Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Oct 2019 at 9:34 PM
Default Questions about NRAAS Story Progression
So I recently learned that EA's story progression was the reason why my rabbithole jobs break after I travel, so I got NRAAS Story Progression with the hopes of preventing this in the future. I want to know if there's anything I have to do--any options or modules I need--to do so. It really sucks having to turn down all travel-related job quests because of the risk of the rabbithole job completely breaking in the process. I had to delete my last file over this nonsense.

At the same time, however, I noticed NRAAS' story progression is making sims do stuff more. This is actually kind of getting in the way of something I set up--I have a sim who I wanted to get married to someone outside of the household, but story progression made that sim hook up with someone else instead. I heard there's a way to disable story progression for specific sims, but when I looked up a tutorial, it mentioned an option that doesn't exist. ("New Caste") So now I'm kind of at a loss...
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 6th Oct 2019 at 1:06 AM
Not sure about this, but I think a common issue with travel related career opps is that the career needs to exist in the destination world or else the game will see your sim as unemployed once they arrive. Not sure why this would be game-breaking, but at least with the mods we can restore sims into whichever career they belong and at the levels they should be at should something go wrong. That's more of a function of MasterController, though. We can also use DebugEnabler to grant sims completion of opportunities when we feel we have already done everything we were supposed to do but the opp isn't registering as having been completed. It's a bit fussy to use, admittedly.

I just don't bother with career opps that involve world travel, they aren't worth the aggravation (to me) when things like that break and (for me) they don't show up very often.

New Caste creation should be on City Hall and in-game computers under NRaas > SP > Caste Options. What most of us usually do when we spot a sim for whom we want to restrict or deny certain types of progression (romance, in this case) is alter their SP > Sim Options. Or we might set up an "Arranged Marriage," which doesn't really make anyone get married if the active sim is involved, but will prevent the target sim from partnering with anyone else while the "Arrangement" is still active and the player is deciding how things might go (SP Relationship add-on module required).

We can help you tame SP in all kinds of ways a bit more efficiently if you could bring these questions to us at NRaas, though. It's kind of what we are there for. And our developer might have more insight than I can provide into the career opps that have been giving you trouble.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 7th Oct 2019 at 12:03 AM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
Not sure about this, but I think a common issue with travel related career opps is that the career needs to exist in the destination world or else the game will see your sim as unemployed once they arrive. Not sure why this would be game-breaking, but at least with the mods we can restore sims into whichever career they belong and at the levels they should be at should something go wrong. That's more of a function of MasterController, though. We can also use DebugEnabler to grant sims completion of opportunities when we feel we have already done everything we were supposed to do but the opp isn't registering as having been completed. It's a bit fussy to use, admittedly.

I haven't yet discovered how to complete an opportunity with either plugin. Care to elaborate?
Mad Poster
#4 Old 7th Oct 2019 at 12:35 AM
NRaas > DE > Options:Sim (or Smartphone) > Opportunities.

The tricky part is finding the opportunity you are looking for among the many presented. I'm pretty sure this trick cannot be used if the intended opportunity is already in progress, you would have to first dismiss it on the sim.
Scholar
#5 Old 7th Oct 2019 at 3:36 AM
How does SP decide which career to send which inactives into? Right now the leading industry in my homeworld appears to be sports with 11 sims in it. I kind of want to spread them around, but I'm concerned that I'll ruin something if I do.

The Mayflies Legacy- a Random Legacy Story
Mad Poster
#6 Old 7th Oct 2019 at 3:49 AM
Quote: Originally posted by tunafishfish
How does SP decide which career to send which inactives into? Right now the leading industry in my homeworld appears to be sports with 11 sims in it. I kind of want to spread them around, but I'm concerned that I'll ruin something if I do.

There's a number of factors considered, but the ones with the greatest weight that are sim-specific are career-oriented LTWs and traits.

There are also world-specific factors. Sims need bosses and co-workers and SP will look to finding residents to fill those slots first, then allow the game itself to spawn homeless NPCs if the need isn't satisfied and immigration to fill these slots doesn't happen. It's not a perfect system, there can be 11 sims in a particular career and for some reason 9 of them might still be crying out for co-workers. I sometimes use MC to assign co-workers when I see this happening, but sometimes I shrug and provide a second stadium (business building, whatever it is) if the local population is going to be all that interested in certain careers over others.

But being more forceful about it, such as by using MC to shove sims into different careers than their LTWs dictate and sitting on them (SP's Allow Find Job > False) isn't going to ruin anything.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 7th Oct 2019 at 11:51 AM
While we're on the topic of story progression doing weird things, I keep getting messages about couples who want to move in together but "the housing market isn't cooperating." I finally got tired of seeing this message and went to edit town to see if I could add more houses, only to find that there's BAKOODLES of empty houses around town. Why are these sims having so much trouble finding a new home? There's plenty of them!
Scholar
#8 Old 7th Oct 2019 at 2:02 PM
IME this means that someone is going around buying up properties. There's a ton of options for secondary properties in SP, I just can't remember them off the top of my head.

Scholar
#9 Old 7th Oct 2019 at 2:04 PM
Thanks Igazor! I moved 4 sims out to fill other careers like medical, political, and business which only had 2 sims working them a piece. I'll keep a closer eye on where graduating sims are placed from now on.

Mad Poster
#10 Old 7th Oct 2019 at 4:49 PM Last edited by igazor : 7th Oct 2019 at 5:18 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by BlueLeafeon
While we're on the topic of story progression doing weird things, I keep getting messages about couples who want to move in together but "the housing market isn't cooperating." I finally got tired of seeing this message and went to edit town to see if I could add more houses, only to find that there's BAKOODLES of empty houses around town. Why are these sims having so much trouble finding a new home? There's plenty of them!

The available houses need to pass inspection, meaning they must have a refrigerator, a double bed for every couple who is house hunting, a single bed for each child/teen, a crib for each toddler/baby/pregnant sim, a pet bed for each pet. Under Rigorous Inspection, self-employed sims must have career objects available to them. The settings for Inspections can be changed or softened under SP > General Options > Options: Lots > Options: Inspection.

The available houses as viewed through Edit Town must be of lot type Residential-Regular, not (Player) Ownable.

The household moving, or the newly forming household if relevant, must be able to afford the purchase of the new home and be able to afford the property taxes on it going forward. Sims will not move into homes they cannot afford, nor will they want to live too far below their means if the homes are basically four walls, a bed, fridge, and toilet (that's an exaggeration, but sims can be picky when it comes to even mid-range starter homes). Usually though it's affordability. If two sims are already members of other households partner and wish to move in together, they have to be able to come up with enough funds between them that they would be taking away from their existing households, and they can only take a percentage of what the existing households have, to purchase the new home. If they are each currently in a household of one, just themselves, to be blended upon moving in together then this becomes easier for them to manage.

Yet sometimes we can't really figure out why sims don't like the available houses and in some cases I've decided I know better what's good for them and move them in myself one of a number of ways -- for example MasterController to Add Sim them to a new house or play them temporarily to coax them into the real estate transactions and moving in together.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 7th Oct 2019 at 9:35 PM Last edited by BlueLeafeon : 7th Oct 2019 at 9:46 PM.
The available houses need to pass inspection, meaning they must have a refrigerator, a double bed for every couple who is house hunting, a single bed for each child/teen, a crib for each toddler/baby/pregnant sim, a pet bed for each pet. Under Rigorous Inspection, self-employed sims must have career objects available to them. The settings for Inspections can be changed or softened under SP > General Options > Options: Lots > Options: Inspection.

The available houses as viewed through Edit Town must be of lot type Residential-Regular, not (Player) Ownable.

The household moving, or the newly forming household if relevant, must be able to afford the purchase of the new home and be able to afford the property taxes on it going forward. Sims will not move into homes they cannot afford, nor will they want to live too far below their means if the homes are basically four walls, a bed, fridge, and toilet (that's an exaggeration, but sims can be picky when it comes to even mid-range starter homes). Usually though it's affordability. If two sims are already members of other households partner and wish to move in together, they have to be able to come up with enough funds between them that they would be taking away from their existing households, and they can only take a percentage of what the existing households have, to purchase the new home. If they are each currently in a household of one, just themselves, to be blended upon moving in together then this becomes easier for them to manage.

Yet sometimes we can't really figure out why sims don't like the available houses and in some cases I've decided I know better what's good for them and move them in myself one of a number of ways -- for example MasterController to Add Sim them to a new house or play them temporarily to coax them into the real estate transactions and moving in together.

That sounds like a massive pain. Maybe sims should just not get into relationships and stuff and avoid all of that nonsense... The game honestly can't expect me to go into every household and give them everything they could ever want. I play this game to baby MY sims, not AI-controlled ones! lol

EDIT: I went into edit town to see about moving the sims around myself and found out that one of the households I keep getting notifications about has a 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom manor. What the heck! You have space for more people there!
Mad Poster
#12 Old 7th Oct 2019 at 10:59 PM
Sims do not have the ability to purchase furniture, appliances, or anything that cannot go into personal inventory. If a household does not have that which the mod/game thinks they need in these regards, they will seek to move out to a residential lot that better meets their needs. It's not so much a matter of babying them as it is making unoccupied houses more attractive to potential owners. But I actually do run MC's Focus Home Inspection command through City Hall on a regular basis and make inactives purchase what they need (where possible) to bring their existing homes into compliance. If they cannot afford a new bed or whatever might be showing as lacking using that command, or there simply isn't anywhere to put one, then I move on and let SP figure out what to do with the resulting inspection failures.

But we might be addressing the wrong issue here. Sim A lives in a 3 bedroom manor, Sim B lives...somewhere else?...they have partnered up but the game isn't allowing Sim B to join the not-full household? Or have I still got the scenario described all wrong?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#13 Old 8th Oct 2019 at 1:10 AM
Sims do not have the ability to purchase furniture, appliances, or anything that cannot go into personal inventory. If a household does not have that which the mod/game thinks they need in these regards, they will seek to move out to a residential lot that better meets their needs. It's not so much a matter of babying them as it is making unoccupied houses more attractive to potential owners. But I actually do run MC's Focus Home Inspection command through City Hall on a regular basis and make inactives purchase what they need (where possible) to bring their existing homes into compliance. If they cannot afford a new bed or whatever might be showing as lacking using that command, or there simply isn't anywhere to put one, then I move on and let SP figure out what to do with the resulting inspection failures.

But we might be addressing the wrong issue here. Sim A lives in a 3 bedroom manor, Sim B lives...somewhere else?...they have partnered up but the game isn't allowing Sim B to join the not-full household? Or have I still got the scenario described all wrong?

Yes. It kept saying that they wanted to move somewhere else but there was no place for them. I'm assuming it's because one half of the pair was Hetty Lionheart and her 5 cats were the issue, so I edited the husband's house to add pet stuff and then forced them to live together. Haven't heard any complaints since. I do hope that his dog gets along with her five cats though.

On a partially unrelated note, my rabbithole job schedules keep corrupting and I haven't even left town for vacation or anything. Beginning to wonder if NRAAS SP is the culprit, since I literally installed it when I began this file... Thank you, by the way, for telling me that Master Controller can alter careers. That really helped so much with this file, since I've had to quit job and re-apply every time my sims promote.
Mad Poster
#14 Old 8th Oct 2019 at 1:27 AM
Quote: Originally posted by BlueLeafeon
Yes. It kept saying that they wanted to move somewhere else but there was no place for them. I'm assuming it's because one half of the pair was Hetty Lionheart and her 5 cats were the issue, so I edited the husband's house to add pet stuff and then forced them to live together. Haven't heard any complaints since. I do hope that his dog gets along with her five cats though.

On a partially unrelated note, my rabbithole job schedules keep corrupting and I haven't even left town for vacation or anything. Beginning to wonder if NRAAS SP is the culprit, since I literally installed it when I began this file... Thank you, by the way, for telling me that Master Controller can alter careers. That really helped so much with this file, since I've had to quit job and re-apply every time my sims promote.

With Rigorous Inspection and everything on default settings, the couple would have needed to find a house on the market with six pet beds (five for the cats, one for the dog) and likely there were none such available. I sometimes switch off the pet bed requirement because of things like that.

SP has a quadrillion users (slight exaggeration again). It is not known for corrupting job schedules or I would be too busy answering a quadrillion complaints about it at NRaas to be posting here. If you were to bring the issue to us over there though, we might be able to help investigate further.