far have had no problems placing them.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 19th May 2017 at 4:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by daisylee
Your error should be showing what lot failed. I had an error recently and it said which lot failed. I knew which one it was as I had only worked on one. For who knows what reason, I bulldozed in EiG and put the exact lot back and it saved. (?) I always add lots only in CAW and so far have had no problems placing them.

I'm sure it does, but as depicted in the screenshot, I'm unable to scroll through the error message. Either way, I prefer placing lots in EIG even though I don't encounter problems in CAW.
Top Secret Researcher
#6 Old 19th May 2017 at 7:36 AM Last edited by Vincent T. : 19th May 2017 at 10:23 AM.
Place any lot size mod IS an issue in EIG. CAW and EIG do not use the full game engine, so some things don't work there as they do in game.

You can align rotation/location like 6 digits after the comma in the property browser window in caw, so I don't see where this wouldn't be precise enough. Do you use the "snap to grid"-tool when placing stuff?

If you still prefer to place lots in EIG then you will just have to try and hope for the best each time. The solution to your issue would be to place lots in caw.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 20th May 2017 at 10:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Vincent T.
Place any lot size mod IS an issue in EIG. CAW and EIG do not use the full game engine, so some things don't work there as they do in game.

You can align rotation/location like 6 digits after the comma in the property browser window in caw, so I don't see where this wouldn't be precise enough. Do you use the "snap to grid"-tool when placing stuff?

If you still prefer to place lots in EIG then you will just have to try and hope for the best each time. The solution to your issue would be to place lots in caw.

Ah, well that would make some sense then in regards to EIG placement.

I must not be using the rotation tool correctly because I definitely can't get that precise of an angle.
Top Secret Researcher
#8 Old 20th May 2017 at 12:22 PM
Ok, let me explain in a bit more detail then.

1. First, I recommend to use the snap to grid tool:

It shows the grid and lots and streets "snap" to it, so should be aligned automatically.

2. After placing a lot you can see its exact location on the grid in the property browser window:

You can also see in the screenshot above that I didn't rotate the snap to grid-grid yet (default is always 0 degrees).

3. Now rotate the lot. You can see how the values change in the property browswer window. I also rotated the snap to grid-grid this time, to make it easier for me (if you use the arrows next to the grid rotation degree it will jump by 3. You can enter any number manually).

The lot is not well aligned.

4. Enter any number in the property browers window for rotation degree. It's a bit trial and error, but you will get it quickly.

Et voilà, perfectly aligned.

This of course is possible without the snap to grid-grid, but it really helps a lot. You can also change the Y and X coordinates in the property browser to move the lot around. You can do that with any object by the way.
Screenshots
Scholar
#9 Old 21st May 2017 at 1:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by flutteringwisp
In certain contexts that is true, but I have a lot of trouble aligning new lots straightly with the road and neighbouring lots because the rotation tool isn't precise enough, especially the when it comes to larger lots. Also, since I have the addlotsize cheat mod, size isn't an issue in EIG for me. I prefer to create the empty lot in EIG for rotational alignment, then tweak the placement in CAW (I also tend to have problems with lots sticking to roads, but that's not really much of an issue, just a nuisance that probably stems from my crappy ability to make straight roads).

I find I have much better control placing empty lots in CAW. You can manually adjust placement and rotation of lots in CAW in tiny increments using the placement and rotation settings for any given lot. This is usually what I do to get them exactly aligned to roads - especially roads that are at a bit of an angle. (Deselect the CAW grid first.) Another thing that might be helpful is rotating the grid of the world/neighborhood itself. (It should be at the bottom of the screen when the CAW grid is selected.) This helps me to place straight lots and roads. (It's also a good way to get a bunch of lots or roads at the same angle.) I hope that makes sense. If not, please let me know and I'll try to explain it better.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 22nd May 2017 at 9:05 PM
Ah! Yes, I was not aware the grid rotated. Makes sense, because otherwise it'd be rather useless. That is very useful indeed, thank you both.