Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#26 Old 24th Nov 2007 at 11:37 PM
This thread isn't really about making shoes, it is about the uv_mapping of shoes and othernew parts that you have added to a mesh.

However, the shoes I made for this are really rather simple -

Briefly, I first cut off the bottom of a Sim's foot to make the sole and sides of the shoe. Then I duplicated just the bottom part, moved it up, and reversed the faces to make the top. The heel was made from a cylinder.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#27 Old 25th Nov 2007 at 1:14 AM
ken Murikumo, sorry if i didn't get it right, lol
but when i want 2 different texture on a same mesh, this is what i do...
i create 2 meshes...than UV map them separately...
then bring them back into Milkshape, group them together, and that's it !
lets say, each UV map was 256 by 256, then my new UV will be 256 by 512, so both previous UV's can be on the same final one...one on top of each other...

sorry, if this is completely not according to the subject...this is what i do for object meshes...:0)

Rosemary :0)

GREAT tutorial Dr pixel ! THANKS !...if you do a pdf version, I'll sure grab it !

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Lab Assistant
#28 Old 19th Dec 2007 at 12:49 PM
I just used this to UV map a spiked collar. This was soooo helpful. I thank you for writting this.

Your Grandma Loves Me.
Lab Assistant
#29 Old 30th Dec 2007 at 1:47 PM
I have a question.... How do I import the mesh as an .OBJ file? (it may sound really stupid, but I dunno how ._.')

Anyway, it's a really useful tutorial! ^^
The ModFather
retired moderator
#30 Old 30th Dec 2007 at 7:35 PM
You can import an OBJ file in Milkshape using the menu File / Import / Wavefron OBJ.
However, this tutorial requires that you only work with Milkshape, not with external editors. This is required because all the meshes related to the sim body must be properly assigned to the body joints; and if you work in OBJ format, you will lose the joint assignment (alas, the shoes won't move along with the feet).

Of course, you can import an OBJ and then manually assign the vertices to the right joints, but it's not very easy (especially when working with a body skeleton, that is composed by a lot of joints).

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Lab Assistant
#31 Old 1st Jan 2008 at 3:59 PM
Ummm... That's bad ._. I don't have experience enough to do such a thing, and if YOU say that's difficult, I won't even try >.< *sweatdrops*

Is there any problem that I do all the UV Mapping like in this tutorial, but save the file as .MS3D, and then attaching to the "main" mesh?
The ModFather
retired moderator
#32 Old 1st Jan 2008 at 10:15 PM
The .MS3D format isn't recognized by SimPE: you can't import it in the package.

The correct procedure for clothings, hair and - in general - bodyshop stuff (and animated objects, too) is:
1) Export the entire GMDC from SimPE (right-click on the GMDC -> Extract)
2) Import it in Milkshape using the Unimesh plugin
3) Edit the mesh and UVmapping in MS
4) Export the edited mesh from MS using the Unimesh plugin
5) Replace the entire GMDC in SimPE with the one exported from MS.

None of the steps above can be done using the OBJ format.
It *is* possible to import an external mesh made in OBJ format during step 3; but then, you have to assign the vertices of the imported mesh to the various joints.
When working with an animated object, the procedure is quite easy (there are usually 3-4 joints to deal with); but the sim skeleton is composed by many joints (never counted them all, lol!) and a manual assignment is difficult.

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#33 Old 2nd Jan 2008 at 1:24 AM
IF you are just importing shoes - and not entire parts of the body - then the joint assignments are not overly complex and can be done by hand with some patience and testing.

If you wanted to make say, and entirely new body (like based on some 3d model you saw) that would be hard, as we're then talking 1500-2500 or more vertices to assign, and some of them have complex assignments.

All you do is START with your base gmdc body (that has bone assignments and a skeleton). Then import the obj, and do work similar to the 3rd tutorial. You will have to do all the bone assignments by hand for the obj part you imported.

"Undertake something that is difficult; it will do you good. Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow." - Ronald E. Osborn

Please do NOT PM me with requests, creation questions, or game help questions. Click for help:
Game Help | Create | Content List | Where Can I Find?
Lab Assistant
#34 Old 3rd Jan 2008 at 4:36 PM
Actually, what I really want is: I "made" a belt accessory, but I want to it be "in" the Shorts mesh that I made too, so it wouldn't be only an accessory. I already mapped it like in this tutorial, so that's why I asked how I could attach this piece to the main mesh ^^'
If I export it as a SimPE file, than go to my MS3D mesh file, and import the belt there to put it together, it will be right?
Test Subject
#35 Old 4th May 2009 at 5:14 AM
Hi Dr. Pixel, i have a question

I havent a clue where to start with shoes and i was wondering where do i start?

Thanks.
p.s. i know its probably in the wrong posting area too.
Test Subject
#36 Old 31st May 2011 at 3:47 PM
So, I made a mesh and I just need to UV-Map it now. But when I click region and try to draw a region box nothing happens. Anyone know why? Did I skip a step or something? Is it Because in my texture coordinator I just have a gray space instead of a texture loaded?
Sockpuppet
#37 Old 31st May 2011 at 4:12 PM
You always need to load a texture first
select all meshgroups(faces, not vertices)
Go to materials tab
click new
click none(top one)
browse to a txt file
click assign

In the texture coordinator
select the meshgroup(part) you want to map
click region
draw a rectangle
pick the angle...uh(front/back/right/bottom or left)
remap
Page 2 of 2