Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Apr 2019 at 11:32 PM
Default WCIF anything to squash the "Follow Parent" toddler interaction?
Seriously. They keep getting underfoot and blocking staircases and doorways trying to follow their parents every two seconds. I'm trying to play with autonomy enabled because controlled gameplay was getting stale, but it's super irritating having toddlers bumrushing other Sims all the time. And they keep barging into the bathroom while my Sims are dropping logs or having a shower

Ideally I'd like to find a mod just to stop the action from happening, but if no such thing exists I think I've seen baby-gate objects; I just like to avoid object clutter wherever possible in my households, especially the smaller lots.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 16th Apr 2019 at 11:55 PM
How about toys? They'll have something to do. I do not have this follow parent problem in my game. If a toddler is near a toy, you can be sure they go for it.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#3 Old 17th Apr 2019 at 12:03 AM
BO less toddler annoyance. http://www.leefish.nl/mybb/showthread.php?tid=3335 makes toddlers more independent.

Quote:
UPDATE, May 20st, 2012: It's cute how toddlers will sometimes follow a parent around. Really, it is! BUT... NOT all day long! The only purpose the "Follow Parent" interaction serves, is to fill the rugrat's social bar. So what the hell is that bug doing, stalking mommy all day, even when her social bar is already at maximum??? Let them go *do* something with their time, even if they're not learning anything from it! So, here's an update that only allows Toddlers to "Follow Parent" when their social bar is below -50 (that's turning orange). Now only badly neglected kids will follow someone around!

^Which is why I use the mod.^ because the follow action is too strong unmodded. Makes sense if the toddlers social is low and following now and then but not to the extent the game has it. It really does cut down the follow nonsense a LOT. If they wander in on sleeping or busy parents, they will wait a bit then go find something to do. I have toddler beds so they can get themselves up, and a lot of toys so they always find something to play with.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#4 Old 17th Apr 2019 at 12:22 AM
Oh...I see. I DO have that mod. lol

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#5 Old 17th Apr 2019 at 12:40 AM
Before getting that mod, on free will and undirected a toddler could spend half the night sitting at the foot of their parent's bed trying to ask for some kind of attention until another need got low enough to draw them to something else. Since I play by motivation level's this was affecting my low and average toddlers a huge amount. Also, come on, your parent's asleep lol you are not getting attention right now. Now they actually go and do something.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Alchemist
#6 Old 17th Apr 2019 at 1:02 AM Last edited by Sunrader : 18th Apr 2019 at 2:59 PM.
That's funny. I don't know if I don't have that behavior in my game or if the level I have just seems normal to me. I don't have that mod and my toddlers are busy playing and stuff. I do use my Better Babies so sims are better parents, but nothing to stop my toddlers from being toddlers. I don't know if the Better Babies cocktail would help, but it keeps their needs better satisfied, so it might.
Theorist
#7 Old 17th Apr 2019 at 2:22 PM
I use the no more follow mod too, but i didn't realize that they did it because social was low. Explains why my puppy follows me all over the house when I'm busy. (:

When you forgive, you heal. When you let go, you grow.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 17th Apr 2019 at 11:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Rosebine
How about toys? They'll have something to do. I do not have this follow parent problem in my game. If a toddler is near a toy, you can be sure they go for it.

I always make sure they've got multiple toys to give them something useful to play with, and occasionally they'll sit and play for ages, but then when they finish with the toys they're just as likely to stalk their parents relentlessly, even leaving the room where all their things are to go halfway across the house where they'll sit at the foot of the staircase until I redirect them to the toys myself. :T

joandsarah77, thanks for that link! I spent ages trawling Google trying to find something before making this post - just shows how important it is to use a good search term. :U
Mad Poster
#9 Old 17th Apr 2019 at 11:52 PM
Yeah, my bad @Shmelton After a long while running the same mods, you forget you even have them! In this example, *you* is me.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 17th Apr 2019 at 11:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Rosebine
Yeah, my bad @Shmelton After a long while running the same mods, you forget you even have them! In this example, *you* is me.

Lol don't worry I've done the same thing, my mod setup has evolved over the years to include so many "must-haves" and annoyance-squashers that whenever I have to do a fresh installation, the vanilla gameplay feels like it's actually bugged in some way. And I have to run around trying to work out which mod I'm missing!
Mad Poster
#11 Old 18th Apr 2019 at 9:49 AM
I must give my toddlers too many toys, because I rarely see 'follow X'.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#12 Old 18th Apr 2019 at 10:13 AM
My toddlers have a ton of toys as i have them out for each skill, but nothing squished follow until I got BO's mod.

~Call me Jo~
Alchemist
#13 Old 18th Apr 2019 at 2:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
My toddlers have a ton of toys as i have them out for each skill, but nothing squished follow until I got BO's mod.

I wonder what the difference is. If I give my toddlers that activity table or the xylophone or, really, anything, they'll just sit and skill for hours and the parent stands around waiting to play with them or wanders off. I've even experimented a bit because I try to put all the skill toys an equal distance from a toddler and then just see what he picks, because that really shapes his personality... so I would do that, then while he's sleeping move the toy to another room to see if he'd go find it. Yeah, they do. My toddlers are busy. Like real toddlers. Odd.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#14 Old 18th Apr 2019 at 2:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77

Same! One for each skill, plus a teddybear just in case. I've got BO's mod installed now, and it does seem to have curtailed their behaviour immensely!
Mad Poster
#15 Old 18th Apr 2019 at 2:24 PM
I don't have BO's mod, so I'm curious as to why it doesn't happen with mine.
Alchemist
#16 Old 18th Apr 2019 at 2:58 PM Last edited by Sunrader : 18th Apr 2019 at 3:22 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
I don't have BO's mod, so I'm curious as to why it doesn't happen with mine.

Yeah, me, too. I wonder if our games have something in common or our attitudes about toddlers.

Quote: Originally posted by Duine
I use the no more follow mod too, but i didn't realize that they did it because social was low. Explains why my puppy follows me all over the house when I'm busy. (:

I experimented with this need with infants as well when I was testing the BetterBabies cocktail to make better parenting autonomous. I stopped trying the no harassment/swarm type mods because I could see that the parents were meeting social needs when they "hovered" a bit. Maybe a clue to the toddlers, too?
Mad Poster
#17 Old 18th Apr 2019 at 5:29 PM
TBH, I removed all the no harassment mods and pretty much left my sims to it. I didn't like how the mods restricted behaviour so much. The mods I have that might affect baby/toddler care are: One I made myself that stops them from bathing a clean toddler (because that really drove me nuts), Pescado's nodroptiredbaby and nosmartmilkdrag (not sure this would have an effect anyway), the nursing baby mod, no lecturing baby for soiling their diaper, toddlers and puppies/kittens can use stairs, Toddler Play with Toilets fix, Toddler Potty Fixes, Toddler Toy Death Fix and I doubt that the no autonomous talk through teddy bear would have an effect.