Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Aug 2018 at 10:42 PM
Default When did you get into custom content?
Custom content was much like a VIP exclusive thing to me. It seemed like only the elite could have it. I discovered it in either 2009 or 2010 but didn’t learn how to sucessfully download it until 2013.

When did you first discover CC/mods?

22. male. he/him. autistic.
REST IN PEACE JOTARO KUJO. JUNE 2020 - JANUARY 2021.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 6th Aug 2018 at 10:59 PM
Back in the days of exchangeland, I downloaded tons of crappy custom content from packaged sims and lots since I didn't know you could get CC from other sites like this one. This lasted for about a year until I had such a broken game from partially-downloaded mods that came included in lots that I would then place into my neighborhoods, tons of broken meshes and textures, etc. and then I finally deleted all my CC and found MTS, parsimonious, raonjena, T$R, simlogical, etc. I miss the days of TS2 writers hangout, RIP
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 6th Aug 2018 at 11:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Modder
Back in the days of exchangeland, I downloaded tons of crappy custom content from packaged sims and lots since I didn't know you could get CC from other sites like this one. This lasted for about a year until I had such a broken game from partially-downloaded mods that came included in lots that I would then place into my neighborhoods, tons of broken meshes and textures, etc. and then I finally deleted all my CC and found MTS, parsimonious, raonjena, T$R, simlogical, etc. I miss the days of TS2 writers hangout, RIP

HAHAHA , “ T$R “ ..... ive never seen it written like that before. thats good.

yeah back when i first tried to get CC i’d go to these like, really flashy websites that had a lot of scene models

Forum Resident
#4 Old 6th Aug 2018 at 11:17 PM
When I joined this website
Though I have a way more clean download folder today

I build small houses *^*
Mad Poster
#5 Old 6th Aug 2018 at 11:18 PM
All I remember is that the first thing I ever installed was some default eyes from TSR, which was the only Sims site I knew about at the time. I actually still use those eyes.
Forum Resident
#6 Old 6th Aug 2018 at 11:29 PM
I think I googled for something (like 'how to do x' within the game) because I was super new to simming. I had played TS1 as a really really young kid (my dad had it) and then when TS3 came out, it revived my interest in it, but I was in grad school by then, and bought TS2 thinking it was the same one I'd had as a kid. So I started playing just vanilla. I slowly learned about each expansion pack, and then I think I googled 'grocery store' or something like that trying to figure out how to build one in game, and came across the entire world of cc on MTS. The rest was history. Once I realised you could download cute things for the game I was hooked. It took me like a week to work out that I could change the default skins and eyes and once I did that I defaulted ALL OF THE THINGS and was off and running with a metric ton of stuff. Now I can't even look at pictures of a vanilla game it looks so weird to me!
Link Ninja
#7 Old 6th Aug 2018 at 11:34 PM
As soon as I saw it someone else's game in a pic I immediately set off to discover cc for myself. This was probably around 2005. I've been collecting it since then and slowly adding it to every catalog, and even mods. The ones I haven't tried out yet that seem pretty popular are custom careers, foods, or lighting mods.

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#8 Old 6th Aug 2018 at 11:43 PM
I think I started with exchange crap in 2006. All shoved into one folder full of gobbledegook files. I joined MTS in 2007 for downloads, I didn't even realize there was a forum for years.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
#9 Old 6th Aug 2018 at 11:56 PM
I started playing The Sims and - a few years later - The Sims 2 when The Sims 3 was already getting their last expansions, so CC was easy to find. I immediately started to use it. I'm not even sure how I found my first piece of CC, but it must have been a TS basegame thing.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 7th Aug 2018 at 12:02 AM Last edited by AndrewGloria : 7th Aug 2018 at 1:04 AM.
About two days before I started to play!

Before I ever got the game I had stumbled across MTS, TSR and Insimenator, when looking for real life stuff on Google. I wanted to get the Sims after seeing videos on YouTube. When I loaded up Body Shop I couldn't see the male clothes I had seen on YouTube, so I guessed they must be CC. And I started Googling for them. And while was at it, I started doing alpha edits and simple recolours in Body Shop. So when my very first Sim Andrew Jones came into the world he was already wearing downloaded CC swimming trunks and a not-very-good pair of underpants I had made myself. But at least he never had to wear Maxis "passion-killer" undies!

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#11 Old 7th Aug 2018 at 12:23 AM
Well, my TS1 folders were stuffed with CC and I was particularly fond of mods and hacks. And then in 2004, they released this game and a site called mod the sims 2 started up just before release. I was over here like a shot and actually joined the site in November of 2004. The game was released on 14th September but an early version of Bodyshop was available before that and I'd already been downloading new skins (I still have one or two I think).

Ugh those Andrew - yes, I think I had CC underwear pretty much off the bat.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
#12 Old 7th Aug 2018 at 1:02 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 7th Aug 2018 at 1:12 AM.
I joined this site and Insim in March 2006, about 3 months after I got the game, so I'm guessing roundabout there. Possibly sooner, because I can see evidence of having used the Insimenator mod quite early, in some old pictures I've got laying around. I can't remember exactly how I got into CC, though. It's been over 12 years, so my memory is quite foggy. I got into making CC late 2007 when I fell in love with infant default outfits (I'd dabbled in some simple recoloring earlier, without too much interest - but that's when my learning curve shot to the air like fireworks).

Sometime in 2006 I guess I also learned the value of organizing my CC better, because I suddenly had some 10 000 files I'd dumped into the Downloads folder, and I had no clue what was what.
Theorist
#13 Old 7th Aug 2018 at 1:12 AM
Well, since I had played TS1 from the day it was released, I was already very aware of custom content and knew it would not take creators long to start making it for TS2 after its release. So, I basically started downloading content for TS2 as soon as it was available. The love of custom content has been strong in this one for a very, very long time now.

A few of my favorite sites back then were Sim Freak, 7 Deadly Sims, Simslice, The Sims Resource and Well Dressed Sim. I did not really get into forums like MTS and GoS until after returning to playing TS2 in 2011.

“Seize the time... Live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.” ― Jean-Luc Picard
Meet Me In My Next Life
#14 Old 7th Aug 2018 at 1:42 AM
When I first learn how to set up customs in my game so they would show up, I wasted no time downloading customs everything, it really make a big different in your game along with mods.
I would say it started way back in 2006 around that time I discover and started playing the Sims.

"Nothing in life is a Surprise it just happen to come your way at the time".
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#15 Old 7th Aug 2018 at 1:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by OnayaW
When I joined this website
Though I have a way more clean download folder today

my downloads folder is sooo messy, though i do keep a seperate folder for the actual downloads (like the zip files and stuff) so if a file is corrupted, i can just source back to the name and delete it.

.... then i discovered you can delete CC in-game so what i was doing was kinda useless

Scholar
#16 Old 7th Aug 2018 at 1:54 AM
January 2017, when Jo and Justpetro persuaded me that I really ought to get at least the essential mods. Although I'm not sure I could be said to be "into it" even now: I only have about 450 Mb of downloads, and it's almost all mods with very little CC.

I was a member of MTS for years prior to that, as I'd found it several times when looking for solutions to issues, but the "you must do 50/50 with all mods/CC before you post on here for help" gave me the impression that mods were fundamentally dangerous to use so I never downloaded any. Now, of course, we know just how borked the vanilla game is, and that mods are actually necessary to protect it.
Field Researcher
#17 Old 7th Aug 2018 at 2:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by BlueAlien
January 2017, when Jo and Justpetro persuaded me that I really ought to get at least the essential mods. Although I'm not sure I could be said to be "into it" even now: I only have about 450 Mb of downloads, and it's almost all mods with very little CC.

Anyway, lessee... I think I first got into CC around the time I first got Seasons, but it's been long enough that I don't remember the details.
Screenshots

WARNING: Professional Lurker Alert!
Quote:
"Ew, trees [WooHoo-ing]."

-- "Oral Pollination", Not Always Right
Top Secret Researcher
#18 Old 7th Aug 2018 at 3:37 AM
I still miss some TS1 cc sites so cc has always been a part of my game. I am a relative newcomer to mods though. I was wary of them for some time, fearing they'd break my game. I still don't have that many compared to others.
Scholar
#19 Old 7th Aug 2018 at 4:26 AM
I think I really got into it around 2009-ish when I saw someone's pictures on here and then discovered their blog. It made me really get inspired.
Instructor
#20 Old 7th Aug 2018 at 4:34 AM
I remember the main family in my first custom 'hood having cc eyes (the same set I still use, only geneticized and townified), and their first child was, as a teen, being able of adopting a child. So I guess I got into cc by the simming friend I had back then, 2008 or 2009. She would bring her computer to my home and we would just play the whole day, side by side, occasionally looking at each other's game and pointing out beautiful downloads to eachother.
Mad Poster
#21 Old 7th Aug 2018 at 8:07 AM
I discovered CC at the very end of Sims 1. All I had there were a few outfits, but when I discovered that you could get it for Sims 2 as well I went crazy. XD
Scholar
#22 Old 7th Aug 2018 at 9:00 AM
I discovered cc during TS1 and had lots of cc from places like Fionn's boutique and Cheap Frills. I joined MATY and Modthesims when they first started up. And I made some cc for TS2 myself by painstakingly following tutorials.

Paladins/SimWardrobes downloads: https://simfileshare.net/folder/87849/
Instructor
#23 Old 7th Aug 2018 at 9:28 AM
I think it was around 2006/2007(so I was 14)... I remember at the time I didn't have Internet at home, and one of my cousins had this old Italian magazine about TS2, full of articles about Uni and NL and they also advertised some CC by Edenstyle/Sims2Cri (two of the most important Italian websites, at the time).
I was so fascinated by the idea of website dedicated to simming thatI wanted to checkthem so badly, althogh at the time I didn't have internet at my place yet. Since it was summer-time I'd go to my father's work place and use a very old pc (with Widows 95 still on it XD) to check the website... I'll never forget the first time I saw a piece of custom hair, it was like Christmas day... I wanted so badly in my game that I think I downloaded 30/40 new things and copied into about 10 floppy disks - if I think about it know, I found it hilarious
Then, of course, with missing meshes, wrong files etc. half of the files weren't working, but who cared at the time .
Mad Poster
#24 Old 7th Aug 2018 at 12:06 PM
I first started playing in 2006. Someone told me about this custom content thing, and recommended this and another site. I started with recolors first about a month or so later.

I now have almost 5 gigs of CC, and I'm still a fixture here. Blame the person who told me about this site.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Mad Poster
#25 Old 7th Aug 2018 at 3:29 PM
When I first started playing Sims 1. I immediately started to download mods, hacks and skins. I still have them, too-in case I ever want to play it again. Ah, the good old days!

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Page 1 of 2