Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Jul 2018 at 7:41 PM
Default sim 3 is it better to have the buffet table or Business as Usual Bistro
I am trying to make a restaurant slash bar, I know I need the profesional bar and you can order drinks and food at it. But I also would like a restaurant should i use the buffet tables or the Business as Usual Bistro. I am going to have lots of tables inside and on the deck. And outside there will be lots of tables and firepits games a stage for a band and a bar outside behind in the sand.
Now that everyone knows the idea of the lot
1. Question again better to have the buffet table or business as usual bistro.
2. Any help or things to make it work right.
Thank you
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 6th Jul 2018 at 11:35 PM
It really depends on the atmosphere/experience you are trying to create. Although this one sounds a little more like serve yourself than formal table service, it could probably go either way. I use both extensively, although not on the same lots or at least not in the same places. If you don't like your original choice, you can always change it after the fact.

The Bistro is flawed in several ways, especially relating to chef assignments that go all wrong, but many of us find that this mod makes it work much better.
http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Busines...nusual%20Bistro
Mad Poster
#4 Old 7th Jul 2018 at 2:58 AM Last edited by igazor : 8th Jul 2018 at 6:04 AM.
7) Give them a row of vending machines full of super nutritious candy bars and soda. If the patrons start complaining, just tell them to buzz off this isn't meant to be a five star resort or anything.
8) Change the script class of a horse trough or dumpster to that of buffet table and let the slobs, I mean guests, dig right in. I guess this isn't really any different from (5), just I imagine more fun to watch.
9) Set out an array of dented garbage cans and...

Okay, I'll stop. But the real option that deserved to get mentioned up there is bakery displays with arrays of foods of varying types and quality configured with the NRaas Cupcake mod and a Custom Role Sim standing behind the register. The standard bakery cashier sim is flaky and many of us keep getting them replaced every sim day; NRaas Register refuses to control that one. But this is how many of us do pizzerias, specialty food stands, and snack bars so that the customers don't have to cook/bake their own food. Also with the current version of the Cupcake mod, single size portions are available, inactives will shop the displays to satisfy hunger, not fun as with EA bakeries, and will actually eat what they have purchased given the chance. But it's still counter not table service, so not very formal.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 7th Jul 2018 at 4:00 AM
I have one lot with the restaurant rug, the bistro set, and a bar upstairs. The rug and restaurant are heavily used. Nobody goes upstairs to the bar, except the mixologist.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 7th Jul 2018 at 5:09 AM
It would be great if there were a mod out there that allowed buffets on public lots to charge a fee, never run out and also have the ability to choose the type of food served.

How else am I gonna have a salad bar and a hot table for pizza/cheap Indian buffet!??

I also really wish Arsil's generic NPC roles mod contained the ability to assign a sim to perform a certain task over and over (i.e. Do nothing but cook at the teppanaki grill).
Mad Poster
#7 Old 7th Jul 2018 at 5:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
It really depends. Are you the owner of this lot?

The problem with buffet tables is that "serving" is not autonomous, unless it is a resort buffet on a resort lot. If you're creating just a restaurant for other sims to visit, then the tables will only be served by your active sim.

Of the various restaurant options for TS3, the Business as usual Bistro with Ani's mod is the best choice to simulate a restaurant.

However, there are a few various different ways and I have all these different ways throughout my worlds:

(sorted from best option to least)
1) Business as usual Bistro restaurant with ani mod - (best option) With a chef and multiple waiters who takes orders
2) ITF Cafeteria restaurant - Have waiters, they will get the food, but no take order animation.
3) WA food register restaurant - Sims will order food and eat in the restaurant, no waiters. Good for fast food.
4) Diner/Bistro rabbithole restaurant: You put the rabbithole inside the restaurant people will "eat outside" option and eat in your restaurant. You will need the "Diner - eat outside mod" but bistro already has eat outside. No waiters.
5) Buffet restaurant - No autonomous serve, your active sim must serve the table. Then other sims will grab plate from it
6) Teppanyaki grill restaurant - No NPC chef. NPC who is hungry will use the grill, change into a chef uniform and cook a dish

Or you can do a combination of any of the above.

#4 (probably we have same mod in mind, so I'm just adding to the second from the end sentence) Well, there is a mod that adds waiters to the "eat outside" choice. And of course, there's more to it that offers simulation close to the restaurant but with the limitations, you obviously can't experience the nostalgic TS2 one or that to BAUB (cant see chefs, only outside dining).

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 7th Jul 2018 at 7:09 AM
Quote: Originally posted by jje1000
It would be great if there were a mod out there that allowed buffets on public lots to charge a fee, never run out and also have the ability to choose the type of food served.

How else am I gonna have a salad bar and a hot table for pizza/cheap Indian buffet!??

What I do is put items I want to charge sims for but would otherwise be free in a room with a locked door or behind a gate/archway that costs money to get in by way of the current version of NRaas GoHere. Then it becomes a fee for all you can eat (tea you can drink, dance, bowl, play skee-ball, or whatever it is that's behind the pay to enter door/archway).

For buffet tables in particular though, I think this is what you are after: http://www.simlogical.com/ContentUp...te/uploads/1157

Or perhaps this: http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523377 (note the potential uses the mod developer describes on non-Resort lots)
Instructor
#9 Old 7th Jul 2018 at 11:09 AM
Quote: Originally posted by jje1000
I also really wish Arsil's generic NPC roles mod contained the ability to assign a sim to perform a certain task over and over (i.e. Do nothing but cook at the teppanaki grill).

I've been dreaming of a mod for that teppanyaki grill that adds a npc to tend it just like Arsil's Massage table for as long as I've had it. Maybe some day some wonderful modder will deliver.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 7th Jul 2018 at 1:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by enable_llamas
I've been dreaming of a mod for that teppanyaki grill that adds a npc to tend it just like Arsil's Massage table for as long as I've had it. Maybe some day some wonderful modder will deliver.

I wonder how much of the underlying framework of Arsil's Massage table mod could be applied to other objects?
Instructor
#11 Old 7th Jul 2018 at 3:43 PM
Well it seems like in theory it should be possible to add it to other things as well, but then again I know nothing about modding aside from the occasional piece of furniture/clothes...
Mad Poster
#13 Old 8th Jul 2018 at 6:08 AM
And in other news today, half of my town's sims are now in the hospital getting treated for severe burns from accepting professional massages on a Teppanyaki grill that was left switched on. I don't think I did this right.
Instructor
#15 Old 8th Jul 2018 at 3:23 PM
But when I switched the massage table with Ani's Oven, it worked.

Of course it did

I like your idea with the hidden bar, I think I'll try it on this lot that I've had forever and couldn't figure out a way to get someone to cook on the damn grill without a super elaborate setup.

But honestly as you said it's easy to make the served food to be only the teppanyaki menu in various other ways, so I'll be happy if someone comes up with just a 'decorative' npc-chef that just does the looped animation without producing any food. Waiters can still bring you your food and you'd get to actually see the proper grill action. I know it kinda defeats the purpose, but then again it's not exactly usable on community lots as-is either...
Test Subject
Original Poster
#17 Old 9th Jul 2018 at 11:57 AM
Default Wow
I think it is most possible, but I do see the potential of it being harder to mod.

The massage table already has the masseuse function completely built in, it is carried out when either a sim offers or sim asks for a massage from another sim. So to code, I suspect the way is to make the masseuse itself simply a waiting NPC and change the coding of the "get a massage" to be tied in with the npc.

Problem with the Tep grill is that when a chef cooks, he just cooks a dish and then place it on a counter. I suppose through the same method above, a sim to do this function can be created. But notice there are no NPC or grill interactions of a chef. So the most you can get is to get a NPC chef that just keeps cooking and dishing out food on counters for others to then "grab a plate."

I think for it to truely be a community lot grill, some sort of combination of coding would be required, such as perhaps
- only create single dish when you ask for it
- its ok to place it on some surface, then have a waiter bring it to you either from cafeteria coding, ani's bistro coding

---

On another note, if you simply want a Japanese restaurant without the grill, just use Ani's bistro mod and set the menu to only Tep grill food. With that in mind, it is possible to use Icarus' "Transmogrifier" mod and replace the Tep grill code with Ani's bistro code. Then you'll have a chef that "appears" to be cooking on the grill and a waiter which serves from it.

https://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=592332

Actually I'm going to try this later when I have time.

Can't wait to try this.thanks
Test Subject
Original Poster
#18 Old 9th Jul 2018 at 12:07 PM
Thanks everyone for so many ideas and choices. This is the greatest group of simers around.