Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Nov 2014 at 3:19 PM
Default Advice on buying first gaming laptop - £1,000
In 3 months I'm going to have £1,000, give or take a few hundred, at my disposal and I want to buy my first gaming pc with it as I've been slowly killing 2 low-end ones on low quality for years.

I would get a desktop but as I'm turning 18 it's natural to assume I'm going to be travelling around a lot more - and I don't want to be forced to share it with my siblings and rooted to one place. Especially as I've heard that there's a way to connect desktop graphics cards to your laptop when at home.
Building my own gaming rig is out of the question too, seeing how much I love gaming it's inevitable I will one day, but not right now.

I've had my eye on Alienware for years but I've heard that other brands are much better, Chillbast for example, despite Alienware being so hypnotisingly good-looking. I'm good with computers but know next to nothing about the hardware, so I need as much advice as I can before then.
I do own a cooling pad (link) and I'd want this laptop to be great for at least a few years for my primary gaming, until I can get a desktop.

The sort of games I'd want it for and to run smoothly with on HQ are The Sims 3 + Pets and most EPs, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Skyrim, Portal, Assassin's Creed 5 and so on with similar games. I'm not going to be getting the most insanely demanding FPS games out there but I want it to be a competent and consistent gaming laptop nonetheless, one that lasts.

I am in the UK so American retail only brands would be a no-no.

Thanks!

Aw, the poor puddy tat! He fall down and go... BOOM!
I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested.
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 19th Nov 2014 at 7:37 PM
Take a look at Malibal.

www.malibal.com

They're an American company but they will take orders from the UK and will ship to the UK.

I took a look at the P130SM model. i7-4710MQ, 6MB L3 Cache, 2.5-3.5GHz, choose the 8GB PC3-12800/1600MHz DDR3 instead of 4GB, choose the GTX 770M (Kepler) 3GB GDDR5 instead of the GTX 765M (Kepler) 2GB GDDR5 and it comes down to $1,253.42 or roughly GBP 800 according to google rate conversion. Shoot them an email to get an estimate on taxes and shipping to your address.

Then compare with your other UK options.

Take a look at this ASUS laptop as well:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showp...=959&catid=1828
Test Subject
#3 Old 20th Nov 2014 at 7:07 PM
Scholar
#4 Old 21st Nov 2014 at 3:43 AM
Karyin suggestion definitely has better specs! Nice find Karyin