Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Jul 2010 at 1:30 AM Last edited by Helmasaur : 12th Jul 2010 at 5:11 PM.
Default The Hermit Challenge: Sims 3 Edition
(Copy'pasta'd from TS2 thread. If some stuff doesn't make sense, tell me.)

To start out on this challenge build a small lot that looks like a cabin, preferably away from the rest of the neighborhood.
Alright, then you make your sim, They can look however you like. However, two of their traits have to be Hates the Outdoors and Loner (the other three slots can be anything that doesn't involve socializing)
The challenge doesn't start until day 2: the hermit can spend day 1 taking an Athletics class, buying groceries and books, stocking his pond, etc. Of course, he'd best not make any friends on day 1, since they'll still count against him.
Now- to the important stuff.
Your hermit can not know anyone, any thing in their relationship panel goes against their points. Your hermit can not visit community lots, so it would be a good idea to get a pond or garden. Your hermit can't have any electronics, or things that "convolutin' present folk" have, meaning no sports games, excersise machines or Decorations, either.
NOW onto points

1 point for starting off.
-10 for every person in the relationship panel
-10 each time your hermit goes into the front yard (excluding when they first move in) (It would be a good idea to get the superpower that removes bills ASAP)
-10 for each time someone wanders into your hermits yard
-INSTANT LOSS if you start a positive relationship of any kind.

Bonuses

Grouchy old man- your hermit does negative interactions to anyone who passes his house- Ignore the relationship related point losses for every enemy he makes. 50 bonus points
Reelhaulin' Recluse- Max Fishing skill- 20 Bonus points

5 bonus points for each maxed out skill. And 50 points for maxing out every skills. (Aside from writing and charisma, which requires a computer and a ton of friends, respectively.) (in addition to the singular skill bonuses)
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 5th Jul 2010 at 4:07 AM
You can't garden without getting seeds or vegetables and fruits to plant, so you'd need to visit a community lot if you want to start a garden. Also learning 'all' recipes would require trips to the bookstore to buy recipes you can only learn from books.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 5th Jul 2010 at 5:10 AM
Right, thanks. Fixed.
Test Subject
#4 Old 5th Jul 2010 at 5:15 PM
I just take lettuce that comes automatically in the fridge and plant it, take care of it 'til my sim's gardening reaches 1 skill point, and then a bunch of seeds show up in their inventory. No need to go to the community lot for gardening. ^-^ ~
Field Researcher
#5 Old 5th Jul 2010 at 8:25 PM
A couple issues with the skilling:
  • Without electronics, it's impossible to skill writing.
  • Without exercise equipment, a tv, a radio, or a trip to a community lot for a class, it's impossible to gain the first point of athletics. It would be *possible* to raise it thereafter by jogging around the back yard (or swimming in a pool suitably disguised as part of the pond), but that first point is vital.
  • Do ponds generate fish without being stocked? I'd always thought they didn't--so fishing is kind of out, too.

I suppose the chess board and easel would make it possible to raise logic and painting, those aren't new-fangled contraptions (though I'd argue the telescope probably is)... ShesCrazy's plan for gardening works out okay, though it doesn't let you get any but the first 4 plants, or fewer if you're unlucky.

I'd propose the modification that the challenge doesn't start until day 2: the hermit can spend day 1 taking an Athletics class, buying groceries and books, stocking his pond, etc. Of course, he'd best not make any friends on day 1, since they'll still count against him. That should solve everything except the writing problem.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 5th Jul 2010 at 8:34 PM
By default, you will be able to catch minnow, goldfish, rainbow trout, red herring and salmon in a lake - but very few compared to when fishing from a spawner. That said, you can catch ten fish and stock the pond, creating a fishing spot, but that spot will never become a hot-spot like with spawners.

Well I can't look under the hood but nothing will erase the joy of gunning townies down in front of City Hall - suzetter
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 5th Jul 2010 at 9:20 PM
^^Thanks for the help. I've added that stuff in.
Field Researcher
#8 Old 5th Jul 2010 at 9:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lytefoot
I suppose the chess board and easel would make it possible to raise logic and painting, those aren't new-fangled contraptions (though I'd argue the telescope probably is)...

o_O The telescope has been around for centuries and centuries.

Check out my new blog - I Think My Cat Is An Alien
Theorist
#9 Old 12th Jul 2010 at 9:34 AM
How about the Charisma Skill? To advance, the Sim must have a lot of friends (not just acquaintances), and based on your rules, that's not allowed.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 12th Jul 2010 at 5:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by vhanster
How about the Charisma Skill? To advance, the Sim must have a lot of friends (not just acquaintances), and based on your rules, that's not allowed.

Eh? No longer able to just practice in front of a mirror? Damn. *goes to fix*
Test Subject
#11 Old 26th Jul 2010 at 1:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Helmasaur
Eh? No longer able to just practice in front of a mirror? Damn. *goes to fix*

actually, you can still practice in front of a mirror, but i think you need a bit a skill before you can. and i think i know what to do--

give the sim the charismatic trait on the first day, so they can gain skill by talking. next, go to the graveyard at midnight, and chat it up with a ghost. once you gain 1 skill point, leave. once the sun comes up and the ghost goes back to the grave, there gone. poof. not in you relationships. next, type "testingcheatsenabled true" without the " ", shift click the sim, and choose "change traits for active sims" and change it. then type "testingcheatsenabled false", without the "", and officially start day 2.

this should be the only time you are aloud to chat, have a friend, and cheat. hope you like my idea
Field Researcher
#12 Old 26th Jul 2010 at 2:03 AM
The fundamental difficulty with charisma isn't that you need to interact with people to raise it, but that you need certain numbers of friends and relationships to access each level.