Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Theorist
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Jan 2010 at 12:39 AM
Default Would it turn you off?
I feel weird posting 2 topics here in the same day but I think it's a valid discussion.....

So in CAW your world is surrounded by water, the only way to make it NOT this way is to use the DTO on a large map, obviously you can only use that in a couple of situations to get a good use out of it, which means you can only either 1. Only create islands or 2. Make a weird looking landmass that is surrounded by water anyway

So the question is, would you be put off from downloading a town if it wasn't an island? (Meaning a town that you would like to be surronded by land but is surrounded by water?)

I HATE this and hopefully EA can do something about it soon because I think it's pretty awful....... Though I ended up making a town with it anyway

Hi I'm Paul!
Advertisement
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
#2 Old 5th Jan 2010 at 1:26 AM
All the towns are actually surrounded by water. They just paint the "Camera unroutable" ring such that you cannot move the camera close enough to the edge that you can see it.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Theorist
Original Poster
#3 Old 5th Jan 2010 at 1:55 AM
Actually EA uses a object called Distant terrain which they use to cover up the water

Hi I'm Paul!
Scholar
#4 Old 5th Jan 2010 at 4:02 AM
Actually, what Pescado said is true, and what you said is true also.
Eminence Grise
#5 Old 5th Jan 2010 at 5:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Robodl95
So the question is, would you be put off from downloading a town if it wasn't an island? (Meaning a town that you would like to be surronded by land but is surrounded by water?)

To answer the original question, if the world builder uses both the available resources correctly, it should never be apparent to the player (unless they're a camera-hack using deviant, in which case they deserve what they get ) that there is water out there, so it shouldn't matter at all.

I'm sure that the reason the default is for the world to be surrounded by water, is that water which is completely flat and infinite in extent is perfectly natural in our experience... whereas the same is not true of land. If you have an infinite extent of completely flat land, it would look weird and you would have to cover it up anyway one way or another, so why bother providing it?

The way the Sims solves the problem of infinite distance is pretty much the way ALL computer games that I've seen world editors for do it *shrug*.