Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Inventor
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Jul 2018 at 10:35 PM
Default Mutant Registration
Apologies if this is against rules.

Let's pretend that mutants, like those in X-Men are real. In the first movie, the topic of mutant registration is brought up. What are your thoughts on the subject? Which side are you on, pro or con?

I think it would be okay to have mutant registration where only the government/justice system has mutants and their powers documented in some way. That way if a mutant uses their powers to commit a crime, police could use it to find and/or convict the culprit.

Example: If Mystique impersonated someone but that person had a rock solid alibi, a mutant registry might help give an idea who the culprit could be.
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 28th Jul 2018 at 2:38 AM
You do realize that X-men was created in light of the civil rights era. With Mutants representing blacks and how they were viewed in society right?

Erasing One Big Astounding Mistake All-around
Instructor
#3 Old 28th Jul 2018 at 11:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Amish Nick_SC
You do realize that X-men was created in light of the civil rights era. With Mutants representing blacks and how they were viewed in society right?

How is that relevant to the question at hand? Black people don't have superhuman powers that can cause mass destruction.

Answering the original question: probably not. How are you supposed to know someone is a mutant? If they were found guilty of a crime, though, their information would be stored like anyone else's.
Scholar
#4 Old 29th Jul 2018 at 7:38 PM
Well if the state already has our blood type and our fingerprints, I don't really see the problem with them also knowing which people are mutants; the objective is the same- identify the individual. Since they're already listening to all our phone calls and watching pretty much everything we can do, all we can really hope for is that they don't abuse their power with all the information that they have about the people.
Instructor
#5 Old 30th Jul 2018 at 2:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Noa1500
Well if the state already has our blood type and our fingerprints, I don't really see the problem with them also knowing which people are mutants; the objective is the same- identify the individual. Since they're already listening to all our phone calls and watching pretty much everything we can do, all we can really hope for is that they don't abuse their power with all the information that they have about the people.

I don't know where you live, but that's not a thing in Canada.
Scholar
#6 Old 30th Jul 2018 at 3:04 PM
Are we talking identification or phone taps?
The requirements for biometric passports and ids seem to differ between countries.
For nationality 1 (also the country I live in): both index fingers were used for my id passport. They know everything else about you anyway.
For nationality 2: was required to provide my blood group as well as get both hands scanned. I found this mildly unsettling at first because I've only been there a handful of times, but at this point I'm beyond caring cos once again they know everything about you.

The important part is that no one assumes your identity, which is why if mutants were a thing and had to register, that info should be protected in the same way.
Instructor
#7 Old 2nd Aug 2018 at 1:07 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Noa1500
Are we talking identification or phone taps?
The requirements for biometric passports and ids seem to differ between countries.
For nationality 1 (also the country I live in): both index fingers were used for my id passport. They know everything else about you anyway.
For nationality 2: was required to provide my blood group as well as get both hands scanned. I found this mildly unsettling at first because I've only been there a handful of times, but at this point I'm beyond caring cos once again they know everything about you.

The important part is that no one assumes your identity, which is why if mutants were a thing and had to register, that info should be protected in the same way.

Wow. I'm in Canada, and I just had a photo taken of my face for my passport.