Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Dec 2006 at 1:54 AM
Default involuntarily "invisible" mesh
Hey, can anyone help me with this :

I changed the shapes of some maxis meshes and when I imported them back into the game, a couple of them wouldn´t show; in bodyshop there was nothing visible underneath the head,

I suppose this´ll be telling something about the problem: I can open the saved mesh with milkshape, but when I just open milkshape and try to import the exported mesh there´s an error, "to many P4 block a data items"

obviously I´ve made some kind of boo-boo , but unfortunately I´ve no idea where and what ist was,

so, why did it happen, and is there anyway I can fix this (or prevent it from happening again)?
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 20th Dec 2006 at 4:33 AM
The error message comes from importing a gmdc overtop another and ending up with two sets of joints. The importer has limits like this built in to mainly to make sure it doesn't crash when it gets fed a corrupted file, and to avoid allocating gobs of memory that isn't used.
At present, it won't load more than 128 joints (this can be changed in the future if needed); I've never seen this many joints in a game mesh yet. But a body mesh has 65 bones, two sets (130) is too many.
To fix, in your MilkShape saved file go to the joints panel and look at the list carefully, you will see the first name repeated halfway through the file... start deleting the bones there (don't delete the first set, your mesh is linked to those, not the second set).
Save again and re-export the gmdc.
<* Wes *>

If you like to say what you think, be sure you know which to do first.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 30th Dec 2006 at 12:11 PM
hey thanks the two meshes with the error work perfectly now

though the third seems to be a different problem; theres no error in milkshape or anything and it´s just invisible...

well, heck, I´ll just try again with a new mesh.

thanks a lot again !!
Alchemist
#4 Old 30th Dec 2006 at 4:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by dawid11
though the third seems to be a different problem; theres no error in milkshape or anything and it´s just invisible...

Invisibility is almost always the result of the link being broken between the GMND and the GMDC. Look in your SimPE package, and not at the mesh.

<* Wes *>

If you like to say what you think, be sure you know which to do first.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 1st Jan 2007 at 11:31 AM
then I´ll take a look there - or, if I can´t find the problem just try connecting the mesh to a new package

thanks a lot - again!