Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Mar 2019 at 1:23 AM
Default Sims 2 and Nvidia RTX 2000-series cards?
I'm getting a new gaming laptop (the old non-gaming one is barely hanging on), but lately most of the available ones in my area (I need a particular keyboard) come with RTX cards from Nvidia. I know they're fairly new and quite expensive, but it does look like I don't have that much choice if I want a proper gaming laptop. Best I can find other than the RTX ones is one with 1070 (about as expensive as the RTX ones) and a bunch of 1050 and a few 1060 cards.

So my question is, does anyone have any experience with RTX cards and compatibility with Sims 2? I am planning to play other games as well, possibly some that this type of card is more geared towards, but TS2 is my main concern because I really want to get back to playing.

(I tried asking over in the Computer & software section, but got no answers, and since it's technically related to TS2 and may benefit other people who are also looking to get new laptops now that Nvidia seems to be quickly phasing out the 1000 series, I thought it might spark some interest)
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 15th Mar 2019 at 2:03 AM
maybe sims 2 help section would be a better place to ask than game play chat though.

I have no experience with those cards. Mine is a 1050Ti and my game looks mostly very nice. I do get some faint lines though, like the smallest fissure on the ground and right above sim lips.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 15th Mar 2019 at 10:17 AM
Decided on pretty much the last one I could find with a 1070 card after some recommendations from a friend who's a bit more into computers than I am, so I guess that's settled. The RTX ones do seem quite overpriced and overhyped, and by the time I'm looking for another laptop some years from now there's probably yet another generation of Nvidia cards (or something else entirely).

Just hoping I made a good choice, and that I manage to install TS2 on it without too much hassle. I guess now I have to decide on whether to install the UC, or find some way of using my CD versions on a laptop without an optical drive (I did get one of those external optical drives/burners just in case, because I do have some discs of various kinds laying around).

Is it still possible to get the UC to run without having Origin open, and not having it update if I do open Origin? (I did get the UC while they offered it for free, but never downloaded - it's just in my Origin library for now).
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#4 Old 15th Mar 2019 at 10:32 AM
I bought the ti because of the crypto mining, others seemed way overpriced and that one was back far enough not to be too popular. 1070 should be really good.

I heard you need a shortcut on the desktop, connect then take it offline.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Scholar
#5 Old 15th Mar 2019 at 2:23 PM
Does your laptop have dual GPUs? I ran into a problem trying to help a friend with a dual-GPU (Intel + NVIDIA 1060) set up Sims 2. Would only work right with an external monitor.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#6 Old 15th Mar 2019 at 3:02 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 15th Mar 2019 at 3:16 PM.
I've got dual cards on my current laptop and I've had some issues - it kept switching to the Intel card when the auto setting was on, and the manual setting wouldn't stick properly. Once I figured out how to work around that, it worked relatively fine with a few hiccups/setbacks here and there. Lately I've had to set the Nvidia card as the main one before starting up the game to be able to run it, and switched back to auto after playing (unless the laptop crashed/bluescreened/turned off, that is). I think some component (one of the GPUs, CPU, power unit or some other component is close to getting fried, though. The laptop has been acting up ever since the battery died a year ago.

Pretty sure the new one has a single GPU, so hopefully that shouldn't be too big of a problem. The type of laptop I'm getting has a setup that's geared towards being possible to do hardware upgrades on, so hopefully it's easier to do maintenance on it later if need be (not saying I'll do the maintenance, because I've not even installed Windows on a machine before, let alone dug around in the hardware, but maybe someone else can help me with that... ).

While I've been researching laptops, I've been watching anything from laptop tests to how to build a stationary computer, and it may not be as difficult as I'm imagining it is. Even found one on how to open up the type of laptop I'm getting...
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 15th Mar 2019 at 3:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Decided on pretty much the last one I could find with a 1070 card after some recommendations from a friend who's a bit more into computers than I am, so I guess that's settled. The RTX ones do seem quite overpriced and overhyped, and by the time I'm looking for another laptop some years from now there's probably yet another generation of Nvidia cards (or something else entirely).

Just hoping I made a good choice, and that I manage to install TS2 on it without too much hassle. I guess now I have to decide on whether to install the UC, or find some way of using my CD versions on a laptop without an optical drive (I did get one of those external optical drives/burners just in case, because I do have some discs of various kinds laying around).

Is it still possible to get the UC to run without having Origin open, and not having it update if I do open Origin? (I did get the UC while they offered it for free, but never downloaded - it's just in my Origin library for now).

The only way to get the UC to run without Origin is to follow the last step of the Securom removal instructions from Leefish. Can't say what that is here though, you will have to look. With that you can run the game with no Origin installed at all if you wanted. You might want to let it update though, if you do download the UC. A update removed Securom from the downloaded version. There is a saved copy of that "thing" over on SFS, so I can PM you a link to it if you want.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#8 Old 15th Mar 2019 at 3:43 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 15th Mar 2019 at 3:58 PM.
If you can PM me the SFS link, then yes please
I know of Leefish's site, so I can probably locate the links I need from there. I read a few of them back when I had issues with my current laptop.

I've never had to deal with the UC, so if I decide to use it (and I'd very much like the no Securom version, even though I haven't had any noticeable problems with the version for the CDs...) I guess there's going to be a learning curve on the install/use process (plus SimPE and all those other things I'll have to set up).

Origin is a messy beast. I had to deal with it when I installed TS4, and the amount of game updates that game throws at you is crazy (plus, the auto-updates shaves so much time off your playtime). My current C drive is rather small (300 GB) and was already pretty full when I installed TS4, so having updates adding several GBs worth of stuff thrown my way every time I loaded up the game wasn't all that fun. I haven't played TS4 in a couple of years now because I've dreaded the huge update I've had a feeling is waiting for me, but I'll probably install it (and TS3 as well).
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 15th Mar 2019 at 4:10 PM
If you can PM me the SFS link, then yes please
I know of Leefish's site, so I can probably locate the links I need from there. I read a few of them back when I had issues with my current laptop.

I've never had to deal with the UC, so if I decide to use it (and I'd very much like the no Securom version, even though I haven't had any noticeable problems with the version for the CDs...) I guess there's going to be a learning curve on the install/use process (plus SimPE and all those other things I'll have to set up).

Origin is a messy beast. I had to deal with it when I installed TS4, and the amount of game updates that game throws at you is crazy (plus, the auto-updates shaves so much time off your playtime). My current C drive is rather small (300 GB) and was already pretty full when I installed TS4, so having updates adding several GBs worth of stuff thrown my way every time I loaded up the game wasn't all that fun. I haven't played TS4 in a couple of years now because I've dreaded the huge update I've had a feeling is waiting for me, but I'll probably install it (and TS3 as well).

Sent. I have not had Origin installed since I finished downloading the UC to my new pc. Don't play 4, and have 3 on disk, so I have no need for it. Ya you will want to keep it around if you plan on playing 4 again though, no way around that.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#10 Old 15th Mar 2019 at 4:41 PM
I've got 3 on disk too, but the last EP broke my game, so unless it works with the optic drive I got, I probably have to find a way around using Orgin. i do have 4 on discs too (BG+GTW, and C&D which I got in the mail today - no idea yet if it comes on disc), but one of the CDs for the basegame didn't work, so there was no way around Origin.

Thanks, by the way
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 15th Mar 2019 at 4:52 PM
I've got 3 on disk too, but the last EP broke my game, so unless it works with the optic drive I got, I probably have to find a way around using Orgin. i do have 4 on discs too (BG+GTW, and C&D which I got in the mail today - no idea yet if it comes on disc), but one of the CDs for the basegame didn't work, so there was no way around Origin.

Thanks, by the way

Your welcome. How does a EP break your game? Anyway, if you can at least use the disks to download 3 to your new pc, then you could scoot over to NRAAS to get the NoCD mod, so you will never need to have a disk to play.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#12 Old 15th Mar 2019 at 5:14 PM
The install CD for IttF didn't want to run properly (made some weird noises), and I wasn't able to run the game after that. Could've reinstalled, but didn't bother at the time. Same with the TS4 disc (I think there were two discs, one worked but the other didn't, but I solved it by repairing the game via Origin). I'll probably want to figure out a way now, though.

The laptop's optical drive (BD-drive) has been a bit iffy ever since I got it. It runs some CDs (no issues with TS2 and most of TS3) but refuses to run newer DVDs for watching movies, and various other things.
Test Subject
#13 Old 15th Mar 2019 at 6:23 PM
You can disable automatic updates on Origin It's under the Origin tab at the top. Go to application settings, and you can disable both game and Origin updates.
Test Subject
#14 Old 17th Mar 2019 at 1:22 AM
I have an RTX 2080 and the Sims 2 does not and probably will not work. You made a good choice going lower.