Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Inventor
#26 Old 13th Mar 2019 at 6:23 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
I'm playing Setra right now and it just doesn't have the same feel as WA Egypt b/c it is using the custom world music etc... when you go to map view... I wish it plays the Egypt music.

Can't you just add some resources to the world file to turn it into an Egyptian world? I remember seeing tutorials how to turn normal worlds into cities or WA worlds. If you turn it into a Egyptian world, then you can travel there using NRaas Traveler and live there using the option to change their Homeworld.
Advertisement
Instructor
#28 Old 13th Mar 2019 at 9:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
I think I mentioned this on a similar thread recently, but the problem so many had with WA is that it was the first EP and players felt that its version of linear play...

... and by linear play, we meant that the tombs and the quest-chains don't reset for the next sim visitor. I clearly remember that WTF moment in the community when WA was released and we realized that the full adventure experience was only for the first sim adventurer who visited those three worlds: once they solved the puzzles, looted the tombs, completed the quests, these locations remained being cleared, so if another sim travels to the same WA worlds attached to the same base world, they can do nothing else then vacationing because some other sim already raided the tombs. Consequently, every time we decided to attach WA worlds to our base game, we had to decide who would be that one and only lucky guy in our base neighborhood who could complete the adventures. Which felt - and for me, it still is - a limited gameplay. (In all the other aspects, I love WA and very glad to have it.)

Of course that was the situation after the release, so perhaps there are mods out there now to correct this; personally I would be curious to know how you guys handle this restriction; do you use a mod to reset the tombs for your next sim after a while? or how do you deal with the aspect that they are not replayable for your other sims?
Mad Poster
#29 Old 13th Mar 2019 at 3:26 PM Last edited by HarVee : 13th Mar 2019 at 3:45 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by jje1000
My main complaint with the pack is it sometimes feels like it presents too much of a 'Disneyland'-perspective of the places it visits (i.e. Egyptians mostly don't live like the way they do in Al-Simhara, nor do the Chinese), and that it's too focused on 1930-style adventuring/pillaging, whereas it could have done well with more of the vacationing and cultural learning aspect involved.

The objects are also sort of awkward and single-use compared to some of the things that came down the road later on- it would have been great if the build-buy sets were more general-use so that we wouldn't get as much basegame content in the builds. The builds and CAS items are also not particularly great or culturally accurate to the places they reference (i.e. Qing-era queues in a modern China), but these sorts of things I can let slide as players are free to fix those things.

That being said, it's still probably one of the packs that genuinely presents culture as being more than an aesthetic, which is something that the sims series is particularly guity of (just look at San Myshuno!)

It does seem like one of the very few packs in the series that has attempted to depict game-play aspects that weren't Americana. I won't speak for the French or Chinese cultures, as I have no experience with them, but the cultural aspects of the Egypt world however do have their fair share of discrepancies. They feel as if EA did a generalization of them without going into the aspects with an eagerness to accurately depicted them.

Really the cultures of WA are just shells of their real counterpart selves. Just enough to give the illusion of something more without ever giving said more. And this partially is why I gave up with Eastlands and making Egyptian CC. The game world can depict the aesthetic, but their isn't enough of the game-play features to make the aesthetic give a true sense of belief. It's all just a facade. Egypt to me just isn't the same without the ability to smoke cigarettes and watch football while drinking Turkish coffee at a hookah cafe with habibi--A very common cultural pastime. And this illusion is a problem that the all of the store worlds suffer from too.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Mad Poster
#30 Old 13th Mar 2019 at 6:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Floraflora2
... and by linear play, we meant that the tombs and the quest-chains don't reset for the next sim visitor. I clearly remember that WTF moment in the community when WA was released and we realized that the full adventure experience was only for the first sim adventurer who visited those three worlds: once they solved the puzzles, looted the tombs, completed the quests, these locations remained being cleared, so if another sim travels to the same WA worlds attached to the same base world, they can do nothing else then vacationing because some other sim already raided the tombs. Consequently, every time we decided to attach WA worlds to our base game, we had to decide who would be that one and only lucky guy in our base neighborhood who could complete the adventures. Which felt - and for me, it still is - a limited gameplay. (In all the other aspects, I love WA and very glad to have it.)

Of course that was the situation after the release, so perhaps there are mods out there now to correct this; personally I would be curious to know how you guys handle this restriction; do you use a mod to reset the tombs for your next sim after a while? or how do you deal with the aspect that they are not replayable for your other sims?

There are ways to reset the tombs. There is a method on this page for doing so, scroll down a bit to find the right section. This page is still a work in progress so currently it doesn't flow very well and it kind of doubles over on itself partway through, but try not to be distracted by that.
http://www.nraas.net/community/Travel-Vacation-Moving

Personally, I am still playing the same ongoing game I started in 2011 and never really cared about the tombs and the quests all that much. When my sims now generations after the original ones visit the WA worlds, they may dabble down there for a bit, have fun with photo ops and teasing the mummies or something as they look for still unexplored territory, but aren't really concerned about all the quests and treasures their predecessors have already collected. If I wanted to play through these things "properly," I would probably start a new game but that's just me.
Scholar
#31 Old 14th Mar 2019 at 3:10 PM
Grabbed WA myself and tried it out yesterday. Only explored one tomb in France. Seems fun, so far. It's just that loading the world, then the vacation world, then back, takes so long... I'll just make a new, empty world, plop a house in, and then do more vacations.
Mad Poster
#33 Old 15th Mar 2019 at 12:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
Use NRAAS traveler and pause travel when you're there or turn off "treat as vacation" option, I never knew the difference between the 2 functions, but they let you stay indefinitely.

We could tell you, but then we would have to...you know.

Pause Travel stops the travel clock, but that's all it does. There will still be a warning displayed when the vacation would have been over and your sims forced to return home, but when the time actually comes nothing happens. The travel clock countdown can be resumed again or the player can just decide if/when it's time to return home. But with this one alone, the game stays in vacation mode throughout.

Treat as Vacation > False makes it so that your employed sims have to go to work as scheduled in the vacation world, if there is a rabbit hole available for them to do so (or a City Hall in the case of self-employed sims). If there is a school, children and teens will have to attend. There's a few other small things it does like allow the active sims to run a resort while there. Technically the travel party is still on a vacation as they still have a homeworld elsewhere, but the game treats many of these things as if they are in a homeworld. I believe it is not possible to invoke Traveler's Change Hometown or return back home while this option is still on False. If the player attempts to travel back to their homeworld, they will be presented with a new, clean copy of it rather than the already played one they were supposed to have come from.
Scholar
#35 Old 15th Mar 2019 at 3:48 PM
I forget, which NRaas mod do I need to remove Tourists from spawning? Master Controller Population?
Mad Poster
#36 Old 15th Mar 2019 at 4:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CatMuto
I forget, which NRaas mod do I need to remove Tourists from spawning? Master Controller Population?

Tourism is controlled by NRaas Register.
Theorist
#37 Old 15th Mar 2019 at 4:55 PM
I think what happens is we get these EPs and don't fully explore them before the next one comes out. Sims 3 is such a richly layered game when you add EPs. Unless you're someone who likes to cheat just to get to the top (I don't) it can take a very long time to explore all the bits and pieces of each EP. So, yes, it's good you rediscovered you like WA. I bought it awhile ago to add on (I never bought it before as it got such a poor review) so I look forward to sending Sims on adventures.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
Scholar
#38 Old 15th Mar 2019 at 11:25 PM
I think in WA, the only way I've cheated so far was on my first trip to Al Simhara because they kept demanding I befriend people to get them to talk about things, and I just thought, "Dude! I don't have the time for this crap. Let me finish this adventure and pick the next one." But I'm guessing Al Simhara is the only one that has this 'one adventure involves large corporation with many parts' thing?
Mad Poster
#39 Old 16th Mar 2019 at 6:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HarVee
The game world can depict the aesthetic, but their isn't enough of the game-play features to make the aesthetic give a true sense of belief. It's all just a facade. Egypt to me just isn't the same without the ability to smoke cigarettes and watch football while drinking Turkish coffee at a hookah cafe with habibi--A very common cultural pastime. And this illusion is a problem that the all of the store worlds suffer from too.

I don't know, but I feel that TS3 gives you a set of options with which you could at least sort of do these activities, especially if tuning can be adjusted to make sims do them autonomously. Some recipes and interactions could also be modded to change up their textures and strings as well.

For instance, there are cigarettes modded in, and there at least is a sports channel. You can get coffee served to you, and Late Night comes with a bubble bar (which can be modded into a 'hookah' https://aroundthesims3.com/objects/...edroom_02.shtml). As for the habibi? Well you can make it a group outing I suppose.

In my opinion, most people live fairly similar lives to one another nowadays, the major differences comes in terms of their environment, food and societal expectations- many of which are loose enough to be freely interpretable. On the other hand, if the environment can't be changed (like in TS4), you'll always be stuck in America.
Field Researcher
#40 Old 16th Mar 2019 at 8:30 PM
But I'm guessing Al Simhara is the only one that has this 'one adventure involves large corporation with many parts' thing?

Nope! All the locations have some crazy long quest that involves multiple parts where you need to make someone like you before they will give you the information you need. The longest quest for China will even force you to take a trip to France to get a person to give you information. France is a little better but it still has a few quests that have multiple parts.

I usually stack the "attractive" lifetime reward with the charisma boost from knowing 25 people. That gets me close to being friends when I meet a new person. "Hi, I'm pretty! Could you be my friend and tell me where that secret base is?"
Mad Poster
#41 Old 16th Mar 2019 at 9:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Tacitala
I usually stack the "attractive" lifetime reward with the charisma boost from knowing 25 people. That gets me close to being friends when I meet a new person. "Hi, I'm pretty! Could you be my friend and tell me where that secret base is?"

"And I have my own bathtub, wanna go on a TS5 adventure with me?" (oops, I already used a line like that prior up the thread)

Actually, I find that my sims have to chat up others in order to complete opportunities involving even merely delivering something that have nothing to do with quests or WA. Just recently one completed an opp that involved jogging while wearing a monitoring device, the intended recipient to whom the device needed to be dropped off was sitting in a comfy chair in the town's bakery doing absolutely nothing, but I couldn't just waltz (or jog) my sim in and hand the device over. I had to chat, talk about the weather, hows that sports team doing, etc. before the hand over action would stop dropping from the queue. At the very least I had to get the target sim out of her chair. The sims were already at least acquaintances, they might have been (weak) friends, but that sort of requirement on at least the short term interaction chain doesn't seem unusual.
Scholar
#42 Old 17th Mar 2019 at 12:07 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Tacitala
Nope! All the locations have some crazy long quest that involves multiple parts where you need to make someone like you before they will give you the information you need. The longest quest for China will even force you to take a trip to France to get a person to give you information. France is a little better but it still has a few quests that have multiple parts.

I had my Sim JUST go to France for her second vacation, with 5 days to go. Arrives, Adventure pops up, "Hey, uh... my Secret Garden is haunted. Talk to the ghost." Okay, well, that's the Adventure set. Whaddaya want? "Pomegranates..." Only in Egypt. FUDGE!! I JUST came from there! Fine. At least I can let her rest the two days (I don't think I HAVE to wait for the travel moodlet to finish, but I do just in case, and it lets me have her do other stuff at home), then go to Egypt and not only work on that, but keep on working on the MorcuCorps thing.
Field Researcher
#43 Old 17th Mar 2019 at 6:43 PM
I had my Sim JUST go to France for her second vacation, with 5 days to go. Arrives, Adventure pops up, "Hey, uh... my Secret Garden is haunted. Talk to the ghost." Okay, well, that's the Adventure set. Whaddaya want? "Pomegranates..." Only in Egypt. FUDGE!! I JUST came from there! Fine. At least I can let her rest the two days (I don't think I HAVE to wait for the travel moodlet to finish, but I do just in case, and it lets me have her do other stuff at home), then go to Egypt and not only work on that, but keep on working on the MorcuCorps thing.

There are actually pomegranates in the garden of one of the empty houses in France. It took me a couple days to get enough (I think the adventure asks for five?), but it was way faster than going to Egypt again.
Mad Poster
#44 Old 24th Mar 2019 at 10:38 PM
Any idea how I can complete Private Museum LTW alone? I had send a Sim alone without Dungeon Explorer and Seasoned Traveling, as they're recovering trip and thus could not fly with her. Tips and tricks what artificats she should collect and where from, that are considered valuable to the LTW?

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Page 2 of 2