Welcome to
Mod The Sims
Online: 1308
News:
Have an account? Sign in:
pass:
If you don't have an account, why not sign up now? It's free!
Other sites: SimsWiki
Reply  Replies: 8109 (Who?), Viewed: 349336 times.
Search this Thread
Old 19th Jun 2018, 7:13 PM #7776
Sims_Lover
Field Researcher

9 Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keren
Strongly disagree.
you know.. there are non-Christian players who wouldn't like that holiday forced into their game play..

It doesn't have to be called Halloween and maybe they could give an option to have certain festivals appear in the game.
Old 19th Jun 2018, 7:18 PM #7777
andru
Instructor

Seeing Patchy the Scarecrow return to his tree strump in a poof of smoke was funny and annoying in the Sim Supply's video. They couldn't animate him just to sit back down?
Old 19th Jun 2018, 7:20 PM #7778
terula8
Instructor

I'm quite excited about these patch notes - I've been stalking google to see when the patch would be out! So pumped to see a little sadness for dearly departed rodents (and it does seem like they're fixing some fairly serious bugs - which is great!)
Old 19th Jun 2018, 7:30 PM #7779
andru
Instructor

Has there been any footage showing transitions between Seasons? I still don't think I've seen how snow forms in the world, only footage of it already settled, or how trees transition between having leaves and not having leaves.

Edit - I just saw in Sims Supply's second video, when he changed the weather using the machine, the snow just fades out really quickly. It would look realistic if it was slower. You can see it here: https://youtu.be/e7ADYKAByiY?t=560 at 9:20 ish. I hope the transitions aren't that quick normally, and only this quick as a response to the machine.

Edit 2 - A little later, around 12:30 (https://youtu.be/e7ADYKAByiY?t=750) he uses the machine to advance the season, the leaves fade in on the trees quite quickly too, it looks quite cute actually, so I suspect the transitions will probably be fast.
Last edited by andru : 19th Jun 2018 at 7:46 PM.
Old 19th Jun 2018, 7:43 PM #7780
Dixieland
Field Researcher

According to the patch notes, all radios can now play the Electronica station? I don't have to use a mod anymore!?
I also like that the Squeamish trait has been updated to work with the rodents from Jungle Adventure; it's always nice to see integration between the packs.

Hmm...Grant wrote the patch notes? The notes were refreshingly to-the-point, so credit where it is due.

A fool and his money are soon parted. ~ Thomas Tusser
Old 19th Jun 2018, 7:43 PM #7781
Keren
Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by andru
Has there been any footage showing transitions between Seasons? I still don't think I've seen how snow forms in the world, only footage of it already settled, or how trees transition between having leaves and not having leaves.

Edit - I just saw in Sims Supply's second video, when he changed the weather using the machine, the snow just fades out really quickly. It would look realistic if it was slower. You can see it here: https://youtu.be/e7ADYKAByiY?t=560 at 9:20 ish. I hope the transitions aren't that quick normally, and only this quick as a response to the machine.

I didn't watch it throughout, but check this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78JzC7BIJVc
Old 19th Jun 2018, 8:00 PM #7782
hiabara
Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixieland
According to the patch notes, all radios can now play the Electronica station? I don't have to use a mod anymore!?
I also like that the Squeamish trait has been updated to work with the rodents from Jungle Adventure; it's always nice to see integration between the packs.

Hmm...Grant wrote the patch notes? The notes were refreshingly to-the-point, so credit where it is due.
But if someone wants to keep the hate train going - He's also the one who forgot to add the actual new gardening changes
Old 19th Jun 2018, 8:00 PM #7783
andru
Instructor

Quote:

Thanks, that's a great video, and exactly the kind of footage I was looking for.

Edit - I love the difference between Snow and Blizzards; although we know the textures are flat they've done a great job of making it appear that Blizzards bring more snow than just a regular snowfall. It fills in quicker, and the bushes have a lot more white on them. The grey hue helps give the illusion that the world is being more affected too because you can't see as far in the distance.
Old 19th Jun 2018, 8:17 PM #7784
Dixieland
Field Researcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiabara
But if someone wants to keep the hate train going - He's also the one who forgot to add the actual new gardening changes

Too true.

A fool and his money are soon parted. ~ Thomas Tusser
Old 19th Jun 2018, 8:24 PM #7785
SkyeBanshee
Test Subject

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiabara

Yeah, I noticed that when someone I follow on Tumblr posted the patch notes... I'd ask if maybe it's insomnia warp speed to the max twisting his brain around, but from everything I've read about him–and many other gurus–in recent months...

​Mind ye Threefold Law, ye should—three Times bad, and three Times good. An' it harm none, do what ye will.
Old 20th Jun 2018, 1:21 AM DefaultJust more thoughts #7786
grindingteeth
Field Researcher

6 Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andru
Edit - I just saw in Sims Supply's second video, when he changed the weather using the machine, the snow just fades out really quickly. It would look realistic if it was slower. Hopefully transitions aren't that quick normally, and only this quick as a response to the machine.

I was doing some reading - it appears it takes a full 7 days (minimum) for the season to change normally, sans machine. There's little pauses in the transition animations you can detect in the Sims Community video; looks like there is about 3 stages for each season, and then it changes over. But it might be more gradual than that.

I think this video really highlights some of the best things. The thunderstorm looks amazing... and I appreciate the gradual formation of puddles on the streets and in the routable surrounding areas. I didn't see any of the flowers blooming on the grass during spring/summer though. Maybe I am blind.

Seasonal transitions are the nicest and most charming change... As a person who lives in a 4 season part of the world, there are bits of every stage I find beautiful or nostalgic; it's nice to see the whole gamut in game.

Although you can really tell there's a lack of snow depth when watching sims walk around in winter, they did do a decent job of making it feel like it is accumulating. Looks quite pretty when sims aren't involved.

Seems sims act a little wonky in weather though, some tweaks to AI might need to be patched in later. Going jogging and doing pushups in a thunderstorm? I guess there's always a wierdo. Just generally wouldn't expect SO many sims out during blizzards and lightning.

Edit: Just noticed the edges of objects are softly blurred/ faded into the snow once enough has 'accumulated'.
Last edited by grindingteeth : 20th Jun 2018 at 2:30 AM.
Old 20th Jun 2018, 11:51 AM #7787
Gargoyle Cat
Alchemist

1 Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindingteeth

Seems sims act a little wonky in weather though, some tweaks to AI might need to be patched in later. Going jogging and doing pushups in a thunderstorm? I guess there's always a wierdo. Just generally wouldn't expect SO many sims out during blizzards and lightning.

There are plenty of real life weirdos that play golf during thunderstorms and even more that don't know to stay home during blizzards. Just sayin'.
Old 20th Jun 2018, 12:39 PM #7788
mixa97sr
Theorist

5 Achievements

Quote:

Why does fall take so quick to happen when he switches on the weather machine to fall? We don't even get to see the nice vibrant leaves for a long time, it's just few seconds. Same with winter. As soon as he changed it to winter it started snowing, and snow just accumulated in a second (30 sim minutes) I guess it's blizzard? And it just melted even quicker when he set it to spring. Whyyy for the love of god, someone tweak the effect lenght. God I already see the potential mods.

Thunderstorms are beautiful.
Old 20th Jun 2018, 1:02 PM #7789
Enjoji
Scholar

I am trying so hard to resist this pack - I'm still waiting for LGR's review and some other reviews/comments about actual gameplay Friday onwards...

However, the more I read, the more it feels like maybe this could be a pack worth checking out - there are some cool things in the pack (ie, the custom create-a-holiday, the calendar itself, the upgraded gardening system etc...), and despite the lack of snow depth, the weather effects look pretty good.

Will just wait it out until Friday, and I believe LGR's review will be next week, possibly Monday - as he said on Twitter, he once again didn't receive an early copy - and then I'll decide whether to hit up CD Keys for a cheaper copy or not...

EDIT - just watched the video Keren linked earlier - thunderstorms are quite lovely, and that lightning effect is awesome....

"When in doubt, blame Dad..."
Last edited by Enjoji : 20th Jun 2018 at 1:13 PM.
Old 20th Jun 2018, 1:14 PM #7790
Gargoyle Cat
Alchemist

1 Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enjoji

Will just wait it out until Friday, and I believe LGR's review will be next week, possibly Monday - as he said on Twitter, he once again didn't receive an early copy - and then I'll decide whether to hit up CD Keys for a copy or not...

I suspect Clint has been put on EA's bad list after the whole ball pit ordeal. They may not be ignoring him, but ever since that happened, no codes have been sent his way. I'm not sure why they'd be in a snit over what he said, as some of their minions Yibs didn't have nice things to say about the ball pit either, but EA...
Old 20th Jun 2018, 1:41 PM #7791
HCAC
Theorist

13 Achievements

View My Journal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enjoji

Will just wait it out until Friday, and I believe LGR's review will be next week, possibly Monday - as he said on Twitter, he once again didn't receive an early copy - and then I'll decide whether to hit up CD Keys for a cheaper copy or not...

I trust Clint's reviews 100%. I agreed with him on Sims 3. His interests in what he likes to see in the game are like mine and I based a lot of what I bought for Sims 3 on his reviews.

Although I don't have anything besides Sims 4 base game I am sorely tempted as well by Seasons 4...maybe if it goes under US $20.00.
Old 20th Jun 2018, 1:42 PM #7792
Keren
Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle Cat
I suspect Clint has been put on EA's bad list after the whole ball pit ordeal. They may not be ignoring him, but ever since that happened, no codes have been sent his way. I'm not sure why they'd be in a snit over what he said, as some of their minions Yibs didn't have nice things to say about the ball pit either, but EA...

Minions you say..

I had to put this here tho
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGNq2iGb-o8&t=1s
Old 20th Jun 2018, 2:56 PM #7793
bassoon_crazy
Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixa97sr
Why does fall take so quick to happen when he switches on the weather machine to fall? We don't even get to see the nice vibrant leaves for a long time, it's just few seconds. Same with winter. As soon as he changed it to winter it started snowing, and snow just accumulated in a second (30 sim minutes) I guess it's blizzard? And it just melted even quicker when he set it to spring. Whyyy for the love of god, someone tweak the effect lenght. God I already see the potential mods.

Could it be that changes brought about by the weather machine happen much at a much increased speed versus 'natural' changes in the game? I know in The Sims 3, if you changed from summer to winter the trees would cycle through autumn into winter quite quickly. Perhaps not this quickly, but it was a lot quicker.

♫ Keeping this here until EA gives us a proper playable woodwind/brass instrument ♫
Old 20th Jun 2018, 3:08 PM #7794
ticklish
Field Researcher

I got seasons on cd keys for 27.00 it is now 29.00 hopefully they give code when ea releases game 9 pm Thursday my time in Oregon.
Last edited by ticklish : 20th Jun 2018 at 3:11 PM. Reason: more info
Old 20th Jun 2018, 3:55 PM #7795
lil bag2
Mad Poster

2 Achievements

It really is a shame they've invalifated LGR just because he's one of the only reviewers to highlight both the good and bads of a pack and give a completely honest review. Shit they should be thanking him. I was gomna skip put on buying Cats and Dogs until his review showed that it wasn't as much of a waste as I thought it would be xD

The Receptacle still lives!
Old 20th Jun 2018, 3:59 PM #7796
Silly Merricat
Field Researcher

Looks like we're going to be getting more expansions after this one. There's at least a three year plan in the works:

http://simscommunity.info/2018/06/2...r-next-3-years/
Old 20th Jun 2018, 5:07 PM #7797
Gargoyle Cat
Alchemist

1 Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil bag2
It really is a shame they've invalifated LGR just because he's one of the only reviewers to highlight both the good and bads of a pack and give a completely honest review. Shit they should be thanking him. I was gomna skip put on buying Cats and Dogs until his review showed that it wasn't as much of a waste as I thought it would be xD

Fairy godmother, Kate, has another agenda.

Quote:
Kate (Currently On Vacation) @SimGuruKate Honesty & Integrity - Do we feel you can be trusted to stick to embargo and disclosure requirements?

https://twitter.com/SimGuruKate/sta...784728349184002

Because EA oozes honesty, integrity and trust out of every pore. Said nobody...ever.
Old 20th Jun 2018, 6:09 PM #7798
Inge Jones
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse

20 Achievements

"Are you positive, supportive, kind, mature, respectful? These are the things we look for in new Game Changers." I can think of one in particular who doesn't fit this...

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Old 20th Jun 2018, 6:17 PM #7799
Don Babilon
Department of Post-Mortem Communications

8 Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inge Jones
"Are you positive, supportive, kind, mature, respectful? These are the things we look for in new Game Changers." I can think of one in particular who doesn't fit this...
I bolded the important word here
Old 20th Jun 2018, 6:30 PM #7800
cheezypuff121P
Lab Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inge Jones

Whoawhoawhoa is there drama? I should pay more attention to this community and grab some popcorn lmao.

To be clear, this isn't referencing LGR right? Because I've never seen him behave in a way that would contradict those qualities, although I find the requirements that "Game Changers" be supportive and positive to be an odd specification. Makes it sound as if anything other than swooning sonnets about the majesty of the game(s) will be met with a cold shoulder and a ban from the cool kid's table.

Lurking since 10/2/07 ~ Call me Cheezy. ;)
Tumblr: http://mmmcheezy.tumblr.com/

Section jump: