Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Jun 2009 at 10:44 AM
Default Careers in TS3
Ok I have no idea which 10 careers made it into the base game. Other than Politics.

So what is the deal with careers this time round. Is it more like TS1 with no actual career reward or is this still in the game or have they simply added more to the list of aspiration rewards and had done with it?

Anyone able to give us the list of careers?
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 1st Jun 2009 at 10:50 AM
Sorry, i couldn`t find the career list ATM, but...

Here is the list of lifetime wishes. Many of them are linked to diffrent careers.
http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Lifetime_wishes
Eminence Grise
#3 Old 1st Jun 2009 at 11:19 AM
There are career rewards... they're things like new vehicles, new interactions, abilities, that kind of thing. Not necessarily objects. So like the mad scientist can tinker with objects and give them weird effects.

Careers, going from memory (feel free to add if anybody else remembers more):

Culinary
Politics
Business
Journalism
Science
Military
Medicine
Criminal (2 branches, evil and theft or something like that)
Law (2 branches, intelligence and forensics I think)
Music (2 branches, rock and classical)

Requirements for promotions are different for every step as well as different per career. THey don't simply involve the skills + friends recipe from TS2. Some require doing things outside of work hours. They're very varied.

There are also several part time jobs... spa, bookstore, grocery store, maybe a couple more. These have less complicated requirements and fewer steps.

In any job you can get raises either at a given salary level (usually by completing opportunities) or after you've hit the top, so two sims with the same job at the same step might have different salaries.

And much easier to support yourself at home with writing, painting, music, fishing, gardening or collecting. Or just mooching
Banned
#4 Old 1st Jun 2009 at 11:23 AM
Sounds like fun...

I get paid on the 3rd so I'll be buying my copy then.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 1st Jun 2009 at 11:30 AM
Oh, new interactions as career reward, I like that! I also like that there are two branches in one career path, it makes it more interesting. I secretely hope that there actually are several branches for all careers, but I kind of doubt it though.
Eminence Grise
#6 Old 1st Jun 2009 at 11:38 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Asuka123
I secretely hope that there actually are several branches for all careers, but I kind of doubt it though.

Apparently not, but it would've been nice Maybe they'll add branches as well as new careers in expansion packs.
Inventor
#7 Old 1st Jun 2009 at 11:56 AM
Does anyone know if author is really a career? Or is it stay-at-home, like in TS2?
Inventor
#8 Old 1st Jun 2009 at 12:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jewaukeela
Does anyone know if author is really a career? Or is it stay-at-home, like in TS2?

It falls under the writing skill, certain skill levels and acheivements have their own perks.

The Grumpy Old Gamer's Blog

~Life is like a box of chocolates, just when you're enjoying it, you choke on it.
Instructor
Original Poster
#9 Old 1st Jun 2009 at 5:52 PM
Author is definately a stay at home style thing.

But it does have some perks associated with it, not sure if you just get these by advancing the writing skill or if they are a generic thing.

But there are definately ones which increase the amount of royalties you get. I wonder if there wil be an option for a script writer.. doing trashy soaps and big blockbuster movies!!!!
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 1st Jun 2009 at 6:58 PM
Looks like they already listed them, but I was kind of sad to see that a lot of them were repeat careers. Hopefully the new aspects they added to the careers make them more fun than the last few games.

nom nom nom nom
Instructor
Original Poster
#11 Old 1st Jun 2009 at 7:31 PM
Well I like the new careers, we have some of the careers from the previous base careers, but have also gotten some of the more interesting ones. I hope that they develop more multiple path careers in expansions.

Oh me oh my I am getting so excited about getting this game on Friday! No midnight releases here.
Banned
#12 Old 2nd Jun 2009 at 1:21 AM
I'm wondering about possible custom careers for the sims 3. I would love to make one, but I think that so much is involved with making a career for the sims 3, like you probably would have to have a new lot, since I heard that you can follow your sims to work (btw is that true).
Inventor
#13 Old 2nd Jun 2009 at 1:27 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joninmobile
I'm wondering about possible custom careers for the sims 3. I would love to make one, but I think that so much is involved with making a career for the sims 3, like you probably would have to have a new lot, since I heard that you can follow your sims to work (btw is that true).

I can see custom carreers being done in the future, but yeah it's more work then in the past as you'd need to clone a building and remodel/reskin it to suit the job you are making, or simply add the job to the office building as both the Journalism and Business careers are located there.

The Grumpy Old Gamer's Blog

~Life is like a box of chocolates, just when you're enjoying it, you choke on it.
Field Researcher
#14 Old 2nd Jun 2009 at 3:05 AM
Yeah, you can totally follow sims to work, but there's really no point in it as you can control their performance from home.
Eminence Grise
#15 Old 2nd Jun 2009 at 3:09 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joninmobile
I heard that you can follow your sims to work (btw is that true).

You can follow your sim to the outside of the building where they work. The building itself is a large interactive game object with a lot of functions (besides work) and coding attached to it. You can take classes there, turn in opportunities and so on. So yeah, not a simple matter to add careers.
Theorist
#16 Old 2nd Jun 2009 at 5:04 AM
It really makes me wonder how even EA can add more careers in EPs, because they know we will get bored with the base game ones eventually. If an existing neighborhood can be expanded to include more bulidings, then I can easily imagine more careers being added down the road. I would love to see a train station being added near the outskirts of Sunset Valley where sims could work at the station, and sims could also use the train to get to another city.
Test Subject
#17 Old 2nd Jun 2009 at 5:49 AM
Advancing in careers is now MUCH easier. No longer are you held back in any career by the number of friends you have. You don't get a reward item for completing a career, although the lifestyle you then lead can be creative (I'm thinking of becoming a Rockstar specifically). If you chose a lifetime goal that is conquering a career, you'll get a hefty amount of life points for it. You'll find that getting these points will be your new goal and grind in the Sims 3. They can be spent on some pretty useful traits.

Also, although being an author is not a career, there is a lifetime goal of making something like 40,000 simoleon, or a certain amount per week, from book royalties. So I assume it's a viable way to make a sim living.
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 2nd Jun 2009 at 5:59 AM
Yes, personally I much prefer the career system of TS3, with no friend requirement, but the advancement smileys that show mood, skills, boss relations ect. Yesterday my military sim got offered a job with the police force, and he gets his own patrol car!
Eminence Grise
#19 Old 2nd Jun 2009 at 6:55 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Captain THPS4
It really makes me wonder how even EA can add more careers in EPs, because they know we will get bored with the base game ones eventually. If an existing neighborhood can be expanded to include more bulidings, then I can easily imagine more careers being added down the road. I would love to see a train station being added near the outskirts of Sunset Valley where sims could work at the station, and sims could also use the train to get to another city.

Well, adding new rabbit hole buildings in EPs is no problem -- since you can place em on lots, move em around and so on. If an EP came with a new career, it could just come with the building in the bin as well, and the player could choose a lot to place it on. Modders could do that too; it's just not as simple as making careers in Sims 2, where it was basically just a collection of text strings and one object.

Or add new careers to an existing rabbit hole building, as somebody else suggested.
Test Subject
#20 Old 6th Jun 2009 at 6:53 PM
Does anyone know how you become a partner in owning one of the businesses. In particular the part-time ones. My friend told me that their sim was a partner and making major mula.

Thanks 21.
Test Subject
#21 Old 6th Jun 2009 at 7:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Twenty1
Does anyone know how you become a partner in owning one of the businesses. In particular the part-time ones. My friend told me that their sim was a partner and making major mula.

Thanks 21.

You just need enough money. If you have enough in your "account", when you go to a community building, when you click it one of the options will be "partner", and after that, if you have enough, you can buy out the partners and own it entirely :-)
Instructor
#22 Old 6th Jun 2009 at 7:37 PM
I think careers are one of the most well-done thing about this game. I am loving watching my sims advance and seeing the new interactions. One of my sims is in the medical career. He has a medical beeper in his inventory and gets put "on call" certain days of the week, so he might be eating dinner or doing something else when he is summoned to the hospital for an emergency. He's sent home each day with medical journals he has to read to keep up-to-date on his profession.

His wife is moving up in the criminal career, and he often gets sent to help with heists at other buildings after work. She's robbed the science building, and dropped off bribes at city hall.
Test Subject
#23 Old 6th Jun 2009 at 10:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by redleigh86
You just need enough money. If you have enough in your "account", when you go to a community building, when you click it one of the options will be "partner", and after that, if you have enough, you can buy out the partners and own it entirely :-)

Thank you redleigh86. ~21.

Quote: Originally posted by Howabominable
I think careers are one of the most well-done thing about this game. I am loving watching my sims advance and seeing the new interactions. One of my sims is in the medical career. He has a medical beeper in his inventory and gets put "on call" certain days of the week, so he might be eating dinner or doing something else when he is summoned to the hospital for an emergency. He's sent home each day with medical journals he has to read to keep up-to-date on his profession.

His wife is moving up in the criminal career, and he often gets sent to help with heists at other buildings after work. She's robbed the science building, and dropped off bribes at city hall.

Couldn't agree more! ~21.