Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Inventor
#14301 Old 7th Mar 2024 at 8:00 PM
How about you make more of them, dress how you want them to be, and then add them to the townie family? They are people of another template. Aside from looking in a mirror every once in a while, they don't act all that different. Anybody can say “tick-tang”, “sarsy” and get nude with outgoing personality.

Here is the menu on my Tombstone, and the most beautiful dining server in Downtown. NPC Template > Mr. Big. Age, gender, skin, how you want them to be. Then New Archetypical Character.

I often see the food come out of the fridge still steaming, lol. I think if the fridge caused food to spoil, I would keep it in my personal pocket, and it would feel less realistic. They take great care of preserving the age of the food in two places, so it is always possible to tell how old it is even from the inventory.

https://i.imgur.com/oAyP2QQ.jpeg
https://i.imgur.com/J5QlXU6.jpeg
Screenshots
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#14302 Old 8th Mar 2024 at 10:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Ruusupapu
Then children could not eat it themselves. Mod for using microwave as children would be useful.

There's already a mod for that https://modthesims.info/d/70736

Where did your MTS uploads go? https://s2idownloads.blogspot.com/2...content-no.html
Follow me here: www.facebook.com/sims2idea
Overview all my creations: Download at once (SimFileShare)
Forum Resident
#14303 Old 8th Mar 2024 at 6:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Ruusupapu
In real life there is difference with fulling and unhealthy food.

Agree. In real life, making a salad with fresh veggies from your garden will not fill you all day nor make you lose fitness if you eat too much.
Mad Poster
#14304 Old 9th Mar 2024 at 2:04 AM
In real life, anything will make you gain weight if you eat too much of it. It's just harder to eat too many veggies than it is to eat too much of more calorie/nutrient-dense foods. Garden veggies in TS2 are clearly just different than IRL veggies.
Mad Poster
#14305 Old 9th Mar 2024 at 6:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by inspiredzone
Agree. In real life, making a salad with fresh veggies from your garden will not fill you all day nor make you lose fitness if you eat too much.

I have to admit that I like that sims can eat cake and it has the same effect as salad. Wish that worked in RL. XD
Inventor
#14306 Old 9th Mar 2024 at 7:33 AM
Salad (Chef Salad) is kinda meh when it comes to filling hunger, which is realistic, because green leaves aren't usable by humans as food. But they try to represent multiple aspects with the same hunger meter: energy, taste, aesthetics, health.

I take issue with cooking skill and better stove giving more hunger points. With the base game, no skill, and the ugly electric stove, you get punished. Unless the person is so dumb that he washes half of the food down in the sink, and the food isn't burnt, the energy stays in the pot. You don't need skill to put a bigger helping on the food dish.

Seems that more experienced cooks might actually lose some food because they discover that there is "arsenic" in grain, they become dissatisfied with the grains sticking to each other, or they become more concerned with how the food looks.

A similar problem is with hygiene, where there is no reason ever to wash hands when a shower is available.

Or how you somehow become proficient with musical instruments by painting.

In the Singles, they had multiple counters for hygiene. For the user, the feedback was simplified with the most pressing need appearing over the summary bar: hands, teeth, laundry or body.
Mad Poster
#14307 Old 9th Mar 2024 at 8:04 AM
I think you might be confusing "people who are skilled at cooking" with "intagram foodie influencers".
Mad Poster
#14308 Old 9th Mar 2024 at 8:07 AM
I think the three meals issue is mainly just that sim-time is a bit approximated compared to IRL time. It takes them so long to eat a meal and walk around the house that if you had to make them eat three times a day, they wouldn't have time for anything else. Most of my sims eat once or twice a day. If you want them to eat three times, the best solution for this is the time hack that makes time run half as fast. If there is now a companion hack that makes energy gain and drain twice as slowly too, then it's a good solution. For me it was too fiddly and so I take the approximation of time compromise.

Interestingly the "more filling food when higher skill and/or more expensive counter" metric illustrates one of the clashes between two purposes of the game - for people who play it as a story generator, it makes no sense. For people who are playing it as a strategy game (become as rich/accumulate as many aspiration points as possible) it does - because you have to achieve things (get money, skill up) in order to get the reward (items which make food more satisfying, which allows less time spent on needs and more time to chase aspiration).

I didn't really understand this until I watched a very long video comparing all the different sims games and realised that people who are "gamers" typically see the sims that way. Never occurred to me to play like that. Explains why I never liked macrotastics.

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Inventor
#14309 Old 9th Mar 2024 at 8:23 AM
Some people eat very slowly. I rarely have people be very neat because then they never enter the fast eating style, and I don't serve them soup bowls or sandwich eat type (hamburgers) because those can't be eaten fast at all and get eaten even slower in the sloppy style. I feel like maybe the bowl should be hacked, so that it advances faster same as food dish when it is liften to the face.

I also have a sliding scale of talking, so that they skip conversation when they are hungry, and beging to talk as they fill up or gain cuisine enthusiasm. Now I have almost no problem with them eating too long. Strangely enough, they also never freeze waiting for a reply, which happens when I try it elsewhere.

If hunger was tracked in multiple variables, you could still be rewarded for a better stove and garden vegetables, if you took a hit in the health. Maybe become more susceptible to diseases, or started losing comfort, and lost ability to run and be practically disabled on big lots, or something like that.
Mad Poster
#14310 Old 9th Mar 2024 at 9:07 AM
Quote: Originally posted by jonasn
Salad (Chef Salad) is kinda meh when it comes to filling hunger, which is realistic, because green leaves aren't usable by humans as food. But they try to represent multiple aspects with the same hunger meter: energy, taste, aesthetics, health.

How are green leaves not usable by humans as food? Spinach etc. is supposed to be really good for you.
Mad Poster
#14311 Old 9th Mar 2024 at 9:09 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simsfreq
I think the three meals issue is mainly just that sim-time is a bit approximated compared to IRL time. It takes them so long to eat a meal and walk around the house that if you had to make them eat three times a day, they wouldn't have time for anything else. Most of my sims eat once or twice a day. If you want them to eat three times, the best solution for this is the time hack that makes time run half as fast. If there is now a companion hack that makes energy gain and drain twice as slowly too, then it's a good solution. For me it was too fiddly and so I take the approximation of time compromise.

Interestingly the "more filling food when higher skill and/or more expensive counter" metric illustrates one of the clashes between two purposes of the game - for people who play it as a story generator, it makes no sense. For people who are playing it as a strategy game (become as rich/accumulate as many aspiration points as possible) it does - because you have to achieve things (get money, skill up) in order to get the reward (items which make food more satisfying, which allows less time spent on needs and more time to chase aspiration).

I didn't really understand this until I watched a very long video comparing all the different sims games and realised that people who are "gamers" typically see the sims that way. Never occurred to me to play like that. Explains why I never liked macrotastics.

I don't see it as a strategy thing, I see it as "sims eating is boring and takes up a ton of time, so I'd rather they spent less time on that" thing. Similarly, most things that can be taken care of by macrotastics or BUY are also fairly boring. That's also the main reason I installed ACR - so I can just tell them "go woohoo" and then they do it on their own without me having to shepherd them through the whole process every time. I play the game as a story generator and I'm perfectly happy to accept that sim life has different parameters than real life. No stories are being generated while sims spend literal hours eating, though.
Mad Poster
#14312 Old 9th Mar 2024 at 4:20 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 9th Mar 2024 at 4:37 PM.
Back when my sims ate (they run on air now, at least the photo sims), I usually waited until they had motives far down in yellow before eating, and filled them up with something that would get them to full green. Two meals a day (breakfast, late dinner) was mostly fine. I don't let the sims eat just to eat.

(For TS4 it seems their motives are all over the place and never in the same area, so I usually have the hungriest sim cook and put the rest of the food away as leftovers, which also would work fine in TS2 - then the sims can grab a plate when they are actually hungry, plus they can eat on shift so they don't spend hours talking around the table because everyone is there, but instead spend time eating, which is very useful around breakfast).
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#14313 Old 9th Mar 2024 at 5:16 PM
Salad (Chef Salad) is kinda meh when it comes to filling hunger, which is realistic, because green leaves aren't usable by humans as food.

Quote: Originally posted by Charity
How are green leaves not usable by humans as food? Spinach etc. is supposed to be really good for you.

I agree with Charity; green leaves (brassicas) are very nutritious and a big part of my diet. It's where I get most of my iron, potassium and vitamin C from, plus it's low carb and great for keto. Food, no?
Screenshots
Inventor
#14314 Old 9th Mar 2024 at 5:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
green leaves (brassicas) are very nutritious and a big part of my diet. It's where I get most of my iron, potassium and vitamin C from, plus it's low carb and great for keto. Food, no?
You get something off them in small amounts to replenish those other nutrient counters, add a sense of freshness to a cooked meal so that it can be enjoyed better, but to fill the main hunger meter you need carbs, protein or fat. Plant leaves are cellulose which is hard to decompose, and passes through. I feel sometimes faster than coffee with milk & santa cookies. When you say "low carb", "low fat", or "low calorie", it's low food in different words. Animals that eat only plant stems, eat an unholy volume of them without stopping.

I lke to grind down cabbage in an electric grater and eat it within minutes, before the biting flavor has evaporated. Nice contrast with a hot dish. Or salad leaves, but not by themselves but with sour cream.
Field Researcher
#14315 Old 9th Mar 2024 at 5:44 PM
For those who hate/avoid fixing things...what you think about a mid that allowes sims with 5 and higher mechanic skill to LEVEL UP their furniture/items = make it less frequently to be broken (fridge, tv, robots,...)? Similar to 3 system.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#14316 Old 9th Mar 2024 at 6:15 PM
You get something off them in small amounts to replenish those other nutrient counters, add a sense of freshness to a cooked meal so that it can be enjoyed better, but to fill the main hunger meter you need carbs, protein or fat.

Yes, but you can't say they aren't food!
Mad Poster
#14317 Old 9th Mar 2024 at 6:29 PM
I will have a potato salad, thank you very much. With wine.

And I'd like my sims to have one too.
Inventor
#14318 Old 10th Mar 2024 at 1:41 AM
Potato salad is 100% foodL potatoes, sausage, pickled cucumber, onion, cream, beet root, carrots. It has hardly any green leaves in it. I guess the product technically must be "salted" to be called "salad".

I wonder how much plaster of paris you could add to bread, wood pulp to cheese before the complete product isn't called food anymore. A couple weeks ago, I bought milk from the market that seemed like dissolved chalk was used to stretch it. That was done half a century ago.

These cakes are from a Twilight Zone. Looks like a business opportunity. Or at least a way of feeding employees affordably. We will bankrupt the Jacquets and buy their loss making cake shop.

https://i.imgur.com/s6w73s5.png
https://i.imgur.com/Cm94Dnm.png
https://i.imgur.com/eKqjVUt.png
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#14319 Old 10th Mar 2024 at 3:03 AM
I really wish I could be rid of the annoying cooking contest table NPC. I thought this table would be a great addition to my new owned cafe for something different. But she walks back and forth, back and forth like she has ants in her pants.
If the table could be set so a playable or townie could be the judge instead would be even better, but surely she could be made to just stand there and do a few idles while a contest was not on.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#14320 Old 10th Mar 2024 at 3:35 AM
The word "salad" has nothing to do with salt, it's been used to describe dishes that are mixes of different foods forever: tuna salad, chicken salad, bean salad, macaroni salad, coleslaw, egg salad, and fruit salad are all salads that never have leafy greens in them, and Greek salad doesn't have leafy greens either, if you make it the traditional/authentic way. Not to mention all the stuff that was called "salad" in the 50s that just consisted of combining a bunch of stuff with jello. There's nothing about the concept of salad that requires leaves in any way.

And yes, leafy greens are food. It's not sawdust or plaster of paris.
Top Secret Researcher
#14321 Old 10th Mar 2024 at 3:53 AM
@jonasn I have many questions for you but I don't think I want the answers.
Also leafy greens have micronutrients as opposed to the macronutrients like carbs and glucose.
Also also I do think it would be neat if nutrition played into sim food, but seeing as how a dozen or so of us can't seem to agree what's nutritious and what isn't, I don't think any modder could please the majority with it.

Trans Rights Are Human Rights

Be careful who you hate; it may be someone you love.
=^..^=
Mad Poster
#14322 Old 10th Mar 2024 at 8:27 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
I really wish I could be rid of the annoying cooking contest table NPC. I thought this table would be a great addition to my new owned cafe for something different. But she walks back and forth, back and forth like she has ants in her pants.
If the table could be set so a playable or townie could be the judge instead would be even better, but surely she could be made to just stand there and do a few idles while a contest was not on.

Have you tried making her selectable and have her sit down? {I have no idea if it would work, just something I would probably have tried if I had that scenario in my game).
Lab Assistant
#14323 Old 10th Mar 2024 at 9:06 AM
I would love to have the ability to access interests in CAS, either to assign them ourselves like we do trait points, or have a randomization button.
Mad Poster
#14324 Old 10th Mar 2024 at 9:41 AM
Quote: Originally posted by MHS0501
I would love to have the ability to access interests in CAS, either to assign them ourselves like we do trait points, or have a randomization button.

Not sure if it helps any (and I'm sure there are mods that do the same), but if you enable testingcheats, you can drag the points up/down however you want them to be after you've entered the lot. It's not the same as editing in CAS, but perhaps next best thing.

You can use a randomization page for the numbers if you want it to be as random as possible, or some dice (if you use 2 dice, you can use 11 and/or 12 as standin for 1 point, since there are only 10 points for each interest and not possible to get 1 with two standard dice). The number game is a bit skewed with dice, though (middle numbers are generally easier to get).
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#14325 Old 10th Mar 2024 at 10:30 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Justpetro
Have you tried making her selectable and have her sit down? {I have no idea if it would work, just something I would probably have tried if I had that scenario in my game).

I thought that was a good idea as I am playing their lot right now, but she can't even be clicked on.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Page 573 of 583