Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
#101 Old 6th Jan 2010 at 12:13 AM
Quote: Originally posted by PuX- 80's
This debate idea was introduced by Delphy after a couple bags of poo where thrown in a WCIF thread :P

Debate Question(s):
-Should children (under 13) play Sims 2?

-How old were you when you started Sims (1 or 2)?

-Has the idea of 'WooHoo' or kissing (in game) effected you mentaly (visualy, physicaly,etc.)?

Please refrain from throwing all flaming bags of poo.
:D

A. I think they should if their parents watch over them.

B. It's been a long time since I've played Sims 1 when I graduated early. When I play the sims 2, I was 18.

C. When I was 17, that what happens to every teenager before 18 in some areas. I went to the adult website....and have to wait until I was 18 because I have to pay for it. Now I have several sims screwing like screwdrivers into the walls in the Sims 2. No comment about Sephiroth and his kids.

God, please protect me from your idiot followers for they have blinded themselves with bleach.

Money doesn't buy you happiness but it buys you beer and coffee.

Life is like Go. Its takes smart and amoral people to make decisions based on their strategies of living.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#102 Old 6th Jan 2010 at 3:54 PM
Should children (under 13) play Sims 2?
I see nothing wrong with it. Of course parents etc could try to keep their game free from adult content, but that would require mods that you really need to look for to get in your game

How old were you when you started Sims (1 or 2)?
I was about 10 when I started playing TS1 and some of its expansion packs at a friends'. I loved it and was beside myself with joy when I got my own game copy :p

Has the idea of 'WooHoo' or kissing (in game) effected you mentaly (visualy, physicaly,etc.)?
No, it might be because I didn't grow up in a conservative environment, but by age 11 I knew what kissing was and I also knew what they really meant by that silly little euphemism called 'WooHoo'

(()) Pass the ribbon around if you know someone that
//\\ has survived, died, or is living with cancer..

Grandpa Joost 1996 †
Lab Assistant
#103 Old 6th Jan 2010 at 10:18 PM
I was about 9 when my dad first brought me The Sims, and 12 when I got TS2. I don't see why children under 13 shouldn't play Sims, provided that their games are free of 18+ cc.
I also don't recall the game causing me any mental damage, because kissing and WooHoo really weren't the things that interested me back then, I used the game mostly for building fancy mansions and creating countless different sims.
Test Subject
#104 Old 8th Jan 2010 at 8:35 PM
I got the TS2 when i was 7 and if take a look at the oginal Sims 2 box it says 7+
But i got the expantion packs when I was about 9 so I think it was kids between 10-12 should play but it depens on how grown-up you are and how mentaly matuer you are and when I got the sims 2 I had a grown up supervise me
Banned
#105 Old 1st Feb 2010 at 12:25 AM
Well, I was 5 when I started, and my parents didn't really care. I've played worse (M-Rated) games at age 7 (I was really mature for my age, I could comprehend Anne Rice and Dean Koontz like an adult), so I think it really depends not on the parents but on the maturity level of the child. It took my friend until she was 10 to even comprehend what was going on in The Sims Online, and I started playing that at age 7. I watched the Simpsons, the news, and played games like Halo and Call of Duty and had no mental issues. Even my teachers were surprised when on a 3rd grade test they asked me why apples are different colours, and I gave the reply "because it depends on the quality, grade and type of the apple. If all apples were one colour, they'd all be one taste, which would hinder recipes like apple cider and apple pie useless because they use special apples." I learned the whole 'different apple' thing from Seasons, as well as many other things like dominant and recessive genes (that was in grade 4 I think), so I think that if you really look at it, it's more an educational tool of sorts. It teaches you about life, jobs, families, cultures, genes, food, skills, among other things. I watched a sim make grilled cheese in grade three and made it myself perfectly the next day.

5 for TS1, 7 for TSO, 11 for TS2.

Has the idea of 'WooHoo' or kissing (in game) effected you mentaly (visualy, physicaly,etc.)?

No. It was just a social interaction to me when I was little, but in truth, it has made me a better kisser!
Inventor
#106 Old 2nd Feb 2010 at 8:02 PM
I think as long as they understand how to play the game (like, basic controls - how to make a family, move them in ect.) then it shouldn't matter how old they are.
I was in about year 7 when I started playing The Sims 1 on PC, but I played The Sims 1 on PS2 before then, dunno how old, quite young.
As for Kissing and WooHoo... Kissing to have babies annoyed me because I knew there was more to it than that to get a baby (I know there was the Love Bed but I don't think I used it until after I'd already played Sims 2 XD), so, when WooHoo happened I thought that was cool.

When I have kids, I plan to be open with them about sex (not TOO open, but when they ask me things I think they can understand I will tell them) Because lack of education about the subjects is how kids end up being parents... So I'll have no problem with them playing Sims 2 (probably 3, maybe 4 by then XD) Even with "WooHoo" in the game, in fact, it'll probably give me something to work off of when trying to explain it to them XD
Mad Poster
#107 Old 18th Feb 2010 at 1:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by PuX- 80's

Debate Question(s):

Probably not. It was given a Teen rating for a reason. I leave that up to individual parents to decide.

However, I have no problem having my 8-year-old son watch. He has a speech and developmental delay, and having him watch and do a running commentary helps with his speech. But--if my Sims are about to WooHoo, I send him off to play with something else.

For some reason, he gets an absolute kick out of watching toddlers have a hissy fit in their cribs! "Baby throwing a fit!" he says gleefully.

Quote:

I will be 37 next weekend. I picked up Sims Life Stories last fall to try it out. Now in addition, I have Double Deluxe and the Best of Business Collection. I'm addicted!

Quote:
-Has the idea of 'WooHoo' or kissing (in game) effected you mentaly (visualy, physicaly,etc.)?

Not really. I'm a Christian that plays the game, and I think it's okay because it isn't graphic...just the bed moving around. I seldom if ever play any Romance Sims, and if I do, I don't let them stray! (Or I let a pre-made Sim get caught on purpose. Hey--my Sims!) If anything I'd give a Sim a Pleasure aspiration, since it's no big deal to let them play darts or jump on the couch like a complete nut! And they can have dream dates with their spouse.

At least they haven't felt the wrath of Mrs. Crumplebottom yet!
Instructor
#108 Old 21st Feb 2010 at 6:26 PM
Debate Question(s):
-Should children (under 13) play Sims 2? it really depends on the parents trust with their children the game blurs any form of nudity and kissing is one thing parents do but the woohoo thing is another subject that the parents should determine i mean its not like theyre doing it and its showing the whole thing but it really depends on the childs maturity

-How old were you when you started Sims (1 or 2)? i started in 6th grade with sims 1 and on my 13th b-day i started the sims 2

-Has the idea of 'WooHoo' or kissing (in game) effected you mentaly (visualy, physicaly,etc.)? never, i know its fake and i could care less and i never make my sims woohoo (my younger siblings watch me play)
:cylon:

:D[/QUOTE]

(◐ω◑)
What kind of Sim loves like this?
(◐ω◑)
Lab Assistant
#109 Old 21st Feb 2010 at 11:52 PM
Under 13 playing the sims2...well I really don't see too much wrong with it actually. Yes there is woohoo, but without custom content you see a blur. Real life flirting and horseplay of relatives and their spouses around their kids amounts to about the same. The rating I guess deals with the customizing of this game...an adult can get quite kinky with their collection should they choose...but likewise with a child I suppose you could limit that amount and even probably mod away woohoo?. Base game seems harmless enough. However with sims1 :PS2 bustin out console there are mature elements and mature goals, mild to me but to a child perhaps not...I think I would keep my kid from that particular one.

To me normal night programs on t.v. and certain fashion dolls would seem more offensive than this game.

How old were you when you started Sims (1 or 2)? As for age starting these games...I suppose my mid 30's . I started on consoles.

Has the idea of 'WooHoo' or kissing (in game) effected you mentally (visually, physically,etc.)? Yeah, sometimes it makes me wish I could get a date :P
But no, not in a bad sense it hasn't.
Lab Assistant
#110 Old 16th Mar 2010 at 12:58 AM
Quote:

It depends. I think younger children should play the PS versions, the ones that are more unrealistic.

Quote:

I was introduced to Sims 2 (PS2 version) by my 14-year-old cousin. He gave me a copy when I was roughly 7 years of age. I loved it. I got Sims 1 (PS2 Version as well) when I was 9. On my 10 b-day, I got The Sims 2 Double Deluxe and The Sims 2 Pets for PC. After 2 years, I got two more expansion packs. I'm currently 12 going on 13, and my parents have never had a problem with me playing it. Hell, my 8-year-old cousin plays Grand Theft Auto, kills crack whores and pimps, and steals flying bikes.

Quote:

No, but the fact that gay Sims are allowed freaked me out at first. Then I went wild with it. Everabodah waz gah! :D

Don't worry; my avatar is meant as a compliment. :)
Top Secret Researcher
#111 Old 16th Mar 2010 at 1:38 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ElizabethTerry
I'm currently 12 going on 13, and my parents have never had a problem with me playing it.

Security! We've got a 12 in the building!
Banned
#112 Old 27th Mar 2010 at 8:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Charley-x

"could you stop kissing please, your affecting me mentally."

I think the phrase you're looking for is "get a room!" :P
Moderator of Extreme Limericks
#113 Old 27th Mar 2010 at 10:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simbalena
Security! We've got a 12 in the building!

Psst.... there's a report button for a reason! It makes the moderators' lives much easier when we don't have to hunt for messages like this. This is me glaring sternly at you: -.-

Anyway, message received. Thanks for the heads up.

There's always money in the banana stand.
Forum Resident
#114 Old 28th Mar 2010 at 12:10 AM
I haven't been able to play it until recently because of the woohoo. I'm 15, I started last august I do have some "questionable" CC, namely no pixel/blur and realistic skin. I finally told my parents "I'm buying this, take it away from me if you want to, I'm getting it, Double Deluxe is out, I'm buying". I think though, as with all sex in the media, A, depends on the kid, and B, keep it to there level. I saw 'Ghost' before I knew what they were "doing", and I was confused as heck. As for violence, once again, no hard rule, i think it depends. My BFF saw Aliens when she was like 5, and has never seen it since because it scared her so bad, she's 25. I saw alien when I was 7 and was fine. It all depends on the child, i think. I do think sex is to be private, but to me, the sims keeps that balance very well. I draw manga, and sometimes people woohoo, make it obvious what's happening, but you don't HAVE to show any private areas, and you don't HAVE to show every touch, every detail. Why waste 8 minutes of a movie anyway?

Where does the pain come?
Where does it start?
I know not...
For I have no heart...
Top Secret Researcher
#115 Old 29th Mar 2010 at 2:57 AM
Quote: Originally posted by jhd1189
Psst.... there's a report button for a reason! It makes the moderators' lives much easier when we don't have to hunt for messages like this. This is me glaring sternly at you: -.-

Yeah sorry about that... would have reported it but was a little drunk so I was just trying to keep my head down and stay out of trouble!
Test Subject
#116 Old 5th Apr 2010 at 1:45 AM
Should childern under 13 play sims2
depends on the kid
How old when you were when you started playing sims(1 or 2)
Has the idea of wooho or Kissing in the game affected you at all.
Nope but I laughed whe I had sim life stories I had them woohoo so many times they died lol. I didn't know that would happen i just kept clicking it.
Forum Resident
#117 Old 5th Apr 2010 at 1:48 AM Last edited by lovetadraw : 5th Apr 2010 at 1:58 AM.
Yeah, I think the WooHoo is a perfect representation of sex. Like I've said, you should know what's happening, W/O showing gennies. (genitals) At least til your older. Right now My Bother got Heavy Rain and I can't watch certain parts because of butts, boobs, nothing full frontal, a dude takes a shower and a girl does too. Did they have to show it? No. Will it make me into a GaGa-esque sex maniac? No. I can't wait till I'm 18 so I can play it!

FYI,

I could be very mistaken. I am a virgin. But, from what my knowledge is, this is my stance. I could be wrong though. I'm also a romanticist, Phrases such as "innocent Lusts", and stupid stuff like that pop up in the manga I do.

Hopefully this won't get me yelled at, but if you'd like to see some of my work, check out this HERE

Where does the pain come?
Where does it start?
I know not...
For I have no heart...
Instructor
#118 Old 5th Apr 2010 at 9:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Dreamer14111
S
Nope but I laughed whe I had sim life stories I had them woohoo so many times they died lol.

Death by woohoo? That's a new one!
Lab Assistant
#119 Old 5th Apr 2010 at 4:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by grumpy_otter
Death by woohoo? That's a new one!

Hmm, this isn't good news for Don Lothario.

Hiya!
Test Subject
#120 Old 12th Apr 2010 at 9:45 PM
My youngest brother who was four at the time played the sims on the ps2 then I got in for the computer, but he didn't know what that was and never asked, plus all he did was make a family and he would get bored really fast.

I started when I was in middle school, 7th grade so maybe about 11 or 12

No, I seem rated r movies so I already knew what when on under there.
Banned
#121 Old 18th Apr 2010 at 5:43 AM
I did.. I started when I was six or seven, personally. I found nothing wrong with it. As long as they're mature enough, of course they can.

Six or seven years old. I can't really remember.

Has the idea of 'WooHoo' or kissing (in game) affected you mentally (visually, physically,etc.)?
No... it never did. I was always a level-headed child, I already knew what that all was. Of course, I grew up to be a psycho, so... I guess that doesn't say much. But I was always not really affected by that. I mean, humans are animals. Sims are based on humans. The act of reproduction is purely animalistic. Therefore, there should be nothing wrong or taboo about humans reproducing, especially not in a videogame.
Test Subject
#122 Old 18th Apr 2010 at 8:41 PM
Quote:

I have no problem with it. I've been playing since I was around nine, which leads into the next question...

Quote:

I was about...nine maybe? My mom's boyfriend bought The Sims Deluxe and got me and his daughter hooked. However, there was much drama when she found out how to use move objects and moved the shower to reveal a nude Sim! My mom didn't really see it herself and didn't know that they look like Barbie dolls with no clothes on...resulting in all the drama. I don't think my mom really cares now though.

Okay, onto the next question...

Quote:

No, although sometimes I'm jealous of certain Sims...

Art in Icon by Lauren "Loppi" Mann
Lab Assistant
#123 Old 19th Apr 2010 at 3:01 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Petchy
It has made me want to see people's children more (Seeing the mixes of their genes.. and stuff :p)

That's one of the biggest impressions the Sims has left on me as well. I love looking at people and seeing how they relate to everyone else in their family.
Helptato
#124 Old 26th Apr 2010 at 11:12 PM
Although I don't really like the idea of children playing a game rated 12+/Teen, with careful supervision and keeping them off the internet (And if they do want that shiny piece of CC, downloading it for them) it could be alright. The game is quite cartoony and probably not much worse then Tom & Jerry (Where poor Tom has been chopped up, electrocuted, blown up, had holes punched in him, had his fur shaved off, his tail damaged, etc), although it is quite obvious what Try For Baby means >.>

Emma!

Simblr
[url=https://peanutbuttersandwich.dreamwidth.org/Dreamwidth[/url]

Page 5 of 5