Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Dec 2008 at 8:45 AM
'Unique' Bridge House
While exploring architecture on youtube, I came across an idea introduced by howtoarchitect which sparked inspiration for building. (he also has a cliff-house video)

"How to design a bridge house"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zI5LF1hCes

I've been trying to recreate this idea in Sims 2. I experimented with the floor elevation cheat on a flat 2 x 3 lot to create a small scale "bridge" structure consisting of one downward curving stage as the arch of a bridge and a flat stage built over it by using shift. However, I've only been able to go so far with my little building knowledge.

I would greatly appreciate help replicating the idea presented in the video. ^^;;

Thanks!

P.S. Will try to post pictures of my experiment later. x_X
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 26th Dec 2008 at 10:29 AM
I do and I don't understand what you are trying to build, some pictures would be nice. I watched the video, are you trying to build the house over a curved bridge? Please let me know and I may try this for myself.

CC4Sims
Love will humiliate you and hate will cradle you.
Jealousy would be far less torturous if we understood that love is a passion entirely unrelated to our merits.
Top Secret Researcher
#3 Old 26th Dec 2008 at 7:35 PM
Are you trying to build a house, similar to this community lot

Retired from the Sims world. Please continue to enjoy my creations. Thank you to everyone who helped -- by either giving me the tools and knowledge to create or by encouraging me & downloading my creations. The Sims community is the BEST!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 26th Dec 2008 at 9:00 PM Last edited by ilikepocky : 26th Dec 2008 at 9:11 PM.

I attempted to make a bridge with two stages, one curved and another above it.

The house would be situated in a similar way shown. >__<

I added another layer, at the very top would be the 'road' for the bridge. The entire house would have to be built at a lower elevation. Underneath is some water.

I haven't found a way to build a house directly on the curve, which I would prefer to do. As for the 'bridge' look shown in the video, I'm currently experimenting with the elevation of small fences attached to the top stage.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 26th Dec 2008 at 9:45 PM
I'm "thinking" you'd have to build the house on your foundation first, then boolprop the arch for the bridges after the main structure is built. I'd have to check this ingame, but that to me seems like the most likely way to achieve the effect you're looking for.

Wait, do you mean you want the house on the same level as road height? I think I'm missing something. There were several bridge homes in that video, which effect are you looking for?

Proud Member of The Sim Supply . Always looking for new members. Newest project, Modern Stuff Pack.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 26th Dec 2008 at 10:08 PM
I will try building the main structure and then constructing the curve.

The effect I'm looking for is this:

With the house supported by the curve of the bridge, or fitting into the structure of the bridge.
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 27th Dec 2008 at 1:24 AM
I see. Yeah, I'd try structure and then boolproping the bridge. Tell me if it works out. You have me curious as hell now. lol.

Proud Member of The Sim Supply . Always looking for new members. Newest project, Modern Stuff Pack.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 27th Dec 2008 at 3:38 AM
Okie dokie! I tried the structuring first, and it seemed to work.

I started with some walls sandwiched in between two stages and formed the arch.

Then I flattened the second stage and added a wall on top of that, deleting the foundation inside the small room.

I added the third stage, but had to redo the wall.

Added a second part to the 'house' and lowered the wall height, then added fences as shown on the bridge.

I began to remove parts of the middle stage to make the building appear more fit in between the arch and the road. At this point, this was the farthest I got in actual building construction.

I began to create the appearance of the bridge by using garden fences, then stretching them out with the floor elevation cheat. The fences extended out one unit on one side, and two units on the other.

This is as far as I was able to go. ^^;;;

Thank you PenChris, your suggestion helped me out A LOT.

Now I have to find a way to extend the building under the curve and set up the beams of the bridge before construction. Suggestions?
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 27th Dec 2008 at 2:56 PM
I'm not quite sure if that's possible, BUT, you might try, after constructing the curve, sledgehammer the inside of the curve (all but on tile on either end) to delete so you can build under the bridge curve. I'm not sure that would work, but you can give it a try. I'd have to play around with it. I've never tried to build a structure like this before.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 27th Dec 2008 at 6:50 PM
Oooo. I see what you mean. I'll try that right now. ^^

If you're experimenting as well, please post pictures of your progress. I'd like to see how others would build this.
Locked thread | Locked by: ThreadMover Reason: Outdated / No Replies