Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Dec 2014 at 8:17 AM
Default Suggegtions to update a scripting Mod
As the title suggests I want to update an out of date, and old unsupported scripting mod to the last version of the game 1.67. The mod is only out of date by a few patches. As I have no experience in scripting mods, can someone suggest which tutorial and programs/utilities would be best served to use to update the mod for 1.67. Also, is it something that would be easy like updating an old XML mod, or slightly trickier, which I am comfortable to work on, or really difficult and requiring extensive scripting knowledge/experience?

Thanks.
Advertisement
Inventor
#2 Old 2nd Dec 2014 at 8:41 AM
What mod is that? The creator's policy allows updating it?
Instructor
#3 Old 2nd Dec 2014 at 9:35 AM
Well, it depends. As @Arsil mentioned, the first thing you should do is to see the creator's policy.
It depends on what causes the script mod to be outdated. Sometimes, it just requires a rebuild on the new patch, sometimes there are lines of code that are incompatible, and perhaps, sometimes a great chunk of codes.

Good luck, and the second thing to do, is definitely to read up Pure Script Mod tutorials / Object-based tutorials, depending on the type of the mod you wish to work with.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 3rd Dec 2014 at 10:07 PM
I want to update the MODoor 4.1 by flybys, located here http://www.modthesims.info/d/485201

Flyby hasn't logged in for quite some time, and I can't see anything on the page that says it can't be updated, or modified by someone else. I wasn't thinking too much about uploading it again, but just getting it working for myself.

Is there a tool to run the mod through to rebuild on the last patch? as that would be my first attempt, following that, reading up on the rest of the stuff and seeing what I can work out.
Inventor
#5 Old 4th Dec 2014 at 9:47 AM
I'm not 100% sure, but his policy doesn't allow to modify it.

I used that mod too once, aren't those features already
included in the more recent versions of the base-game?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 4th Dec 2014 at 10:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Arsil
I'm not 100% sure, but his policy doesn't allow to modify it.

I used that mod too once, aren't those features already
included in the more recent versions of the base-game?

Yes and No. When I lock my doors to allow specific sims, using the EA system, they also block the maid from entering the sims room to clean it. The MODoor had the added option to allow various service NPCs to also access the rooms. Made it possible to also add a specific servants entrance to my palatial mansions rather than have them use the front door, not to mention the ability to lock gates to specifically exclude paparazzi.

If his policy doesn't allow modification, what is the situation of modifying for personal use without re-posting or making it available elsewhere? What is the site policy on abandoned mods when it comes to being modified by others? Does the site classify mods as being abandoned after a certain time period of being left unattended?
Inventor
#7 Old 4th Dec 2014 at 10:36 PM Last edited by Arsil : 5th Dec 2014 at 9:19 AM.
If it's for personal use you can do what you want. But of course you wont get public help.

If I remember correctly, when creators state explicitly that no one can use their work without
asking and getting permission first, then it doesn't matter how much time passes.

Have you tried contacting the author?

You know what? If you are really serious about this, you can try to do your own mod and if
you are lucky you may also get help in this forum (especially if someone else is interested
in those features). I don't know about the feasibility of it or the compatibility with the current
EA system, but you could try to add the missing features with a "pure scripting mod" (to add
them to all existing doors) or even creating a new class and assign it to a few key doors
(maybe cloned, so you don't override default doors). Mind that I'm just speculating, I have
no clue how doors work (never bothered enough to check), and it could be a very demanding project.

EDIT: you can also check this mod by Inge Jones. Not sure if it works with game version 1.67, but
anyway could help you to understand how to do what you want (no clue about her policy for that mod).
http://www.simlogical.com/ContentUp...e/uploads/1002/

If you need a bit of guidance about getting started, the first step is probably install and set up
a development tool like Visual Studio or Xamarin and get the game libraries. Recently, another
user who also wanted to get started was able to set up Xamarin very quickly, see this post
by SimsMatthew. If you're having trouble to get the game libraries see this post.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 10th Dec 2014 at 4:27 AM
Thanks for the response. I'll have a play and see what I have come up with.