Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Jul 2018 at 3:46 PM Last edited by Vawanda : 16th Jul 2018 at 7:02 PM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default [Solved] Origin wants to install on my computer, how do I stop it ?
Hello,

It's not a big problem per se, but I'd gladly avoid it if I can. I've extensively researched the help topics, the wiki and even used Google, but to no avail, so I come to you. First thing first, I'm sorry, my English is not very good. Anyway.

I recently bought The Sims 3 in second hand (no worries, I do that all the time), and lucky-me, it's a pre-2012 version ! I hate Origin with all my little heart, mostly because the whole lockdown-of-your-copies-drama and the many troubles encountered by many friends who listened to its promises. Beside, I'm too poor to put 40€ in an add-on anyway...
Anyway, I've installed my base game, everything ran fine, I updated it 'till the 1.67 patch with EADM, everything was fine and wonderful.

I launched my computer this morning and had the disagreable surprise to see my computer asking me if I wanted to authorize Origin to modify stuff on my computer....
You can guess I said "never, witch !" and I'm now perplexed : how did it install itself ? I never saw it ! I'd never let it !
Is it a requierement now, despite the dvd being pre-2012 ? If not, where could the program be hidden ? Is it because of the EA Download Manager ? Should I uninstall it once the game is fully patched to 1.67 ?

I have no launcher problem (for the moment, we'll see once I get the rest of the game), so as I say, it's not a big problem. It's just....I don't want Origin, plz heeeeelp

My specs (It's not an hardware problem, so I'm just giving you the basic) :
Windows 10

Sims 3 games :
- The Sims 3 base game, pc dvd from 2009
- EA download manager
- No cc, no mods (I'm waiting to find all the EP and SP before doing that)

Thanks in advance for your help !
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 14th Jul 2018 at 2:08 AM
The EA Download Manager (EADM) was Origin's predecessor. It will do everything in its power to update itself to be Origin. If you are trying to maintain a Patch 1.67 install that is not Origin controlled, it would be best to not agree to the EADM from the beginning.

Disc installs can be patched by way of the SuperPatcher.
https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/the-...3-super-patcher
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 14th Jul 2018 at 2:51 PM
Alright, thank you for your answer igazor !
I just desinstalled the EADM, as I'm already patched to the 1.67 !

I suppose, once I find the rest of the EP and SP, I'll not need to update again to the 1.67 ?
(Thank you for the link to the SuperPatcher, I had it downloaded anyway in case of )
Scholar
#4 Old 14th Jul 2018 at 5:38 PM
I'd suggest also to lock the game and the launcher in the firewall, less annoyance.

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Mad Poster
#5 Old 14th Jul 2018 at 10:33 PM Last edited by igazor : 15th Jul 2018 at 4:30 AM.
It's pretty much considered a best practice to run the 1.67 SuperPatcher again (not for 1.69 installs or those on Steam!) after the EPs even if it reportedly finds nothing that needs to be patched by then.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 16th Jul 2018 at 7:01 PM
Alright, I'll do that then, thank you so much !!