Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Banned
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Dec 2009 at 10:07 PM
Default Looking for some input on my in-progress world :D
Now that I figured out roads, I bothered to make a world. I started with a road map and a loose plan and came up with this, so far:

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/...dinprogress.png

On the left will be suburbs, middle is a town center area with shops, right part is for homes, beach area will have some community lots and homes, the airport is up in the right, and the road on the right is supposed to be the road out of town. The road beneath it, near the beach, will be extended and have houses going pretty far over to the side.

There's a valley to the left of the suburbs.

That thing in the top part is the science dome and 3 satellite dishes, just to keep a placer for where I might want stuff.

There are only 3 lots so far, one meant for a lake, a home next to it, and a community lot next to it.

I can't quite figure out the distant land mesh so I haven't done anything with that yet.

Is it looking good? Interesting? Diverse? I like the roadmap myself, it has lots of connections and I think the suburbs will look pretty once decorated(They're purposefully self-contained, if you notice- only one road in and out.) There will be stuff on the little island out front, too. :D
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 28th Dec 2009 at 12:16 AM
It looks like its shaping up nicely and wow your roads sure do look complex! I think once you start getting in some plants and some lots I could probably comment on it more but you've certainly got the hang of roads and terrain so well done!
Banned
Original Poster
#3 Old 28th Dec 2009 at 12:31 AM
Yeah, I just popped it in-game to check the lots and roads. Lot size seems to be a strange thing, the ones I have are mostly 20x15 or 20 x 25. And that seems small. I think the area I put it in will have smaller houses anyway, though.

There is lots of space for lots, and I added some paths and have plans for lots now. I just cannot figure out how to add distant terrain properly :\
Scholar
#4 Old 28th Dec 2009 at 1:09 AM
The CAW Walkthrough manual describes how to place Distant Terrain and even gives you the coordinates for each one.

http://www.thesims3.com/game/tools/world
Banned
Original Poster
#5 Old 28th Dec 2009 at 1:51 AM Last edited by Claeric : 28th Dec 2009 at 2:17 AM.
Oh, well that will help a lot. :p

http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/6587/lotplacement.png

There's the lot plcement so far(the image is tiny but the filesize is huge and I have no idea why. It's pissing me off. The image restrictions won't let me link to it as an image.)

Edit: The distant terrain is such bullcrap. I ALMOST can get it to fit nicely with my world, but it's freaking impossible to place!

You can only move it by adjusting where it is in the Property Browser, as far as I can tell, meaning if I try to move the camera to look, it thinks I'm moving it and I can't freaking see where it is. Meanwhile, you can't move it AFTER YOU PLACE IT, so I'm finding it impossible to get it to line up. This is ruining the whole thing :\
Eminence Grise
#6 Old 29th Dec 2009 at 1:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Claeric
the image is tiny but the filesize is huge and I have no idea why. It's pissing me off. The image restrictions won't let me link to it as an image.

It's huge because it's a .png. That's a lossless image format. For uploading images, you almost always want to use .jpg format.