Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Sep 2018 at 2:20 PM Last edited by vegan_kaktus : 26th May 2020 at 12:13 PM.
Default WCIF Targas Transparent water fix AL?
I've had Targa's ''Transparent water'' hack in my game since forever, but three days ago my sims started crashing whenever I tried going to the last page under deco - misc. After days I finally found out it was this transparent water hack which caused my game to crash. I went back to the original upload here, and apparently, the hack isn't compatible with AL (idk why it worked for me for so long and started acting up now but oh well). Tristan111 uploaded an AL fix for the hack in the comment section but when I try to download it, I get an ''404 Not Found'' error. So my question is, does anyone have this file and/or know where I can download it? Tristan111 hasn't been active since 2009 so I figured he won't answer me if I send him an message.

(Idk if I'm allowed to ask this here, since the hack is uploaded to sexysims, but sexysims don't have a forum section so..)
Advertisement
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#2 Old 13th Sep 2018 at 6:42 PM Last edited by maxon : 13th Sep 2018 at 10:40 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by vegan_kaktus
I've had Targa's ''Transparent water'' hack in my game since forever, but three days ago my sims started crashing whenever I tried going to the last page under deco - misc. After days I finally found out it was this transparent water hack which caused my game to crash. I went back to the original upload here, and apparently, the hack isn't compatible with AL (idk why it worked for me for so long and started acting up now but oh well). Tristan111 uploaded an AL fix for the hack in the comment section but when I try to download it, I get an ''404 Not Found'' error. So my question is, does anyone have this file and/or know where I can download it? Tristan111 hasn't been active since 2009 so I figured he won't answer me if I send him an message.

(Idk if I'm allowed to ask this here, since the hack is uploaded to sexysims, but sexysims don't have a forum section so..)

Yes, one of the fountains - or no, it's the fish tank - isn't added to the relevant BCON I think - I've been meaning to fix it for ages.

Edit: and dammit, now I can't find the file.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#3 Old 13th Sep 2018 at 11:08 PM
Do you still need this mod? What does it do? Perhaps some of the newer water mods will achieve what you want without the crashing. if its for nice looking sea and pond water there is now Voeille's. http://modthesims.info/d/587597

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#4 Old 14th Sep 2018 at 2:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Do you still need this mod? What does it do? Perhaps some of the newer water mods will achieve what you want without the crashing. if its for nice looking sea and pond water there is now Voeille's. http://modthesims.info/d/587597

It's not that kind of mod - it's one that makes bathwater and fishtanks clear.

Edit - found it again. It's not a mod as I thought but a default replacement. There must be something about the large fish tank (I'm pretty sure it is that) that causes this to crash. I'll try testing it tomorrow.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#5 Old 14th Sep 2018 at 3:24 AM
Ah okay, are the fish tanks not already clear? I better take a closer look.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#7 Old 14th Sep 2018 at 2:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Ah okay, are the fish tanks not already clear? I better take a closer look.

I'm wondering if the AL one shares resources. I'll try and look at it today.

Quote: Originally posted by HugeLunatic
I'm wondering why it was on sexysims. lol

Because naked I guess! Who can say?

The mod replaces water textures in baths but I think I identified the large seawater fishtank from AL as causing the crashing issue though I'm not entirely certain it's that. I based it on a guess from where it crashed in the catalogue. The mod also has the LIFOs for those resources - HL are those really needed for a default?

Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#8 Old 14th Sep 2018 at 6:42 PM
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#9 Old 14th Sep 2018 at 11:15 PM
Naked fish! >covers eyes<

~Call me Jo~
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#10 Old 15th Sep 2018 at 2:48 AM Last edited by maxon : 15th Sep 2018 at 3:03 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by HugeLunatic
LIFO's are not needed. Just make sure the TXTR has the large image. A texture image should not cause crashing.

Yeah I thought so about the LIFOs - it was made a good while back. Thanks for the info. I'm yet to test, I'll try it over the weekend. I'm puzzled by the crash too but I had the same issue as the OP.

Also, the comments on the thread and the fix (404-ing) mentioned also confirm what I thought - it seems to be the big fishtank from AL which is borrowing water textures from the base game bathtub.

Forum Resident
Original Poster
#11 Old 15th Sep 2018 at 5:02 PM
I'm sorry for responding late, I completely forgot to check this thread ^^;

If it's a default replacement, wouldn't it be possible to create a new one and ''update'' it to AL? Or is it more complex than that? Or maybe that's what maxon is trying to do? (sorry I'm such a noob haha)
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#12 Old 15th Sep 2018 at 8:13 PM
It's one of the resources that is the problem - whether you updated it or made it new, it would still clash.

The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#13 Old 17th Sep 2018 at 7:18 PM Last edited by maxon : 27th Apr 2020 at 6:15 PM.
So I had a look at this and it's definitely the FT Aquabox Aquarium (60 gallon version). I suspect what the issue is that the aquarium is using the original bathwater texture and animating its surface with this. I would guess that the problem is that the original texture is DX1 format and the default replacement is DX3 (in order for it to be transparent). The bizarre thing is that you can only see the water surface of the aquarium from a low camera angle - the sort of camera angle you get with a camera mod so why they animated in the first place is anyone's guess. With the default camera, I don't think you'd ever see it.

I think the best approach to get it all to work is to actually default the aquarium and then set it to use the original textures but with new ID numbers (so the bathtubs can continue to use the clear water version). I don't know if you have any thoughts on that @HugeLunatic ?

27 April 2020 - I forgot to come back here and post a link to the fix I made: https://littlecarping.com/mybb/showthread.php?tid=30. I made that some time ago - so if anyone is interested in this little mod - the linked version works it seems.