Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#76 Old 13th Jan 2013 at 10:42 PM Last edited by marcusprime : 14th Jan 2013 at 1:57 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by TMBrandon
Not always though, lots of moons don't have weather, and some planets capable of any life have another extreme of weather or none at all. I believe Earth is probably the only "norm" in terms of weather.

Well it stands to reason the world was selected for colonization because it was earth-like in its bio-sphere, or could easily be terraformed into such.
Rather than a planet with no atmosphere or methane rain.
Not trying to be a pedantic sourpuss here of course, I just dont get why raining or snowing or foggy on an alien world, be it a planet or moon, ruins the game. It makes total sense to me.

Add me as a friend in the Sims:
http://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/Zagreus74
Advertisement
One Minute Ninja'd
#77 Old 14th Jan 2013 at 1:08 AM
I don't have an issue with weather on some terraformed future planet. It's Lunar Lakes, the "Lunar", as in like, our Moon, that the last time I checked accuweather.com hadn't had rain or snow in several billion years. Just sayin'.
Inventor
#78 Old 14th Jan 2013 at 1:12 AM
Those lakes have to come from somewhere.

Shy, Clumsy, Insane, Artistic, Hopeless Romantic, Cat Person, Supernatural Fan

Art tumblr
deviantart
Lab Assistant
#79 Old 14th Jan 2013 at 2:01 AM Last edited by marcusprime : 14th Jan 2013 at 2:14 AM.
Titan is a moon in our own solar system. It has weather right now. It even has seasons.
http://www.space.com/14133-saturn-m...n-forecast.html
http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblo...iters-moon.html

Add me as a friend in the Sims:
http://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/Zagreus74
Top Secret Researcher
#80 Old 14th Jan 2013 at 3:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by marcusprime
Well it stands to reason the world was selected for colonization because it was earth-like in its bio-sphere, or could easily be terraformed into such.

It may have been selected because of the easy transport of taxi cabs, police cars, and fire engines from Sunset Valley, rather than having to use vehicles which would somehow be appropriate to a distant planet.
Field Researcher
#81 Old 24th Jan 2013 at 1:39 AM
Another person here not at all interested in the time travel concept of this EP. But I'm sure I will be picking it up at some stage, as I can imagine there'll be some amazing build and buy content as well as some great pre made futuristic homes. Pretty poor excuse to buy an EP I know, but hey - I went down the same route with World Adventures and Showtime too.

19 - Female - Australia
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#82 Old 24th Jan 2013 at 5:16 AM
Honestly, I wont give EA much credit for providing good architectural support in the game. The Build/Buy section is still lacking a lot. We have 1 elevator, 2 spiral staircases, we have yet to get a normal looking sectional (I'm going to say that until we get one), the windows + doors are still lacking key bits and pieces, no split level tool, no docks... We're just lacking a lot of stuff we should have had a long time ago. If we do get it in that EP, it wont look normal at all, which sucks.

At least the theme is entirely new.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Top Secret Researcher
#83 Old 24th Jan 2013 at 9:50 AM
Quote: Originally posted by matrix54
Honestly, I wont give EA much credit for providing good architectural support in the game. The Build/Buy section is still lacking a lot. We have 1 elevator, 2 spiral staircases, we have yet to get a normal looking sectional (I'm going to say that until we get one), the windows + doors are still lacking key bits and pieces, no split level tool, no docks... We're just lacking a lot of stuff we should have had a long time ago. If we do get it in that EP, it wont look normal at all, which sucks.

At least the theme is entirely new.

They did mention new build tools coming with Island Paradise, so it's possible that some of those things will be introduced there. Certainly docks, given that they're adding boats. Split levels, possibly. Who knows, maybe some others?

In there, at least, it probably won't look so abnormal.
Instructor
#84 Old 24th Jan 2013 at 10:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Srikandi
You obviously have a time machine already to know so much about two EPs about which we have only been given the barest details as yet

Actually, a time machine isn't needed. All one needs to do is see whay EA has done in the past, then figure they will behave in the same way in the future,

Generally, EA's pattern has been to do as little as they think they can get away with and try to reduce develoment costs to the bare bone. Plus they tend to repackage existing items. This typically means they do things half way.

For example, one way of doing this would be to take Sunset Valley and/or Riverview and setting them 50 or 100 years in the future. From a world building perspective, this is much easier than making a new world from scratch. Just take the existing world(s) and replace the buildings and rabbitholes.

Many futursitc items already exist,including but not limited to, transporters, food replicators (right out of Star Trek), the body morpher, moodlet manager, weather control machine, moodlet vehicle, flying car, rejuvenation potions, robots,and time machines. All of the staples of science fiction largely exist.

All they need to do is update these existing items and perhaps add a couple more. For example, instead of a simbot which looks like the Tin Man from the Wizard of Oz, we get somthing which looks more like a Cylon. Perhaps they might add something like a learning helmet, or perhaps some cryogenics. Or perhaps Orbital Mind Control Lasers made by The Mad Scientists for a Better Tomorrow (for those who have played Illuminati).

Add some more futuristic clothes and hairs, and they are done.

With a little work, they can produce a whole new full priced EP.
Forum Resident
#85 Old 24th Jan 2013 at 11:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by shaaaii
Another person here not at all interested in the time travel concept of this EP. But I'm sure I will be picking it up at some stage, as I can imagine there'll be some amazing build and buy content as well as some great pre made futuristic homes. Pretty poor excuse to buy an EP I know, but hey - I went down the same route with World Adventures and Showtime too.

I feel the same, the whole gimmick of time travel doesn't interest me in the least. There's still much we don't know about the IP EP but I'm pissed that we didn't get a full OFB out of any of the three EPs coming up and Welcome to the Future is the theme they chose. Future sounds like it's going to be WA where you travel to a new land and then can bring back some things (or someones) to your homeworld.

I still haven't picked up Supernatural but eventually will somewhere down the line (maybe after IP comes out) unless EA releases a version of the rocking chair in the Store.
Alchemist
#86 Old 24th Jan 2013 at 3:17 PM
For a second I thought I would like it more if the concept is the "progression of technology" rather than "jumping to the future." I would like it more if EA actually gives us credits or "unlockables" for spending long enough in one save game. For example, playing long enough, like about 2 in-game weeks will unlock a new hi-tech object Eco-Friendly cars, modern tablets, or even-smarter smartphone to be available for purchase at the consignment store or Buy Mode. Then, the next few weeks again hoverboard or hovercar will have been invented, along with jetpacks, robotic dogs, or hologram video games. Slowly, the theme and style around the town will shift gradually into futuristic themes. Even longer, robots like SimBots if you have Ambitions can autonomously spawn as story progression continues, because Vampires and Werewolves currently can. Eventually, even more futuristic things will exist to the game, like aliens around the town, visiting the moon (rabbit hole maybe), and so on. You name it. I'm not a real fan of sci-fi, so I can't think of good idea about futuristic era. This is because in real life, technology keeps advancing and we wouldn't know what future will hold, unless we can see what progresses along with the time. The technology breakthrough, that is.

Progression is much better than just plainly go to the said future, where things like hovercar is simply a car with new animations and designs, which can be actually included in an SP if only the previous one was 21st, 22nd, & 23rd Centuries Stuff Pack (or should've been as premium gold edition in Lunar Lakes). Or another rabbithole object like time machine in new design? Haunted House is enough, I don't want another one. Thanks.

This is just plain imagination though, not a speculation about this EP.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#87 Old 24th Jan 2013 at 3:40 PM
I forgot all about Eco-Friendly. Mostly because EA does nothing with it. More green products for those Sims would be great, especially cars.

And a robot dog, I'd love. Especially since all the routing and animations are done. Just a new mesh and rig, and on a layer of robotic coding, and done. It could be the new occult if they wanted it to be. Robo-Pets. :cylon:

Mad Poster
#88 Old 24th Jan 2013 at 4:02 PM
And a robot dog, I'd love. Especially since all the routing and animations are done. Just a new mesh and rig, and on a layer of robotic coding, and done. It could be the new occult if they wanted it to be. Robo-Pets. :cylon:

All these robo-pets will probably need an endless supply of scrap metal.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#89 Old 24th Jan 2013 at 4:04 PM
Grocery Store.

"Scraps and Bits"

Mad Poster
#90 Old 24th Jan 2013 at 4:12 PM
Grocery Store.

"Scraps and Bits"

Forget grocery store, you could just send them out to blow up the neighbour's car but it takes away from the robotic aspect if they constantly need to "eat". They should make them rechargeable, either from solar power or wall socket.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#91 Old 24th Jan 2013 at 4:36 PM
Wall sockets would be a fun addition to the game, actually. What if you could only have electric item used at wall sockets? :o

And too many cause house fires.

Alchemist
#92 Old 24th Jan 2013 at 5:16 PM
Wall sockets would be a fun addition to the game, actually. What if you could only have electric item used at wall sockets? :o

Then I wouldn't be able to place TVs in the middle of the room if sockets are required. D:
Scholar
#93 Old 24th Jan 2013 at 6:43 PM

Pleeeeeease, let us not give EA yet another cause for fires. They are entirely too fond of fires as it is.
Inventor
#94 Old 24th Jan 2013 at 11:40 PM
Now, i am sure the "Travel to Past" feature will be available in this "Time Travel" expansion pack.

EA always sells pieces of the upcoming expansion pack in the Store, just to profit twice. So, the new "Ragtime in the Big Easy" Set give us a big hint about what's coming...

http://store.thesims3.com/setsProdu...campaign=splash
Instructor
#95 Old 25th Jan 2013 at 12:07 AM
Quote: Originally posted by douglasveiga
Now, i am sure the "Travel to Past" feature will be available in this "Time Travel" expansion pack.

EA always sells pieces of the upcoming expansion pack in the Store, just to profit twice. So, the new "Ragtime in the Big Easy" Set give us a big hint about what's coming...

http://store.thesims3.com/setsProdu...campaign=splash

Dang it, I don't need to spend more money on EA right now....
Top Secret Researcher
#96 Old 25th Jan 2013 at 12:07 AM
Quote: Originally posted by douglasveiga

I'm not convinced by that theory myself, personally. It's by no means the first time they've done a set based on the fashions of a past decade. Hell, it's not even the first 1920s set. The futuristic expansion isn't out until towards the end of this year, and a retro-themed stuff pack just came out. I'd say it has far more to do with the current "dress sims in past fashions" theme than with any notion of time travel.
Scholar
#97 Old 25th Jan 2013 at 12:27 AM
This doesn't tempt me. Why does the first guy look like he took a wrong turn to 1820?
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#98 Old 25th Jan 2013 at 3:12 AM
Why are most of the store sets, and even some of the EP sets, impractical as hell.

It's like they get designers to design "mega cool and mega awesome stuff!" but they do research proper furniture design.

What does a set look like? How is it practical? It it too similar to what we have in the game? Does it blend well with current in game styles?

The Clothing as well: It is too fashion forward for everyday use? Is it or will it be too old? Does it blend will with in game styles?

I'm probably correct in this regard, but EA comes across as more "doing a job" than "Doing the research". They didn't give us a strong foundation first before adding in all the extra bits and bobs. It's really bothersome because they really could have done some simple research about what the community wants and need by looking at the community. Not only that, but different and current design styles. Basically, just a lot of research. Hell, they have the Sims 1 and 2 to look back on. The design aspect of the job, really, isn't difficult.

Some questionaires and surveys go a long way. It it makes them feel better, have the material regulated before asking if it's alright to print for survey. Too many times we've had surveys that produced something a good portion of the community wanted, only to be blind sided by somethign we didn't because of what market wanted. It's like they make mistakes, but never learn from them.

Mad Poster
#99 Old 25th Jan 2013 at 5:47 PM
Why are most of the store sets, and even some of the EP sets, impractical as hell.

It's like they get designers to design "mega cool and mega awesome stuff!" but they do research proper furniture design.

What does a set look like? How is it practical? It it too similar to what we have in the game? Does it blend well with current in game styles?

The Clothing as well: It is too fashion forward for everyday use? Is it or will it be too old? Does it blend will with in game styles?

I'm probably correct in this regard, but EA comes across as more "doing a job" than "Doing the research". They didn't give us a strong foundation first before adding in all the extra bits and bobs. It's really bothersome because they really could have done some simple research about what the community wants and need by looking at the community. Not only that, but different and current design styles. Basically, just a lot of research. Hell, they have the Sims 1 and 2 to look back on. The design aspect of the job, really, isn't difficult.

Some questionaires and surveys go a long way. It it makes them feel better, have the material regulated before asking if it's alright to print for survey. Too many times we've had surveys that produced something a good portion of the community wanted, only to be blind sided by somethign we didn't because of what market wanted. It's like they make mistakes, but never learn from them.

Hence their lovely award for being America's worst gaming company in 2012.
Forum Resident
#100 Old 25th Jan 2013 at 5:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by frankie
Hence their lovely award for being America's worst gaming company in 2012.

I believe they won the title for worst company, not worst gaming company. They beat out Wall Street banks!

Go EA!
Page 4 of 65