Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Mar 2019 at 2:57 AM
Default Making a sliders folder. Need help choosing.
I downloaded brntwaffles slider folder. I thought it was just a collection of the ones she used. I plonked it in my mods folder – whole thing. Wow! That was interesting?.. I had no idea there were somany sliders. And many were duplicates or conflicted with each other, making hilarious glitchy random sims. I rolled one sim with a head so big it took up almost its whole body, and then another with a teeny tiny micro head that you could barely see at a little point on top of the sims head! I had sims with weird hunched up backs, arms that hung down to their knees... all kinds of fun stuff.

Anyway, I have no idea what sliders are the most popular, useful and “complete” set one might generally use. Can anyone recommend a nice collection? I don’t want any height or limb length sliders. I mostly just want face sliders. Right now, I don’t need those super fancy ones that let you make broken noses or crooked faces.

Brntwaffles had SO many sliders collections. I’m fairly certain if you folk name any of your favorites they’ll be there.. or on this site. Please help. I have way too many choices and have no idea what to pick.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 18th Mar 2019 at 3:36 AM
I'd just go into CAS and see what each slider does, see what the ranges are, and jot down which ones you don't like, to delete them.
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 18th Mar 2019 at 3:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Kylaaab
I'd just go into CAS and see what each slider does, see what the ranges are, and jot down which ones you don't like, to delete them.

I don’t know if you ever seen the brntwaffles slider file. there are *several* hundred. I really don’t want to go through all of them if I don’t have to. There are so many that even with nraas, I’d have to break them up into chunks because there’s a 200 slider limit. Even then, I would have to muddle through and hope the 200 sliders I picked didn’t conflict with each other for weird results.
Field Researcher
#4 Old 18th Mar 2019 at 6:43 AM
Ah nope I have not. This probably isn't very helpful but there's always the option of picking and choosing sliders based on which regions of the face you're looking to change and download them separately. Here's a link with many slider downloads (some brntwaffles too) that explain what each of them do and what region they are for. It might just be best to pick and choose, that way you know exactly what you're geting.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 18th Mar 2019 at 6:57 AM
If using NRaas MasterController with MC Integration, the slider limit can be set higher than 200. Not that I'm suggesting holding onto sliders you don't need/want or that conflict with each other and provide goofy results when randomized across ranges that are too high, but some of us do play with more than that limit. Some of the bundles I've tossed in over the years seem to require a dozen sliders each to gain one kind of effect (like hat sizes and eyeglass angles).

NRaas > MC > Settings > CAS > Max Sliders > (default is 100)

We're not sure how high that can really go, 700 for example is probably too high.

If using CmarNYC's XCAS instead of or in addition, then the maximum number has to match and can be set by way of a tuning file.
Scholar
Original Poster
#6 Old 18th Mar 2019 at 1:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
If using NRaas MasterController with MC Integration, the slider limit can be set higher than 200. Not that I'm suggesting holding onto sliders you don't need/want or that conflict with each other and provide goofy results when randomized across ranges that are too high, but some of us do play with more than that limit. Some of the bundles I've tossed in over the years seem to require a dozen sliders each to gain one kind of effect (like hat sizes and eyeglass angles).

NRaas > MC > Settings > CAS > Max Sliders > (default is 100)

We're not sure how high that can really go, 700 for example is probably too high.

If using CmarNYC's XCAS instead of or in addition, then the maximum number has to match and can be set by way of a tuning file.

This helps a LOT!! Thanks so much. I haven't played TS3 for many years and I think (not sure) that there was a limit of 200 when I last played.

And just FYI, the brntwaffles slider folders is NOT a collection of sliders made by brntwaffles. They are a repository of just about all the sliders ever made that are no longer hosted on their original sites. They are by several different creators. And it's ONLY the files. There's no explanation as to what they do. And many of the names are vague or oddly specific. yet not at all descriptive. Many have identical names (I just removed those. There's nothing to identify who made it, so not bothering) If I understood what that folder was, I would never have downloaded it and just dug through it. It's meant to be a thing you use when you are looking for something specific, but it's no longer hosted.

What I'm doing now is looking at downloadable sims, seeing what I like specifically and checking out what sliders they used. Then I go to the site that hosts those sliders and check out everything they have to offer. Now I know why I was getting REALLY weird stuff. It wasn't a conflict or glitch, It was that a creator made sliders for specific things that most people would never modify. One slider was an alien head slider, so you could make huge bulbous "Mars Attack" style heads. She had several alien sliders meant to strech out limbs so they were super long and skinny and had giant fingers. She also had sliders to imitate different physical disabilities, like scoliosis and amputees. Put those in a randomizer, and OMG...
Mad Poster
#7 Old 18th Mar 2019 at 1:58 PM
Understood, but many of us do seek those out so that download does seem like it would be very helpful if used as a additional resource rather than a sole source of files and info. I remember being very happy when I started using uneven attribute sliders and the ones that produce a scoliosis effect when they were more easily available for download (I think some still are). My sims were never meant to be physically perfect and pictures of total symmetry as their player is most certainly not that. But I can see where taking some of these to extremes and all together on the same sims as randomization can do would not be what most players would want. The uneven eye sliders still drive me crazy because I want that for some sims, and I want it to be genetic, but then I find myself readjusting the eyes on newly spawned sims all over town who pick up values for those that I do not want the majority of them to have, at least not to such extremes.

This would have been up to the creators to do, but do any of the mystery sliders have more information about themselves showing if they are opened up in S3PE?
Scholar
Original Poster
#8 Old 18th Mar 2019 at 2:42 PM
Edit to say: Sorry, I seemed to have just skimmed your post instead of reading the whole thing. I do that by accident sometimes. It seems that you said exactly what I said, but I skipped that part. Very sorry.

I agree 100%. BUT I think those are sliders to use sparingly. And I'd definitely take them out of my mods folder when I wasn't using them, because for randomized sims, It's messed up -- especially when they are all mixed. (is there a way to disable sliders for random?) Like the scoliosis slider is great -- for the few sims who need it. I think I'll use it for general posture -- like a sim who slouches or one that is ramrod straight. But when it was in for random, nearly all of the sims I rolled had funky postures - many comicially so. And i very much didn't want a town FULL of amputees, either.

I thought of S3PE, but I bought everything on Origin, so I had to patch to 1.69 when I reinstalled the game. Before I uninstalled, I just chose not to update it. Now there's no option for the 1.67. I am not sure if S3PE works with 1.69. Most of the things that let you peek into the packages seem to do nothing now.

What turned out to be easier was to copy and paste the name of a slider into google and search for it. Then the site pops up for it. (sometimes I need to do the wayback machine because the site is gone) Then I can not only see what that one slider does, I can see what all of them in a collection do. And the creators usually have pictures for examples. Some even have gifs so you can see the slider in action. It's kinda cool.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 18th Mar 2019 at 3:05 PM
S3PE should work on any patch level, as should NRaas Packer. These are package file editing programs only, they don't even require the game to be installed to use them. If S3PE is not launching for you, I'm afraid something else must be wrong or an element of Windows such as .NET is missing/getting in the way.

I don't know of any way to mark certain sliders as valid for random but not others. There's Consort's Project Landslide mod at Simlogical, which may be of interest, but that's a solution for a town already full of sims with unwanted slider settings rather than a means to prevent them from being applied to new sims.
Scholar
Original Poster
#10 Old 18th Mar 2019 at 3:25 PM
@igazor, you've been SO helpful! I used to keep on top of this stuff, but after being gone so many years, I'm way out of the loop. You've really made my day with your posts. Edit: I'm very glad that there are .exe that work without opening the game. I strongly suspected there were, but I wasn't sure how to find them. NRAAS mods has grown alot, AND my abilities to learn how to use most of the features has as well. I ignored most of the advanced stuff in Twallan's mods, since I didn't know much about what I was doing.

Since I'm starting over, I think I'll just have two slider folders. One for everyday and one for special occasions. I'll just pull out the second one. I'm assuming I won't need those sliders after I make the sim. Will their kids be able to inherit the features if the slider isn't in place? If not, it's not a big deal, since sims generally don't inherit broken noses and missing limbs,
Mad Poster
#11 Old 18th Mar 2019 at 3:48 PM
If you remove a slider after having applied it to a sim, then the next time you bring that sim into CAS (if you ever do) even for something entirely different it will no longer be a defined value and will appear as if it's snapping back to 0 on you. That may not be what you want, and slider values cannot be inherited if the slider is no longer present. Not sure what happens if the sim gets or needs to be MasterController Reset as that function rebuilds the sim from the ground up based on current data, but the sim data has to be usable so you may be flipping those different folders around much more often than you intended to.

That would have been an easy solution for things like the uneven eye and scoliosis ones (and missing limbs, etc.) where we want them applied here and there sparingly or on demand only but unfortunately it doesn't really work that way. This issue can be a tricky one, many of us have tripped over it through time and still do.

But you're welcome though, always glad to help where I can.
Scholar
Original Poster
#12 Old 18th Mar 2019 at 4:17 PM
I think I’m going to play without sliders until I “master” how the vanilla ones work in TS3. I may be able to do more than I think I can without them. If you read my post about how I learned stuff in TS4 and now I can use it in TS3. I never used cc sliders in TS4 and I could do some cool things.

I didn’t know until today that deaderpool’s TS4 MC had a setting for showing numeric values. I think I’ll open up TS4 edit an eye (or nose or whatever) and then use the numeric values in TS3 on different sliders and see if I can recreate it using those values. If there’s not a slider that seems to work, I’ll get a cc one that slides whatever I slid in TS4.

This might sound silly, but it’s the way my ASD brain works. I won’t have to do it for long. Just until I can look at a ts4 eye and know about how to set the ts3 sliders to do the same things. I’ve got two machines. My junky one can run TS4 without any EPS at the lowest settings, and that’s all I need.
Field Researcher
#13 Old 21st Mar 2019 at 7:40 PM
I recommend Ahmed's sliders. They make a lot of difference whereas you have a lot of custom sliders that make the most inscrutable changes. Also Jonha's sliders here at MTS, head size is a must have for me. Idk what the devs were thinking when they made the sims' head so damn big lmao.