Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Theorist
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Mar 2019 at 9:20 PM
Default Kids walk to community lots alone.
I built a playground and I'd like for the kids to be able to walk there alone but they can't - which I did not know!

I did a search and two mods were suggested:
1. Bo's here . Child and Pet unattended does not allow kids to walk to lots.
2. Squinge's here . Call taxi enabled for children lets kids leave the home lot but they can't call for a taxi home when they get there. (Which is actually pretty funny. )
Have any new mods come out that allow kids to walk to community lots?
Screenshots
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 11th Mar 2019 at 4:39 AM
Chris Hatch made a version of his Community Buses that allows children to use them. I remember specifically asking him about it, so I'm not sure if the version saved from BAS is the right one. Here's mine.

http://www.simfileshare.net/download/986604/
Mad Poster
#3 Old 11th Mar 2019 at 6:26 AM
I thought Squinge's mod stopped children from calling a taxi back home because of Inteen. This is what happens in my game. They can call to go, but they can't call from the community lot, to get back. People without Inteen can enjoy the mod though. Unless I am remembering wrong?

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Theorist
Original Poster
#4 Old 11th Mar 2019 at 7:00 AM Last edited by Honeywell : 12th Mar 2019 at 5:09 AM.
Thank you, Charity! Is there any documentation still available anywhere for Chris's buses do you know? I tried the wayback machine and searching but didn't have any luck.

I don't have a clue Rosebine - I don't have inteen - but I updated Squinge's mod so my kids can get home now. lol I really wanted the kids to be able to walk to community lots and think I found all of the walk to lot resources but for the life of me I couldn't figure it out even having Squinge's taxi and Chris's bus to look at.

Still, happy enough that the kids can grab a taxi now at least instead of waiting on someone else to take them to the park. I'm not sure if this is something I can share here or not if anyone wants it? It was a simple edit -- just ticking the child box for the phone booth. ETA: I'm just going to attach it if anyone wants to playtest it. upload it to SFS . The package includes Squinges bhav edits from calltaxichildenabledEP3V1.0a (EP3/EP4/EP5/FFS/GLS) that's compatible with M&G and the phone booth ttab from AL.

See: http://www.insimenator.org/index.php/topic,12248.0.html
Mad Poster
#5 Old 11th Mar 2019 at 7:13 AM
Oh...then I might try to edit it too, who knows, that'd be great if I could get it to work in my game as well.
And you let us know if ever you can share!

Oh!! Great, I will test this. Thank you very much

Theorist
Original Poster
#6 Old 11th Mar 2019 at 7:20 AM
You're welcome. Let me know how you make out, please.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 11th Mar 2019 at 7:31 AM
I'd much rather they be able to walk - it's absurd for children in Retropleasantspot, Depression Era Riverblossom, or my BACC to need a taxi to go across the street - but yes, I totally need a mod of this sort and if calling a taxi is all I can get I'll take it. Thank you.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#8 Old 11th Mar 2019 at 7:47 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Honeywell
You're welcome. Let me know how you make out, please.

You are a hero...
It works now, and with Inteen on top of that.
HCDU said it conflict with Inteen B package's TTAB...
so I rename yours to zHW...so that your TTAB loads after Inteen B package's. I am thanking you!
Of course, I do have the mod so toddler can tag along. It would have been rude not to take small bro with them.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#9 Old 11th Mar 2019 at 8:32 AM
The bus is quite simple, just place down the bus stop, and click on it. It comes at a very high price under seating. I repriced mine to $100. What it needs is a defaulted bus since it's similar to a school bus and really old looking.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Theorist
Original Poster
#10 Old 11th Mar 2019 at 3:31 PM Last edited by Honeywell : 11th Mar 2019 at 4:54 PM.
Brilliant, Rosebine. Thank you for your help.

An old bus you say? I'm playing an apocalypse I can't have that! Thanks for the bus stop tip, Jo. I was thinking there'd be an option on the phone - a bus stop is better.

ETA: The bus stop is so much nicer to have kids go to the playground. Click on the bus stop, choose where you want to go and they'll sit and wait for the bus -- love that.

The look doesn't really fit in with my little town (the bus stop isn't a small thing plus it's expensive) so my town isn't getting public transportation anytime soon but it's something I'm going to keep in mind for later. Thanks again Charity & Jo -- and Chris of course.
Screenshots
Undead Molten Llama
#11 Old 11th Mar 2019 at 7:59 PM
The look doesn't really fit in with my little town (the bus stop isn't a small thing plus it's expensive) so my town isn't getting public transportation anytime soon but it's something I'm going to keep in mind for later. Thanks again Charity & Jo -- and Chris of course.

There's also a smaller sign that came with that mod that has the same bus-calling functions. It doesn't have the sit-and-wait function, obviously, but they'll stand by the sign and wait. I use both in my neighborhoods where I use buses, mostly because the bus stop is so darn big and some of my lots are tiny. Plus having the big stop on every lot looks a little ridiculous in neighborhood view. The sign is in English, though, if that's a concern. One of these days I'm going to Simlish-ize it AND de-blue the glass on the bus stop... It's on my miles-long to-do list.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Theorist
Original Poster
#12 Old 11th Mar 2019 at 8:04 PM Last edited by Honeywell : 13th Mar 2019 at 1:30 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by iCad
There's also a smaller sign that came with that mod that has the same bus-calling functions. It doesn't have the sit-and-wait function, obviously, but they'll stand by the sign and wait. I use both in my neighborhoods where I use buses, mostly because the bus stop is so darn big and some of my lots are tiny. Plus having the big stop on every lot looks a little ridiculous in neighborhood view. The sign is in English, though, if that's a concern. One of these days I'm going to Simlish-ize it AND de-blue the glass on the bus stop... It's on my miles-long to-do list.

I saw that sign just a few minutes ago! I thought it was part of the piles of neighborhood deco I've been downloading and weeding through lately. Thanks for the info. ETA: Simlish texture edit if anyone wants it. I tried to recolor the sign and the package came up empty so I just replaced the texture.

ETA II Link added. Keep in mind this is a default replacement and not a recolor so be sure to delete Chris's CJH_BusStopSign before adding: CJH_BusStopSign_HW_txtrEdit. If I'm feeling ambitious one of these days I'll do a proper recolor so you can have the English & Simlish but this was quick and easy... and I didn't realize I'd be sharing it.
Screenshots
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#13 Old 11th Mar 2019 at 11:10 PM
Oh yes, the bus itself will fit right in Honeywell. I said the price was high, it's easy to change in simPE.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#14 Old 12th Mar 2019 at 9:42 AM
Brilliant, Rosebine. Thank you for your help.

An old bus you say? I'm playing an apocalypse I can't have that! Thanks for the bus stop tip, Jo. I was thinking there'd be an option on the phone - a bus stop is better.

ETA: The bus stop is so much nicer to have kids go to the playground. Click on the bus stop, choose where you want to go and they'll sit and wait for the bus -- love that.

Ok. I have to ask. Can cats catch the bus? XD
Undead Molten Llama
#15 Old 12th Mar 2019 at 3:33 PM Last edited by iCad : 12th Mar 2019 at 4:13 PM.
I would love the Simlish sign @Honeywell. It'll save me from having to do it. One less thing on the to-do list! :D

ETA:

Quote: Originally posted by Charity
Ok. I have to ask. Can cats catch the bus? XD

I believe they can, actually, if they're part of a party going to a community lot. I've never done it, myself, but I'm pretty sure the bus uses the taxi coding, and pets can use taxis, so.... Of course, the bus uses the school bus animations, and I don't think those exist for pets, so I imagine that'd be a bit wonky. But I'm thinking it'd work!

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Theorist
Original Poster
#16 Old 12th Mar 2019 at 6:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by iCad
I would love the Simlish sign @Honeywell. It'll save me from having to do it. One less thing on the to-do list! :D

ETA:

I believe they can, actually, if they're part of a party going to a community lot. I've never done it, myself, but I'm pretty sure the bus uses the taxi coding, and pets can use taxis, so.... Of course, the bus uses the school bus animations, and I don't think those exist for pets, so I imagine that'd be a bit wonky. But I'm thinking it'd work!

I should be able to upload it tonight and I'll edit my post with the link. I didn't mean to make anyone ask for my file - I attached the pic and thought anyone who was interested would grab it and update their own bus stop package. I'm sorry, I wasn't thinking.

And the cat! So cute. That was a stray who wandered by and hopped up on the bench but I agree that you can probably take pets on the bus with you. I didn't try it, but the family pet was included in the take along menu when I sent David to the playground on the bus.
Undead Molten Llama
#17 Old 12th Mar 2019 at 7:02 PM
I should be able to upload it tonight and I'll edit my post with the link. I didn't mean to make anyone ask for my file - I attached the pic and thought anyone who was interested would grab it and update their own bus stop package. I'm sorry, I wasn't thinking.

Oh! Yeah, I could do that. I kinda didn't realize the one pic was a texture image. Just glanced and thought it was a close-up. But, some folks who aren't SimPE-savvy (or who can't run it, if they're on a Mac) might want the file, so...

Alchemist
#18 Old 1st Apr 2019 at 11:13 PM
I saw that sign just a few minutes ago! I thought it was part of the piles of neighborhood deco I've been downloading and weeding through lately. Thanks for the info. ETA: Simlish texture edit if anyone wants it. I tried to recolor the sign and the package came up empty so I just replaced the texture.

ETA II Link added. Keep in mind this is a default replacement and not a recolor so be sure to delete Chris's CJH_BusStopSign before adding: CJH_BusStopSign_HW_txtrEdit. If I'm feeling ambitious one of these days I'll do a proper recolor so you can have the English & Simlish but this was quick and easy... and I didn't realize I'd be sharing it.

I don't think it's necro to ask another question about using this - it's the same mod and it hasn't been that long.

I'm not sure how this mod works as in where do the buses come from? Are they already in the game and this calls them? Are they in the mod? I don't see them there. I'm wondering how I could replace the default bus with a bus I remember from childhood.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#19 Old 1st Apr 2019 at 11:21 PM
The bus mod is by Chris Hatch @Sunrader

~Call me Jo~
Alchemist
#20 Old 1st Apr 2019 at 11:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
The bus mod is by Chris Hatch @Sunrader

Thank you. I know. I have it. But is the bus in one of the files in the mod or is it calling a bus from the game? In other words, where is the bus if one wants to recolor it?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#21 Old 1st Apr 2019 at 11:48 PM
Oh, I thought it was calling his bus. I think it is the one from the game recoloured. What I would like is a default so the bus looks more like a modern city bus and not an old 1970's school bus.

~Call me Jo~
Alchemist
#22 Old 1st Apr 2019 at 11:54 PM
Oh, I thought it was calling his bus. I think it is the one from the game recoloured. What I would like is a default so the bus looks more like a modern city bus and not an old 1970's school bus.

I think I've seen default bus replacements somewhere. I'm just not sure what they are replacing because I've never seen a city bus in my game, but my sims don't get out much. I want it to look like a small day care bus or a church camp bus, something that might actually pick up children.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#23 Old 1st Apr 2019 at 11:58 PM
There isn't a city bus, that's the point. The game has one shape of bus, the school bus in yellow, then it has that same bus recoloured for the sport career. A small minibus might be nice too.

~Call me Jo~
Alchemist
#24 Old 2nd Apr 2019 at 12:16 AM
There isn't a city bus, that's the point. The game has one shape of bus, the school bus in yellow, then it has that same bus recoloured for the sport career. A small minibus might be nice too.

It would. There's a tour bus and a sports team bus listed, but I don't know what those are. It ought to be possible to make it call another car like the taxis and carpools, but I think we'd all rather children walk, anyway, wouldn't we? I bet MidgetheTree could make those kids walk if she wanted. She made witches walk.
Inventor
#25 Old 2nd Apr 2019 at 2:41 AM
The bus mod is a nice addition. I haven't tried it or the taxi one to send kids out alone yet, but I like having visible public transit. It's also nice that Chris Hatch apparently anticipated dumdums like me who send a sim to a community lot which doesn't yet have its own bus stop. Once they got there, I worried they would be stuck. Fortunately, I could still choose the walk home option. They arrived back at their home lot on the bus. The only weirdness I've had is I get a popup asking something like "Will Taxi be going as well?" There's no answer option, it just has the X to close. It doesn't seem to affect anything, as far as I can tell.
Page 1 of 2